Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    coming up on 10 or 11 months now without them.
    I have to check when I bought my first electric cigarette.

feel much better,
    and really glad I gave them up.

How are you finding the e-cigg? Was it difficult to make the tranistion? Which one are you using and do you feel it totally substitutes cigarettes? Plus, as a matter of interest, do you feel any healthier on that as opposed to the "real thing"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

I have had e-cigs in about 8 months mate.
    but when I got my first one, that was it, I was off smokes altogether.

now I didnt smoke it as though I was smoking the real thing.
    I take drags off it when I felt like it.
    some times a few mins inbetween, some times a good while longer.

But yeah it completely substituted smokes altogether.
    I was on them for about 2 months,
    and felt better. And didnt smell of smoke anymore either.

after I gave the e-cigs up, I felt the wanting to smoke them,
    I more wanted the e-cig than smokes.
    but just decided I was staying off both.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi all,

Didn't think I'd make it, but it's day 50 today without the evils. Still NOT easy! How is everyone else doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

16 months now since my last cigarette. I quit through hypnosis. I wasn't a great believer going in to it, was just kind of curious to see what would happen. But I left my cigs and lighters in her office and haven't had one since. Very easy too, not effortless but cravings were easy to overcome and it was easy not to think about smoking. I'd recommend anyone give it a try! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

the dee wrote: »
    16 months now since my last cigarette. I quit through hypnosis. I wasn't a great believer going in to it, was just kind of curious to see what would happen. But I left my cigs and lighters in her office and haven't had one since. Very easy too, not effortless but cravings were easy to overcome and it was easy not to think about smoking. I'd recommend anyone give it a try! :)

Fair play. 61 hours since my last one, trying it cold turkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

susanweir wrote: »
    Hi all,

Didn't think I'd make it, but it's day 50 today without the evils. Still NOT easy! How is everyone else doing?

Congrats - 50 days a day at a time is a great stretch. Congrats to Anna too - you're about the same I think? I quit on Dec 26th, so yesterday was my 2 Month mark, or today is 7 weeks or 63 days if I'm still counting in days, which I still am at times! Not easy, but definitely doable. When I have a hankering for a smoke (after a meal sometimes, taking a break after a stint of work, after an argument; I never have a first thing in the morning crave any more, I even have breakfast sometimes!) - I step back in my mind and give that thought some careful consideration. Indulging in a harmless habit, or giving in to a health destroying addiction? Will it be one gasper or a million? Will I end up being one of the 50% of smokers who shuffles off the planet thanks to smoking-related disease or will I be one of the lucky ones who just stinks and coughs for the remainder of his days? A few minutes thinking like this - about the time it used to take me to take in a nicotine hit - and I'm happy to decide, once again, not to be taking a puff this time or any time, god help me!

Good luck to all who're making the journey...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

To everyone who has give up: Well done. I'm proud of you!

And to those who have recently started the journey... congrats on taking the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Dalan wrote: »
    Congrats - 50 days a day at a time is a great stretch. Congrats to Anna too - you're about the same I think? I quit on Dec 26th, so yesterday was my 2 Month mark, or today is 7 weeks or 63 days if I'm still counting in days, which I still am at times! Not easy, but definitely doable. When I have a hankering for a smoke (after a meal sometimes, taking a break after a stint of work, after an argument; I never have a first thing in the morning crave any more, I even have breakfast sometimes!) - I step back in my mind and give that thought some careful consideration. Indulging in a harmless habit, or giving in to a health destroying addiction? Will it be one gasper or a million? Will I end up being one of the 50% of smokers who shuffles off the planet thanks to smoking-related disease or will I be one of the lucky ones who just stinks and coughs for the remainder of his days? A few minutes thinking like this - about the time it used to take me to take in a nicotine hit - and I'm happy to decide, once again, not to be taking a puff this time or any time, god help me!

Good luck to all who're making the journey...

Hi ya Dalan its Molly here. Well done to u, O i fell off the wagon. Smoked a few on a night out and went back smoking a few every day since. So starting today all over again:D Keep up ur doing great

For those of us who have got past the physical withdrawal pains of the first few days and weeks, but still have to battle with thoughts and temptations, here's a good piece about re-training our thought patterns (and leads on to various other stuff too). http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/12609

molly77 wrote: »
    Hi ya Dalan its Molly here. Well done to u, O i fell off the wagon. Smoked a few on a night out and went back smoking a few every day since. So starting today all over again:D Keep up ur doing great

It's soooo easy to get back on the evil fags - this is my seventh (but final) effort, so I know myself how easy to have one or a few and then end up back at square zero. And there's that great old line from Mark Twain "Giving up smoking is easy - I've done it thousands of times". So well done for starting over again today, good luck, we'll keep in touch!

• Advertisement

Hi all ye,re all doing brilliant. Today is day 1 again for me. What a right fecking eejet I am, had one evil fag on nite out. Then had a few everyday since, which ended up me smoking around 15 a day.:mad:

If i dont try again to give up I know i will be back to my 40 a day habit. :D I have found the first week is the easiest.

So back to Day 1 again

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    Hi all

Will catch up with all the postings the weekend
    Have been busy for the past two weeks and have not been posting.

48 days off the fags today mainly ease free thanks to Champex , your postings and a little willpower on my part.

Have been reading some of the comments re side effects from Champex.
    All I can say is that fortunately I was one of the lucky ones and suffered no
    side effects at all . However, if I had endured the side effects of what some of you went through I would have stopped immediately.
    I have found them a great help in that I have been able to become smoke free relativly easy and now and only think of cigarettes now and again. However I am always on my guard as I know how easy it is to go back on them.

Will power is not my strongest point . but I really am determined to stay off them.. I know the pitfalls from previous efforts - 15 months in 2009 , I have identified the triggers , stress, Excitement , Sadness Association and I am trying to develop coping strategies for these situations / emotions .

I keep saying to myself that as long as I don't light or take a puff of another cigarette I will be a non smoker. If I do give in I will be a smoker but will still have to deal with the situation or emotions that occur in life and will be back to square one again.

I haven't drank since I gave up on Jan 1st but drink is not my problem its my nicotine addiction . I have always had a strong associaton between drinking and the fag and this has resulted in my going back on them in previous efforts . Will stay clear of that environment until I get stronger and more confident . Have been out with smokers and it doesn't bother me at all in fact I feel relieved not to be smoking.

I am able to run 10 km now and go walking daily , take more care of my appearance and my skin is radiant since I quit . Not over eating as in past efforts but eating healthy and drinking loads of water at least 2 pints per day.

Have €410.40 in my kitty for my trip to Canada in July for my efforts

Hello to all who quit me and glad to know you are all doing so well .

Welcome to all the newcomers and well done in making the decision to quit Believe me when I say if I can quit anyone can . I have been smoking 35 years approx 20 per day mostly at night - thanks to( Micheal Martin )and chain smoked all my life.- often 40 a day Would sell my soul for them at one stage and drive miles to the next town if the shops in my hometown were closed . Have missed trains and buses due to stopping on route to buy my fix even though I knew I would be late. Even walked back into town in the snow before Christmas to buy more whenI I realised that I had dropped the supply I had bought earlier on. Left a roaring fire to venture out on roads where a cat wouldn't walk to buy my fix. Sheer and utter madness and evidence of how an intelligent human being can let cigarettes contol their life.

So stick with it and don't wait 35 years to quit- so many years wasted on a filthy dangerous addiction tha has left me soul destroyed , unhealthy and totally demoralised because my addiction to nictotine was greater than my desire to quit . Until last Dec I decided I had enough of this dreary existance and started the new year as a non smoker and it feels so good. One day at a time every smoke free day is a good day for me .

Well done Shinshin Congrats, keep going :o

Molly, Don't be too disheartened and get back on that horse! You will start again with even more determination. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Well done everyone. Still here and feeling that I'm actually doing something right. I'm into day 60 now. Weekends are a little more challenging than other times as I spend them with a smoker and I find myself eating when I shouldn't, but I can soon stop that and substitute for sipping water (or wine and beer?) The main thing is that I don't smoke anymore. It feels so liberating. Whenever I feel a little temptation, I remind myself of why I am doing this and how restrictive it was for me to smoke - not to mention the smell and the fear factor that every sore throat was going to be something sinister. I don't feel restless anymore and have set my mind free from thinking that smoking relieves boredom. I've come too far now. I don't want to let myself down.

AS

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alliejane

well done to all, I am now in month ten and doing v well had constant cough at night when decided to give up cough was gone a week later!!, was unbelieveably hard at first but once you get a week or two under your belt it gets easier, distraction was the key for me, breaking your usual routine e.g cig and cuppa after dinner, cig on way to work etc, replace with some thing else like square or two of choc(leave bar in the fridge or all will go in one sitting which is not good) and Nice take away coffee on way to work, yep you might put on a few pounds but you can loose them again, you cant repair damage to your health and you will b amazed with money you will save I have booked teeth whitening with my dentist as a treat, and will be booking a holl once I get to 12mths all paid for by my savings on ciggs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bling72

hi all,

This is my first evening posting on boards and i was searching for a quit smoking thread! glad i found one..
    anyhow i quit smoking after 20 years, im 38 and really wanted to give them up. its been 16 days so far and today was absolute torture but i survived it..im eating everything in the fridge which is not good but i will discipline myself next week on eating (hopefully)! best of luck to everyone who has quit and trying to quit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

bling72 wrote: »
    hi all,

This is my first evening posting on boards and i was searching for a quit smoking thread! glad i found one..
    anyhow i quit smoking after 20 years, im 38 and really wanted to give them up. its been 16 days so far and today was absolute torture but i survived it..im eating everything in the fridge which is not good but i will discipline myself next week on eating (hopefully)! best of luck to everyone who has quit and trying to quit..

good luck bling72 im 21 days now i used champix to quit.this is my 3rd time quitting!! try and avoid alcohol for the next while it was always my stumbling block and made me go back on them! best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bling72

thanks beano345, im on champix too...its definitley helping. if i got through today tommorrow should be a breeze! well done you by the way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

thanks beano345, im on champix too...its definitley helping. if i got through today tommorrow should be a breeze! well done you by the way! :)

its a miracle drug! before i tried everything patches inhalers chewing the nicotine into me ha ha none of them worked. just take a day a day at a time and try to busy yourself bet you feel great already;)

Hi Beano345, Bling72 and alliejane,

Well done on your huge achievements.

I am on day 56 today (8 weeks off the evils at about 9 tonight). Am a Champix person too, but stopped taking it a few weeks ago - now going it alone! Eating lots too, but figure I can lose it before summer! ;) If I can stay off the fags I don't really mind eating a lot temporarily. I don't really have great cravings any more. Occasionally when I see someone smoking I do, including my husband who is still puffing away.

I think it's well worth the initial pain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cazzie_5

I'm 29 days of them now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Off cigarettes 64 days today !!!

Just feeling proud of myself today:D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Without them 8 weeks, 6 days, 13 hours, 20 minutes and a few secs, saved 541 Euro since I quit, did not smoke 1251 cigarettes, and love my i-Phone for reminding me every time I need it. It is absolutely amazing how your health improves by the day, astonishing.

As hard as ever but feel like I'm gonna kick it this time for good. Missus is doing the same.

Best of luck everybody, hang in there, it's so worth it.

Biglad wrote: »
    Without them 8 weeks, 6 days, 13 hours, 20 minutes and a few secs, saved 541 Euro since I quit, did not smoke 1251 cigarettes, and love my i-Phone for reminding me every time I need it. It is absolutely amazing how your health improves by the day, astonishing.

As hard as ever but feel like I'm gonna kick it this time for good. Missus is doing the same.

Best of luck everybody, hang in there, it's so worth it.

Who's counting eh ?
    Well done you - good idea to save the cigs money too - just shows what a waste of money smoking is - apart from all the many other negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cazzie_5

hi all,

Hi bling72,I'm another champix convert, i started them at the end of January and kicked the cigs into touch on the 8th day,my husband is now on his 2nd cig free day.The money is being put away in a tub, that's my new addiction now, I love to see the money build up.
    We have a holiday booked for Septmember thanks to what we are saving.

I honestly never thought I would see the day that my other half would pack the cigs in.

Good luck to you and to the others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

On day 3 here, so far so good. I've been using patches and the cravings are getting less each day. Day 1 I could feel the craving from my throat to the pit of my stomach!
    The weekend will be the real test I think, as I've been working since I quit so will have to find something to fill my time.

Stick with it there - believe me it does get easier each day.
    Try to find something to do to distract yourself when you have urge or craving - go for a walk, wash the floor, phone someone, drink a glass of water - anything basically - go for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

I've now (after a couple of false starts) been off them since the 13th February. I've replaced the morning smoke in the car with a big mug of perculator coffee, and the rest I haven't had much problem with, bar the odd craving here and there. Here's to staying smoke free!

(Still have no money though?! WTF???!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Waking up to day 4 off them...yesterday was really tough and I nearly buckled but somehow came through it. Am using nicquitin lozenges to help. Later tonight I'm out for a couple of beers and expect some serious cravings then. Hoping this time to beat them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 alliejane

got the teeth whitening plates this week as my reward for being off ciggs, simon cowel pearly whites here I come!!!

Advertisement