Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Boards

Options
  • 03-01-2011 5:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Okay so im new here to Boards.ie and im having a few problems

1) Is there a page where you can see all the mods on boards.ie . Currently i cant see one but then again maybe im not looking in the right location. :D
    Just it would be handy if there is one showing all the mods that deal with certain areas. would be handy if oneself could go to a mod instead of The contact us page to find out how to contact the mods of a problem. Its a bit difficult to navigate around boards.ie due to the large volume of people on the site. So having that on the very top would a major help for a newbie like me who is stuck.(im currently using using the new beta version thats what got me to here, but the Sys is a bit confusing. missed this section a few times):p

2) It say that your not allowed to post the name of your website or advertise something but does doing the following conflict with that.

Say someone is looking for something and cant find it. Can you give them an add like this http://tinyurl.com/aau3g7 to go to your page or the page of someone else's. of course that being relevant to the topic of the tread.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Is there a page where you can see all the mods on boards.ie . Currently i cant see one but then again maybe im not looking in the right location. :D

When you are on a particular forum's main page (such as After Hours for instance) The Moderators of the forum are listed in the bottom right hand corner of the page, along with the CMods of whichever 'Category' the forum happens to fall under, like so:

afterhours.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

2) It say that your not allowed to post the name of your website or advertise something but does doing the following conflict with that.

Say someone is looking for something and cant find it. Can you give them an add like this http://tinyurl.com/aau3g7 to go to your page or the page of someone else's. of course that being relevant to the topic of the tread.
    As long as you're not regularly pimping your own or another website, you should be OK.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

List here of Admins, CMods & Subscribers, not sure if there is a mod list. Must be one around somewhere.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showgroups.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

heh -eamonnfallon is an 'employee' of boards.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Macros42 wrote: »
    heh -eamonnfallon is an 'employee' of boards.ie :D

Shouldn't "subscriber" be more accurate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

esel wrote: »
    As long as you're not regularly pimping your own or another website, you should be OK.

Ok but thats my site, so does it still conflict with the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hi,

If you are posting in response to a direct question then posting a URL should be ok as long as the url is relevant to the question.

eg: "where can I buy flowers for my mother?"

answer 1: "www.flowersforyourmother.com" : I always found them useful
    answer 2: yore ma!
    answer 3: this is interesting: www.somerandompr0nsite.xxx
    answer 4: how about chocolates instead "www.linktomychocolateshop.com"

of these, only answer 1 would be acceptable (2 would be funny but not allowed).

from your link:
    1. it would be better not to use a tinyURL as the user cannot see where they are going at all. I say better, but tinyURLs are not (currently) against any rules.

2. I honestly can never see a time when a "let me google that for you" alternative google access page will ever be a relevant response to a question that "have you tried google?" wouldnt fit just as well (unless the question is "does anyone know of a website that does exactly what google does and returns google search results but isnt actually google?" ) and even then your site still forward to google for the results so the user still ends up visiting.

the only difference between your site and google , in terms of responding to someone's query, is that
    a: your site is designed to be a sarcastic response to people who havent searched for an answer themselves before posting
    b: your site has its own sponsored ads and allows advertising for $199 : => its a commercial site => no disguised link (that includes the tinyurl for commercial sites) so posting up a link to your site for anything other than a question about alternative ways to access google would be considered spamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 istatri

hey sorry about this new here to boards, just created an account, i was looking to create a thread and get some feed back but i am unable to do that there is no option for create thread under a particular subject matter can someone help with this please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Which forum are you trying to post in?

The site is split up into several hundred individual forums - each with a different topic. If you're not sure which forum would suit you best, feel free to let us know what you're looking for feedback on and we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Hey i did a search for a forum regarding parenting but im unable to create a thread anywhere...i have check the faq and it mentions something about right permissions but i am unable to get further...i dont want to post on someones existing thread...dont know if this makes sense

• Advertisement

Are you not seeing the "New Thread" button?

356658.jpg

On a touch screen device it looks like this:

356660.jpg

I have just seen it now I didn't see it before but don't laugh I was obviously not in a forum I was searching and then looking for the new thread option so the search results were showing after I searched for say Parenting but no option to make a thread. I have now gone into a forum and I have created a thread as u have described with your screenshots ...much a appreciated

Happy to help and welcome :)

Advertisement