Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Book Giveaway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I was selected too. I'm delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Apparently all the books will be pre-registered with Book Crossing?! There's a Book Crossing drop off point in a cafe in Cork - might put one in there!

Is that definite? Love the idea of the books being passed on. I'm thinking now of giving a couple of copies each to local social centres and retirement homes. Then I'd invite friends up on the night and they can have a copy - not all of my friends would read much any more so this would cover that angle. I'll ask them to pass on the books to someone else after 6 months, and upload the details to bookcrossing.com. I'll have to put a reminder on my phone to actually text people six months down the line though!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

I'm selected too. 48 copies of Cloud Atlas. I've already 3 requests. I was planning to distribute them as part of my commute (a pleasant change to reading the Metro) but World Book Day is a Saturday so that's scuppered.

That would have been a great idea emergingwriter. Does anyone know how strict they'll be about giving them out on the Saturday. It's a good day to get people together, but probably not for giving books in to some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

'World Book night branded misguided misjudged'
    Independent booksellers and authors say the million-book giveaway will damage trade and writers' incomes

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/feb/10/world-book-night-branded-misguided-misjudged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

I've been selected to give out The spy who came in from the cold, but like others strugling to think where to give them out. The only place people go on a Sat night in Ireland is the pub, and if ya give them out there, half of them will end up as beer mats by the end of the night.

Got an email from them to say that the books can be given away during the day on Saturday the 5th, and also after that date, as long as they're not given away before then. Whew, that makes things a lot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Most definitely! I've started making a list of people to give it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Yes, I just got an e-mail from the organisers to say we can start giving out the books during the day of the 5th. Like you all, I'm struggling about the thought of giving out all the books on the same night. As a lover of books, I'd hate to think of them being dumped on the floor of some pub. I hear some of the libraries/bookshops might be open late, that would be a safer option.

Elliott, the Book Crossers down in Cork are starting to get organised for the night. I know you said you wouldn't be a good Book Crosser (but I still think you would!!)

As far as I know the books will all be registered for you all on the BookCrossing site, so you will be able to track your books' journeys.

It sounds exciting! I don't think it will damage the author's income, it might actually raise their profile.

I started asking friends and family (a good mixture of readers and non-readers) and have about 15 people down so far, still waiting on others. I've another ten or so earmarked for places they've recommended eg local hospitals, welfare homes etc. Getting through them faster than I thought, especially seeing as I haven't heard back from a few people yet!

• Advertisement

Has anyone heard anything about their pick up point? I emailed them back 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Yeah, I got an email:

Dear xxx

We’re writing today to confirm the pickup point you’ll be using to collect your books. Your 48 copies of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold will be sent to the following address:

xxx
    xxx
    xxx

Your World Book Night books should arrive during this week but in advance of going to collect them, we would ask you to contact your pickup point to confirm that they have arrived. The collection point will ask you for some identification when you collect your books and this should be something like a credit card or a driving license. We also want to warn you that the box of books may be bulky so please ensure that you make adequate preparations. Please also note that if you have selected any of these titles (A Fine Balance, Northern Lights, Rachel’s Holiday, Half of a Yellow Sun, Cloud Atlas, The Blind Assassin, Dissolution, One Day, Fingersmith or Case Histories), you will have two boxes of books to collect due to the length of these particular titles. You have been warned!

Woo hoo! I got my books sucessfully yesterday evening. I picked a book shop with car parking nearby, and brought a shopping trolley with me. I knew I'd have 2 heavy boxes to carry.

Anyway, the books look good. They have a special cover, pre-printed for WBN. There is a label on the back where you are supposed to put the WBN registered number. Of course, no sign of any number, and I've e-mailed the organisers to ask them about that.

As far as I know the organisers are registering the books on the book crossing site see here:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/worldbooknight/

and they seem to be furiously registering all the books. So I'd say (hopefully) we'll hear soon!

The plan is that then you can track your books as they travel all over the world.

I'm trying to think of ways now to distribute the books. Enjoy it everyone & hope you all get your books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I emailed them back a collection point and have to hear anything either, will look in to it.

I emailed them back a collection point and have to hear anything either, will look in to it.

Still hadn't heard back so took a chance and rang the place I'd emailed them as my pick-up point, they said they have the books ready and waiting!

Books! :D

150051.JPG

150052.JPG

150053.JPG

150054.JPG

150055.JPG

E.T. wrote: »
    Still hadn't heard back so took a chance and rang the place I'd emailed them as my pick-up point, they said they have the books ready and waiting!

Cheers E.T. I rang the shop and still no sign but boxes are arriving in on a day by day basis so hopefully they'll arrive in time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I am in the same boat as to no confirmation after emailing them a pick up point. Rang the collection point there now and the lady in charge is out until tomorrow. The Lady on the phone didn't know too much about it so she said she'd try to get the manager to call me back.

Looks like I'll be ringing tomorrow to see if they are in.

Did your books have tracking numbers on them? Mine didn't.

Did your books have tracking numbers on them? Mine didn't.

Didn't the box have a barcode on the side? I assume they could be traced, but it would take awhile.

• Advertisement

Just recieved an email from 30 mins ago giving me a tracking number to put on the books so I will ring shop tomorrow but can only assume they are/will be there

Yawns wrote: »
    Just recieved an email from 30 mins ago giving me a tracking number to put on the books so I will ring shop tomorrow but can only assume they are/will be there

They had mis-titled my box of books, so someone else would have gotten two boxes if they hadn't realised before they left shop. Happy out to have the books, now to start giving them away.

Yawns wrote: »
    I got my e-mail too. So now I need to put all the numbers on the books.

It's a bit confusing, a lot of people on the book crossing website didn't get the books they asked for either.

I'm happy, as "Dissolution" was my first choice. I have a list of people now to give them to, and will also distribute as many as i can on the night.

Collected my books and got an email this evening with the numbers to write in the books. I asked the people in the bookshop if I needed to sign for the books - they said no, they knew absolutely nothing about them. They said they weren't expecting them and hadn't been contacted about it by the organisers. Very strange.

E.T. wrote: »
    Collected my books and got an email this evening with the numbers to write in the books. I asked the people in the bookshop if I needed to sign for the books - they said no, they knew absolutely nothing about them. They said they weren't expecting them and hadn't been contacted about it by the organisers. Very strange.

I collected mine from my local Easons and had a similar experience. They guy behind the counter asked me if I needed to pay for them!

I assume the problem has come from Easons HQ not contacting the local stores and informing them of what to do. Obviously the World Book Night organizers would have had to get permission before they started sending out books to the store.

Called to Eason's today again. Lady said yes there was some boxes here, no names or anything. Went in to collect and there was 2. I thought I was getting different book but no got Killing Floor, my 1st pref.

When i went to collect the girl kept looking on a shelf at the counter. I was like, erm I think it may be 1 or 2 boxes. She didn't understand so I said it should be about 48 books. :D She then thought they might be out back :D

Got them anyway. It seems only 1 person in Eason's shop knew about the situation in full. Others knew about world book night but not that they were a collection point at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

This thread has gone ominously quiet!

Did this happen? How did it go?

Well, I was one of the lucky ones - I got my books OK. A lot of people didn't get their books in time, or got titles that they didn't request.

On the night I distibuted books at a local shopping centre, not in a salubrious area. I figured that way the books would go to people who don't normally read books.

I was surprised at how difficult it was. Many people did not want the free books. I really had to persuade people. The best result I had was when we went across to McDonalds. A lady there (who looked a bit down on her luck) was delighted to take a book.

Anyway I manged to give away most of them, and just a few remain that I had promised to people.

If I had thought about it, over the last few weeks I would have had more opportunities to give away the books as I am a memberr of various groups. I just found it difficult to distribute all the books on that one night.

I hear they are taking registrations for next year already, so any of you boardsie literature fans should have a look at the WBN website
    http://www.worldbooknight.org/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Thought I should mention that one of Eliots books found its way to my letterbox. I sent him back a book in return today, because I have an insane belief in returning all random acts of kindness with a comparable act of kindness. This way the universe won't sneak up on me and demand something terrible, as it clearly would otherwise.

• Advertisement

Denerick wrote: »
    all random acts of kindness

You are so funny! that made me laugh! You're obviously surfing too much on a certain other website that I frequent. :)

I hear "All Quiet on the Western Front" is really good, if that is the book you received from Elliott. I'm hoping to receive a copy of that title too, from another WBN giver.

I just recently borrowed the audio version from the library. It's a way to sneak in another book while driving the car.

Anyhow I thought the selection of 25 books for WBN was quite impressive. I wonder how they will come up with another 25 for 2012, shouldn't be hard.

Advertisement