Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Scope

Options
  • 03-01-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have a cz 452 .22lr with a bushnell elite 3200 3/9x40 scope fitted but don't find it great for shooting targets on the range as they are hard to see through it and I'm wondering whats the common size scope to use on a .22 without going overboard as i would like to change up, my current scope is only a few months old, all input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

I think the leupold 6.5-20x40 efr variable a great little scope for .22 targets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

thats actually a very good scope you have, saying that if you are unhappy with it i'm sure you would sell it here easily enough,
    for a new scope first things first, whhat is your budget
    and what will the rifle be used for, is it purely target shooting at a range or will you be hunting aswell, if its just range work you can go for as much magnification as you want but for hunting you'd want to keep weight down so something like a 4-16x50

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

Yes it is also used for hunting, i bought the bushnell in B&H in New York and am heading back there in a few months so if i have the money i might upgrade.

if you have the money another bushnell elite in higher mag would be a good buy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just a tid bit of info AL555 Not too sure about gallery rifle if thats your bag, but for .22 benchrest and other such comps at target work your rifle puts you in the sporting class with a max mag of 6 power.

The only reason i mention it is if you decide to do serious target work or change your mag for this reason you may find you cannot enter certain comps due to the very high mag on a sporting scope.

other than that i would say the Bushnell is a proper good scope. If the reticle is the problem then look out for a finer reticle rather than higher mag, but stay with the same make and adjust the specifics. Such as a 4-16 or 6-24 with fine target reticle in a Bushnell.

As said you should have no problem shifting your own on if thats how you want to go.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Al,
    What's your budget? What's your game - bunnies, target, ?...

If you can afford the S&B's and Zeiss levels and are willing to pay, then why not?

Leupold makes a great scope, a bit pricey though.

Redfield is probably the best performing scope at the cheapest price around.

However, I would go with a Burris Fullfield II. It's about the level of the Leupold Vari X -II - half the price though.

When it comes to a cost/clarity consideration, Burris is the best.

If you are heading to the states then check out Optics Planet. I am heading out to the states in a few weeks and plan to replace the Burris Fullfield in 6.5-20x50mm that I traded Kay_9. Ask him if he wants to sell it, I highly doubt it. They're that good. Ask him for an unbiased opinion on it and how he would compare it to a Bushnell.

Someone on the boards is selling one http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134678

Here's a nice Zeiss at $400.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-3-9x40mm-conquest-rifle-scope-with-z-plex-reticle1.html

Have a look at this for $215. I just ordered one and sent it to the cousin. Will pick it up before the thaw. Cannot believe there is actually an illuminated reticle in this one.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-35-10x50mm-fullfield-ii-rifle-scope.html

Who is B&H? In NYC? Don't buy anything in the City - too many bootlegs. There's a Cabellas superstore a few hours drive - try before you buy.

You should order from Optics Planet and have them mail it to a relation before you get there. Check it out, and if you do not like it, return it. A quick google search will net you a 5% off. Along with free shipping - not a bad deal. This might work - opiv5of

Again, we need to know your plans - especially wrt the reticle. I like the price of the Zeiss, but as a hunter, hate the reticle. The Burris Fullfield II ballistic plex (or mil dot reticle) is my choice.

Don't forget to walk on the LHS/red channel at Sionna as I always do. Pay the tax-man his due! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭widespread

Considering so many people have CZ 452 .22 LR rifles. i have been looking at the CZ shop itself and I see that CZ do a range of scopes for there own rifles. Has anybody ever tried any of these or what is your opinion on them, surly the guy's who make the rifle know what is the best scope to put on it.

http://www.shop-cz.com/objects/1057023037.html

or am I way off the mark.

Burris are a good, clear glass scope, but do not go for the Fulfield II. I bought one 6 months ago and there was a fault. Not a problem can happen any scope. I sent it back to America and got a call 2 weeks later telling me they no longer produce that model and would i accept another model of equal value and ability.

Worth checking before buying as you could end up in the same position as myself. I got a refund instead and bought a different brand. Got a good scope of a friend at a rate i couldn't pass up.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

widespread wrote: »
    ........... I see that CZ do a range of scopes for there own rifles.

I can honestly say i never knew that. Normally when i look at thier website its for firearms. Never think to look at sights.
    Has anybody ever tried any of these or what is your opinion on them,......

No, nor have i ever met anyone using one of them. Would love to get a review of one.
    surly the guy's who make the rifle know what is the best scope to put on it....

On a .22lr i could not see a problem with most of their scopes, but on the higher calibers with more recoil i would have to say most lads (myself included) would go with the tried and trusted models/makes.

• Advertisement

@ FISMA, thanks for the info, yes i use it for bunnys and targets, i think i will have a good look at whats available before i decide how much i want to spend... and this is B&H well worth a look>>>
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

AL 555 wrote: »
    @ FISMA, thanks for the info, yes i use it for bunnys and targets, i think i will have a good look at whats available before i decide how much i want to spend... and this is B&H well worth a look>>>
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Al555,
    You have three major factors to consider: tube width, magnification, and scope height.

The wider the tube, the greater the light transmission. If you shoot mostly at dawn and dusk, a 30mm may be the way to go.

Little targets need big magnification - you get one shot and they're gone. Big targets, like deer need small magnification like 4x - you will often get a follow up shot - sometimes they do not even move.

The bigger the bell, the greater the light gathering. Still limited though by the width of the tube.

Keep in mind that the greater the bell, the higher the scope is going to be off of the barrel. Personally, I like my scopes to be as close to the barrel as possible. My deer rifle has a 30mm tube, fixed 6x magnification, and no bell at all. It almost sits on the barrel and there's less fiddling to get the line of sight to intersect the impact point of the round.

B&H doesn't look to be bad. Just stay away from all of those corner shops that sell electronics. The locals know they are full of grey market goods and knock-offs.

Take a day and head out to Cabella's superstore. Rt78 all the way, pretty much from NYC - less than three hours. The place is like a museum-store-aquarium. Hundreds of guns to browse - you could probably even order something online and have them ship it to the store for free.

Are you bringing back ammo? If you plan, let me know as I may be able to walk you through some of the hoops through which you have to jump. I always buy 100 rounds of 30-06 Hornaday. Just too dear here.

But of course, please pay the tax man, exit on the LHS - the red area in Sionna! ;) The politicians do a great job with our tax money. We wouldn' want to deprive them of a single euro, would we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

ezridax wrote: »
    Burris are a good, clear glass scope, but do not go for the Fulfield II. I bought one 6 months ago and there was a fault. Not a problem can happen any scope. I sent it back to America and got a call 2 weeks later telling me they no longer produce that model and would i accept another model of equal value and ability.

Worth checking before buying as you could end up in the same position as myself. I got a refund instead and bought a different brand. Got a good scope of a friend at a rate i couldn't pass up.

Hi Ezridax, what was the fault ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm using the Bushnell 10x40 - Elite 3200 with target turrets on my CZ 22 lr Varmint and can't fault it for hunting or at the range out to 100m. It has a nice fine mil-dot retical.

CZvarmint2.jpg

Hi Ezridax, what was the fault ?

Bought the scope brand new. Collected it and went to the range. Set it up and zeroed it at 100 yards. All fine so far. I ran a few shots through her at 100, then tried 200yds. All still okay.

I moved to 300 yards and as i was dialing up i noticed the turret became "free" to turn, until it screwed out in my hand. No pressure, just came out. I went back to the dealer who gave me all kinds of sh!t. Now Burris have an immediate exchange programme, but the dealer wouldn't honour it, and forced me to send it back to the states to have it repaired.

I got the call a few weeks later from Sam Adams in burris as i attached a letter saying how "annoyed" i was. He informed me that the Fulfield II was no longer being produced and while they had a few in stock should any other problem come up they will not be able to exchange it at a later date. He admitted the scope was faulty and with the turret screwing out the scope was no longer sealed. I mulled it over for a week and contacted him back saying i could buy another scope (from my mate) so Sam authorised the refund and i returned to the dealer 2 weeks later to collect it.

FISMA wrote: »
    Al555,
    You have three major factors to consider: tube width, magnification, and scope height.

The wider the tube, the greater the light transmission. If you shoot mostly at dawn and dusk, a 30mm may be the way to go.

this is not actually true, 30mm tubes do not let in more light they just allow for more windage and elevation

read this for more info
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/riflescopes_same.htm

ormondprop wrote: »
    this is not actually true, 30mm tubes do not let in more light they just allow for more windage and elevation

read this for more info
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/riflescopes_same.htm

Thanks for the link - I must have misunderstood Burris' site where they stated

"New Fullfield 30 European riflescopes provide all the features that make the bigger tubes great — extra rigidity, increased glass surface, a wider range of internal adjustment," ...
    http://burrisoptics.com/fullfield30.html

Sounded as if they were saying the surface area of the lenses was increased. I am going to call them on that and see what they have to say.

No matter what the case, you are correct wrt adjustments. Although, if you cannot click out any windage or elevation with a 1", there's probably something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

It is the larger lens which lets the light in. i.e. 50mm or 56mm over a 35mm or 40mm lens......And also the quality of the glass.

Advertisement