Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Internet usage Alot?

• 03-01-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Hi is my internet usgae alot in your Opinion?

Monthly Usage: 310GB (Over a Period of 7 Months)

Daily Usage: 1st January: 3.47GB) 31st December: 1:60GB) 5th December: 4.13GB)

Weekly: 27th december: i used 11.6GB

Do you this is alot?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

RobitTV wrote: »

Do you this is alot?

Are you worred about internet/downloading addiction?:)

It really doesnt matter what anyone here considers to be excessive. The really important question is are you exceeding your cap?

Because sooner or later if you are your isp will likely take action against you either through charging you or throttling you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Are most ISP's in Ireland capping people ?

I have uncapped access here in Spain, and most ISPs offer this as standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yes that is an awful lot, but you must be downloading a large amount of music, films, software, or watching a lot of high quality streaming video or gaming non-stop.

But then, only you know what you are doing.;)

In one day you used over 4gb of data. According to a quick stats search this is the ability to view 42,000 web pages and download 80 albums. In a single day !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yes that is an awful lot, but you must be downloading a large amount of music, films, software, or watching a lot of high quality streaming video or gaming non-stop.

But then, only you know what you are doing.;)

In one day you used over 4gb of data. According to a quick stats search this is the ability to view 42,000 web pages and download 80 albums. In a single day !!!

Its not that much. I downloaded 12 gigs yesterday and before anyone says it must be from illegal stuff. It aint.

Steam has been having sales for the last few days and I must have bought over 10 games on it. at an average of 4GB - 8GB per game it all adds up. My mate got dragon age: origins and that alone is a 25 gig download.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Stokolan wrote: »
    Steam has been having sales for the last few days and I must have bought over 10 games on it. at an average of 4GB - 8GB per game it all adds up. My mate got dragon age: origins and that alone is a 25 gig download.
    Yes but you don't do that kind of downloading every single month for 7 straight months now do you (and that would still only account for 60 GB in that month with 10 new games to play to keep you occupied)?

To the OP; yes, that is a lot by most standards. I'd guess you would be in the top 1% downloaders with the ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

dub45 wrote: »
    It really doesnt matter what anyone here considers to be excessive. The really important question is are you exceeding your cap?

Because sooner or later if you are your isp will likely take action against you either through charging you or throttling you.

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wasn't trying to suggest the OP was doing anything illegal. Of course you can rack up a huge download figure legally.

But if I was a betting man, Id say that 99% of people who have massive downloads each and every month are downloading illegally. Its no secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

RobitTV wrote: »

Do you this is alot?
    well, personally i usually keep my usage within 250gb a month as that's what my current CAP/FUP/AUP says i can use, but i'd use more some months if it wasn't there.

do i download a lot? yes i do, and i guess by my own standards you do too, but don't get hung up on it unless your ISP says you can't download that much.

the thing to remember though is that how much you download and more importantly what you download and whether it is legal or not has absolutely 100% feck all to do with anyone on here, despite what quite a few people on the forums seem to believe.:rolleyes:

if your ISP has a problem with your usage (either volume or content) then let them tell you about it and react accordingly. :)

Advertisement