Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Wow Susan, 6 months is great, well done.

I'm on day 12 of cold turkey and it's getting easier with each passing day. This is my 4th attempt so hopefully I will have learned all the pitfalls and be able to ignore the mind tricks that happened all the other times. I've decided to give up drinking for a while too as that was the main reason I went back the other times. What's a few months out of a lifetime in order to be off the feckin things?! This time around I'm feeling a lot stronger about it too and I'm more determined to suceed.

Am finding the whyquit website very good, especially the article on dopamine and the way nicotine works and there are some very inspiring articles there too. That and fox's glacier mints!

Apples are great too :) good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Day 7 cold turkey and going crazy. I can do this! :o

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Day 7 cold turkey and going crazy. I can do this! :o

You totally can. You've one of the worst bits over you now.

Just take it one day at a time and don't forget to save your cig money to treat yourself down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Day 3 of quitting here. Have never really tried before but know that I want to quit. So far so good. I suppose its all really down to wanting to stop. Anyway heres to hoping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Quit in the last week of August 2006 after 20 a day for the previous 20 years or so, so nearly 5 years off now.

Personally I havent come close to a relapse at all - ive posted in other threads about the importance of getting the head in the right place etc. There is no great mystery - it can be done.

Anyway, best of luck to all you attempting to quit. I check in about this forum once in a while and post about this time every year to mark another year on the wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

I'm on day 3 off the fags. I'm 43, female and smoking since I was 16, 20 a day, more at weekends. My husband smokes 40 a day and he is now unemployed so I simply can';t afford the habit. Gave them up once before for 2 weeks, that's the best I have done. It;s cold turkey with me,can't afford fancy ways but I'mdoing ok, just the odd craving, nothing bad, day 2 was worst for me. I just look at my children and ask myself what keeps them happy, how come they are well happy without smoking, they have a fulfilled life. didn't I too when I was young. I want to be like them again. Wow it's hard, I've a pain in my jaw from chewing gum, eating crisps and mre than ever sucking lovely lollipops, they are a real lifesaver. My husband is still smoking away constantly,not helping, in fact asking me to smoke again, join him in little ritual I suppose. I feel good and know I can do this but I'm going away for a weekend in 2 weeks time with my family of smokers and as far as I'm concerned the only way of enjoying this great weekend is by smoking myself silly in their company, will have great craic, sing song etc, give them up again when I get home, stupid isn't it, but that's all thats in my mind right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

maude6868 wrote: »
    I'm on day 3 off the fags. I'm 43, female and smoking since I was 16, 20 a day, more at weekends. My husband smokes 40 a day and he is now unemployed so I simply can';t afford the habit. Gave them up once before for 2 weeks, that's the best I have done. It;s cold turkey with me,can't afford fancy ways but I'mdoing ok, just the odd craving, nothing bad, day 2 was worst for me. I just look at my children and ask myself what keeps them happy, how come they are well happy without smoking, they have a fulfilled life. didn't I too when I was young. I want to be like them again. Wow it's hard, I've a pain in my jaw from chewing gum, eating crisps and mre than ever sucking lovely lollipops, they are a real lifesaver. My husband is still smoking away constantly,not helping, in fact asking me to smoke again, join him in little ritual I suppose. I feel good and know I can do this but I'm going away for a weekend in 2 weeks time with my family of smokers and as far as I'm concerned the only way of enjoying this great weekend is by smoking myself silly in their company, will have great craic, sing song etc, give them up again when I get home, stupid isn't it, but that's all thats in my mind right now

poor you - its so so hard but you're doing all the right things - it very hard to quit when your OH is still smoking! I quit on the 30th April, havent had any slip ups at all but I'm going on holiday tomorrow - its going to be a huge test! Husband quit with me and hes had a few slip ups. I just know hes going to buy a packet when we're away and I'll be sooo tempted but I am determined to stay strong! I'll let you all know whow I get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 majicalo

maude6868
    Don't smoke when you're away for the weekend! Don't go if you think you'll end up smoking! You'll be surprised at how many of your family will be saying how great you are not to be smoking. And don't believe the hype about how difficult it is to give them up! Giving up smoking is an inside job - if you make your mind up to stop then you'll stop! I stopped 12 years ago and have witnessed far too many people dying from cancer to ever want to smoke again. I'd tried hundreds of times but I hadn't really made my own mind up about giving them up. Once I made that decision I never had to smoke again. You'll feel so much better for not letting a stick of nicotine beat you! Now when I see people smoking I think it looks really silly and stupid to see grown-ups putting cigarettes into their mouths and dragging on them. Take a good luck at smokers and see how wacky it looks!
    Don't take the first cigarette and you won't smoke again! Keep up the good work.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

1 year and two months now.

all thanks to electric smokes which I used for two months.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

day 4

but this forum has made we want to smoke more then sitting with friend on saturday afternoon, drinking coffee watching her smoke 40 cigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Day 7 nearly over. So far so good. Its not been to bad so far. The odd craving now and again or the thought that ill have a smoke now. Have not gone to the pub yet though which will be the big test although feeling good so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    1 year and two months now.

all thanks to electric smokes which I used for two months.

Any harm to ask which e-cig you used and what juice you used if it was one of the ones that juice is used with? (God, that sentence is written so badly!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyHolland

Hey everyone little background info:

26 and smoking since 14. Never gone longer than two days without a fag since around 16 which is scandalous.

I have watched friends who were fairly heavy smokers give up and stay that way, and I've watched one or two falter as well.

My girlfriend in one of these perpetual I'll smoke one fag once or twice a week, and then constantly talk about giving up!! Maybe she smoked more years before she met me, but it really bugs me when people who barely smoke complain about "giving up" when, a person like me is flying through rollie after rollie at every given opportunity, damaging their lungs tenfold.

Somebody said to me yesterday "I think you'll be a smoker the rest of your life!!" I laughed it off but it really hit home. I've had my lungs checked twice and I've developed a night time wheeze from so much rolling tobacco over the years.

My good friend of 53 who has been a smoker for 35 years, still his better lungs than me after getting his lung functioning tests back..... rollies for 35 years!!! and i'm 26!! Damn

So if anyone else is giving up around now, I like to share the battle with you!! I don't want to have COPD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Day 1 for me! Again...

I am 29, 30 in a month eek! But really want to be a non-smoker by then. Have been smoking 20 a day I think since I was 13'ish.

I gave up last year (as some on here might know...), twice, once from April to June then again from Oct to end of Dec, been smoking again since.

This time I know I can do it, as my other 2 times showed me I can do it with no problem and quit forever and get my health back and save a load of money too.
    My OH has given up today too but I just got a txt saying he had one, I told him not to worry about it and just continue on as a non-smoker. I will see how he is getting on later this evening, hope he doesnt break again! As both of us are broke we really cant afford it at the end of the day.

I read on here (pages ago now) that someone was going to start yoga, I think this would be a good thing for me to start at home too, beginner classes online are everywhere really for free, something to look into. Will start looking into other things to keep me healthy too, not too pushed on jogging must say...

I am using NiQuitin Mini Lozenges (only had one so far) and Extra chewing gum to help, with loads of water too.

Best of luck everyone who happens to be at the start of the journey too, and congrats to EVERYONE on here since Jan the 1st!!!!!!

Day two! went to the pub this afternoon and read the newspaper out back, just to see if it would torment the crap out of me being around other smokers!!

Was actually grand, my sense of smell is so sharp now it's weird!! God I forget that I hate the smell of fags. Here's to being my own therapeutic agent!

Cycled 5 miles home from the city, my poor freaking lungs aren't ready to thank me just yet!

Maybe in a few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I'm off them 10 years now and it was one of the hardest things I ever did, harder even than quitting alcohol which I did 3 months ago so I have great sympathy with those still stuck in the trap, trying to build up the courage to take the plunge.

To those who have managed to quit, well done - you will NEVER, EVER regret it. 10 years on and I'm STILL patting myself on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

I agree Hubba -well done you too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Well done to anyone who has quit.I found it easy to give them up,though ocasionally i still crave the rush i got from the first cigarette of the day or a fag after a train journey or a flight.Ihave smoked in hospitals,airport toilets and pub toilets.I gave them up following a brain haemorrhage which probably made it easy for me.It was easy because i was in and out of real concousness for a few weeks and by then the nicotine effects had probably left my system.During my recovery period i kept telling myself i would reap the benefits of being clean winded and my performance in the bedroom would improve no end.Sadly it was not to be,i am still as bad as ever in that dept but i feel much better in every other aspect of my life and i will not smoke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Two weeks today :D
    Very proud of myself! Not as hard as I thought it would be tbh but still a really tough thing to do! So after nearly 4 years I now consider myself a non-smoker :)

Woke up the Wednesday morning and decided out of the blue I wanted to give up, gave up Wednesday night after smoking what I had left. Friends funeral was on the Saturday so I had a few then but now I'm officially 2 weeks smoke free! Never felt better! :)

Just over 3 months for me, not sure of the exaxt date which is great as it means I'm not obsessing over it.

I still think about smoking sometimes but will never do it again.

Feel great, have lost weight and look younger.

Also have saved myself a ****-load of money around 700 beans or so.

I can walk and walk and never get embarassingly wheezey.

The house smells nice, as does my car/clothes/hair etc :)

Oh and my teeth are a good few shades whiter.

Well done everyone on here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

mud wrote: »
    Just over 3 months for me, not sure of the exaxt date which is great as it means I'm not obsessing over it.

I still think about smoking sometimes but will never do it again.

Feel great, have lost weight and look younger.

Also have saved myself a ****-load of money around 700 beans or so.

I can walk and walk and never get embarassingly wheezey.

The house smells nice, as does my car/clothes/hair etc :)

Oh and my teeth are a good few shades whiter.

Well done everyone on here :)

Well done Mud. Same as myself. Off them 3 months now. The teeth and skin and breathing become so much better, eh?

I was doing great, really great - jogging 3 times a week (got my jogging up to 30 minutes without stopping, which I haven't done since I was 14).

Recently, I did my back in somehow, which has put a halt to the jogging and I can only go for walks. So the past few weeks I've been taken out of my routine, resting, weight started to slowly go on, patience tested and I've thought about smoking. Yet there is still that little angel on my shoulder who makes me imagine the thought of lighting up a nasty, gross pointless fag and puffing away.

I can't do it again. Not for another decade.

That's what we all need to remember when we quit. If we smoke again, it's not just one fag, it's another potential decade of your life spent being a smoker.

15 days off now thank god!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Coming up to the 8 month mark. Still miss them occasionally, but have got used to not smoking. Joined the gym and getting fit after years of no activity!:)

Well done to all who have quit or are trying to.

I meant to check back in after my holiday in Fuerteventura - was away for the week and didnt smoke once - I almost cracked - hubbie bought a pack on the first night and i asked for one - he refused to give it to me and stole my purse so I couldnt buy any myself!!

After that I was fine - I didnt even feel all that tempted after that and was out in restaurants and bars every night. I dont feel that I missed out on anything! So proud - it'll be four months now at the end of August.

I meant to check back in after my holiday in Fuerteventura - was away for the week and didnt smoke once - I almost cracked - hubbie bought a pack on the first night and i asked for one - he refused to give it to me and stole my purse so I couldnt buy any myself!!

After that I was fine - I didnt even feel all that tempted after that and was out in restaurants and bars every night. I dont feel that I missed out on anything! So proud - it'll be four months now at the end of August.

I salute you o/ well done, you have cracked it! Yaaaaaay :):):):):):):):)

Cheers Mud - think Iw as tempted the first night cos I was tried and cranky - so glad I didnt do it! Have starting jogging now as well - cant believe how much better I feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 finally_free

day 4 almost coming to an end here now. i found yesterday the cravings peaked and have eased off slightly today. this is the best forum ever! i think it will really help because you all seem to support each other :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

keep it up finally free. you are doing great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 finally_free

thanks denman :) did you give up aswel?

• Advertisement

Hi finally_free,

I gave up a good few months ago now. It's a great feeling. I can't imagine ever smoking again, it's disgusting!

I get a bit wobbly when I'm very pissed but really, am in no danger of smoking even then as I have finally learned what a god-awful habit it is. The closest I get to smoking is standing down-wind of someone who's smoking and then remembering how disgusting it is!

You have the hardest physical part behind you. Now you just need to focus on the psychological part which will also get easier and easier as you go on.

Take stock of all the positive things . . . the extra money, the whiter teeth, the fitness level rising, the return of the sense of taste and smell. These things make it so worth it.

Post here all you want, there will usually be someone around to read and post and give a hand if needed. :)

Advertisement