Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet explorer acting up help please

• 03-01-2011 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

not sure where to put this sorry mods if in wrong place

Ok have IE and its acting up have a little toolbar on my page saying IC is currently running with add-ons disabled. Click here to manage add ons or remove your addons.

I have AVG

anyways cant update Adobe cant get into chatrooms how can i fix it followed instructions still no joy temp disabled AVG no joy

any suggestions welcomed as its annoying me

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bswan

install firefox or google chrome, internet explorer is rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

What bswan said.

But to actually answer your question, you are simply running Internet Explorer without add-ons.

In the start menu (all programs list) there are two options for Internet Explorer. One is, quite simply put, Internet Explorer, while the other one is called "Internet Explorer (without addons)".
    Simply choose Internet Explorer from the start menu.

Once you have internet explorer open, kindly download Google Chrome. ;) Of course, the choice is yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Do you have pop-up blocker enabled, some chat rooms open in a pop-up window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

bswan wrote: »
    install firefox or google chrome, internet explorer is rubbish

this kind of answer isnt answering the OP's question. i don't want you to take this personally but all too often im seeing on these forums im seeing users post a query about a piece of software, only to be told the fix is to install an alternative piece of software, when the "fix" (in this case it didnt require much effort, more just an explanation of how IE works) is only a simple one. it's like telling a user who has a small problem with windows, to install linux!

me personally while i've dabbled with various other browsers, i've always come back to IE, now that may change, as having tried IE9, they've tried to make it look more chrome/firefoxy like, skinning it and having download prompt pop-ups that you may miss at the bottom of the screen. i used it for about three months before i came back to IE8.

i've used IE as my default browser for the last roughly 15 years, it just works for my needs, although as i said, IE9 hasnt impressed me do my preference may THEN change to chrome or firefox, etc... ;)

http://www.taranfx.com/ie9-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-opera

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/web/ie9-beta-vs-firefox-vs-chrome-what-s-the-best-browser--717027

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

xsiborg wrote: »
    this kind of answer isnt answering the OP's question. i don't want you to take this personally but all too often im seeing on these forums im seeing users post a query about a piece of software, only to be told the fix is to install an alternative piece of software, when the "fix" (in this case it didnt require much effort, more just an explanation of how IE works) is only a simple one. it's like telling a user who has a small problem with windows, to install linux!

me personally while i've dabbled with various other browsers, i've always come back to IE, now that may change, as having tried IE9, they've tried to make it look more chrome/firefoxy like, skinning it and having download prompt pop-ups that you may miss at the bottom of the screen. i used it for about three months before i came back to IE8.

i've used IE as my default browser for the last roughly 15 years, it just works for my needs, although as i said, IE9 hasnt impressed me do my preference may THEN change to chrome or firefox, etc... ;)

http://www.taranfx.com/ie9-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-opera

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/web/ie9-beta-vs-firefox-vs-chrome-what-s-the-best-browser--717027

Stuff like ActiveX controls and a very long history of non standards compliance does not bode well for it's image. Most web heads hate IE, even some Microsoft fanboys. Firefox > Chrome > no web browser > IE

• Advertisement

webheads though Naikon would not equate to your average everyday windows user who just wants to browse the net, or the user in an everyday office environment. IE whether webheads like it or not is still (albeit through ignorance or by default) the most popular average windows users browser is IE, even in a corporate environment, where i still see many using IE6, on a win xp platforn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 peasey

thanks all will give it a go:)
    eta
    ok thanks roast for the advice it worked and xsiborg for sticking up for non techies though thanks all as when I am stuck tech wise i always know there are pearls of wisdom here in the tech section

cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i used internet explorer for years and never once considered changing, ever since they released IE8 it was nothing short of a nightmare, crashes, freezes, add-ons causing problems, i do believe they had chimpanzees programming it. I switched to Firefox 3 months ago and in that time it has been smooth sailing, i feel like a fool that i didn't do it long ago. Firefox is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

A large part of IE's imge problem comes from external add-ons, such as toolbars from third-parties. People install these without realising, and the results in that IE slows down, very considerably.

They then install Chrome, because someone told them its faster. It has no-addons, so it actually is faster for them.

In reality, the difference in speed between the (vanilla) browsers in negligible(and balances out between sites), and I prefer the way IE does things, the features it has, and the way loads pages.

I tried the ealiest beta of IE9, and it confilcted with a game(which is understandable), so I'll have to try it agin now.

To the OP, try uninstalling IE and re-installing it, actually fixes a lot of problems, or try IE 9. If you're getting an error messages, post them up and see what people think the problem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

peasey wrote: »
    thanks all will give it a go:)
    eta
    ok thanks roast for the advice it worked and xsiborg for sticking up for non techies though thanks all as when I am stuck tech wise i always know there are pearls of wisdom here in the tech section

cheers :)

Good stuff, happy out it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

friends dont let friends use IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

xsiborg wrote: »

I agree with what you are saying, however its no different from going to a car maintenance garage and being told that it will cost you more in the long run to keep this car running than to just buy a new one which won't break down as much and has parts more available and easier to fix. Internet Explorer is the most ignorant browser around and if we don't stand up against it and get "non-tech" people to understand that there is better out there (even if they don't notice) then Microsoft will never change.

It is probably costing web developers more to have browser compatibility which in turn costs businesses more and consumers more which no one likes!

as you're living in the USA, i'll further extend your car analogy to say that its not just the availability of parts or the fact you can customise your car to your liking, europeans are used to a stick shift car even though an automatic is easier to drive, im just more used to getting into a car and driving, i really dont care whats underneath the hood. i wouldnt swap a mercedes for a ford mondeo! :o

basically i dont like learning curves when all i want to do is browse a few websites, and i dont care that my browser of choice is a few milliseconds slower to load than one of the many many browsers out there.

as for sticking it to microsoft, thats beyond the scope of this thread, but im very much aware of the alternatives, i just choose not to use THEM, in the same way that others perogative IS to use them.

the OP asked a question about IE, and got his solution to a question about IE. encouraging them to use another browser they were unfamiliar with just causes more problems than it solves... :(

Advertisement