Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Beckham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Think spurs would be mad to sign him-this season they are most efective playing at pace which is simething DB hadn't got at 25 let alone at 35....he would only slow them down and nullify their strongest points. If they want a short term US deal what about Donovan who came to Everton last year?can't see what's in it for Spurs unless 'Arry has an inside line/cut out of jersey sales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Think spurs would be mad to sign him-this season they are most efective playing at pace which is simething DB hadn't got at 25 let alone at 35....he would only slow them down and nullify their strongest points.

Agree with that, but a lot more teams that come to WHL shut up shop and hope for a draw (eg Newcastle and Fulham in our last 2 games), even some away teams will be playing very definsively against us. In those games Lennon, while he has improved his final ball a lot in the last year, wont be very effective. Beckham would be good for these games, especially when Crouch is on the field.
    When I first heard this rumour I really hoped he wouldn't come, but now I really dont mind, he'd be a better replacement than Bentley anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

THFC wrote: »
    Agree with that, but a lot more teams that come to WHL shut up shop and hope for a draw (eg Newcastle and Fulham in our last 2 games), even some away teams will be playing very definsively against us. In those games Lennon, while he has improved his final ball a lot in the last year, wont be very effective. Beckham would be good for these games, especially when Crouch is on the field.
    When I first heard this rumour I really hoped he wouldn't come, but now I really dont mind, he'd be a better replacement than Bentley anyways.

Meant to be 14 clubs looking for him on loan as well.
    Bently is injured a lot at the moment as well I'd love to have him come down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Kold wrote: »
    You know what? I was opposed when I first heard it but I'm pretty ok with Beckham coming to Spurs. We have Lennon coming back into form and I doubt he'd usurp him but otherwise there's Bentley... And I think Harry would prefer Niko or even Bale there than Bentley. If anything Bentley could learn from a player that plays a similar game (if he isn't offloaded anyway). I think some of the Beckham hatred in this country is ridiculous, he's always been a model pro. For 3 months it's not going to bankrupt us either.

I'd just be worried about the circus effect. Not to mention the reports that he would become Spurs' highest payed player for the time he is here. It's not much use raising the club's world profile and making a profit if the other player's heads are turned and form dips leaving Spurs back in Europa League territory. The team is playing well and still on the coattails of the title, why would anyone jeapordise this with a short term money making signing? Spurs should be looking at a decent signing in the peak of his career to maybe make that push needed this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mister men wrote: »
    The man is a living monument to mediocrity. Never mentioned as one of the top footballers of his generation (by proper football people) yet has somehow become an icon. Madness. Hopefully ends up at Spurs.

I just can't agree with that.

If you're mediocre you don't play almost 400 times for Manchester United, 155 times for Real Madrid and around 30 times for AC Milan (a top, top club who signed him on loan when he was well into his 30's) or 115 times for England whilst captaining them for years.

Regardless of whether you like him or not, you can't brand David Beckham as 'medicore'. It's just simply not true.

I think a lot of football fans don't like David Beckham because they're somewhat bitter about what he has achieved. He's been there and done it at top football clubs, he's a sex symbol to both women and men, has a celebrity wife, drives top sports cars and has houses all over the world. Basically he has a life that 99.9% of the world's population could only dream of.

Now, in spite of the above he has never given anything less than 100% for any club he has played for and everytime he has been criticised by the media and fans he has proven them wrong every single time. According to the media and most fans he'd never be able to play for England again after World Cup '98, he'd be finished once he left Manchester United, he'd never have an impact at Real Madrid, he'd never play for England again after World Cup '02, he'd never play for England again after Euro '04, he'd never play football again at a competitive level once he left Real Madrid blah, blah, blah, every single time that man has proven people who have doubted him wrong.

Whilst he could be sunning himself by the pool of his LA mansion he was out promoting England's World Cup bid despite being told by Fabio Capello his England career is over. Now whilst he could be doing the aforementioned things he's wanting to come back and play Premier League football.

Whoever gets David Beckham on loan will be gaining an advantge, both on their current squad and for the future.

I'm not a Manchester United, Real Madrid, AC Milan or LA Galaxy fan nor am I an England fan, but I certainly am a David Beckham fan. He's an inspiration and a top professional and has done more for the game than the vast majority.

He should be knighted IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

becks is past it

end of story, anyone who seriously thinks he can do a job at spurs or pool is in ga ga land

even the stage when he sold shirts to kids is gone, can you really imagine kids buying tops with beckham on the back...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

can you really imagine kids buying tops with beckham on the back...

Erm... yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

can you really imagine kids buying tops with beckham on the back...

Thats gotta be up there with ''You'll never win anything with kids''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

becks is past it

end of story, anyone who seriously thinks he can do a job at spurs or pool is in ga ga land

even the stage when he sold shirts to kids is gone, can you really imagine kids buying tops with beckham on the back...

This is pretty much what people said before his first loan spell at Milan.

I'd have my doubts about his ability to stand the premiership tempo too, but pace was never a huge part of his game, and spurs have the kind of players in midfield that can win him a bit of time on the ball. He could be a useful squad player, and also make a contribution behind the scenes.

• Advertisement

becks is past it

Are you for real? He was past it 5 years ago according to Mensa students like yourself and he proved everyone wrong (for about the 5th time in his career).

He's a class act and could still do the business at the highest level in the Premier League. If you think he couldn't do the business at a Europa League challenging club like Liverpool then you're having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mister men wrote: »
    The man is a living monument to mediocrity. Never mentioned as one of the top footballers of his generation (by proper football people) yet has somehow become an icon. Madness. Hopefully ends up at Spurs.
    Rubbish.

And besides all he done in his prime, you just have to go back to what he did for Capello at Real Madrid in his last season there. He was simply outstanding for them.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Rubbish.

And besides all he done in his prime, you just have to go back to what he did for Capello at Real Madrid in his last season there. He was simply outstanding for them.

Correct. He had Madrid practically begging for him to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why do people always need to make a point by jumping to one extreme?

he could not do the business at the highest level in the premier league, its a nice thought but he just couldnt, he could do a job for a mid level team for sure but his time as a top level player is over, this is hardly a crime at 35 (whoops, was putting years on the man)

I have to give him credit for his hollywood mop of hair, not bad for somone who was almost bald a few years ago

I would love to eat humble pie, so bring on the becks to spurs, pool...

kryogen wrote: »
    Why do people always need to make a point by jumping to one extreme?

he could not do the business at the highest level in the premier league, its a nice thought but he just couldnt, he could do a job for a mid level team for sure but his time as a top level player is over, this is hardly a crime at 35 (whoops, was putting years on the man)
    Age hasn't affected giggs or scholes apart from the number of games a season they can play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Don't think a move to Spurs makes sense. What Spurs need now is a player/ couple of players to bring them from where they are to a team capable of winning the league. Beckham is not that player, certainly not on a three month contract anyways.
    Besides that I don't know where they'd play him, surely his lack of pace would severely affect the way Spurs play?

Liverpool would be a good move for both parties but it won't happen I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Age hasn't affected giggs or scholes apart from the number of games a season they can play.

This is a really feeble argument.

Maldini played top class stuff till he was 40, does that mean Scholes and Giggs automatically will as well?

I would have thought it's pretty obvious that the rate of decline varies from player to player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Don't think a move to Spurs makes sense. What Spurs need now is a player/ couple of players to bring them from where they are to a team capable of winning the league. Beckham is not that player, certainly not on a three month contract anyways.
    Besides that I don't know where they'd play him, surely his lack of pace would severely affect the way Spurs play?

Liverpool would be a good move for both parties but it won't happen I'd imagine.

You won't get a player like that in the January window though - or at least it is very unlikely.

Beckham would be a good short term option for them over the next couple of months, and then they can go looking for a long term special player in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yes it has

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just on the Beckham topic i just seen this tweeted by Sid Lowe

RT @BrianStraus: Beckham has played 57 games for @LAGalaxy in the past 4 years. He's played in 33 games for AC Milan and 21 for England.

Couldn't quiet believe that that is all he has play for LA Galaxy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I have to give him credit for his hollywood mop of hair, not bad for somone who was almost bald a few years ago

I would love to eat humble pie, so bring on the becks to spurs, pool...
    Jesus christ.

Do you understand the concept of shaving?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

Do you understand the concept of shaving?

I think any concepts could be too hard for him to grasp!

Beckham arrived at Spurs this morning for a medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Personally I think this is a bad move. It's not his age that would put me off but Spurs were doing well enough and had some sort of stabilty but now with the Beckham circus coming to town, there will be more media on their case and it can be distracting for a team that was doing well.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's how I see it now.

His presents at the world cup didn't exactly do anything for the team out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Isn't he 'training' with Spurs for a month?

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Isn't he 'training' with Spurs for a month?

erm... yes for marketing purproses*

*may or may not be true, pending on whether spurs think its viable to pay becks 150k a week for training purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

His presents at the world cup didn't exactly do anything for the team out there.

What 'presents' would they be? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

A lot of people subscribing to the popular Dunphy 'anti-hype' view it seems. Maybe people aren't fond of his 'image' or how he perhaps embodies the modern shift of the game towards celebrity, stardom and the player as a marketing tool and this is clouding their judgement of his ability of a footballer.

He was never the best player in the world, but how anyone could argue he wouldn't improve Spurs' or Newcastle's squad is beyond me. Granted I haven't seen him for a while, but if he is near the level he was at AC Milan he'll be a great short term addition.

Most of Spurs' players have never been near a stage like the Champions League knockout phases, and Beckham has played in some of the biggest matches and with and against some the greatest players in the world. He will bring great experience and a level head to Spurs in these matches. He is, also, arguably the greatest striker of a dead ball in world football and this is a very important attribute.

I think a lot of people who 'don't want to believe the hype' have gone full circle and adopted Dunphy's anti-hype position (his view on Ronaldo being the most obvious example of the ridiculousness of this stance). I think it must be a kind of popular position to hold amongst the 'alternative' or 'purist' football fan who yearn for the days of yore when 'real men' played football. Because I can not for the life of me see how one can't see how his footballing abilities, experience and professionalism would not benefit Spurs or Newcastle. To say that he was a 'mediocre' player is as much of a myth as to say he was the best in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Image? The man looks like a vagrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Personally; Dunphy cracks me up...
    He is biased but he is entitled to his own opinion :)

I take everything he says with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement

Just saw on twitter that David Beckham went down with an injury scare just for him to check a blister before resuming training :pac: I can't believe they tweet this crap without knowing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Just saw on twitter that David Beckham went down with an injury scare just for him to check a blister before resuming training :pac: I can't believe they tweet this crap without knowing anything

They were all over it on SSN, i really think this is a bad move for Spurs, the training ground has been a media circus since he arrived, not exactly what Spurs need right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That's funny, I can remember him swinging in the final corner in 1999 champions league final, playing a big part in Utd's dominance in the late 1990's/early 2000's and coming back from the dead with Real Madrid and driving them towards the league title in the 06/07 season.

Oh yeah, i forgot he could cross a ball!! What a superstar!!!!!!

Because football is all about putting a f*cking cross in!!! If he wasn't English, you wouldn't give a ****! And if he didn't play for Utd, you would give less of a fu*k!! And the fact that he's famous for crossing a ball sums it all up.

The bloke is a farce!

And now Sky Sports News covers his medical as he trains for Spurs. Not signing for them, just trains. The bloke is a farce who has blown his proper footballing career away so that he can carry on the banality for many years to come and we're gonna have to put up with his LA/Tom Cruise bull****!!

monkey9 wrote: »

Because football is all about putting a f*cking cross in!!! If he wasn't English, you wouldn't give a ****! And if he didn't play for Utd, you would give less of a fu*k!! And the fact that he's famous for crossing a ball sums it all up.

The bloke is a farce!

And now Sky Sports News covers his medical as he trains for Spurs. Not signing for them, just trains. The bloke is a farce who has blown his proper footballing career away so that he can carry on the banality for many years to come and we're gonna have to put up with his LA/Tom Cruise bull****!!
    God you talk an awful lot of bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The bloke is a farce!

So breaking this all down, you were mad into Posh Spice and you have hated Beckham ever since he got her.

Or is it something else that is blinding you to how good a footballer he actually was and may still be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Meanwhile, Thierry Henry has been training with Arsenal for the last few weeks without a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

FatherTed wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Thierry Henry has been training with Arsenal for the last few weeks without a peep.

We need to sign him up on loan imo

Just on Becks, he trained with us before and I seem to recall very little coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The bloke is a farce!

What's the big fuc**** deal with Ronaldo at Real Madrid?

All he does is score fu*king goals every fuc**** game!!! Like come on to fu*k!!

*He was an integral part of the Man Utd side that won the premiership several times in addition to the champions league and enjoys a successful career in a foreign country with another club. I'm just bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just on Becks, he trained with us before and I seem to recall very little coverage.

Yup, he trained with us last year for two weeks and there was nothing made of it, it barely made the papers. So either the media have jumped on it because it's such a quiet transfer window, or Spurs are happy to keep pushing it out there into the public eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

BERBA wrote: »
    What 'presents' would they be? :D

Sorry, presence.

Hows that?

God you talk an awful lot of bollocks.

Man U fan, perchance?

What's the big fuc**** deal with Ronaldo at Real Madrid?

All he does is score fu*king goals every fuc**** game!!! Like come on to fu*k!!

*He was an integral part of the Man Utd side that won the premiership several times in addition to the champions league and enjoys a successful career in a foreign country with another club. I'm just bitter.

Ferguson f*cked Beckham out of Utd cos his celebrity status overtook his talent.

Beckham is a great freekick taker, can cross the ball in well. He's your average British footballer.

But if you have no interest in football, you would still know about Beckham. You would think he was world class. He's not. He went to Madrid as a Galactico. Celebrity.

Would he make it at Barca??? Not a f*cking chance. They don't rely on crosses. They play football.

Beckham being considered as a world class footballer is like saying Westlife are more talented than The Beatles cos they've had more number ones.

Ferguson f*cked Beckham out of Utd cos his celebrity status overtook his talent.

Beckham is a great freekick taker, can cross the ball in well. He's your average British footballer.

But if you have no interest in football, you would still know about Beckham. You would think he was world class. He's not. He went to Madrid as a Galactico. Celebrity.

Would he make it at Barca??? Not a f*cking chance. They don't rely on crosses. They play football.

Beckham being considered as a world class footballer is like saying Westlife are more talented than The Beatles cos they've had more number ones.

true

but even now i dont think becks can even take free kicks...

maradona would be better... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz72wTM9HIw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He was never world class IMO, but he has played for and excelled at arguably the biggest teams in England, Spain and Italy - supporters of all 3 clubs have nothing but good to say for the guy. Not bad for a celebrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I thought he was world class in his day tbh, and he is still a quality footballer.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    He was never world class IMO, but he has played for and excelled at arguably the biggest teams in England, Spain and Italy - supporters of all 3 clubs have nothing but good to say for the guy. Not bad for a celebrity.

I'm not saying he was crap. He was average with a decent enough right foot. And this really is not a Man U thing, I can accept when Man U players are legends. The likes of Giggs and Scholes that i've seen play through the years?? I have nothing but respect for them.

But i hate that people would think that David Beckham is the standard for modern football. This f*cking eejit got a lifetime award or something like that at the BBC Sports Personality!!

For f*ck sake. Can we not just move away from this bizarre 21st century obsession with rewarding mediocrity. We have it with Big Brother, X-Factor etc.

He's trying to break America while at the same time keeping his profile up in Europe!! He completely and absolutely wrecks my head. And yes, if it was Liverpool he started off at instead of Utd, i would feel the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ferguson may have got rid of Becks because his celebrity status overshadowed his talent but the key word there is 'talent'. He wouldn't have been there in the first place had he not been special. Average British footballers do not help to win trebles (and he was integral to the success in the years he was there no question). He went on to do well in Spain too so the comment about him not fitting in with Barca is a bit desperate.

Also last I checked crosses were a part of football and as for Barca 'not relying on crosses'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I thought he was world class in his day tbh, and he is still a quality footballer.

He was a fantastic crosser of the ball, not to mention his ability from free kicks, but he was never a true world class player, like the greats of his day like Zidane for example.
    He had great qualities and as a United fan I can appreciate how much he brought to the club.
    To be fair to him he's decent enough for his age but compare him to Giggs or Scholes and you begin to see why Fergie wasn't too upset to let him move on.
    A bit like Gary Neville these days, there's still the old quality there at times but it's probably time to give up the ghost.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm not saying he was crap. He was average with a decent enough right foot. And this really is not a Man U thing, I can accept when Man U players are legends. The likes of Giggs and Scholes that i've seen play through the years?? I have nothing but respect for them.

But i hate that people would think that David Beckham is the standard for modern football. This f*cking eejit got a lifetime award or something like that at the BBC Sports Personality!!

For f*ck sake. Can we not just move away from this bizarre 21st century obsession with rewarding mediocrity. We have it with Big Brother, X-Factor etc.

He's trying to break America while at the same time keeping his profile up in Europe!! He completely and absolutely wrecks my head. And yes, if it was Liverpool he started off at instead of Utd, i would feel the same way.

Who exactly are you aiming these rants at? As far as I can see most people in this thread are being pretty realistic about the guy's talents. He was a superb footballer and a model professional and still has something to offer. Your underrating of him by calling him mediocre is worse than anything complimentary thats been said about him in this thread. You're really letting the guy bother you far more than its worth, especially when he's way way way down the list of professional footballers who are deserving of your over the top sense of outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nullzero wrote: »
    He was a fantastic crosser of the ball, not to mention his ability from free kicks, but he was never a true world class player, like the greats of his day like Zidane for example.
    He had great qualities and as a United fan I can appreciate how much he brought to the club.
    To be fair to him he's decent enough for his age but compare him to Giggs or Scholes and you begin to see why Fergie wasn't too upset to let him move on.
    A bit like Gary Neville these days, there's still the old quality there at times but it's probably time to give up the ghost.

It depends on what you define world class as, and I know it's a term used very loosely these days.

However I think for a couple of years Beckham was the best player in his position in the world. His ability to pick a man out from a cross caused havoc for any defence and he was a massive factor in the success of the Yorke/Cole partnership. There are so many strikers who would have given their left bollock to be on the receiving end of the service he provided.

Sure he had the whole superstar nonsense going on but he has always been a model professional and was still one of, if not the, fittest player at the club when he was at Milan.

There's a lot of silly hate towards Beckham but really there was no better at pinging a ball 50 yards, and there may not be for a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement