Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing tired of being alone.

• 03-01-2011 5:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    Before I start there are a small few things you need to know.

I am a 21 y/o and yes I am out, to about 50% of the people I actually want to tell. Parents and best friend dealt with and it went better than expected.

So here's the problem.
    I come from a rural area in Kilkenny a few miles from the town
    There's only one gay person that's out in the locality and he is looked down upon by a handful of people. I'm finding it next to impossible to find anyone in Kilkenny my own age (or in and around) that's isn't just looking for a quick shag. Plus it doesn't help that I am infact quite picky with my taste in men. I just can't put up with camp guys, there's generally allot of drama involved and any one that isn't camp seems to be much older.

So my question is, is there any where I can go and meet gay men for a chat and a laugh and take things from there. I've heard of different organisations but is there any where actually in Kilkenny?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Not familiar with Kilkenny, but what's stopping you from moving to somewhere more Gay Friendly?

EDIT: Also, hasn't Kilkenny got a gay bar now? That may be somewhere to start looking for someone? If not, Waterford isn't too far from you and although the LGBT scene there is only new, it is larger than Kilkenny.

Best of Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Hi all. First time posting here!

Waterford's scene is great now. Such a surprise considering the size! Mid week nights are great with karaoke and quiz nights when you can really chat and meet people.
    And as far as I recall, the gay bar closed in Kilkenny? So perhaps the uptake there isn't as great. But Waterford is mad about it! :P

Hi all. First time posting here!

Waterford's scene is great now. Such a surprise considering the size! Mid week nights are great with karaoke and quiz nights when you can really chat and meet people.
    And as far as I recall, the gay bar closed in Kilkenny? So perhaps the uptake there isn't as great. But Waterford is mad about it! :P

I really do need to start supporting the scene in my hometown. It's funny: I would have no problem marching in a Pride March anywhere on this planet except in my hometown. The thought of the friends of friends knowing I'm not straight where I live is scarier than telling my extended family.

That being said, I have gone into Dignity in the Crystal City as "straight" and had some great nights! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Belongto runs a group in Waterford and Tipperary if thats of any interest, 21 you're still well within the age bracket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭40040D

This is funny I was just about to post a topic similar to this:D ! Ahh I'm in the same situation - fed up of being single though.:(

I'm from Carlow and tbh theres not much of a gay scene around here either, there is an LGBT soc in the I.T but you rarely hear any sort of events happening around the town.

A few years ago there was a pub/club called Cosmo Browns - pretty sure it was a gay friendly place but has since closed down.

It is unfortunate as there is quite a few gay men & women about Carlow, and I think a gay bar/club would go down well and possibly be very popular particularly among students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know that there are groups in Carlow and Kilkenny

I'm trying to get details at the moment.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Belongto runs a group in Waterford and Tipperary if thats of any interest, 21 you're still well within the age bracket :)

Actually, on that note (now this could have it's own thread) does anyone here have first hand experience with Belongto? What is there purpose? For example, I'm a guy who wants to meet new LGBT people and can't exactly walk into a gay bar on my own (or won't).

Is Belongto the place for me?

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    Actually, on that note (now this could have it's own thread) does anyone here have first hand experience with Belongto? What is there purpose? For example, I'm a guy who wants to meet new LGBT people and can't exactly walk into a gay bar on my own (or won't).

Is Belongto the place for me?

what age are you? its a youth group

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    what age are you? its a youth group

I'm 20, which is a factor why I wouldn't be too pushed going. I never saw the need anyhow because I was in college. But now that I am not... I don't really know where else to go to get involved with the LGBT community again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm 20, which is a factor why I wouldn't be too pushed going. I never saw the need anyhow because I was in college. But now that I am not... I don't really know where else to go to get involved with the LGBT community again.

I've been to the Sunday group a few times but I stopped going to that as it woul mostly be 15/16 year olds. However, last semester I started going to the over 18s group which would be aimed more at our age group (I'm 19 btw). Its on every second Wednesday and the group usually all go to the pub after. There are usually 8-14 people there. However, I stopped going at the end of the last semester due to exams etc, but I plan on starting to go back this semester. What college are you in? Did you join the LGBT soc there?
    I came very close to joining the one in UCD but chickened out in case someone saw me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I came very close to joining the one in UCD but chickened out in case someone saw me :(
    Don't be afraid to join it, they are very active (at least 2 coffee mornings and a night out every week, in general). There should be a Re-Fresher's afternoon at the start of semester 2, or else check their Facebook page.

Don't be afraid to join it, they are very active (at least 2 coffee mornings and a night out every week, in general). There should be a Re-Fresher's afternoon at the start of semester 2, or else check their Facebook page.

Thanks for that info. I might just go to one of the coffee mornins and join there. Hopefully I won't chicken out again this semester though. You can do that can't you, join at a coffee morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You can do that can't you, join at a coffee morning?
    You can indeed. Just say it to someone there and they'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks Rainbow Kirby, that takes away the worry of being seen by someone I know. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

... I don't really know where else to go to get involved with the LGBT community again.
    What about volunteering somewhere? I know that Marriage Equality are always looking for volunteers, not sure about Glen or Noise. It could be a way to meet people, and at least you'd have something in common from the start, something I found difficult with Belong To.

There are loads of different types of groups you could join - DIGS, sports groups, interest groups - I could list about 20 right now - Juggling, book club, rugby, soccer, swimming, acting, skiing, hiking, outdoor, social groups, activist groups,

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement