Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

Off them 1 year today. Don't miss them at all but find I'm chewing alot of gum. Best thing ever and going to use the savings towards a new motor this week. Put the money in a sealed jar and guess how much I have ? A whopping €3652

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

digit1 wrote: »
    Off them 1 year today. Don't miss them at all but find I'm chewing alot of gum. Best thing ever and going to use the savings towards a new motor this week. Put the money in a sealed jar and guess how much I have ? A whopping €3652

Oh my god!

Its amazing to think that you quite literally would have just put a match to all that money!!

Oh my god!

Its amazing to think that you quite literally would have just put a match to all that money!!

I know. It is such an expensive habit and some of my friends would be even heavier smokers than me so they could save alot more. I have one friend under my wing now for 3 months and so far he has'nt broke out and is also putting the money in a sealed box and he smoked alot more than me. Hopefully he makes it. Its looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 team2

34 days today I think I've cracked it, there are the odd few moments it creeps up and kicks you but that only serves to remind me I've beaten it. I don't want to smoke and every time I see some one light up I think what are you doing this things will kill you!!!

I've only one regret and that's that I didn't do it years ago.

For anyone just starting or for everyone going through big quit stay positive its definitely worth it. Find best way for you and get down to it, if you fall get up and start again.

Check in here every now and again and get some inspiration from some truly inspired and tough individuals.

well done to everyone one day or 10 years it takes a strong individual to make the decision and stick with it you should be proud of yourselves I know I am... :-):-):-):-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

6 days today. Was on nicotine gum for first 2 days but have gone through the weekend with out wanting gum or more importantly a smoke ( how I wasn't climbing the walls looking for one after the football today I don't know)

Have just finished the book this evening and it seems to have done the trick. But one day at a time i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

10 WEEKS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

Feels good to be off them. Went the cold turkey route and while the first few days were hard after a week the cravings were mostly gone.
    I've even managed a few nights out on the beer without one.

My bank balance also looks healthier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

digit1 wrote: »

Don't forget to check your life insurance policies they should come down if you are off the fags 1 yr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

Im off them 2 weeks today and yesterday was the 1st day I had no craving , I was really close to having a cigarette on Saturday night even had one in my mouth and lighter in hand but after a couple of deep breaths I put the fag and lighter away and then yesterday I did not have on craving it was like Saturday night my craving tried to hit me hard and then when I did not cave they give in and let me crave free from the next day ( no craving so far today eitheir )

what I am finding very difficult though is the mouth ulcers I have developed since giving up have them more then a week now and they are really getting me down trying load of over the counter remedies but nothing is working suppose just have to give it time for them to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I quit in Feb 2011, so I am over one year off them.

Used to smoke 20-40 Johnny Blue a day for over 10 years.

I didn't use anything, I promised my wife when we got married that I would quit and I did, Cold Turkey.

I had to get a tonsillectomy, which in my mid twenties was NOT pleasant. I had my last smoke before the operation, I have never smoked since.

Felt really depressing and went a bit mad with my moods for about 6 weeks then it started to get better.

I never crave them or desire them, they actually disgust me. I don't know what I saw in them, I feel like a teenager again since I quit.

Best thing I have ever done for myself. :)

• Advertisement

Great stuff, well done!!

Am in my 5th month off them now, feel the same as you, they disgust me. Took a taxi earlier that reeked of cigarette smoke, felt vaguely sick til I was out of it. Horrible....shudder......the drivers dank wet cough only reassured me I have made the right decision!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭abacus120

Hi everyone,am off the horrible fags nearly 3 weeks,
    Felt good the first two weeks,but am still exhausted some days and my mouth is covered in coldsores and mouth ulcers,there so bad i cant go out,and are really very sore,still not sleeping great,wake up every night about 10 times,
    am hoping this will pass,cause i look like a wreck :)

It will pass abacus, just keep the faith, drink plenty of water, take a vitamin b supplement - great for mouth sores and ulcers and cold sores.

Its just your body expelling the toxins and the anxiety of the quit affecting your immune system. It will all pass and you will feel much better soon.

Gargle with warm salty water, and get some vitamins into you.

Gmol wrote: »
    Don't forget to check your life insurance policies they should come down if you are off the fags 1 yr

Never thought of that. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

abacus120 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,am off the horrible fags nearly 3 weeks,
    Felt good the first two weeks,but am still exhausted some days and my mouth is covered in coldsores and mouth ulcers,there so bad i cant go out,and are really very sore,still not sleeping great,wake up every night about 10 times,
    am hoping this will pass,cause i look like a wreck :)

Off them over 2 weeks now and have mouth ulcers for about a week, I still have them but I have found has helped with pain relief if Corsodyl mouth was and also an antiseptic called anbesol , It sting like hell when you use it but it does give reflief for a couple of hours.

Best of luck as I feel your pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Felexicon

campo wrote: »
    Off them over 2 weeks now and have mouth ulcers for about a week, I still have them but I have found has helped with pain relief if Corsodyl mouth was and also an antiseptic called anbesol , It sting like hell when you use it but it does give reflief for a couple of hours.

Best of luck as I feel your pain
    Try drinking a few cups of green tea a day to help this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Week 15 or something... not entirely sure. :)

Going on holidays on Sunday for 2 weeks and I am so anxious about smoking that I have been dreaming about nothing but smoking!! :eek:
    I have no intention of smoking and thankfully nobody that is going smokes either but I am so worried that it will ruin my holidays!
    Going to take my e-cig with me even though I only used it for the first 5/6 weeks of quitting.

I am very happy about the fact that I don't have stay outside the airport until the last minute before the flight. And I don't have to run when I get off the plane :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know its possibly not much help to anyone but i'll tell my story anyway. I used to smoke approx 20 a day, i had it in my mind to give up but had no time frame in mind, i used to tell myself that i would have to give them up one day and that was as far i got.

One day i was driving to my then GFs house which is approx 40miles away. I lit up leaving my home town and drove approx 5 miles and finished it. I continued on and about 1 mile down the road i reached for the smokes again and took one out and lit it and took a pull. I then thought "what the hell am i doing, i'm only after putting one out less than 5minutes ago, i dont even want a smoke" so i threw it out the window without taking another pull (yes yes i know its littering) Anyway it really bugged me that i was smoking on auto pilot without evening thinking about it and i took the pack of B&H which had about 10 or 12 smokes left in it and scrunched it up and swore that i was never going to smoke again. That was nearly 5 years ago and i have never touched one since.

I now hate the smell of it, i hate walking through the smoking area at work (which i have to as its outside the main entrance at the rear which i use) and i know i'll never smoke again (i couldnt afford it anyway even if i wanted)

I put on roughly 1.5stone in weight which i'm now in the process of getting rid off and i feel so much healthier.

The benefits of giving up far outweigh the short term cravings which should subside within 2 or 3 weeks and it gets considerably easier after that.

I was lucky, i was so sickened at the realisation of the habit i had that if i had cravings i just reminded myself of how i felt that day and the craving went.

Best of luck to everyone trying to give up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Off them a week, I had been off them for 12 years before I was given a bag of very agreeable ganja which put me on the slippery slope. I have to admit, if they were not bad for you I would still be smoking. I enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lelbell

I'm off them 5 months now... was smoking between 20-30 a day for the past 16 years.... was fed up getting chest infections all year round. Even though i'm off them a while, I still get the longing for a smoke... anyone else find that?? and if so does it eventually stop?

Lelbell wrote: »
    I'm off them 5 months now... was smoking between 20-30 a day for the past 16 years.... was fed up getting chest infections all year round. Even though i'm off them a while, I still get the longing for a smoke... anyone else find that?? and if so does it eventually stop?

I was 10+ years smoking 20-40 a day. I felt a longing for them a few times in the first 6 months after stopping but after that it went away

I NEVER want one now, the very thought actually disgusts me. So hang on in there it does get easier!;)

• Advertisement

Thanks that's good to hear! I welcome the day that I never even think about smoking again.... giving up is hard work though

Thanks that's good to hear! I welcome the day that I never even think about smoking again.... giving up is hard work though

It is but it's so worth it! the health, the well being, the confidence, the fact that your not forking out half your income on smokes! You will get there just keep on as your going, don't doubt yourself and don't look back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dmfod

I haven't smoked since Monday because I got tonsillitis and with a raging fever and an awful sore throat I couldn't face smoking and then I thought well I've been off them three days already, which is the worst bit, so I may as well keep going. The fever is wearing off now though and it's getting harder not to smoke!

I started smoking when I was 15 and I'm now 33 so I've been at it a fair while, smoking 10-15 a day during the week and more at weekends since I last went back on them. I've given up for long periods - a year plus - twice before, but I've always ended up slowly going back on them after succumbing to temptation when out drinking. So I'm fairly confident I can cope with the horrible physical withdrawal symptoms - again - but I'm more worried about staying off them long term and having to go through this all over again. If I knew this would definitely be the last time I will have to go through this process, I think it would really help my motivation for now as well.

So, any tips for staying off long term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

3 days off them as well! I'm using the patches and they're brilliant!

Tried cold turkey last week and lasted about 3 hours. I still get cravings but there not too bad with the patches.

@dmfod; Your over the worst, keep going! Do you really want to go through all those withdrawl symptoms again?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CraigSmith

Off a week come midnight, gave up cold turkey at midnight last friday, some bad cough on me the last few days seemingly its the toxins escaping and clearing out my lungs :confused:

dmfod wrote: »
    I haven't smoked since Monday because I got tonsillitis and with a raging fever and an awful sore throat I couldn't face smoking and then I thought well I've been off them three days already, which is the worst bit, so I may as well keep going. The fever is wearing off now though and it's getting harder not to smoke!

I started smoking when I was 15 and I'm now 33 so I've been at it a fair while, smoking 10-15 a day during the week and more at weekends since I last went back on them. I've given up for long periods - a year plus - twice before, but I've always ended up slowly going back on them after succumbing to temptation when out drinking. So I'm fairly confident I can cope with the horrible physical withdrawal symptoms - again - but I'm more worried about staying off them long term and having to go through this all over again. If I knew this would definitely be the last time I will have to go through this process, I think it would really help my motivation for now as well.

So, any tips for staying off long term?

I was like you. Went back on them after 3 years. This time it will be different. The trick is to know that it only takes a drag of a cigarette or a cigar and you are hooked again. Never be tempted by the crazy idea that one smoke won't matter - no matter how much you have had to drink. Don't let a cigarette or cigar touch your lips.
    Am off them 3 months now!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I was like you. Went back on them after 3 years. This time it will be different. The trick is to know that it only takes a drag of a cigarette or a cigar and you are hooked again. Never be tempted by the crazy idea that one smoke won't matter - no matter how much you have had to drink. Don't let a cigarette or cigar touch your lips.
    Am off them 3 months now!

I totally agree with this.

When you give up you MUST make a pledge that you are never going to smoke ever again...in a strange way it takes some pressure off you as it is so difinitive.

If you smoke a single cigarette you are a smoker again so don't kid yourself that you can do it you simply can't. After you make this pledge to yourself its all positivity and really is achievable.

When I first quit I posted here about my worries that it could be so easy to get sucked in again. The responses I got convinced me that I could never ever think of it as 'sure I could just have one' - I cant.

I dont want to either. Im flying tomorrow for the first time since I quit and Im delighted that I dont have to go through the horrible stress of trying to smoke a fag at top speed at the last minute before going through the airport and then just obsessing about when I can have the next one upon landing. Smoking was such a stressful thing to be doing!!

Im nearly 5 months now. I havent lost weight, but I seem to have tightened up loads from more exercise so people keep commenting that Im slimmer even though the scales are the same. I feel so much better in myself. Mentally as well as physically. It was hard to feel good about myself when I kept doing something that I hated every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Hey folks,
    im 5 weeks off them sunday, there has been ups and downs which is normal i suppose, i can go most of a day without even thinking of smoking, but i still feels as if its temporary, when i do think of smoking it seems to last forever,
    very strange feeling, its as if it has gone from lots of small cravings to only a few very strong cravings if that makes sense,

bladebrew wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    im 5 weeks off them sunday, there has been ups and downs which is normal i suppose, i can go most of a day without even thinking of smoking, but i still feels as if its temporary, when i do think of smoking it seems to last forever,
    very strange feeling, its as if it has gone from lots of small cravings to only a few very strong cravings if that makes sense,

Congratulations at 5 weeks you are doing great, the hardest part is over. At 5-6 weeks I was very very irritable and a little depressed. Just keep going and don't even consider smoking again! Your mind is just grieving for them (strange but true) and it will soon pass.

Just remember all these negative feelings are just your mind adjusting to life without cigarettes , one day soon you will wake up and these negative feelings will be gone. Kind of like when you go through a difficult break up, your mind is literally pining for a lost companion, it is horrible for a few months and then one day you just don't care anymore. That's how it was for me with quitting.

You are succeeding in the best thing you have ever done for yourself. Keep it up and keep strong. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm off them 102 days!:DJust checked the calendar now. Can't believe it! I'm delighted and now I rarely think about them.More importantlythough, the idea of smoking disgusts me.
    I've beaten them,I know I have. I don't want to sound cocky but I just know I've kicked it for good this time.It feels different from other times I have tried to quit.Mentally I'm in the right place.
    Keep going everybody, the worst is over after about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Coming up on 10 months for me - by far the longest I've been off them. I've cut the nicotine strength in my eCig way down too.

I'm still dreaming of smoking occasionally though, which is weird. Even in my dream I'm pissed off with myself that I'm smoking, so I suppose that's a positive.

I never got the cough that other people got, but I've noticed a real difference in my fitness all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Colleen353

I'm off them 3 weeks tomorrow 😊. I'm just wondering how long it takes to get to the point where you don't think about or want fags anymore ? In fairness, it has gotten a lot easier in comparison to the first two weeks but I still get the odd very strong craving and find it difficult to stop thinking about them sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it's different for everyone. But my experience is that after the 3 week stage it starts feeling better, as you've started to establish your pattern of not smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Davebudeuk

I went to Hypnotist in Galway called Positive Change and I have been off dem 3years and feeling so good and got fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Davebudeuk wrote: »
    I went to Hypnotist in Galway called Positive Change and I have been off dem 3years and feeling so good and got fit.
    ill be 6 months off them on june 3 by sheer willpower

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Davebudeuk

I went to Hypnotist in Galway Positive Change and I have been off dem 3years and feeling so good and got fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I'm off them now 7months. Just went cold turkey from 40 Benson a day for the last 15 years to none. Wasn't as bad as I though. I still dream about smoking all the time.

Unlike a lot of people who have given up I do not hate smoking now at all. In fact I still love the smell and whenever I am out try to sit close to smokers so I can smell the smoke as they are smoking....weird eh!!

Glad to be finished now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I'm off them now 7months. Just went cold turkey from 40 Benson a day for the last 15 years to none. Wasn't as bad as I though. I still dream about smoking all the time.

Unlike a lot of people who have given up I do not hate smoking now at all. In fact I still love the smell and whenever I am out try to sit close to smokers so I can smell the smoke as they are smoking....weird eh!!

Glad to be finished now though.

I feel the exact same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Colleen353

Ever since I gave up I've been having the craziest dreams ever!! Did anybody else experience this and how long does it last for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

off them since 10 January, was at a outdoor party yesterday and lots of people were smoking so that was really hard. missing them a lot the last few days, think its the nice weather and people are in beer gardens smoking and drinking.. another day down i guess!!! well done everyone that has given them up, its not easy at times!

I know the feeling! I associate summer with being outdoors & smoking... off them 5 months, so it is my first summer without them... ah well i'm still hanging in there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Glad to report that I am now 12 weeks smoke free tonight.
    That is a saving of €820 ( approx).:):)
    No real urge to smoke at this stage but I still loooove the smell of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Ages since I posted here and glad to see the same names because that means ye're all still off the fags. Thank God I'm still in the same boat as I'll be off them 5 months now in a few days.

To those who are in the early stages - seriously keep it going. If there is one thing you can do for your family and friends let this be it. If you have kids remember you'll be able to run around after them and play football with them without having to give up after five minutes. I can safely say its the best decision I ever made in my life. I'm saving money, I'm healthier and I don't have to listen to my kids giving out to me as I light up.

Do not give in to it. You'll be along here in 5 months time giving the same advice to those who are in the early stages. And it feels good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

I know the feeling! I associate summer with being outdoors & smoking... off them 5 months, so it is my first summer without them... ah well i'm still hanging in there :)

well done!!! ah well we're doing great, such a bloody addiction but i wont give in to the evil weed!! :D fingers x anyway!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Been off the cigs for the past 73 days.

Had my first one last night while I was out with friends, it tasted horrible! I had difficulty inhaling it and coughed like mad. Delighted!!! :D

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Been off the cigs for the past 73 days.

Had my first one last night while I was out with friends, it tasted horrible! I had difficulty inhaling it and coughed like mad. Delighted!!! :D

Why were you having one? Was it a moment of weakness or to test yourself?

I dont know how many days I am now, but its since Jan 1 so its over 5 months.

I would never ever test myself - I have failed that test 10 or more times daily for over 20 years - no need to check again.

I have thus far managed to resist all moments of weakness. Tbh Ive only had a few real moments of weakness once I got through the first 3 weeks.

I hope I can stay off them permanently. It would be too easy to go back,it frightens me to think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Why were you having one? Was it a moment of weakness or to test yourself?

I would never ever test myself - I have failed that test 10 or more times daily for over 20 years - no need to check again.

I feel the exact same... maybe this forum has conditioned me to growl when I hear or read someone's post saying they've tried one after x amount of weeks/months off them! :p

I am over 4 months off them. I have just come back from 2 weeks in Spain and I am very proud to say I didn't give in. I was so very worried about going there and smoking - before when on holiday I would sit on the beach and smoke my brains out and I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I took my e-cig with me just incase I was tempted but I am delighted to say that I didn't smoke!!! It too a few days of adjusting believe it or not but no part of me desired a cigarette - it was just something was missing in the first few days untill I established a routine over there without them.:rolleyes:

I understand what people mean when they say they love the smell of them. Funny enough when I smell them after I have had a beer its disgusts me like when you smell it and you have a hangover but sober I think its the nicest smell in the world :o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 laura2011

Just smoked my last cigerette, and really want to quit this time, have made plenty of half arsed attempts previously but i mean business now.

Is anyone else starting from scratch today, i already have a horrible anxious feeling in my stomach :(

im 25 and really very unfit, which i put down to smoking- i couldnt run to the end of the road without nearly dying and this is really beginning to worry me.

Im not brand new anymore Laura (Im more kind of cobwebby and dusty :)), but congratulations!!

Its the best thing you can ever do for yourself! And you are so young, you will be back to healthy fitness in no time!!

The first 3 days are the worst, thats all, after that, youre flying. Do it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement