Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Just realised that I'm off them six months exactly today! :)
    (Thank you Allen Carr seminar)

However, I have to admit that I'm having a bad time fag-wise as of late. I'm stuck at home on strong meds with a trapped back nerve, and can't go jogging or walking so I'm getting a bit out of shape - I feel like I'm just sitting around eating and sleeping, bored and fidgety. Tempted once or twice to buy a pack due to boredom/habit/ feeling crap about myself, if that makes sense but I'm not going to. The taste and smell still makes me wretch thinking about it, which is a good thing I suppose. Can't WAIT until I can work out again, the difference it has is unreal. Gah!

Also, I've been sitting in rooms with smokers a bit recently, maybe that has something to do with my increased anxiety. I heard that you can still inhale nicotine through passive smoking. I don't know how potent it is, but I'm going to try and avoid being in smoky rooms as much as possible over the next while, see if there's an improvement in my anxiety levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

yesterday was a month of them and was out drinking on saturday and still managed to give the smokes the middle finger, no looking back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Day 5 for me here using patches.

Feeling good today, was out for a drink friday night, didnt think of smoking but think this is due to being with a non smoker but still!

Sat (day3) was kinda hard but got through it no problem.

In work today, feel great, getting loads of work done! Work mate just walked past me after her smoke break and the smell off of her is making me feel a little ill, strange feeling.

One thing though, my chest feels like I am still smoking and finding it hard to cough up/clear out. Hope this doesn't last much longer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Here we go.

Day 0

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

Lapin wrote: »
    Here we go.

Day 0

Best of luck Lapin!

After 3 weeks and 4 days I broke! I can't believe it! I smoked on Friday and Saturday night when I was out and had a few on Sunday! I've started again since Monday morning! I'm so so frustrated and annoyed and cross with myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hard luck, hopefully next time works out better.

LostGirly wrote: »
    Best of luck Lapin!

After 3 weeks and 4 days I broke! I can't believe it! I smoked on Friday and Saturday night when I was out and had a few on Sunday! I've started again since Monday morning! I'm so so frustrated and annoyed and cross with myself.

I know the feeling, but don't be so hard on yourself. Just count the weekend as a minor blip. And rather than say you're starting all over again since Monday, simply tell yourself you are now off them for three weeks and 5 days apart from a little break. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rabid50

Rabid50

Day 24 just started and I am still suffering insomnia from the patches. I use Nicobate minis too but the cravings are getting less. I do not avoid smoking areas and no coffee is not more noticeable. Thank you everyone for restarting the quit smoking thread. Best of luck to all, especially those just starting. The cravings are less now though sneaky and at times really strong. A girlfriend loaned me a stack of TV serial DVD's last Wednesday and I am up to episode 23 already and waiting for the next batch. It is called Brothers and Sisters and is sooo fast moving I don't crave cigarettes at all. Not really gone on the programs on TV now though. Well keep going and don't give in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cassia

Hi everyone. I am on day 3 and while I thought I was going to stand and scream or cry earlier it has passed again. Using lozenges and have tried so many times this year it is getting embarrassing. The longest I have managed is 6 weeks but normally it is around 1 week to 10 days. Any advice on how I can make this time the last time I quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

orangebud wrote: »
    2 weeks of them today, my sleep has improved so much for some strange reason

that was 12-09-2011 & im still of them best thing i ever did

still smoking the odd bong but no tobacco :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hi all. Hope you all made it through Christmas as happy non-smokers :)

I did, it was remarkably easy. I am delighted with myself.

I have a fairly nasty chesty special but at least I haven't been smoking down on top of it like I've done with pretty much every chest infection I've had from my teens on!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all Hope every body is doing well.
    Hope everybody enjoyed there Christmas.

It is great u all kept the thread going:)
    O I am still smoking fool me.
    My quit date is the 1 st Jan again. Going to give it another go.
    O the thoughts of it :(
    wonder how all my buddy's from last year are doing,
    Have a great day everbody.
    Molly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 francismary

anybody else starting today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

got xmas over me and didnt give in! had loads of parties and nights out etc. now off them 8 months! really think i've beaten them this time! so chuffed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

molly77 wrote: »
    Hi all Hope every body is doing well.
    Hope everybody enjoyed there Christmas.

It is great u all kept the thread going:)
    O I am still smoking fool me.
    My quit date is the 1 st Jan again. Going to give it another go.
    O the thoughts of it :(
    wonder how all my buddy's from last year are doing,
    Have a great day everbody.
    Molly
    Hey Molly!

Thanks in part to your thread I am off the fags almost a year now. Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Best of luck to everyone who stopped today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 drunky monkey

anybody else starting today?

me :D i started ! was not a new year resolution though ! too hungover to smoke on the 1st ! stopped to think about it on the 2nd and decided i will give it ago ! i had never really thought about stopping before ! 26 smoking since 14 ! BUT i feel so happy with myself ( well besides the cravings and i cant take my mind off smokes and smoking and the taste.. ha ) day 3 today !! back in work was the hardest but hour by hour i would not let myself go for a smoke ! i just stopped and thought about it ! i.e the money i will save my health and how proud of myself i will be ! basiclly i am determined to do my best but my god its hard ha !! hopefully when i wake up in the morning and say day 4 no smoking ill be happy with myself !! day by day :D good luck to anyone else quitting !

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

So after a few failed attempts in the past, I am trying to quit again. I smoke about 15-20 a day and started foolishly 14 years ago when I was 19. I hate them so much now that I am angry the hold they have over my life. Day 1 was ok. Got a few cravings but using the gum for now to kill them. Back to work tomorrow so will be a new challenge. I feel my sinuses clearing already - part of the reason I am quitting as sinuses have been killing me on and off the last few years now. Good luck to anyone who is trying for 2012. Keep the faith.

December was my first full month without a smoke in 18 years !

It feels good. Don't really miss them at all.

Especially since I heard they topped the €9 mark earlier this week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

day 3 of champix-my stop day will be saturday--am ecited and nervous--been smoking 20 for over 25 years now-sick of the expense and the potential health issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

So Christmas wasn't great!

But I'm back off them again and determined to stay off them! No more of this odd cig when I'm out, cold turkey for me this time!

Best of luck to everyone! We're doing the right thing I just know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

spider77 wrote: »
    I feel my sinuses clearing already - part of the reason I am quitting as sinuses have been killing me on and off the last few years now.

Day 4 for me and my sinuses feel a lot better as well. Wasnt something I even associated, Ive nasal polyps, but other non smoking family members have them too so never really thought about it in relation to smoking, just assumed my sinuses bothered me from time to time cos of the polyps - looks like the smoking contributed!!!
    locater7 wrote: »
    my stop day will be saturday--am ecited and nervous--been smoking 20 for over 25 years now-sick of the expense and the potential health issues

Best of luck on Saturday, speaking from my experience of last Sunday, when Saturday comes you will be so relieved that instead of thinking about it and dreading it that the time has come and youre actually doing it, its a LOT easier making that start on it than you think - the dread is worse!!

Had a good swim this morning, really helped burning off nervous energy I think. Just had a walk/jog there, also helped, am sucking on the fishermans friends like a good thing though!!

I have always been quite cardio active despite being a smoker so will be interested to see if my activities feel different due to my respiratory system not being smothered numerous times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

I quit happily on christmas day, came back to work yesterday and straight into 2 hour meeting which culminated in heading out to shop for fags...........dissappointing to say the least. Ive always known work would be the death of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Haven't smoked since mid October, basically swapped cigarettes for Twix and Moro bars for a few months ! The waistline has expanded but I will address that in Jan, i think you have to give yourself a bit of a break in that respect. A few extra pounds can always be addressed in the gym !

minotour wrote: »
    Ive always known work would be the death of me.

I have my own situations which Im fearing but have come up with plans to survive them!! But I think you need to change your mindset, dont think 'work will be the death of me', think 'works gonna be hard but im gonna be strong'.
    Get prepared with whatever you need to help you not smoke in work.

And most of all - consider yesterday a slip - stop again right now, youve been off them since xmas!!! Dont waste all that effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 drunky monkey

DAY FOUR :D ah i am extremely irritable and moody but whats new ha! mouth is watery taste seems better :) generally very happy with myself ! its the longest i have ever gone ! think at this stage its about reminding myself why i want to quit and stick to it ! cravings are in my head I DO NOT NEED A SMOKE !! is what ive been shouting to myself all day ! dreading seeing my friends for a bitch and a cuppa maybe best to avoid them for a week ha avoid temptation ! best of luck everyone !! mind over matter :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noboc

Day 4 for me as well.Going better than i thought,Even yest evening i didnt think once About cig,My wallet actually has money in it.Both myself and hubby SMOKED and we reckon about 25euro between us we just to spend a day.so since sunday we have saved 100 euro.that is some money we smoked beenhonest.I was same as you drunky monkey,was fraid tomeet up with friends as they all smoke,but 2day i said I would rather get it over and done with,was not half as bad as i thought.Hubby bit cranky allright 2daybut we knewthat was goingto happen,I think we all have to think of the future,20 years time we will be all so happy we gave them up,keep up the great work ,it will be so WORTH it inthe end,as they say ur health is your wealth any by giving up smoking we shall have both,

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Today was my first anniversary. Of the fags for 1 year now and absolutely totally loving it!! Tomorrow my wife will have her first anniversary as well!!

Hard, yes it is, we had many failed attempts. In the end reading and re-reading Alan Car helped me. A total change in life style helped as well. I was 17 stone (6ft4") when I stopped in January and started putting on some more weight. I started running in May, weigh in at just over 14 stone at the moment and feel better than I've ever done and I run 4 times a week at least, whatever the weather :-)

All I can say is keep going people, it is so worth it!! We are/were slaves to those horrible things and nobody needs them, nobody.

Take it day by day and week by week and before you know it you are free.

I wish all you quitters the very best for 2012!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Hi newbies,

Just dropping by to say that I am almost 9 months a non-smoker.

It is honestly one of the greatest things I've ever done.

I hope that you will all achieve what you hope to achieve.

The first three days are the worst. After that it's just breaking the habit. After twenty one days the habit is broken and hey presto! The non-smoking habit is formed :)

Take it one breath at a time. I found water/apples/walks helped me loads.

I now have no problem hanging out in the smoking area with friends, doesn't even cross my mind to smoke. To be honest, if it does enter my head it's in an "I can't believe I used to do that, it's rotten" kind of way.

I'm 32. I smoked since I was 15 or so. A lot. Now I don't and life is good. More money, healthier, skin is way nicer, breath and teeth are way nicer. Being alive is way nicer :)

Best of luck! Remember, the craving DOESN'T last. Deep breaths and they will pass. They always pass :)

• Advertisement

Thank you mud and Biglad, I love both of those posts - they give a lot of positive hope!!

I have had a good day 4 with little or no cravings. I exercised 3 different times today (this is normal for me), and the exercise REALLY helps with taking your mind off the fags. I usually feel guilty after I exercise and then smoke, but today I was proud afterwards!

I wasnt snacking at all today either, but I did drink a lot of water and had a few fishermans friends.

Im hoping to get a good nights sleep tonight, its really been a good day, much easier than I could have hoped (especially after yesterday!!).

I havent noticed any improvement in smell or taste yet, nor do I feel any different in terms of the respiratory system, although my sinuses do feel clearer than usual. My appetite seems normal, my sleep pattern is ok (seems to be taking a while to drop off but once I do I sleep well, mind you could be disruption of xmas season has the sleep a little off).

Hope everyone else is doing ok, Day 5 awaits me and Im feeling strong! Im so looking forward to the end of Day 7 - a week will feel like a real milestone!

I think something Ive learned from this is that its a lot like a lot of hard things in life, you just gotta pass time and as the time passes, it gets easier.

Advertisement