Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

I had mine cleaned already and am planning to have them whitened at my dentists. It's a nice treat, but also a smoking deterrent cos you don't want to spoil your pearly whites! I was always ashamed of my teeth as a smoker. I didn't realise how white they were under all that nicotine staining!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Hi all

Glad to know that you are doing so well and hats off to the lot of ye.

Especially those of ye on cold turkey are brilliant - I chose the easy route with champix - having tried everything over the years.

Have been through a difficult period ( not smoking ) related these past few months and have not been posting since Feb although I have been reading your posts .

Thankfully I have not reverted to my usual pattern when under stress by reaching for my old crutch . Having read all the coping mechanisms on how to resist the triggers that in the past left me gagging for a smoke - for the first time in my smoking life I actually accepted and absorved the information in my mind.

During these past few months it never seriously entered my head that smoking would reduce the stress in my life and help me to resolve the problem.
    Right now I don't have the solutions but I do know that smoking will not help and is simply not an option for me . If I decide to smoke again I know that it would be the worst decision I could make in my life.
    I do not want to smoke again having smoked for 35 years .

My health has improved greatly. Having been on prescribed medicine for the past year for my stomach my doctor has taken me off it as a trial period as recent tests showed all is well. I am fitter, look better and proud of myself in what I have achieved to date.

However I cannot get complacent and recognise that I will always be vulnerable with regards to cigarettes as I am addicted to nicotine. I know how easy its been in the past to act on impulse where all rational thinking disappeared and the next puff felt like manna Then reality came crashing in but it was too late as I was back in the trap again.

Finishing off the champix in two weeks and down to one a day. For me they were an enormous help and took the pain out of quitting. They allowed me to focus on my smoking addiction and how to deal with it - without the doubts creeping as to whether I would succeed or not.

So keep it up everyone especially the newcomers. Summer is coming and won't it be great to enjoy it without cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

Hey everyone

Well just popped back to see how everyone was doing, Congrats Susan - Molly, keep going, first 6 weeks are treacherous as you get a false sense on confidence (Having one will be fine) We have all had that one at some stage in a previous quit! You will do it though

I am still off them, 80 days now, woohoo, definitely feel much better and hopefully will not look back now but will always be on alert. Seen on another site -NOPE - Not One Puff Ever

I am an addict! :)

Talk to you all soon

80 days, 19 hours, 41 minutes and 26 seconds smoke free.

1616 cigarettes not smoked.</B>
    €692.55 and 12 days, 8 hours of your life saved.
    Your quit date: 1/2/2011 12:00:00 PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bling72

hi everyone,

how are you all doing? its 5 weeks and 3 days for me now..cravings are subsiding but god are my hormones all over the place. im still fierce cranky :mad:

Just want to say very well done to you all..you are all doing fantastic :)

how do you add a thank you on the bottom of someones else's post by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

bling72 wrote: »
    hi everyone,

how are you all doing? its 5 weeks and 3 days for me now..cravings are subsiding but god are my hormones all over the place. im still fierce cranky :mad:

Just want to say very well done to you all..you are all doing fantastic :)

how do you add a thank you on the bottom of someones else's post by the way?

Just reached the 4 week mark myself. :D The cravings generally aren't too bad, but can be extremely tough when they hit. Its really encouraging to hear from you all tho'.

Bling, to thank a post just click on the thumbs up icon in the bottom right corner of a post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Eight weeks today. Not the easiest thing I've ever done, but easier than I feared it would be. $795 (~EURO400) in the pocket, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Somebody please tell me it gets easier than this!

Day 20 and while some days are ok, some days (like today) are so very very hard. The craving is so strong today I can literally taste it.

I have to admit there are times when I question whether it's worth it, that it would be so much easier to just go and buy smokes and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

It does get easier! i just kept telling myself not to pick up the first one!! that one is the one that starts the whole thing off again...

You're doing great.. 20 days is brilliant!! try and distract yourself if your head is wrecked! I'm off them a year next month and it's the best thing i ever did!! I took champix and read Allan Carr's book, i really wanted to make sure i did it this time and it worked... just hang in there... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fairlyfiery

Hey guys I'm day 8 off the smokes. I did only smoke about 5 roll up's a day. I did smoke 20 malbro lights until I moved and had no job so went on the roll ups. They helped me cut down big time!!
    I have smoked for 12 years (OMG :eek: ) and I swore I would never let them get the better of me. I have tried to quit numerous times! I read Allen Carr's book 3 times....never worked on me.
    Last week I woke up with a really bad sore throat and I found it painful to breath never mind swallow so smoking was a big no no!! I decided after day 2 of not smoking I would continue. Sore throat lasted for the week so it did help. Yesterday was quiet tough. I was close to giving in but somehow this time, my stubborness seems to be driving me on. I am so proud of myself so far as I have never gone longer 2 days. I am also doing it cold turkey. I just hope I stay strong. I am afraid to go out and drink alcohol!! I am already organising a few different fitness things at the weekend. It's a great time of year to quit too.... I have more energy and when I feel pangs I just go for a run and get my heart pumping for natural reasons and not panicing for a cig reason...i think it helps and then you feel AMAZING AND PROUD. One day at a time..........
    Best of luck and well done to all....keep it up !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Lynfo wrote: »
    Somebody please tell me it gets easier than this!

Day 20 and while some days are ok, some days (like today) are so very very hard. The craving is so strong today I can literally taste it.

I have to admit there are times when I question whether it's worth it, that it would be so much easier to just go and buy smokes and be done with it.
    Hopefully you have hit the 21 day mark, don't give in now as you have the worst days over you. It will get easier, just get through it day by day. I quit over 22 mths ago and I remember well thinking I would never be able to do it, but I did. It is the best thing I have ever done. You will do it too, and your life will become so easy when you don't have to smoke. As time passes your cravings will become less n less. Then one day you will have reached evening without even thinking of a cig all day, that was pure magic for me as I had puffed for the previous 35 yrs. Once you realise than even when you smoke there are many times every day that one craves for a cig. Thats what kept me off them as I kept in mind if I can stay off them for long enough, eventually I will never crave cigs again. When that time arrives its so worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

So I became a non smoker on Saturday 26th of march 2011.

Day 4 -
    Money saved - 35e
    Cigarettes not smoked - 80
    Feel - Great

Yesterday was a killer tho.

Hi,

How's everyone doing?

Day 80 today. Never thought I'd see it! Have a stressful presentation on wed next - that should be interesting from the ciggie point of view:eek:

Welcome newbies - you are all doing great. The awful cravings and doubting your decision to quit / ability to stay quit etc. etc are all part of the nasty addiction. It does get easier - a LOT easier. I don't remember even thinking about a cigarette today.

Keep it up guys. It's really worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Great to see people giving up the fags.

6 years off them and counting. Manky habit but I have to say I did love them when I smoked.

I had given them up previously many times, but never lasted that long, but used the nicotine patches last time around as I had a mental block about getting over the first 3.5 days which apparently is how long the physical addiction takes to pass.

I still like the smell of someone smoking, but I hope I never smoke again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

HI all

21 Days and counting for me today

I did not wanted to post on here to soon, as I did not wanted to jinx it

Just taking it one day at a time

I am eating more, but, once i hit the 1 month mark, I will worry about that.

Smoked 20 a day, biggest improvement I can see so far is , waking up in the morning, dont have that taste in my mouth as before,

Hit 13 weeks today - exactly 3 months at 9PM tonight. :) Took the day off work. Treated myself to a massage and some Mac makeup in BTs. Then spent the rest of the day gardening (and undoing the benefits of the massage!). Not for everyone I know, but perfect for me. And will have a nice glass of red tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Follow the Plan

Had 4 or 5 smokes there a few weeks ago while I was out drinking, first time I'd smoked since Jan 3. I was v sick that night and morning after. (I blamed the cigs not the drink!!) Funnily enough I had been missing the smokes before that but I haven't been thinking about them since. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Best of Luck to everyone thats still off them. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I am a non smoker since 6pm yesterday. Did the allen carr clinic and am feeling really positive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Still going strong and if anything - going stronger :-)

I set myself two dates early in my quit to focus on. Day 100 and 1000 euro saved from not buying cigs.

The first goal was achieved last Wednesday and the next goal will be achieved in two weeks time.

I spent the last week abroad on holidays surrounded by smokers and this actually only reinforced my decision to stop. best of luck to everyone else - it gets easier to ignore the nico-monster inside you and you realise that you do have a choice - my choice is not to smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

I quit five years ago after a bout of flu that left me very poorly for 10days and not in the least interested in food or fags...I just didn't start again. I carried a pack of 19 Major around with me for a couple of weeks and resisted;)..I think I might make it this time!

Best of luck to all giving it up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

well, I had to quit in January (had pneumonia and had no choice really) but I though, since I have to stop for a while I might as well stop all together. So I did, I had a slip up in March (1 cigarette while on a night out) but it was a kind of good slip up. Found out that cigarettes don't taste as nice any more.
    Even though it doesn't stop me wanting to smoke it really helps.
    As we speak I feel like having 20 fags :) but I hang strong!!!!
    It doesn't help the OH still smokes but he is also on his way to quitting, to be honest, I can't wait because then a lot of the temptation will be gone.
    Well you guys hang in there!
    Gi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just found out I'm pregnant so have to quit. Finding the cravings hard and am nearly hoping for morning sicknesss so I don't feel like smoking! Have given up before for a few months or weeks at a time but this time I really have somebody else to think about so hopefully that will make it easier. A bit hard in work because I haven't told anybody I'm preggers yet so they don't really take my 'nah, I've given up' seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bling72

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Just reached the 4 week mark myself. :D The cravings generally aren't too bad, but can be extremely tough when they hit. Its really encouraging to hear from you all tho'.

Bling, to thank a post just click on the thumbs up icon in the bottom right corner of a post.

JBnaglar,
    i dont see any thumb symbols on the right hand corner of any of the posts on the thread? (maybe its just me!) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bonjovigirl

Hi all, you are all doing sooo great. Wish I was there now. Am still at the thinking-about-it-stage......:confused:.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I'm at the think about it stage too. Have been there quite a while now:( Just cant seem to take the plunge. I read this thread with envy and wish I could be posting about how well I'm doing. But I'm a coward and much too soft on myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

i quit over two years ago and have never looked back. its fantastic to be rid of them. I just decided quietly to myself one day when i was walking into work. that very same night i caved and smoked SEVEN in a row. the next morning i was distraught - what if i was one of those people who couldn't quit? it was a real wake-up call. I went out every single night that week and watched my friends smoke through gritted teeth. then within ten days, the cravings were just... gone. Entirely gone. I have no inclination to smoke now, well maybe the very occasional (i could count them on one hand) fleeting desire to nonchalently light one up but as i said, its fleeting.

Best of luck to everyone. Once you crack it, you're free. And banish those thoughts that people bandy about like "oh you never stop wanting them" or "once a smoker, always a smoker".

It doesnt have to be that way.

Hi Bonjovigirl and Shazanne,

When you are ready, we are here to support you. We have all been exactly where you are now. It can be done!:)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Day 5! Feeling good.... I am looking forward to feeling like a non-smoker but the it'll take time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Yes - well done to all. Keep going, it is really worth it.

I am on day 104 - was feeling almost smug until I started to like the smell of smoke again. I find myself breathing in when near a smoker. Is this the beginning of the end of my wonderful smoke free existence? I have been told that the 'three month mark' is one of the danger zones. Can anyone tell me how long this will last and if there are any other horrid surprises for me to get through?

So far I've been good. Maybe I need to read the Allen Carr book again to reaffirm why I am not smoking?

annascott wrote: »
    Yes - well done to all. Keep going, it is really worth it.

I am on day 104 - was feeling almost smug until I started to like the smell of smoke again. I find myself breathing in when near a smoker. Is this the beginning of the end of my wonderful smoke free existence? I have been told that the 'three month mark' is one of the danger zones. Can anyone tell me how long this will last and if there are any other horrid surprises for me to get through?

So far I've been good. Maybe I need to read the Allen Carr book again to reaffirm why I am not smoking?

Hi Anna,
    I feel exactly the way you do. It will be day 100 on sunday and I have had cravings stronger than ever over the past week. And to top it off, I had my smoking dream again last night! I dreamt I got up and smoked half a cigarette before I remembered I didn't smoke anymore. And all I could think of in the dream was 'will I fess up on Boards.ie':D!

Am cross with myself this morning for needing them so bad that I dreamt about them. I presume people get over this and it gets easier again????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Hi Susan
    I haven't actually dreamed about smoking. That would be quite unsettling. I mainly get cravings at weekends when I stay with a friend. I think it is because I always associated the place with cigs, booze and relaxation. In reality, the cravings only last for about ten seconds and I know it is psychological. Stay strong. Don't give in, even if they are the stuff that dreams are made of (sorry, couldn't resist!:D) The thing that is keeping me sane at the moment is that I have spoken to other ex smokers who all say that if you smoke after such a long break from them, the cigarette will taste like the first one that you ever had. Remember the disgusting taste in your mouth, like you just licked a dirty ashtray? Also apart from the instant coughing and feeling physically sick, you will become light headed and really dizzy. Something to do with reduced oxygen levels... Basically, what we crave - the illusion of relaxation and fulfillment no longer exists for us anymore. Add to all this the feeling that you will have really let yourself down and after such an amazing achievement, have to go back through the early nicotine withdrawals all over again...
    Hope this helps. (Now I will take my own advice and face the weekend)
    AS

Advertisement