Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RHRN and a reading log

Options
  • 03-01-2011 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Given my new Kindle (which I'm enjoying alot more than I thought I would) and the heap of books I've recently got, decided I'd start one of these, and it might get me to stop half-reading multiple books at the same time, and reading things properly.

The last few books I read, from just before Christmas to now:

1. The Iliad - Homer (8.5/10)

Quite liked it, although the language can be kinda hard to get into (although its nowhere near as hard as Drydens, I read a modern prose version), and while I understand the use of repetition in the oral tradition, it can get a bit irritating in the book, aswell as the random digression of describing something like Hektor's helmet for a full page.:p Nonetheless, great book, enjoyed it thoroughly!

2. The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry (7/10)

Well, I watch a bit of QI but I was never one of these incredibly dedicated Stephen Fry fans who'll jump to his defense in a heartbeat, so I wasn't too sure what to expect. Nonetheless, I found the book to be quite insightful as to his personality (certainly not what I was expecting), however I felt it could have been cut quite a bit. I understand he's the man who has a Way With Words, but it felt long-winded at times. Also, the name dropping is just a bit too much. However, I can say I certainly enjoyed it.

3. Animal Farm - George Orwell (9/10)

I really don't think there is much more to be said on this book that hasn't been already, so I'll keep it short. Although its short (read it in only a few hours) its nonetheless one that will stay with me for quite some time. I obviously don't need to go into detail here, as I'm sure everyone knows it quite well. Found it wonderful.

4. Skippy Dies - Paul Murray (9.5/10)

Fantastic, if I had to describe it in one word. This should be compulsory reading for every secondary-school student in my opinion (I'm seventeen). Based in Seabrook College, it takes place in the time before and after the death of Skippy, which happens in the first few pages, and is then built upto again. We see how what we thought was a boy choking on doughnuts was different, and the lives of adolescents (boys and girls) are astutely observed, and extremely funny in places. The fact that this only made the longlist for the Booker Prize, was to me, shocking. Changing from sad to funny in an instant, but always thought-provoking. I could say more, but I'll leave it at read this book, you won't be dissapointed!

Currently reading: Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

5. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (9/10)

Loved this. Nabokov certainly has a way with description, some of the language used is just beautiful, with clever wordplay also filling the pages. I'm sure most know the plot, Humbert's obsession with "nymphets", which is focused on 12 year-old Dolores Haze (Lolita). Certainly a book which should not be dismissed swiftly with "Hebephilia? Disgusting!" the book does nothing to glorify such relationships. On the negative side, I did find the use of French a bit annoying, simply because I can't speak a word. Because of this, some of the humour of what are apparently witty multilingual puns must have been lost on me. Nonetheless, extremely enjoyable, and superbly written, a brilliant book.

Currently reading: Bad Science - Ben Goldacre
    Thinking I'll do a few lighter books next.

6. Bad Science - Ben Goldacre - 7.5/10

Well, I did enjoy it, but it got a bit repetitive at times. Mostly concerning itself with the media/nutritionist/homeopaths abuse and accidental/deliberate misunderstanding of science to further goals, gain readers etc. also talking about the MRSA and MMR scandals aswell. Good, but at some points it just felt repetitive "Nutritionists are bad, homeopaths are bad, the media is bad, everyones bad" but it was good, and I will say I did certainly learn from the book.

Currently reading: Unmentionables - Ralph Keyes

Also Great Gatsby, for comparative in school.

Haven't been here in a while.

7. Unmentionables - Ralph Keyes (6/10)

Same problem with Bad Science, but even more so. Started out entertaining enough (first few chapters about history of bodily euphemisms, euphemisms for sex etc.) but got awfully boring and repetitive after that, felt like reading a dictionary at times :/ okay, but I wouldn't be recommending it, by any means.

8. And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie (9.5/10)

Fantastic. I doubt I need to go into details here, ten people invited to an island by the mysterious Mr. U.N. Owen (geddit? :p) who doesn't show. A gramopohone record then plays, accusing them of all of murders they were not convicted of. Soon after, they begin to die, in accordance with the "Ten Little Indians" rhyme. Held me throughout, and absolutely thrilling, suspense built wonderfully and of course, the epilogue, revealing all! Though perhaps not how you'd think.. (and if you guessed, you should probably be a detective full-time :p) I'd recommend it without a doubt.

Currently Reading - Wiffle Lever To Full! - Bob Fischer

9. Wiffle Lever to Full! - Bob Fischer (8/10)

Okay, I'll admit, I didn't enjoy this 8/10 much, but I allowed myself to rate it a little bit higher because I felt I missed a bit my not being a fan of some (a bit more than some, admittedly) of the shows he talks about. Its essentially one mans travelogue as he attempts to regain the carefree nature of his childhood, travelling to sci-fi and fantasy conventions (as well as Monty Python) for a whole summer. Among the shows/films/books are Discworld, Hitchhikers Guide and Star Trek. I did enjoy it cause I am a fan of quite a few of these shows, and having never really known what conventions were "all about" as such, was pretty good to read. Although when we came to something like Blake's 7, on which I'm admittedly clueless, the references and jokes were lost on me, and the going got tougher.

I wouldn't be recommending this for everyone. Its fun to read, but for maximum enjoyment, you'll have to be a fan of the majority, if not all, of the cult shows/films etc. he talks about.

Currently reading - The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett

10. The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett (8.5/10)

Very fun, enjoyed it alot more than I would, always meant to start reading Terry Pratchett although I never have! Telling the story of Rincewind the incompetent wizard, Twoflower the naive tourist and the walking Luggage, aswell as being extremely funny, laugh-out-loud at times, its also a wonderful fantasy novel. Definitely will read more of his in the future!

11. The ABC murders - Agatha Christie (9/10)

Really enjoying Agatha Christie! Now, Herecule Poirot is chasing a serial killer who's killing people who live in towns beginning with A,B, etc. and their names begin with A,B, etc. Fantastic story and a brilliant twist at the end! I particularly enjoyed the wonderful ideas used in profiling here, it was like there was a lot of why aswell as who. Loved it.

12. The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy - Douglas Adams (9/10)

Another book that I've been meaning to read for a long long time, and I am so glad that I finally did! Another book I'm sure I dont need to go too much into, it details the story of Arthur Dent travelling with Ford Prefect after Earth is destroyed for creation of a hyperspace bypass. Extremely funny, I should have read this book many years ago!

13. The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (10/10)

Well, my first ten, and I feel that this book thoroughly deserves it. Upon closing the book, I immediately got the feeling that this book would stay with me, and it has. An extremely powerful story about the "American Dream" and shallowness of the upper class of American society, the story of Jay Gatsby's aspirations is one that deserves every ounce of acclaim that it has so far received. Completely fantastic.

Currently reading: The Lord of The Rings - The Fellowship of The Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien (about half way through)

• Advertisement
Advertisement