Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength and Conditioning

Options
  • 03-01-2011 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi people, I'm trying to make out a plan for a bit of strength and conditioning training but I'm unsure as to whether have separate days for separate body areas, e.g. Monday = arms and back, or instead have 3 days a week workouts using more or less all the main muscle groups. I've come across a load of ****e saying its better to isolate areas, but for a G.A.A. player surely it's more important to work all the body? I'd be delighted to hear some opinions on this, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I'd say mainly compound lifts. Deadlift, Squats, Pull ups, Bench Press, Military Press, and Dips.. Stay away from isolation machines unless you really need to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DuncanDoughnut

thanks yea thats what i was thinking, but its mainly gonna be done at home so i wont be at any isolation machines anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Also check out some of the posts in the fitness forum, they should be some help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ScareGilly wrote: »
    I'd say mainly compound lifts. Deadlift, Squats, Pull ups, Bench Press, Military Press, and Dips.. Stay away from isolation machines unless you really need to use them.

This.

Also, ask in the fitness section IMO, not here.

Some of the fitness, strength training etc advice I've seen given on the GAA forum in the past has been extremely misguided.

Check out posts by people like Transform on the fitness forum for best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DuncanDoughnut

thanks lads sound advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Avoid split body routines as they are used mostly for building muscle mass in a training cycle.

Focus on lifts such as squat, deadlift, bench press, barbell shoulder press and pull ups. Change things up every 4-6 weeks i.e. Front Squat, Straight leg deadlift, Dumbbell Bench press, dumbbell shoulder press and bent over rows.

2-3 total body sessions a week work well alongside conditioning sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidc9546

Building up the core is really needed...Plank and side plank are good exercises for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

davidc9546 wrote: »
    Building up the core is really needed...Plank and side plank are good exercises for that

I've heard of the plank but what is the side plank?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DH2K9 wrote: »
    I've heard of the plank but what is the side plank?

Youtube is excellent when you don't know what an exercise is:

Advertisement