Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Follow the Plan

Keep it up everyone.

I'm off them since 3 Jan myself with only a few social smokes. Going well

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

irishbird wrote: »
    am off them 6 /7 weeks now and it is getting harder :(

Keep going, it would be such a shame not to - you have come so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 In_My_Tree

Off them 8 days, have been using snus though so I feel like I'm sort of cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

In_My_Tree wrote: »
    Off them 8 days, have been using snus though so I feel like I'm sort of cheating.

What's snus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Snuff, according to the first result on google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Read Allen Carr's book tonight, gonna give it a go! Heavy smoker/drinker so its gonna be hard. GL to anyone else trying to cut them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Edit: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Day one for me and half way through Alan Carr book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done everyone out there at the early stages of giving up. It's the hardest thing I've done! It's just so easy to have one more and if you've managed to stay away from them you are doing so well.

It is so tough at the start but it does ease with time guys so congrats on every day and hour you've managed so far :)

Keep it up:)

6 weeks today I think, and finding it a little tough at times; probably more so than the last few weeks. The thought of the smell afterwards is keeping me off them. Nowhere near as bad as the first two weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Off them a week tomorrow after 22 years of smoking 25-30 cigarettes a day. First 3 days were HELL!!! Not just for me but for the whole family. Temper was severe to say the least. But then day 4 comes and it's like WOW! Much more calm, much more optimistic, much less restlessness.

One big difference I notice is that I've gone from a someone who struggles to get out of bed at 7.30 alarm each morning to now being awake before 6am each morning. Will that continue I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Scotty # wrote: »
    One big difference I notice is that I've gone from a someone who struggles to get out of bed at 7.30 alarm each morning to now being awake before 6am each morning. Will that continue I wonder?
    Yes! Tho it eventually will catch up with you. My sleep patterns were screwy for the first 3-6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Am off them 45 days now (about €335 saved).

Sometimes it has been difficult but as has been said before, the smell keeps me off them.

This is the longest I've ever quit (never lasted more than two days before). I smoked for 8 years and used herbals to help stop smoking

So, how's everybody doing?

Been off them now 16 days :) Last couple of days though been really hard, feeling very agitated and nervous, but still plodding along!

Hope everybody doing ok? Keep up the good work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Day sixteen for myself too!

Though I am vaping, but it MUST be a lot better than 25 Carrolls everyday!

I had my first night out on Friday since stopping, and I found it easy. Delighted :P

I think today is 7 weeks for me. I'm not craving cigarettes particularly, but the thought of one is still appealing! Still using my eCigarette a lot, but have reduced the strength of the nicotine. At a wedding on Thursday, which won't be easy as a few of the gang smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Hope the wedding went well Eoin!

Today is the end of third week, I couldn't have done it without my Ecigarette!

And thanks to Derra for the advice when I first started, twas a great help :pac:

FunkZ wrote: »

And thanks to Derra for the advice when I first started, twas a great help :pac:

Found it very hard last night, as my eCig battery died and I lost my backup one. Still, managed to avoid smoking, so all good. Think Sunday will be 8 weeks off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

FunkZ wrote: »

I am due to start next week! Have the e-cig ready to go. What flavour/strength do you all recommend?? This has to work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Shazanne - there's a Vaping subforum where you can find lots of recommendations and reviews of liquids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

annash wrote: »
    So, how's everybody doing?

Been off them now 16 days :) Last couple of days though been really hard, feeling very agitated and nervous, but still plodding along!

Hope everybody doing ok? Keep up the good work ;)

Plodding along! Literally the most perfect expression I can think of.

But am worried because don't want to "plod along" all my life.

I stopped because I want to join the army, so that is keeping me going. Still am genuinely happy to have stopped. And feel very lucky that this time around was easier than most. So I won't spoil it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Into my 5th month, still have the odd thought but haven't been seriously tempted. I just picture my heart and lungs covered in a cloud of smoke and that's enough to send the craving packing!

Am going to visit a friend that I used to smoke the bollix out of it with in December so as soon as my tickets are booked I'm going to tell him that I am no longer down with that. Should be interesting but hopefully not an issue :)

Stay strong peeps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great stuff everyone. It's fantastic to see how well you are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Hi dollie. Long time no see - how are things? You still hanging in there?

Hiya, day 24 today, glad to say the agitation has died down now - so more skipping than plodding these days :D (that one especially for you The Agogo!).

Was at the school last week with my son for some meeting about leaving cert & all the cool kids marched in after sneaking out for their fags - Man, the smell off them! I cannot believe that I used to smell like that, seems insane in retrospect :rolleyes:

Funkz how you doing - 3 weeks & counting, who'd have thought it, eh? Eoin, congrats on your 8 weeks today!

Hope everyone else doing well & happy Sunday to all you happy, happy non-smokers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

annash wrote: »
    Man, the smell off them! I cannot believe that I used to smell like that, seems insane in retrospect :rolleyes:
    Off them 3 weeks tomorrow and my sense of smell has returned too. Brought the kids to the play centre yesterday (one of the things I can do without a second thought now with the money I'm saving) and was in the cafe with the other half when I suddenly got this woeful pong as another couple came in and sat down. I said it to the Mrs (non smoker) and she said that is the lovely aroma of smoke and perfume mixed. Yuck Yuck Yuck!

I wondered did the woman have any idea what she smells like to non smokers??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alliejane

well done to all, off them 15 mths now, still get the odd dodgy moment,but keep going:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Had a couple of fairly strong urges today myself actually. Went nuts cleaning the house and just really wanted a smoke. I didn't have one and I suppose was never really in danger of having one but just thought it was funny getting the urge out of the blue like that.

I had the pleasure of finding a couple of more ash-trays etc which I happily put in the bin . . . even found some old lighters and an empty box under the bed :o ah well, they have also been disposed of now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

Everybody is doing great. Keep up the fantastic work guys. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint so best of luck. Think of the long term benefits you will get from removing cigarettes from your life. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hay it,s 3 weeks for me as well :D when I sell my old bike the new 1 I buy is in for some serious hills I can tell you.

Advertisement