Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIRA make new years statement- Threaten to "expand its campaign in 2011"

• 03-01-2011 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

The Real IRA has threatened to expand its campaign in 2011 and is planning gun and bomb attacks on a wide range of British military, commercial, political and judicial targets.

In a new year statement released exclusively to the Sunday Tribune, the paramilitary organisation said the security forces were completely failing to deal with the threat it posed.

In the past 12 months, the Real IRA carried out several bombings, but it has not inflicted any fatalities on the security forces since it murdered two British soldiers at Massereene in March 2009, nor has it launched any attacks in Britain.

In its statement, the Real IRA Army Council said: "In the year to come, the leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann will strive to expand the theatre of our operations in line with our strategy. We will continue to target institutions and personnel in the military, political, policing, justice and commercial and economic fields." The Real IRA said it had learned from "past mistakes" which it didn't detail.

It has previously taken ruthless action against those whom it claims "collaborate with British rule in Ireland". It deliberately shot and tried to kill two workers delivering pizzas to the soldiers at Massereene.

The paramilitary group repeated this threat. "Those who actively engaged in the occupation of Ireland and those who assist this occupation are the enemies of the Irish people," it said. In recent months, the Real IRA launched bomb attacks on Newry courthouse and the Ulster Bank in Derry. Catholic police officer Peadar Heffron lost a leg and narrowly escaped death when a bomb planted by another dissident group exploded under his car.

The Real IRA claimed that continuing dissident attacks showed that the two governments' policy of normalisation of life in the North had failed.

"In the past year, there has been no mistaking the fact that a conflict exists in occupied Ireland. The British, Free State, and colonial parliament in the six counties have collectively been unable to conceal or deal with this fact," it said.

It dismissed raids by the security forces and the arrest and conviction of republican dissidents. "None of the above measures have worked in the past, nor will they work now," it said. In a reference to the Provisional movement, which strongly opposes republican dissidents, it said the gulf between the two was now huge.
    http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2011/jan/02/real-ira-threatens-gun-and-bomb-attacks/

There you have it.

In the year to come, the leadership of Óglaigh na hÉireann will strive to expand the theatre of our operations in line with our strategy.We will continue to target institutions and personnel in the military, political, policing, justice and commercial and economic fields.
    Just to clarify the OnH mentioned here is what the RIRA refer to themselves as, and NOT the other militant republican group of the same name(I initially thought they were saying there would be closer cooperation between the two). Seems to be a threat of more of the same, however I would guess that we will see little in the way of attack on commercial fields, too high a risk of civillian casualties. Personally I beieve the attacks will be restricted to ones on the PSNI and soldiers. Mostly the former. The RIRA are out to build support, civillian deaths(ie Joe Bloggs doing his shopping) wont aid that.

I personally feel that they(militant republicans) will attempt to capitalize on the visit of the queen of england, the political wings of the militant republicans will be out in force, simmering tensions will be agitated, British and Irish relations will come to the fore. Prime conditions for a spectacular.

However with that said, all the militant republican groups are heavily infiltrated by Mi5.
    None of the above measures have worked in the past, nor will they work now
    I fully agree with the above, arresting people will not work, nor will raiding peoples homes. The answer lies through dialog imo.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

In related news, a bunch of self-important, bigoted idiots have deluded themselves into thinking anyone cares remotely what they say and that they're important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

kev9100 wrote: »
    In related news, a bunch of self-important, bigoted idiots have deluded themselves into thinking anyone cares remotely what they say and that they're important.
    In fairness I think a lot of people care about what they have to say, even those like myself who dont agree with what they are saying.

Even if its only because they can kill people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Im expecting some serious fireworks during the queens visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    In fairness I think a lot of people care about what they have to say, even those like myself who dont agree with what they are saying.

I disagree. I'd say most people have ZERO interest in listening to these people. They represent no-one, have no solutions for anything and just want to drag us all back to the dark ages. Why would anyone care remotely what they think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

kev9100 wrote: »
    I disagree. I'd say most people have ZERO interest in listening to these people. They represent no-one, have no solutions for anything and just want to drag us all back to the dark ages. Why would anyone care remotely what they think?

Because if they think they should plant more bombs they become very 'interesting', whether we like it or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Sad day when thugs and criminals can dictate how decent people "should" react.

Let them say whatever they like and if they're found planning anything to hurt citizens of either this country or our neighbours, shoot them like the sick thugs that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

Where do these idiots get off trying to paint the country i was born and grew up to love as being somehow illegitimate by referring to Ireland as the "free state"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dialogue? LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How can these knuckle draggers claim to represent the people of Ireland. They clearly do not represent the vast majority here so by continuing these acts of violence they are acting like fascists. They are criminals and should be hunted down as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I fully agree with the above, arresting people will not work, nor will raiding peoples homes. The answer lies through dialog imo.

In order for dialpgue to work, you have to have two sides who are willing to engage in it. The RIRA and the rest of the dissidents have shown, by their very existence, that they believe not in compromise, so dialogue is useless. They should be treated as other criminals are- hunted down and prosecuted. It was sickening enough for many people to have to watch as IRA and Loyalist murderers and terrorists were released under the GFA, but at least we could persuade ourselves that it was for the greater good. That's not the case with the RIRA etc. They cannot compromise on their agenda, and so dialogue and concessions will be useless. Anyway, there's only so much discussions that sovereign states can have with those groups who wish to violently subvert it, before the very act of negotiation comes a subversive agent in and of itself. The "we do not negotiate with terrorists" line is very much over-used, but IMO it's entirely justified in this instance. Bring in mandatory sentencing of, say, 10-15 years, for those who join proscribed subversive groups, and crack down hard on their financing. That's the only way to deal with this threat. After this has been done, and the dissidents are on their knees so to speak, then discussions might have some use in finally removing them from the scheme, but not til then, and not in return for the concessions granted as part of the GFA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

gandalf wrote: »
    How can these knuckle draggers claim to represent the people of Ireland

They can't nor can any of the brainwashed doing their dirty work or deluded yutz who supports them.
    Their modus operandi equates to nothing less than fascism, given the people on this island having already overwhelmingly voted for what they want ie. peaceful compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I personally feel that they(militant republicans) will attempt to capitalize on the visit of the queen of england,

I like the Queen ~ in England.

A good start to 2011 would be to cancel her visit here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Its the same old arguments again and again............While the Brits are in Ireland there will always be people who feel strong enought to take up arms against them...Im not condoning it but to see the future look at the past... nothing really changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

gbee wrote: »
    I like the Queen ~ in England.

A good start to 2011 would be to cancel her visit here.
    And give in to dissident demands? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I wouldn't under-estimate the RIRA as the Provos began in much the same way in the late 1960's / early 1970's as a disaffected splinter of the Official IRA.

proon4 wrote: »
    While the Brits are in Ireland there will always be people who feel strong enought to take up arms against them...Im not condoning it...
    You just did.

djpbarry wrote: »
    You just did.

Im simply saying look at the past... Its never been different... Pearse and Connelly and the rest of the 1916 heros were spat on by people in Dublin....

And give in to dissident demands? No thanks.

Perhaps some one might put up another poll on Her Majesties visit. I don't want her to come, I'm not a dissident, I'll vote for Norris [if] but I'm not gay.

Perhaps some one might put up another poll on Her Majesties visit. I don't want her to come, I'm not a dissident, I'll vote for Norris [if] but I'm not gay.

ypu sure???? you seem to like the Queens

Im simply saying look at the past... Its never been different... Pearse and Connelly and the rest of the 1916 heros were spat on by people in Dublin....
    Everyone on the island that needs a vote, has a vote. They voted...and the majority got the compromise it wanted.
    This was not the case previously.
    How exactly does this compare? Easy answer is that it doesn't.

• Advertisement

JustinDee wrote: »
    Everyone on the island that needs a vote, has a vote. They voted...and the majority got the compromise it wanted.
    This was not the case previously.
    How exactly does this compare? Easy answer is that it doesn't.[/QUOTE

Look democracy is fine for most of us, but theres always been young people with ideals... regardless if we agree with them or not........... While the Brits are here then some people will never be happy with that.face up to the facts .. thats life

Pearse and Connelly and the rest of the 1916 heros were spat on by people in Dublin....
    I wouldn’t have a whole lot of time for Pearse or Connolly myself. I certainly wouldn’t go labelling them “heroes”. I’m still not sure what your point is?

Look democracy is fine for most of us, but theres always been young people with ideals... regardless if we agree with them or not........... While the Brits are here then some people will never be happy with that.face up to the facts .. thats life
    That's a pathetic and apathetic excuse for them.
    I know what "the facts" are.
    They don't. Thats the problem and why their ideals are nothing more than fascistic delusion.

While the Brits are here then some people will never be happy with that.face up to the facts
    So the overwhelming majority have to accept the fact that a minority of morons refuse to accept facts?

I wouldn’t have a whole lot of time for Pearse or Connolly myself. I certainly wouldn’t go labelling them “heroes”. I’m still not sure what your point is?

The point is these men and women laid their lifes on the line....have you and the rest of this countrty forgotten that.... read your history, the Brits commited genocide against the Irish people...Im of an age where history was taught factual to us, but now i see what they teach to the young kids today..Politically correct lies

the Brits commited genocide against the Irish people...

They didn't do a good job of that though.

They didn't do a good job of that though.

! million dead from famine when they were still exporting food to Europe....... Read read read

So the overwhelming majority have to accept the fact that a minority of morons refuse to accept facts?

Democracy never made change.... Look at the mingers we have. Like pigs at a trough which is the public trough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

unfortunately you seem to be the one not facing the facts , the facts are that while their still is a British presence on part of this island certain people will use that as an excuse to engage in violence. that the majority of people disapprove will make little difference to them

• Advertisement

danbohan wrote: »
    unfortunately you seem to be the one not facing the facts , the facts are that while their still is a British presence on part of this island certain people will use that as an excuse to engage in violence. that the majority of people disapprove will make little difference to them

Exactly

Advertisement