Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flares on NYE

Options
  • 03-01-2011 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

Anybody else notice the huge amount of flares set off on NYE, there seemed to be far more than previous years. It was a good display overall . Is there any risk with these setting off fires as they are basically paper parachutes with a fire inside them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

imitation wrote: »
    Anybody else notice the huge amount of flares set off on NYE, there seemed to be far more than previous years. It was a good display overall . Is there any risk with these setting off fires as they are basically paper parachutes with a fire inside them?

Are you talking about Chinese lanterns? The Discount World in Midleton was selling packs of them. They were pretty cool alright but I guess there is a potential fire hazard if one accidentally landed on a thatched roof or something.

The party I was at had only one six-pack but it was mad to see them float away into the night. Fortunately it was a still night with no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Ah I stand corrected, I assumed they were some kind of flare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Very little risk of fire, the gentle ascent coupled with the warm air keeps the candle alight, but if it were to tumble, the fast air wouldn't be long suffocating the fire.

Very little risk of fire, the gentle ascent coupled with the warm air keeps the candle alight, but if it were to tumble, the fast air wouldn't be long suffocating the fire.

Actually I disagree with the above quote.

They don't use a candle at all. It is more like a flattened firelighter which would be far more likely to stay alight if falling out of the sky. But you would have to pretty unlucky to set fire to something even taking that into consideration :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Fire risk is unknown.

These lanterns tended to be set off over water traditionally, but can be ankered to make live decorations to float at desired heights.

Wind conditions are important as high winds may collapse the bag and set it alight, despite a quick burn from the bag, this possibly poses the greatest risk.

Once aloft they drift with the wind and are designed from a fire-lighter type material which become fully consumed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Apparently Chinese Lanterns are fine in towns and cities, but they can injure animals in the fields.

wispyman wrote: »
    Actually I disagree with the above quote.

Based on what? I was at the Full Moon Festival in Patong in 2005 when there were thousands of these things in the sky over the beach, nearly all that tumbled back down were all but extinguished.

Based on what? I was at the Full Moon Festival in Patong in 2005 when there were thousands of these things in the sky over the beach, nearly all that tumbled back down were all but extinguished.

Well firstly in Ireland they are not using candles as stated by you.

Secondly you have just said "NEARLY all that tumbled down were ALL BUT extinguished" so you don't even totally agree with yourself:D

Secondly you have just said "NEARLY all that tumbled down were ALL BUT extinguished" so you don't even totally agree with yourself:D

I was going to ask about this too. The material "should" be consumed totally. No nearly extinguished "should" fall back to earth.

Atmospheric conditions can have an impact and as these lanterns are growing in popularity, maybe they are not all made the same?

Must pay more attention next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I saw a good few of these, thought they looked fantastic in the night sky.

• Advertisement

Well firstly in Ireland they are not using candles as stated by you.

*sigh* This is the problem with online forums. Because I choose a word that springs to mind, my post is forever welded to that word. I said candle because that's what I thought was in them, but I'm happy enough to defer to the greater knowledge of wispyman who knows for a fact that they're firelighters. Bord na Mona, or Zip? :pac:

Secondly, I said all but but extinguished, which obviously is english being used in a syntax that's far too old for you to understand. All but extinguished would intimate that there was just the dullest faintest glimmer of barely smouldering blackness incapable of starting any new flame on the small few which had failed to be fully extinguished. And that's a small few indeed.

Now, are you happy with that post, or should I haul out a dictionary in case your reading any other of my posts?

It's this inaness of 'I must be right, I'll defend my posts to the last' that's wrong with an online text only method of discussion. I mean you previously gave anecdotal evidence that you didn't really know much about them, to which I replied that I'd been at a full moon festival (First hand experience) where the sky was blotted out with these and it looked incredible, and then proceeded to downplay the risk - cause you know Cork City isn't exactly awash with Thatched Roofs. Because I contradicted your post, you'd to go off dissecting mine instead of perhaps defering to someone with practical experience of watching these fall from the sky.

>I said candle because that's what I thought was in them

So you don't really know THAT much about them - despite claims of "first hand experience"

>which obviously is english being used in a syntax that's far too old for you to understand

Yawn - personal attacks only show YOU for the type of person that you are

>All but extinguished.........

I'm glad your not in the fire service - "ah that house fire is all but extinguished - lets go to the pub..."

>Now, are you happy with that post, or should I haul out a dictionary in case your reading any other of my posts?

Yawn - that comment will add value to the topic in debate :rolleyes:

>It's this inaness of 'I must be right, I'll defend my posts to the last' that's wrong with an online text only method of discussion.

Yeah I had such a nerve to politely disagree with your views. Last time I checked these forums were meant for lively debate.

>cause you know Cork City isn't exactly awash with Thatched Roofs.

Since when was Midleton in Cork City?? Co Cork is awash with barns and haysheds.

*sigh*

I think you might be a little harsh and I'm sure there was no malice intended.

The point is, is there a danger of these starting other fires as they come back to earth.

There "should" not be.

Your [first] post implied that some were not fully extinguished, which would raise a little worry as to their safety.

Your second post is great and very informative and I think answers all questions, mine certainly and thanks for taking the time to respond. I've not recovered a fallen lantern but I was going to deliberately burn one to see, now I won't waste it. :)

So you don't really know THAT much about them - despite claims of "first hand experience"

And here we go with yet another boards.ie (I have to be right) quote tit for tat competition.

I never said I knew that much about them. I said I'd seen them falling from the sky, and IMHO, they weren't a fire risk.
    Yawn - personal attacks only show YOU for the type of person that you are

That wasn't a personal attack, it was my explaining my use of the words that you read incorrectly and jumped to assumptions with.
    I'm glad your not in the fire service - "ah that house fire is all but extinguished - lets go to the pub..."

Ever seen a burned out car or house? I have. There's usually a bit of smouldering still going on at the end, small bit, but it's there :pac:
    Since when was Midleton in Cork City?? Co Cork is awash with barns and haysheds.

Awash with thatched barns and haysheds? Or are the chinese laterns supposed to descend vertically, stop, make a quick horizontal dash into the sheds, then continute to fall?

[MAUD FLANDERS]OMG won't somebody think of the children!![/MAUD]

gbee wrote: »
    I think you might be a little harsh and I'm sure there was no malice intended.

On re-reading, you're right, I am proabably being harsh, so apologies!
    Your second post is great and very informative and I think answers all questions, mine certainly and thanks for taking the time to respond. I've not recovered a fallen lantern but I was going to deliberately burn one to see, now I won't waste it. :)

Go to Thailand instead, it's much moe fun :D

Paintdoctor - you are the kind of person that makes online forums an unpleasant place to be.

Funny thing is your probably really sound in person - that always baffles me about forums etc.

So please yourself - I don't intend to sink to the level of getting personal and will just leave some light reading for anyone that is interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-10826445
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8490524.stm

Paintdoctor - you are the kind of person that makes online forums an unpleasant place to be.

Indeedy. I'm sure all the free advice I dole out to members here is unpleasant too. And all the people online who've met me offline and get on pretty well with me.

I'd say Pot Kettle Black, but you haven't been here long enough for me to have an opinion on you yet, just as you haven't been on here long enough to form an informed opinion about me. Lets just agree to disagree.
    I don't intend to sink to the level of getting personal

You already have, plenty of times in this thread. But sure don't let a good story get in the way of the truth :D

Lets just agree to disagree.

Sounds like the best solution.

And sorry if I pissed you off too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Put away the handbags, ladies. Once again, attack the posts, not the posters - I'm looking at you for that last comment wispyman.

Edit: bah, stupid slow typing on my phone! Just pretend this post appeared 10 minutes ago.

• Advertisement

I've never met Paintdoctor but I think you won't find anyone who'll agree that he is the sort to make online forums unpleasant. I would reckon he is a helpful, knowledgeable sort of chap who is a huge asset to the place. Sure he was only being helpful here too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

i let one off by my mothers home in co cork over the weekend.

the material you light is a wax type material, took a few matchs to get it going properly and then it lifted off into the sky, and drifted off slowly in the wind. after a few mins the flame went out ( from what i could see ).

P.S. there are no hay barns/thatched houses etc near by....in case i get jumped on for setting one off :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

How long do these things actually light and fly for? Only asking as I saw what I can only assume were 5 lanterns a good few months back which were REALLY high up.

I was outside having a smoke at the time and the sight of 5 lights slowly moving across the sky (all in a straight line) freaked me out for a second or two until I realised what they were :D

Ludo wrote: »
    How long do these things actually light and fly for?

10 to 20 minutes apparently. By the sounds of it I saw the same convoy, had me going as well and despite hearing about them, it was my first encounter.

Those ones seemingly stayed visible for 30 minutes. I've only used one I got off friends so there may different types.

Advertisement