Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIRA make new years statement- Threaten to "expand its campaign in 2011"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    In fairness I think a lot of people care about what they have to say, even those like myself who dont agree with what they are saying.

Even if its only because they can kill people.

+1.

And I say we ignore these cowardly bastards at our peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

proon4 wrote: »
    The point is these men and women laid their lifes on the line....have you and the rest of this countrty forgotten that...
    I’m quite aware of what they did. I just don’t agree with it. Let’s leave that topic for another thread.
    Democracy never made change.... Look at the mingers we have. Like pigs at a trough which is the public trough
    I haven’t a clue what you’re on about.
    danbohan wrote: »
    ...the facts are that while their still is a British presence on part of this island...
    The fact is, part of the island of Ireland is British.
    danbohan wrote: »
    ...certain people will use that as an excuse to engage in violence.
    Certain people will always find an excuse to engage in violence, regardless of where international borders are drawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

! million dead from famine when they were still exporting food to Europe....... Read read read

The blight years devastated our population, estimates vary some say down to 4 million from 12 million.

The British were slow to react as blight was common in Ireland and crop failures a regular event. The British did not create the blight but the problems were compounded by Ireland exporting grain for profit.

It's a fine line, but Britain did not force this export of food, the Union of England and Ireland was some 50 years old and trade was prosperous for all. Especially in the North.

The loss of labour lead to the rapid development and adoption of machines for agriculture, a process that has had a far longer ranging impact on our Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

gbee wrote: »
    The blight years devastated our population, estimates vary some say down to 4 million from 12 million.

The British were slow to react as blight was common in Ireland and crop failures a regular event. The British did not create the blight but the problems were compounded by Ireland exporting grain for profit.

It's a fine line, but Britain did not force this export of food, the Union of England and Ireland was some 50 years old and trade was prosperous for all. Especially in the North.

The loss of labour lead to the rapid development and adoption of machines for agriculture, a process that has had a far longer ranging impact on our Island.

My God i cant believe your saying that.......Have you no respect for your ansestors....Your completly wrong.. " prosperous for all "... for a few west brits yes... So we forget about young kids dying on the side of the road because trade was good for this country... I cant believe your serious... you got to be a kid that learned the revised politically correct "history"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

djpbarry wrote: »
    I’m quite aware of what they did. I just don’t agree with it. Let’s leave that topic for another thread.
    I haven’t a clue what you’re on about.
    The fact is, part of the island of Ireland is British.
    Certain people will always find an excuse to engage in violence, regardless of where international borders are drawn.

the fact is part of this island is still occupied by Britain , it is not British . a vast swathe of the population in that part of the island consider themselves Irish and wish for reunification of the island , those people would also probably consider pearse and connally as heros and not terrorists as you do , now you claim they are British and that you are Irish , i dont think so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

So the overwhelming majority have to accept the fact that a minority of morons refuse to accept facts?

The reality of the matter is a little more complex than what you're describing.The nationalist community see Ireland as a single entity, and aspire to see an end to partition. They have not accepted partition as a permanent scenario. What the nationalist community is divided on is how to end partition. The majority have agreed to the roadmap provided via the Good Friday Agreement. A minority of the nationalist population feel that the Good Friday Agreement will not end partition, and as such - feel disillusioned and feel it is neccessary to take up arms. A little bit of context goes a long way.

I am strongly in favour of the roadmap provided by the Good Friday Agreement. A minority element of nationalists are not, and feel ostracized and unconvinced with it.

Britain has to accept responsibility for some of the present miscontent. It's history with dealing with the nationalist community has been less than stellar, and is one of the main reasons why militant Republicanism exists today.

But in the same respect - dissident Republicans need to examine what exactly prolonged war will acheive. We need to enlighten them, and show them that a united Ireland must include the unionist community, and that by engaging in conflict - they are pushing the unionist community further away. From talking with a few of these guys over the years, their opinion is that unionists will never be conviced regardless of how far we extend our hands in friendship.

They also have a concern that they have no political representation, giving that even at a best case scenario with regards to MP's, nationalist interests can never be protected in Westminster. This is a problem Britain will have to address.

There is no action without direct cause. Understanding the cause is the key to harmonizing the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I wouldn't under-estimate the RIRA as the Provos began in much the same way in the late 1960's / early 1970's as a disaffected splinter of the Official IRA.

At the time the Provos emerged things were a whole lot different. There was a virtual pogrom against one section of the community, aided and abetted by the establishment. Those conditions do not exist today.
    What the RIRA want to achieve is not democracy but their own version of the very conditions that existed pre 1969, except in reverse.
    If these people are really interested in ridding the Irish people of the oppressor they need look no further than Merrion Square.

My God i cant believe your saying that.......Have you no respect for your ansestors...."

Families were too large, 8/12 children was the norm, 24 were not uncommon.

The grain trade offered work on a massive scale, all hand tilled nurtured and harvested. Big cities like Dublin, Limerick and Cork took in cooks, houskeepers, maids and so on. It was ALL based on labour and agriculture.

The average large Irish family at the time could not and never could sustain itself it needed the work desperately. Their tiny allotments were un-viable even without the crop failures.

Crop failures that had been happening for a while, not just one year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Poccington wrote: »
    Domino's better start giving their delivery men armed guards.

Not funny.

bmaxi wrote: »
    At the time the Provos emerged things were a whole lot different. There was a virtual pogrom against one section of the community, aided and abetted by the establishment. Those conditions do not exist today.
    What the RIRA want to achieve is not democracy but their own version of the very conditions that existed pre 1969, except in reverse.
    If these people are really interested in ridding the Irish people of the oppressor they need look no further than Merrion Square.

ill agree with you about the mingers in Merrion Square...but regardless of what we feel. there is going to be serious trouble in NI

• Advertisement

Families were too large, 8/12 children was the norm, 24 were not uncommon.

The grain trade offered work on a massive scale, all hand tilled nurtured and harvested. Big cities like Dublin, Limerick and Cork took in cooks, houskeepers, maids and so on. It was ALL based on labour and agriculture.

The average large Irish family at the time could not and never could sustain itself it needed the work desperately. Their tiny allotments were un-viable even without the crop failures.

Crop failures that had been happening for a while, not just one year.

Isnt that so simple... So politically correct.. Nobody really got hurted by the famine..it was just a matter of economics.... I hope you never have a hungry day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

ill agree with you about the mingers in Merrion Square...but regardless of what we feel. there is going to be serious trouble in NI

You'd better hope there isn't. If anything flared up across the border, you can bet your keyster it will affect the other side as well.
    But you don't seem to mind. You're still going on about the famine and "west Brits".

JustinDee wrote: »
    You'd better hope there isn't. If anything flared up across the border, you can bet your keyster it will affect the other side as well.
    But you don't seem to mind. You're still going on about the famine and "west Brits".

They havent gone back to UK

They havent gone back to UK
    The "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland"?? You appear to be a little muddled up.
    Which "West Brits" haven't "gone back"? Are you looking for a mass-expulsion of anyone British?

Hopefully you never get caught up with any of the poop that would arise of this delusional circumstance you make excuses for.

Honestly, this is like debating with a kid or a barstool fixture.
    Maybe you're just doing this for the rise?
    Pointless.

The "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland"?? You appear to be a little muddled up.
    Which "West Brits" haven't "gone back"? Are you looking for a mass-expulsion of anyone British?

Hopefully you never get caught up with any of the poop that would arise of this delusional circumstance you make excuses for.

Honestly, this is like debating with a kid or a barstool fixture.
    Maybe you're just doing this for the rise?
    Pointless.

Obviously another kid that learnt his history in the " revised" form

What the RIRA want to achieve is not democracy but their own version of the very conditions that existed pre 1969, except in reverse

This is because they have absolutely NO concept whatsoever of the meaning of the word 'democracy'.

Obviously another kid that learnt his history in the " revised" form

You mentioned 'the UK'. That is what 'UK' is.
    Nothing revisionist at all. In fact, it would show that I actually know what I'm talking about and that you do not.

Isnt that so simple... So politically correct.. Nobody really got hurted by the famine..it was just a matter of economics.... I hope you never have a hungry day...

No, it's you who put a very simplistic view on things by saying that the British committed genocide against the Irish in the 1860's by exporting food and leaving the Irish to die.

The truth is not simplistic at all. If the Catholic families were not so large there would not have been a ready labour market, a labour market eager for support as it could not sustain itself.

There is better farm land in the English mainland and much more of it ~ but not the people to work it. It was not in Britain's interests to have had this series of famines.

They could have done more, and in light of the importance of the grain, coming only some 30 years after European slavery has been abolished we are looking at a European picture here.

The famine years spanned two decades and ultimately changed the world.

You mentioned 'the UK'. That is what 'UK' is.
    Nothing revisionist at all. In fact, it would show that I actually know what I'm talking about and that you do not.

Have to admit schooling wasn't a thing i done..I was busier doing other things...But I know whats true and whats not..... my who;e point on this thread is that histroy continually repeats. if you keep doing things the same way you keep getting the same results.. Brits in Ireland.... same results..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Care to back that up? I fail to see how such would occur if the militant republicans somehow got a UI.

• Advertisement

No, it's you who put a very simplistic view on things by saying that the British committed genocide against the Irish in the 1860's by exporting food and leaving the Irish to die.

The truth is not simplistic at all. If the Catholic families were not so large there would not have been a ready labour market, a labour market eager for support at it could not sustain itself.

There is better farm land in the English mainland and much more of it ~ but not the people to work it. It was not in Britain's interests to have had this series of famines.

They could have done more, and in light of the importance of the grain, coming only some 30 years after European slavery has been abolished we are looking at a European picture her

The famine years spanned two decades and ultimately changed the world.

It was the 1840's // Goes to show how little you know about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In fairness I think a lot of people care about what they have to say, even those like myself who dont agree with what they are saying.

Even if its only because they can kill people.

In fairness I think that a lot of people, myself included, are afraid to say here what we really think of this bunch of crypto-fascist thugs less we draw down their patriotism on our families.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Care to back that up? I fail to see how such would occur if the militant republicans somehow got a UI.

The RIRA don't believe in democracy, as evinced by their very existence. So, therefore, I'd find it hard to believe that they yearn for democracy. As for the other part, I find it hard to believe that a bunch of thugs who threaten the rest of us, and hold us hostage to violence, really care about anybody in the community, let alone their ideological opposites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

In fairness I think that a lot of people, myself included, are afraid to say here what we really think of this bunch of crypto-fascist thugs less we draw down their patriotism on our families.
    In fairness I doubt they have some of their vols scouring this thread and marking down usernames for execution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

There will only be serious trouble in Northern Ireland if we, the people North and South, allow it to happen. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee, life is about 2011, not 1916 or 1690 or any other date they sing about in pubs.
    If your son or daughter is caught in a bomb left by these fcukers or in a backlash from equally deluded loyalists, it will be at some time in the future, not the past. All the people, North and South, need to get behind the respective police forces in their efforts to weed these people out.

It was the 1840's // Goes to show how little you know about it

Yes, dates are a little too late, but in line with the other historic events makes it even more important for England to support us. The Great Famine was still one series of events within a broader period of time were crop failures and famines occurred.

Have to admit schooling wasn't a thing i done..I was busier doing other things...But I know whats true and whats not..... my who;e point on this thread is that histroy continually repeats. if you keep doing things the same way you keep getting the same results.. Brits in Ireland.... same results..
    You think you know "what's true and what's not".
    If you attempt to defend what they intend to do with nothing more than a contrarian, apathetic attitude then don't be surprised if your line is easily lumped in as bupkis.

The people of the island spoke and overwhelmingly so. A pocket of animals not liking this doesn't excuse them the right to ignore via a deluded misguided campaign of violence. They represent no-one but themselves. In short, they're attempting to usurp, through murder, the democratic wishes of an huge majority. That is Fascism and nothing else, fella.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

kev9100 wrote: »
    I disagree. I'd say most people have ZERO interest in listening to these people. They represent no-one, have no solutions for anything and just want to drag us all back to the dark ages. Why would anyone care remotely what they think?

Most people have ZERO interest in listening to non political mafia leaders and drug barons. They represent no-one, have no solutions for anything and just want to drag us all back to the dark ages. Would anyone care remotely what organised criminals think?

Answer: Yes they certainly would. Just because you say you don't care does not mean that is actually true for you or for most people.

In fact in 15 minutes that thread generated four pages of replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

They are an insidious enemy of democracy in Ireland and you seriously don't believe that they are everywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

You just did.

Please learn the difference between "reasons" given for violence and "justification" for violence.

Advertisement