Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 HybridHumour

Day 11 today and it feels like I'm finally starting to come to terms with it. The cravings have eased off in both strength and frequency, which is serious relief...

Still, nowhere near out of the woods yet...but making progress!!

BTW: Mac's Quitlog should be compulsory reading for all ex-smokers during the initial few days of stopping - the man is a legend! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

crappy couple of days here and really, seriously thinking about having a cig. Almost took one out of the pack just to sniff it :rolleyes: I don't know, just about 4 weeks now, but first four were way easier than last couple of days. I read on one of these forums, someone saying about the thrill of giving up was fading, kind of thing, and I am so getting that!

Hope all you guys are doing well? wishing you a good weekend x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Off them since last Monday, going cold turkey. Hastnt been as bad as previous attempts. I really am just sick of smoking, no enjoyment anymore from it. Very early days yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

Gave them up years before a triple-by-pass open heart operation. Nine years ago.

Was a very heavy smoker, smoking the strongest tobacco available, always untipped.

After just three days off them knew I had won!

I was happy before I smoked at 14 why couldn't I be happy again without them? I am..now approaching 70 years young. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Still haven't strayed, but I have been avoiding nights out and I'm still using my eCigarette an awful lot. I'm on lower strength nicotine juice, but I'm conscious that I've only really changed my habit rather than stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

8 days off them now. Doing fine, not tempted at all to smoke (going cold turkey). I have been having lots of nightmares and panic attacks at night though. I used to have panic attacks as a kid (although ive only recently realised what they where), its strange to be having them again. Hopefully it wont last too long. Cant wait for the morning that i wake up and not feel like a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

Bloody hell, 5 weeks yesterday and still feeling it.

Twice in the last couple of days have said, " will just have a smoke and then will do ....". Thought it was supposed to get easier not harder.

Would love to sneak out for a ciggie just now, but won't ( I don't think)! These are supposed to be my "Halcyon Days", aren't they??

How's the rest of you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Giving up again here, off them since 11.30am yesterday (thurs 121011).

Have read Alan Carrs book a millions times but always break at some stage when out for a drink.

This time I listened to the audio cd version a few times and also got the nico patches to help as I really need it, feel as if I have no willpower and the patches help a little with this.

I am giving up mainly due to money problems first, health second. Just can not afford it at all, €70 a week is way to much to be going out on my small wage. I have a goal in my mind to get away for a weekend in Nov to Manchester or something with the partner. Helps!

I am in terrible form today, I never tend to be in bad form, so no one in work really knows how to react to me lol. I'm just doing a lot of deep breaths. Also, in work I have a lot of music that I have never gotten round to listenin to yet so for the afternoon while I work away I will have all this music on to help time go by. New DJ Shadow, pretty sweet! :D

I am a little worried for this Sat night as am going out for a meal and drinks for my 30th, eek :rolleyes:, friends know I am off them, just hope they all dont leave me alone in the pub as the night goes on lol.

Anyway this is a mess post, best of look to everyone, you are all doing so well with all your progress! Congratulations guys!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Keep it going guys. It's a tough ride and it gets easier and worse as time goes on.

I quit smoking 5 months before my 40th. I feel your pain and know what a challenge your 30th will be. Hang in there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Do ya know what? It's not that hard to not smoke when you don't want to. I am beers into oblivion and apart from 1 or 2 thoughts early on I don't give 2 ****s that I didn't smoke tonight.

Just sayin' it's not a necessity.

Love yiz all :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi Mud (and everyone else),

Well done for not caving. It's the only time I really think about them now is when in a pub or at a social. 9 months off the nasties now, without even a puff.:D It can be done! (and that's after 30 years of 20 a day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yay! Great to read that everyone is doing so well. I think I've been tested in most situations at this stage - pre flights, post flights, boredom, work breaks, stressful situations and drunken social events. All just make one's will stronger when you get through it!

5 monthes off them this week :D <<<<< And look, whiter teeth too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

36 hours.

No cravings, but was very restless and irritable last night. Cold sweats too. Tonight will be tough too, i'm hoping the restlessness and irritability wears off in the next few days.

Threw out my pouch of tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Seven weeks and checking in.

Actually I'll make a confession, I had one, two weeks ago, in the early hours of the morning, with a lot of drink on board (after being asked three times by the people with me, all smoking away merrily, if I was sure).

I didn't have a second, but still don't know why I took the risk. I was fine, but I could equally have gone out on Saturday and bought a packet.

Aside from that, it's all good, the cravings are, in all honestly, minimal and getting less-bar a spike midweek after I had the one. Maybe that was physical, maybe mental, I don't know, but it confirms that little experimental, silly lapses are Not A Good Idea.

Keep it going folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Off them about 5 months, not entirely sure how long. Think been not sure of the date is due to the fact I haven't given up nicotine, been using the NiQuitin Mini mints the since then so I guess it's been easier to not put a timeframe on things. Helps that I don't know when my last one was.

I'd recommend the Mini's to anyone that's really struggling, they are quite effective tbh. Shame I'm pretty much addicted to them now but it's far healthier and saves me about €28 directly a week and realistically about €60 due to removing trips the bank machine or shop the whole time.

Good work to those still off and hope if works out for those who are trying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Not had one for 4 days. No patches or stupid electronic fags this time. Going cold turkey !

Mind over rotten tar sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Wimbago wrote: »
    Off them about 5 months, not entirely sure how long. Think been not sure of the date is due to the fact I haven't given up nicotine, been using the NiQuitin Mini mints the since then so I guess it's been easier to not put a timeframe on things. Helps that I don't know when my last one was.

I'd recommend the Mini's to anyone that's really struggling, they are quite effective tbh. Shame I'm pretty much addicted to them now but it's far healthier and saves me about €28 directly a week and realistically about €60 due to removing trips the bank machine or shop the whole time.

Good work to those still off and hope if works out for those who are trying again.

Great advice there Wim... When I gave up last year 2010 summer, I found Allen Carr's audio book and the NiQuitin Mini mints helped a lot.
    I only used the Mini's when I went out for a drink over the 3 months I was off them, only took like 2 or 3 each time, were a great help for me!
    My mate who gave up at the same time as me is still off the cigs BUT is still using the Tabs every day, he knows he is addicted to them 14 months later, but looks at it the same way, he only spends €20 a week rather than €70 a week now.

Sadly I was back on the smokes last christmas and regret having that smoke.
    But I keep trying to quit. Trying Allen Carr again for the past few months but its not really working on me anymore as I know the book inside out by now, so going to give Paul McKenna's book/CD a go next and please, god willing an all that, I will never smoke again. Sick of them, but miss them too. I'm sure everyone understands that here.

Will try again and best of luck to everyone on here! Doing great you all are! And if not, best of luck giving up for good again! Nothing to loose!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Hi all, I'm off them 3 days and 23 hours and apparently have saved myself €15! I have bought the inhaler but don't actually use the cartridges in it I just use it to have something in my hand! I have noticed however a few chewed up pen tops around my desk :) I'm getting there, out tonight, it'll be the first time I've been in the company of cigs since I started this! Wish me luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

Best of luck LostGirly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Uuuuggggh I smoked! Just 1 but still I'm so annoyed! It was Saturday evening! Dammit!! If I hadn't I'd be off them a week! FML...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Alzy

LostGirly wrote: »
    Uuuuggggh I smoked! Just 1 but still I'm so annoyed! It was Saturday evening! Dammit!! If I hadn't I'd be off them a week! FML...

that's no harm. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just keep going. Well done so far :)

Saturday was 3 months for me. I was out with a load of smokers, but didn't even feel tempted once (though I did go out with them and use my eCiggy). Really feeling the difference when I'm playing sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭DenMan

LostGirly wrote: »

Don't feel bad. To err is to be human :) You almost made a week. That's a great achievement. Next time aim for the week and get it right the second time round. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 DazlerDee

I will be off them two years in Jan, this will be my third attempt, just keep thinking of what you are gaining, your health, more money in your pocket, your missing out on nothing. I wish you all the best peoples, I know that I will never touch a cig ever again for the rest of my life, I made a promise to myself.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

DazlerDee wrote: »
    I will be off them two years in Jan,

Me too. Reaching two weeks was a struggle. 2 Months was a major achievement. 2 years? Unthinkable in Jan 2010 :) Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

10 years off them on Budget day. Like a demon for 2 whole years, not a nice experience at all but am all the better for it now. Try to give up before the herd, if you get to x-mas and still off them then you will feel a great sense of achievement at New Years being 3 weeks ahead of everyone else who tries. Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 HybridHumour

from cigarettes...!

I can't believe I've made it this far and though I know I'm not out of the woods yet, I can report that things have become way more manageable on the cravings front.

At this point, the only dodgy times I have are in the pub with friends who smoke and for this my e-cig is a total lifesaver - it's actually the only time I ever use it!

Very happy to have made it this far! Keep it up everyone - IT GETS EASIER!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

46 weeks, and 3 hours ago I gave up smoking after many attempts. I had been smoking since I was 16.

I weighed 17 stone in May, started running, now weighing 14st6, never felt better!!

Do it people, it is so worth it.

Well done - you should change your username now though!

Think this Saturday will be 17 weeks now. Have had a good few nights out and it's not been a big deal at all. Still using my eCig a lot though; no changes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

32 days since I gave up and def not going back. Can feel much fitter running and in the gym classes and the hangover's are so much better!!!

It's great to read over some of the previous posts cos it keep you strong

Advertisement