Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Book Giveaway

Options
  • 03-01-2011 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

http://www.worldbooknight.org/

Is anyone applying for this? I'm interested in participating myself; basically, you apply to be a 'book giver', and if you're successful you receive 48 books of a particular title (25 chosen titles here) to give to random people on World Book Night, 5th March 2011. You can give the books to whomever, but I think theres particular emphasis on people who don't read much (through disadvantage etc). I think its a fantastic concept, and hopefully it will encourage people to get back into the habit, or maybe even start.

Bad news being that the deadline for application is Tuesday at 9am, meaning I'll really need to focus on getting this done at some point tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I knew about this but I kept it secret! :D

I might apply for All Quiet on the Wester Front. They say they're giving away 1 million books, but 20,000 (number of givers) times 48 (number of books given per giver) = 960,000. Perhaps givers get two other books for themselves.

It's an interesting concept. Will it encourage people to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

well lets just say, leavin it until the last minute to post about this wasnt entirely accidental.. :D

Unfortunately, it says the remaining 40,000 are given out by the commitee, so no free books for us. I would love to apply for Cloud Atlas, but its quite a commitment so I'm gonna give it some more thought today. I'm not too sure it'll encourage people to read, actually. We've all given non-readers books for Christmas, and most of the time they remain unread.. its no different really. I think the real benefit will be in sharing with other readers a book you really enjoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

great idea, to find 48 people that would actually read them might be a challenge though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Sounds like an excellent idea but i dont fully understand it, you get 48 copies of the same book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Filling in the application form right now, but I'm totally stumped by the question of "how and to whom you would like to give the books". I'd like to start with my friends and family, and their friends and family, but obviously the point of the exercise is to give them to people who otherwise might not read books very often. I don't exactly want to open my house up to a public collection - and I really can't think of anywhere I could arrange to give out books at such short notice because of insurance reasons (seeing as the application has to be in tomorrow!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Sounds like an excellent idea but i dont fully understand it, you get 48 copies of the same book?

Yeah, the idea is that you pick your favourite book from those listed, and if you're successful they send you 48 so you can infect others with a similar enthusiasm.
    E.T. wrote: »
    Filling in the application form right now, but I'm totally stumped by the question of "how and to whom you would like to give the books". I'd like to start with my friends and family, and their friends and family, but obviously the point of the exercise is to give them to people who otherwise might not read books very often. I don't exactly want to open my house up to a public collection - and I really can't think of anywhere I could arrange to give out books at such short notice because of insurance reasons (seeing as the application has to be in tomorrow!)

Yeah, this is getting me a bit as well. Would be ideal to host some kind of evening for family/friends where people could come in for a glass of wine and pick up a copy or whatever, but I don't think thats what they want. Maybe going to a retirement home, or giving copies to schools in disadvantaged areas or something? It's a lot to commit to. I guess it could be worth it though.

Sent in the application anyway, so fingers crossed! Thanks for letting us know about it nervous twitch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Delighted to see Northern Lights in there.
    I couldn't for the life of me think of 48 people to give a book to, however.

Though if my kids were of a school-going age, I'd certainly pack the box off with them. No doubt the local Magisterium Catholic school would love it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Seems applications are still open?

Hard to know which book to pick, I'd probably go for All Quiet on the Western Front too, truly fantastic piece of writing, must resist the urge to cheat and pick a book I haven't read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Oh thanks for that, I'll have a look. I only found out about this today & thought I had missed it.

I just found out about it earlier on the bookcrossing website
    www.bookcrossing.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

On the Waterstone's website, the giveaway is open til January 24th so there is still a chance to take part!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

From the thread title, I thought someone had discovered a vast stockpile of World Book Encyclopedias :D

Got an email saying the deadline has been extended until the 24th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I applied for this in December. My book choice was The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by le Carré.

I had put it to the back of my mind but I hope I get it now. It would be great to share that book with lots of people because it had a profound effect on me as a teenager and an adult.

If anyone wants to apply, I would say do it. It closes tomorrow, and we find out before the 28th of January (Friday).

Fingers crossed, everyone!

Quick question: did anyone who applied receive a confirmation email?

I didn't. :)

Yep I got an email last week saying thanks for applying and that the application date was being extended so they'd be in touch at a later date if I was chosen.

Did anyone hear if they were sucessful in getting the books? They said in the e-mail that they would let us know on 28th January.

Unfortunately I can't get into my e-mail at the moment.

Thanks.

No nothing yet. Fingers crossed, though. They extended the closing date, so it's possible it will take a little longer.

EDIT: Their Twitter says we'll find out in the next few days, so it could be awhile.

• Advertisement

Got an email today saying they need until Monday before they can decide and let people know.

Yup - apparently there were 25,000 applications, and there's 20,000 spots, so people should have a good shot. (I can do ze statistics! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Yay!!! I got an email saying I was successful. I will be receiving 48 copies of 'The Spy who came in from the Cold' by John le Carre. I'll contact the organization I was going to give them to and see if they're interested, I'm sure they will be. I'd also quite like to read it myself biggrin.gif Muchos Gracias Senor Twitch!

Congrats hatful! Havent yet read that myself. Was anyone else successful?

Yup, 48 copies of All Quiet On The Western Front coming my way! :)

Yaaay! As all you young people would say!

I was sucessful, 48 copies of "Dissolution" by C.J. Sansom. I just recently read 2 other books in this Shardlake series & I really enjoyed them. So I'm looking forward to reading this one.

So far we all seem to have different books. So maybe we could share a copy? I'm willing to send on a copy to anyone who'd like one. I'm a member of Book Crossing anyway, so I hope to register these books & follow their travels around the world! See here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055897240

There's great excitement about this on the Book Crossing site.

So what is everyone doing? How do you plan to distribute the books? I'm hoping to distribute all mine through Book Crossing but I'll have to be a bit imaginative. I love this idea!

Just got an email to say I'll be giving out 48 copies of Seamus Heaney's Selected Poems.
    Travel is good, that bookcrossing idea is brilliant, I love the thought of 'releasing' books! Must get organised and figure out exactly how to give them out.

My sister's in Leaving Cert now, so I'm hoping to give a few to her friends - I was that age when I started reading seriously so maybe it'll rub off on them. However I'm not going to hand them out to any 'oul kid.

I don't really want to hand many of them out to established readers either, as part of the goal is to encourage new readers.

I wonder will they be strict about giving them out on that one night?

Apparently all the books will be pre-registered with Book Crossing?! There's a Book Crossing drop off point in a cafe in Cork - might put one in there!

I don't really want to hand many of them out to established readers either, as part of the goal is to encourage new readers.

I wonder will they be strict about giving them out on that one night?

Apparently all the books will be pre-registered with Book Crossing?! There's a Book Crossing drop off point in a cafe in Cork - might put one in there!

That's a good idea Eliot, to hand the books out to non-established readers. I was wondering that too, did we have to give all the books out on the one night? It might be hard to do.

I only found out yesterday that Book Crossing is coming on board. There is an active group of members in Cork, you should check it out, you sound like an ideal Book Crosser!

Anyway, hope everyone is successful, and thanks OP for tipping us off!

• Advertisement

That's a good idea Eliot, to hand the books out to non-established readers. I was wondering that too, did we have to give all the books out on the one night? It might be hard to do.!

I actually thought you kind of had to give books to people who don't generally read, but looking on the website I see that's not true! I'll still try to though!
    I only found out yesterday that Book Crossing is coming on board. There is an active group of members in Cork, you should check it out, you sound like an ideal Book Crosser!

I think I'd be a terrible Book Crosser - I simply love buying new books and keeping them on my bookshelf for ever! :D

Advertisement