Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Beckham

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ferguson may have got rid of Becks because his celebrity status overshadowed his talent but the key word there is 'talent'. He wouldn't have been there in the first place had he not been special. Average British footballers do not help to win trebles (and he was integral to the success in the years he was there no question). He went on to do well in Spain too so the comment about him not fitting in with Barca is a bit desperate.

Also last I checked crosses were a part of football and as for Barca 'not relying on crosses'...

Bid difference between Real Madrid and Barcelona's footballing philosophies right now.

I didn't bother looking at your video cos i assume that it's a Barca goal scored from a cross. My point is, Barca don't rely on that. They play through you. They play football.

Real Madrid ended up relying on Beckham in the end when Capello was manager?? I wonder why?

And tell me, what happened to Capello after he won that league??

I just don't rate Beckham. I think he's an average footballer who happened to be English and was built up to be an icon! It's a really sad state of affairs when he is meant to be an ambassador.

If i was to ask my fecking Ma who David Beckham was, she'd answer straight away. Ask her who Lionel Messi is?? Not an iota!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

monkey9 wrote: »
    Bid difference between Real Madrid and Barcelona's footballing philosophies right now.

I didn't bother looking at your video cos i assume that it's a Barca goal scored from a cross. My point is, Barca don't rely on that. They play through you. They play football.

Real Madrid ended up relying on Beckham in the end when Capello was manager?? I wonder why?

And tell me, what happened to Capello after he won that league??

I just don't rate Beckham. I think he's an average footballer who happened to be English and was built up to be an icon! It's a really sad state of affairs when he is meant to be an ambassador.

If i was to ask my fecking Ma who David Beckham was, she'd answer straight away. Ask her who Lionel Messi is?? Not an iota!!

You're mother's lack of footballing knowledge is hardly David Beckham's fault.

Capello's firing is irrelevant.

Good footballing teams are well capable of crossing the ball and do so regularly.

Go to bed, you're drunk.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Who exactly are you aiming these rants at? As far as I can see most people in this thread are being pretty realistic about the guy's talents. He was a superb footballer and a model professional and still has something to offer. Your underrating of him by calling him mediocre is worse than anything complimentary thats been said about him in this thread. You're really letting the guy bother you far more than its worth, especially when he's way way way down the list of professional footballers who are deserving of your over the top sense of outrage.

Flah, i depise that this bloke is meant to be the standout performer in the sport i love. The way he's built up in terms of his talent by the media is meant to put him up there with Maradona and Pele.

The bloke had a decent right foot. That's it!! Seriously, that's it!!! And yet, we're subjected to hearing about his different hairstyles!!!!!!!

Flah, i depise that this bloke is meant to be the standout performer in the sport i love. The way he's built up in terms of his talent by the media is meant to put him up there with Maradona and Pele.

The bloke had a decent right foot. That's it!! Seriously, that's it!!! And yet, we're subjected to hearing about his different hairstyles!!!!!!!

Who says that he's the standout performer in the game? Winning the BBC's Sports Personality certainly doesn't. Winning the Ballon d'Or would say he's the best in the game and AFAIR he hasn't even been nominated for that in many's a year.

And surely you'd be better off directing your ire at the media for overhyping him at than Beckham himself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It depends on what you define world class as, and I know it's a term used very loosely these days.

However I think for a couple of years Beckham was the best player in his position in the world. His ability to pick a man out from a cross caused havoc for any defence and he was a massive factor in the success of the Yorke/Cole partnership. There are so many strikers who would have given their left bollock to be on the receiving end of the service he provided.

Sure he had the whole superstar nonsense going on but he has always been a model professional and was still one of, if not the, fittest player at the club when he was at Milan.

There's a lot of silly hate towards Beckham but really there was no better at pinging a ball 50 yards, and there may not be for a long time.

Peter Reid pinged a savage 40 yard pass or so to lineker in the FA cup final in 1986 and he didnt become a celb over it...;)

Peter Reid pinged a savage 40 yard pass or so to lineker in the FA cup final in 1986 and he didnt become a celb over it...;)

Too ugly in fairness. No one wants to see old monkey head in a sarong.:eek:

Too ugly in fairness. No one wants to see old monkey head in a sarong.:eek:

there we go again, thats blatant sexism!

Becks is using some serious dose of hair remedy stuff now i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He has much more than just a right foot.

His work ethic, vision, determination and stamina are top class.

Good footballing teams are well capable of crossing the ball and do so regularly.

Go to bed, you're drunk.

Drunk?? So i don't rate Beckham the way Sky rate him, i'm therefore drunk??

First off all, i'm not drunk.

Second of all, if he was Italian or Spanish or German, would he be considered one of the greatest players in the world??? I doubt it.

The bloke went to LA in his early thirties, that's how much he loves football. But of course, it was his mission to build up the MSL!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The bloke had a decent right foot. That's it!! Seriously, that's it!!!

A couple of the best managers in the world would disagree with you.

• Advertisement

Drunk?? So i don't rate Beckham the way Sky rate him, i'm therefore drunk??

First off all, i'm not drunk.

Second of all, if he was Italian or Spanish or German, would he be considered one of the greatest players in the world??? I doubt it.

The bloke went to LA in his early thirties, that's how much he loves football. But of course, it was his mission to build up the MSL!

Your irrational ranting about Fabio Capello and your mother has all the hallmarks of a young fella who's had one too many Bacardi Breezers.

The English media's penchant for overrating their own is well established. Its not Beckham's fault if they overrate him. Your ire is misdirected. Just as much as they overrate them, you're not giving him any credit for being the footballer he was and to a certain extent still is.

Btw, he came second to Luis Figo in the world player of the year in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/1715960.stm

That's how good his fellow professionals thought he was at the time.

Monkey, you are being highly insulting towards the man because you are letting the celebrity football culture of today cloud your judgement.

Btw, he came second to Luis Figo in the world player of the year in 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/1715960.stm

That's how good his fellow professionals thought he was at the time.

Monkey, you are being highly insulting towards the man because you are letting the celebrity football culture of today cloud your judgement.

But did the goal against Greece contribute towards that?? Genuinely just asking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But did the goal against Greece contribute towards that?? Genuinely just asking!!

Of course it did, sure it was a moment of sheer brilliance in a crucial situation.

Go to bed, you're drunk.

And also, i was using me ma as an example. Not literally!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, it's all a big conspiracy by the english media to fix the voting so that Beckham came second :rolleyes:

Do you even know how the voting works?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course it did, sure it was a moment of sheer brilliance in a crucial situation.

Was that enough for Player of the Year??

lads relax a little...

There can be no doubt he is a celeb work horse and is responsible for audacious aftershave that no one ever used....

but, aside from that he was a good player back in his time.. probably a bit over rated. I do admire his fitness levels as he is shoving on a bit now but can still play MSL level.

In terms of great players, Zidane would be miles ahead on the footie stakes, Zidane was also a great header of the , erm ball....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Was that enough for Player of the Year??

Well he didn't win so clearly not.

• Advertisement

he got an award for this...!

244424_large.jpg

He came second to Rivaldo in the 1999 world player of the year also.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=71990.html

Suppose his goal against Greece in 2001 is the reason for that .........oh

A couple of the best managers in the world would disagree with you.

Trappatoni is one of the greatest managers off all time. He loves Glenn Whelan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

you are letting the celebrity football culture of today cloud your judgement.

This is the key point to this whole thread imo.

Read my earlier post in this thread re: this. It's the Dunphy 'anti-hype' view that states that Ronaldo is not a great player and that Beckham was medicore, never any better than the likes of Michael Carrick.

Yes Messi is better and yes it's a shame that he's perhaps not as well known worldwide. This doesn't change the fact that Beckham was a top class player for a number of top class teams, and clearly still has a lot to offer the likes of Spurs or Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wonder if he will go into coaching after he retires.

I don't think he will make it big in Hollywood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

A few David B's football institutes around the world(Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Africa) and he'll be singing his way to the bank :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

He came second to Rivaldo in the 1999 world player of the year also.

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/awards/gala/news/newsid=71990.html

Suppose his goal against Greece in 2001 is the reason for that .........oh

Says everything about that award. If any Man utd player was to come second that year it was Roy Keane. If you look at this years award to Messi when both Xavi and Iniesta had better years when taking the world cup into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Oh btw, he watched the game today... I wonder if he was rooting for Spurs/United ;)

who cares

Becks syndrome is getting a bit OTT by now

who cares

Becks syndrome is getting a bit OTT by now

Why bump the thread then? Nearly as bad as the thread you started last week.

Advertisement