Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypothetical question - how far would you go?

• 03-01-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

As a prospective dobbie owner possibly some time in the long distance future when I am in a better postion to consider it, this senario sometimes comes into my head :rolleyes: Triggered off again yesterday evening by my Westie erupting at the image of a balaclava'd man on tv.

If you owned the type of dog that might successfully see off undesirables and you came across a 'situation' while walking your dog/s how quick would you be to let your dog intervene?

For example if I came across something like a mugging or car thief in action I would be extremely reluctant to put my dog at any risk for the sake of someones material possessions. However if it were someone commiting a serious assult on another person, I would be tempted to at least threaten to let go of the dog but beyond that, if it had no effect or the person called my bluff I would have no idea if I would be able to actually let the dog go (and of course said dog might run in the opposite direction, or stand looking at me in a confused manner in which case I'd probably be 'for it' as well :p) If it were a family member, friend or someones child on the recieving end of the attack there would be no holds barred but for your average stranger I really don't think I would put my dog at risk (although I am ashamed to say so!)

Obviously this doesn't apply much to a Westie which looks extremely un-menacing and is too fragile to have any measurable effect on even the most weedy of offenders and without a doubt would end badly for the dog.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I'd have zero problem sacrificing my dog if it meant saving a person. While I love and respect my dogs (and indeed all animals), people always come before animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, unless the situation involved me directly, i dont know if i would put my dog at risk.
    As an owner of 2 rottweilers, one is only a baby, i know 100% that the male would def react to a situation that i was involved in and i would have no hesitation that he will protect me if needs be.
    But would he react to a situation that doesnt involve me? Im not so sure, and how would he know who to protect or not if it didnt involve me.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I don't know how I'd react in any of the situations given...the safety of my dogs are solely my responsibility, so I wouldn't deliberately place them in harms way.

However, when we've had poachers here in the past I would usually take my pointer out with me if I've gone out to *chat* to them.
    Not in any way to *set her on them*, sure, she'd stand and look at me in a strange fashion if I tried...but because I know that of all of my dogs, she would go (and has gone) above & beyond to protect me if it did kick off.
    She's also incredibly sensitive to my mood....if I'm ok with someone, then she is...and if I'm tense, she picks up on that too (especially in the dark in the middle of a field:D). She's sharp, she's fast...and she's silent :D
    (However,folks on here who have met her IRL - and there are a few ;) - would (I hope) also testify that she also a big softy in normal circumstances)

The terriers would just swing off the poacher's trouser legs, in a small but menacing fashion, and the collie would just jump up on them for hugs...but the pointer doesn't take any crap off people trespassing in the middle of the night (or in daylight for that matter - the poachers are getting bolder around here the last few months!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My dogs are untrained for that scenario.
    Unless someone was directly attacking me (or my wife) I don't think the dogs would know what to do (and even then I wouldn't really want to involve them)

So in the scenario that you paint, all my dogs could possibly add is noise, and that would best be served from the end of the lead (that I keep holding in my hand)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My dog wouldn't have a clue what to do. I don't even know if he'd protect me if there was an incident, I'd assume there is a protective instinct, but I've never seen it.

Heard him growl at a person who came unannounced into the house the other evening, first time ever he "protected" the house, he usually runs out all happy to see who's coming in. Good judge of character so he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

My dog is also untrained for that kind of scenario. He is just used to everyone loving him and each other.

He is a great dane though and if we were to be faced with such a scene he might be more of a menacing presence due to his size and that might act to scare off the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

I have a small dog that I always thought would defend me to the death, I can't play with my other dogs in front of him as he seems to think they are attacking me and he attacks them. But when I was actually in danger one day, he ran and hid behind me :rolleyes:
    Also, there might be something about you being responsible for any damage or injuries your dog does to someone (regardless of what the person was up to at the time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

andreac wrote: »
    But would he react to a situation that doesnt involve me? Im not so sure, and how would he know who to protect or not if it didnt involve me.

I saw a story somewhere about a woman who was walking a dog in a park, the dog apparantly intervened in a sexual assualt/rape and at the time I wondered how the dog knew the difference between the victim and the attacker or if the attacker simply ran. Tried to search for it online there briefly but googling relevant keywords brings up the usual dangerous dog propeganda which I have no interest in attempting to trawl through!

beanie. wrote: »
    Also, there might be something about you being responsible for any damage or injuries your dog does to someone (regardless of what the person was up to at the time)

This is the part that put's me off together with the fact that my dog might be destroyed for it's efforts!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1258123/Jake-hero-Judge-praises-ROTTWEILER-stopped-illegal-immigrant-raping-woman-park.html

That's the link to the story. Have a pup at the moment so i dont know what his guarding skills are like yet, but I had a collie for fifteen years who would always stand between me and anyone I met out walking (used to live way out in the countryside). Thankfully nothing ever happened, but she knew well what to do. If I saw someone being attacked, I would like to think that both myself and dog would probably jump into the fray (though my impulsiveness will get me into trouble some day I'm sure)

• Advertisement

Shanao wrote: »
    That's the link to the story.

That's the one, thanks for posting the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

I`ve always made a drama of holding onto my gsd for dear life if opening the door to a stranger....they`re not to know shes trying to say hello lol..
    one of my other girls though is very protective, i think the sight of me trying to hang onto her would put most people off, but as for letting my dog intervene in something....i dont think id put my dog at risk and would hope the sight /sounds etc would be enough!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

As owner of an alsation dog, she is from pure guard dog / protection bloodline.. But any most dogs are loyal too protect person/ people/ family who feed and care for them. Too use any dog too help other persons in distres is not advisable, better too phone police or approach with dog restrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

unless a dog is actually trained to attack, I think that the only person they would protect would be their owner(s)

I know my fella would prob just think it was a game and wanna play!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Iv a small terrier so he'd just get someone's boot if I let him after someone, all he'd wanna do is play anyways. Would he protect me if I was in bother I don't know (and hopefully will never have to find out). I would not purposely encourage him to protect a stranger if I came across a crime, as I know he would be useless and would only end up with a boot in his side at the least. I wouldn't want to put my dog in harm's way either. I would also be worried if my dog did attack an attacker would they be able to push to have him put him down?

I did read something a while ago which I thought was interesting. A woman who lived on her own and had a labrador was worried about her safety while out. So using an umbrella she trained the dog to go into a highly excited state where he lunged on the lead and barked by giving a command (which I think happened to be the word attack). If she felt the need to defend herself she would be able to give the dog this command, to a stranger it would look as though the dog was aggressive but if the person approached the dog it would just knock him over with excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TBH I don't think I'd get involved if it was putting the dog in danger. Somebody in our local park has a lovely lab who is very very shy of people in hoods or with short hair - I have short hair and she won't come near me. The owner heard somebody at his car on evening ran out - she followed him and the guys at the car kicked her in the side and badly injured her :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

newmug wrote: »
    I'd have zero problem sacrificing my dog if it meant saving a person. While I love and respect my dogs (and indeed all animals), people always come before animals.
    I find that really strange:confused: You would sacrifice you dog (Whom most likely adores you) for some random person who most likely couldn't give a damn about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I find that really strange:confused: You would sacrifice you dog (Whom most likely adores you) for some random person who most likely couldn't give a damn about you?

I find the last part to be cynical

I imagine they would give a dam if the poster stopped them from being attacked, especially if they risked their dog to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I wouldn't actively encourage my dogs to protect me or anyone else, that is not their purpose.
    Just the other night I was on the laptop with just the computers' light and the light of a candle but otherwise dark, my Rottie was beside my bed, my bf came up the stair and Brook charged him, barking and hair standing up until she realised who he was so I know she would protect me if needed but it's not something I would ask of her.

Advertisement