Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 finally_free

thanks mud thats some good advice :) well done on being off them for so long its great! i actually managed 6 months last year and was doing really well but just one was all it took for me to be hooked again. i wont be making that mistake again. i already feel great and cant wait to get to the point where i dont even think about smoking for a whole day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

thanks denman :) did you give up aswel?

i sure did. went cold turkey on them. i had two cigarettes on Christmas eve last and haven't look back since. my fitness has really improved and also my sense of smell. keep up the great work. :)

DenMan wrote: »
    i sure did. went cold turkey on them. i had two cigarettes on Christmas eve last and haven't look back since. my fitness has really improved and also my sense of smell. keep up the great work. :)
    aw thats great go you! :) hopefully ill hold it together and be saying the same as you soon!! i just hope the withdrawl symptoms go away soon its sooo hard at night :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

aw thats great go you! :) hopefully ill hold it together and be saying the same as you soon!! i just hope the withdrawl symptoms go away soon its sooo hard at night :mad:

You've got through a good few nights already, that's a great achievement. Take it one day at a time right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

New to this part of the forum but pretty sure I'll be visiting again. Off them about 6 days now. Watched the Alan Carr dvd last week. However I had previously read his book and found it easy to stop smoking, the only problem was 6 months later when I went back on them. This time I'm finding it harder I don't really have the epihany you should have with Alan Carr. It's kind of like a bit of the willpower and a bit of the Alan Carr method, which makes no sense. But I'm hoping that maybe this means it'll be more long term stopping. Am I deluding myself? Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

4 weeks for me on Saturday, I used a nicorette inhaler for the first week or so and using an eCigarette since then. That's worked well so far, only I'm using it a lot which isn't doing anything for breaking the hand to mouth habit if you know what I mean. On the plus side, I've had maybe one moment in the last 2 weeks where I've wanted one, and that was just for a split second.

I've my first real night out with other smokers since stopping this Friday, which could be a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

4th time on the horse here, have done a year off them in one stint, and still wonder why I went back.

This time around, I'm three days in, which is coincidentally when the nicotine cravings peak. I'm doing okay though, had a bitch of a craving yesterday, but aside from that, it's crap, but it's manageable crap.

The mistakes I made in the past were both in the same self delusional vein, firstly that I could become a social smoker, and limit it to "weekends". Of course this became an excuse to slip down to the local on Wednesdays. And sure 'twould be shame to leave that box in the drawer, seeing as I bought it anyway. Secondly, that I could limit myself to a cigar on special occasions. Yeah. You can guess that it wasn't long until I was sucking on about fifteen cafe creme a day :/

So, no more of either for me. Pity in one sense because I always enjoyed my smoke, but not what it will ultimately do to me-not to mind what it costs!

Oh by the way, wifey is coming along for the ride too, it's an added incentive for both of us, as the (we reckon) €160 a week we're burning, is going into a jar instead of staying in the bank. Madness, that's a mortgage for a lot of people when you break it down!

Anywho, so far so good. I'll drop in to see how you're all doing, and hopefully to bore you with the knowledge that I'm still on the wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Ah it's great to see more people joining the thread. Well done guys. It's lovely to not smoke. We're missing nothing!

I banked 250 euro the other day out of my not smoking jar. Nowhere near the full amount of the jar but enough to put a decent amount of oil in the tank :)

best of luck RM.
    The mistakes I made in the past were both in the same self delusional vein, firstly that I could become a social smoker, and limit it to "weekends". Of course this became an excuse to slip down to the local on Wednesdays.

That was my downfall as well last time - down the pub after lunch on a Saturday just so I could smoke because I was drinking.

My problem isn't so much the first few weeks - it's a couple of months down the road when the buzz of having given up has worn off a little.

Cheers Eoin.

@mud: I'm hoping my jar will get a cruel death around christmas, maybe we'll go off somewhere for a few days, in the knowledge that the fags "paid" for it. Working it out, there'll be over a grand and a half in there by then!

That was the rock I perished on as well, by the way. As I say, I did a fecking year off them. Sadly, so did my mother, with various crutches such as gum and inhalers-and what did she do? Went back on 'em a couple of months back :(

It has to be said that the mental cravings are the most incessant, they fade with time, and it gets easier, but you do get a slap in the back of the head when you least expect it, when something triggers a gra for a smoke.

I did it once, about six months in, took a drag in a smoking area just to "prove" that they were horrible things and I wouldn't go back.

I put down some night after that- I didn't smoke, not for months after, but it was a stupid thing to do. Please don't try it thinking it's a good idea guys :)
    Eoin wrote: »
    best of luck RM.

That was my downfall as well last time - down the pub after lunch on a Saturday just so I could smoke because I was drinking.

My problem isn't so much the first few weeks - it's a couple of months down the road when the buzz of having given up has worn off a little.

• Advertisement

Well guys, how we all doing?

Going good here, so far!

Going good here, so far!

Nice one! Going grand here. I have days and almost weeks where I don't think about smoking.

Still gagging at the smell of them. It's all good :)

Going good here, so far!

Good here too - I survived my first night out on Friday, and it wasn't all that bad. I thought it would be far harder.

best of luck RM.

this is my problem aswel. i do be going great and then all of a sudden after months of being free i get the most almighty craving ever! im more prepared for it this time although yesterday, just two weeks in, i got a very strong craving out of the blue. i won't lie, i was in my parents house and i had to go to the bathroom and cry. please tell me this phase will stop. or is it the case that every so often, for the rest of your life, you get these kind cravings trying to trick you? :rolleyes:

My cousin is 4 years off them, and still struggles on a night out! That would worry me because I know from experience that I don't have the will power for it to be a once off if I smoke while out at night. I think it would actually take less will power to not have that smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

Hey All

Great thread, thanks for all the honesty and encouragement, it really does help.

Day 4 here and feeling in a foul mood today :o could pretty much kill anyone at the moment! But keep trying to tell myself got this far, just keep going, one day at a time and all that.

Good luck and wishing all my fellow non smokers :) a happy day xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I am off them about 4 years some days I walk into a house and the smell of stale cigarettes sickens me I can hardly stand it. More days when I get the smell of smoke I would eat the ash tray

I am off them about 4 years some days I walk into a house and the smell of stale cigarettes sickens me I can hardly stand it. More days when I get the smell of smoke I would eat the ash tray

I never liked the smell of stale smoke, but the smell of a burning cigarette is a challenge.

I'm still using my eCig an awful lot, which isn't ideal. I think the next step is to get liquid for it with much less nicotine in and see how that goes.
    annash wrote: »
    Day 4 here and feeling in a foul mood today :o could pretty much kill anyone at the moment! But keep trying to tell myself got this far, just keep going, one day at a time and all that.

Hang on in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyHolland

A month a 3 days off 'em. Going back to work and University next week; should be a bit of a test, and I'm still coughing up nasty crap. At least I'm saving a few sponds so I can take the gf out and pay off my registration fees and loan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

2 weeks of them today, my sleep has improved so much for some strange reason

• Advertisement

orangebud wrote: »
    2 weeks of them today, my sleep has improved so much for some strange reason

Oh me too. Is it something to do with improved breathing do you think?

Being able to breathe deeply instead of shallow breaths maybe?

I dunno, but I love it!

A question for those who are off the fags a good while . . . when did you start/finish coughing up crap? I'm off them a good 4 months and this week I'm noticing more crap being coughed up (sorry tmi I know!)

Thought it would have all cleared by now, but the more I think of it, I haven't coughed much up at all and maybe this is the start of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'll reach the 72 hour mark within the next hour!

I bought an eCigarette, eGo XL, and it has been so easy.
    It's not ideal (there's a lot of nicotine in the liquid) as Eoin said, but if I didn't have this then I wouldn't have stopped smoking!

FunkZ wrote: »
    I'll reach the 72 hour mark within the next hour!

I bought an eCigarette, eGo XL, and it has been so easy.
    It's not ideal (there's a lot of nicotine in the liquid) as Eoin said, but if I didn't have this then I wouldn't have stopped smoking!

Remember that you can get weaker (and zero strength) stuff too, for when you feel like weaning yourself off nicotine.

Hey there, how's it all going?

Yesterday for me was mad and horrid, really, really wanted a cig, for the first time, rather than "just something". Was raging in the morning then sobbing in the afternoon, but never caved :)

Day 5 done and dusted now and didn't even have that first craving of the morning with my coffee. Early days and all, but feeling way better. Went out today and spent my first 50 quid from the money I would have spent on the cigs, so that was really great!

How's everyone else doing???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Remember that you can get weaker (and zero strength) stuff too, for when you feel like weaning yourself off nicotine.

Cheers for the advice! My plan is to get 11MG eLiquid when I've used up all my 18MG. Then after that I'll mix 11MG with 0MG, half and half. And work the mixtures down from there :)
    annash wrote: »
    Day 5 done and dusted

Congrats, keep it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

FunkZ wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice! My plan is to get 11MG eLiquid when I've used up all my 18MG. Then after that I'll mix 11MG with 0MG, half and half. And work the mixtures down from there :)

Congrats, keep it up :D

Is there a thread on here that you recommend for advice on switching over to the e-cig? One that just gives basic advice and discusses ordinary issues - like who does it make me feel so thirsty!!!
    I have my e-Go ready to go and really want it to work. I am going on holiday next week and want to start when I get back and then totally scrap the fags.

There's a whole forum dedicated to it, with lots of advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Almost 3 years off them after 20 years of smoking 20-25 a day. First 3 months were seriously hard going (cold turkey), and all truth be told so was the first year.

Have to say now, and I never thought I get here, but cigarettes don't enter my head from one day to the next. I feel completely free of them. My social circle only contains a couple of smokers and when out with them I feel like I might be missing something when they're off out smoking, but when they come back in with the stink off them I know what I'm not missing!

Cigarettes are bad bad things, and taking up smoking was the single biggest most stupid thing I ever did.

Hey, one whole week :D

Had a really bad day on day 4, but other than that, still quite often feel like I want "something" rather than a cigarette, but luckily I seem to steer my cravings to fruit, have lost a couple of pounds into the bargain!!

Must confess, when I came down this morning and had my coffee, was glad not to be going outside for my morning cigarette with it chucking it down and all, felt quite smug actually ;)

FunkZ, how you going, we are about in the same time frame?

Hope everybody else going OK? Have a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

am off them 6 /7 weeks now and it is getting harder :(

Advertisement