Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIRA make new years statement- Threaten to "expand its campaign in 2011"

1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

to say that orange parades should go ahead is like saying that queer bashing or taking the vote off women or burning people out of there home should be celebrated. there is an endless number of reasons why the orange order should be a thing of the past not just there links with loyalists paramilitaries. i would look forward to them marching in dublin as i didnt make it to the last one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

junder wrote: »
    So because you believe that any attempt at accommodation will be rebuffed you attuitude is to do nothing, and this helps how?

If you follow me so closely on pulse then you would be aware that 1 I don't support sectarianism and 2 never use such words as Fenians or taigs or any
    Other derogatory words for roman Catholics or people that identy themselves as irish

Haven't read that site in a long time maybe things have changed but back then it was a bit more than being rebuffed. Unless you're in a flute band or know someone on the site in real life you have to be an anti-irish hardliner or you get banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

to say that orange parades should go ahead is like saying that queer bashing or taking the vote off women or burning people out of there home should be celebrated. there is an endless number of reasons why the orange order should be a thing of the past not just there links with loyalists paramilitaries. i would look forward to them marching in dublin as i didnt make it to the last one
    The Dublin riots in 2006 wasn't about the Orange Order and people still rioted. Some people just hate Loyalists/Protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Haven't read that site in a long time maybe things have changed but back then it was a bit more than being rebuffed. Unless you're in a flute band or know someone on the site in real life you have to be an anti-irish hardliner or you get banned

Well I am not anti-Irish or a hardliner and I have yet to be banned. However you do have to be from the unionist / loyalist community to be a member

Well I am not anti-Irish or a hardliner and I have yet to be banned. However you do have to be from the unionist / loyalist community to be a member

but didn't you say you're involved with a flute band before? as I said I haven't been on it in years I don't think it was just for loyalist/unionist community back then cos there were people from America and other places on it too. This was just a bit after it stopped being calton radio. There were some good lads on it but a serious amount of bigotry and I found the moderates got a lot of abuse from the hardliners and banned unless they were known offline

• Advertisement

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The Dublin riots in 2006 wasn't about the Orange Order and people still rioted. Some people just hate Loyalists/Protestants.

surely there is a distinction between loyalists and protestants. an the march in dublin was organised by a lunatic whose family where members of the british security forces and the sole purpose of the parade was to aggravate the irish why would you just lie down and take it.loyalist parades all celebrate some time in history when they massacred the native irish why would we allow them to march also unionist or openly hostile towards the republic and everything irish why would they want to march here

surely there is a distinction between loyalists and protestants. an the march in dublin was organised by a lunatic whose family where members of the british security forces and the sole purpose of the parade was to aggravate the irish why would you just lie down and take it.loyalist parades all celebrate some time in history when they massacred the native irish why would we allow them to march also unionist or openly hostile towards the republic and everything irish why would they want to march here
    The majority of Protestants on the Island are Loyalists/Unionists. Anyway, the point is, some people can't accept loyalists or Protestants. Shame really.

The majority of Protestants on the Island are Loyalists/Unionists. Anyway, the point is, some people can't accept loyalists or Protestants. Shame really.
    i have friends who or protestants and i can assure they arent unionists.what puzzles me is what are loyalists loyal to and why

i have friends who or protestants and i can assure they arent unionists.what puzzles me is what are loyalists loyal to and why
    I said majority. And you know the answer to that question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭max 73

Mindless thuggery & bully boy bs…wake up and realise how foolish you sound

• Advertisement

why would you be loyal to somebody who clearly couldnt give a flying fcuk about yous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

And exactly What would you do if you did make it to an orange parade?

go and see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

The majority of Protestants on the Island are Loyalists/Unionists.

Where do you get that idea from? You are aware that the largest Protestant denomination on the Ireland disestablished itself from the State some time ago in 1869 ?

ISAW wrote: »
    Where do you get that idea from? You are aware that the largest Protestant denomination on the Ireland disestablished itself from the State some time ago in 1869 ?

In the republic census 2006 4.8% of people identify as Protestant or non-RC Christian, the population recorded as 4.2million

So roughly 200,000 Protestants

In Northern Ireland there's about 1.7million people, 53% Protestant so about 950,000

Now most of the ones in the republic will be nationalist and most in the north unionist. The exceptions on each side would cancel each other out so for simplicity's sake lets just say they all are.

Therefore out of 1.15 million Protestants on the island approx 83% are unionist.

Well above a majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Surprised this thread is still going, anyway they haven't been up to much lately except for a few kneecappings.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Surprised this thread is still going, anyway they haven't been up to much lately except for a few kneecappings.
    Nothing serious then. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Nothing serious then. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. :D
    I say they are planning something, OnH where too, thakfully they didnt detonate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In the republic census 2006 4.8% of people identify as Protestant or non-RC Christian, the population recorded as 4.2million

So roughly 200,000 Protestants

In Northern Ireland there's about 1.7million people, 53% Protestant so about 950,000

Now most of the ones in the republic will be nationalist and most in the north unionist. The exceptions on each side would cancel each other out so for simplicity's sake lets just say they all are.

Therefore out of 1.15 million Protestants on the island approx 83% are unionist.

Well above a majority

Depends what you call a 'nationalist' - I'm C of I and I can only recall knowing one Protestant nationalist - ever. There are the likes of FF's Martin Mansergh and Jack Boothman (of GAA fame) but I shouldn't think that they represent many protestants as such. Probably the majority of Protestants who have grown up in Ireland since 1948 regard themselves as Irish but not 'nationalists' - I think very few of them would aspire to some mythical United Ireland and most just want to get on in peace with their neighbours. Only in recent days I was talking to a Protestant friend in the SE who was getting very worked up about the 'Shinners' doing well in the General Election - I was quite surprised that someone a good deal younger than me would have such an attitude. Old loyalties do indeed die hard.

Depends what you call a 'nationalist' - I'm C of I and I can only recall knowing one Protestant nationalist - ever. There are the likes of FF's Martin Mansergh and Jack Boothman (of GAA fame) but I shouldn't think that they represent many protestants as such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Irishmen#The_United_Irishmen_and_sectarianism
    Most of the United Irish leadership and ideologues were born into Presbyterian families. They became deists after 1790.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mitchel
    John Mitchel's father also John, was educated mainly at the University of Glasgow, he entered the ministry early as a Presbyterian clergyman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Ireland#Membership
    The Church of Ireland experienced major decline during the 20th century, both in Northern Ireland, where around 65% of its members live, and in the Republic of Ireland which contains upwards of 35%. However, the Church of Ireland in the Republic has shown substantial growth in the last two national censuses; its membership is now back to the levels of sixty years ago
    Probably the majority of Protestants who have grown up in Ireland since 1948 regard themselves as Irish but not 'nationalists'

As opposed to growing up in Ireland and not regarding themselves as Irish at all?
    - I think very few of them would aspire to some mythical United Ireland and most just want to get on in peace with their neighbours.

As apparently do the SDLP and Sinn Féin.
    Only in recent days I was talking to a Protestant friend in the SE

what is the SE?
    who was getting very worked up about the 'Shinners' doing well in the General Election - I was quite surprised that someone a good deal younger than me would have such an attitude. Old loyalties do indeed die hard.

It could be just as likely he was irked at their economic policy.

• Advertisement

Depends what you call a 'nationalist' - I'm C of I and I can only recall knowing one Protestant nationalist - ever. There are the likes of FF's Martin Mansergh and Jack Boothman (of GAA fame) but I shouldn't think that they represent many protestants as such. Probably the majority of Protestants who have grown up in Ireland since 1948 regard themselves as Irish but not 'nationalists' - I think very few of them would aspire to some mythical United Ireland and most just want to get on in peace with their neighbours. Only in recent days I was talking to a Protestant friend in the SE who was getting very worked up about the 'Shinners' doing well in the General Election - I was quite surprised that someone a good deal younger than me would have such an attitude. Old loyalties do indeed die hard.

Aye you're probably right. So most likely an even higher figure than 83%

Aye you're probably right. So most likely an even higher figure than 83%

I disagree. EDIT: It appears on mature reflection I may have been wrong in my expectations see below

53 per cent of protestants equate Protestant with Britishness:
    http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2007/Identity/BRITPROT.html#religion

a further 9 per cent strongly do and 13 per cent slightly do

That's 75 per cent not 83 and that is only of the North so the figure for all ireland would be lower.

Although 85 percent of Protestants do want to remain under British rule:
    http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2006/Political_Attitudes/NIRELAND.html#religion

some interesting questions:
    http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/results/identity.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

If you follow me so closely on pulse then you would be aware that 1 I don't support sectarianism and 2 never use such words as Fenians or taigs or any
    Other derogatory words for roman Catholics or people that identy themselves as irish

I never said you did...

Advertisement