Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography is Considered as an Art

Options
  • 03-01-2011 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Photography is often hotly debated as an art form, simply because people make the assumption that taking a photograph of something does not create art – it merely captures something that already exists.

Photography shows is the photographer’s vision. Whether you realize it or not, when you look at a photograph, you are looking at a scene that existed in reality, yes – but you’re also looking at how the photographer chose to frame it, present it, and spin it in order to make a piece of art.

Sometimes an object which would have never caught anyone’s eye in the real world can be photographed in such a way that it makes a statement and becomes art. This is where the photographer’s skill comes into play, and this is where photography crosses the line into art.

If you have a passion to click a photographs like this then click it and upload it in our website.

Sell Digital Photos
    Digital Photography Galleries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm just following new posts, I don't see a web link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

viewbug123 wrote: »
    Photography is often hotly debated as an art form, simply because people make the assumption that taking a photograph of something does not create art – it merely captures something that already exists.

Photography shows is the photographer’s vision. Whether you realize it or not, when you look at a photograph, you are looking at a scene that existed in reality, yes – but you’re also looking at how the photographer chose to frame it, present it, and spin it in order to make a piece of art.

Sometimes an object which would have never caught anyone’s eye in the real world can be photographed in such a way that it makes a statement and becomes art. This is where the photographer’s skill comes into play, and this is where photography crosses the line into art.

If you have a passion to click a photographs like this then click it and upload it in our website.

As a photographer I'd have to say that its what the photographer see's from the scene/image and (like you mentioned) how he/she presents this to the public which makes it "art"

I have been at concerts where I was photographing with other photographers - but looking at the papers the next day others were getting images I didnt see - instead of photographing the main subject they were shooting the main subject and their image in the main screen behind them (2 images of the same person) ....from an artistic side their image was much better than mine
    as it was something different - it was the image they spotted ...and brought out to public view.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    papers the next day others were getting images I didnt see -.

When I do concert work I have a brief from the pics editor. Sometimes I'm told to get closeup tight shots of maybe one performer.

Other times I'm told to get wide [atmospheric/creative slant etc, etc] for 1/2 page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

AFAIK photography is pretty much accepted as an art these days, or at least the possibility of it being art. Someone might manipulate the content of their photograph, the way in which it's produced or use a device like narrative to bring something easily missed to the fore. In these cases it can be pretty easy to see it as art. Whether it's good art is another story though ;)

Two examples that spring to mind are this project by Dennis Morris, where he reinterprets the story of the crucifiction using inner city scenes.

And pretty much any photography of Miroslav Tichy. This is one of his cameras:

35005-Miroslav+Tichy.jpg

A project by Dennis Morris, where he reinterprets the story of the crucifiction using inner city scenes.

I think this is a very, very, very far stretch of the imagination to explain rubbish. But then a lot of art gets called that so what do I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

gbee wrote: »
    I think this is a very, very, very far stretch of the imagination to explain rubbish.

Welcome to modern art ;)

EDIT: If you want to post up an example of some photography you consider to be art then we can contrast and compare - could be interesting. I happen to like that Morris project even though I usually can't stand that type of work.

Advertisement