Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Day 5 for me here using patches.
    Feeling good today, was out for a drink friday night, didnt think of smoking but think this is due to being with a non smoker but still!
    Sat (day3) was kinda hard but got through it no problem.
    In work today, feel great, getting loads of work done! Work mate just walked past me after her smoke break and the smell off of her is making me feel a little ill, strange feeling.
    One thing though, my chest feels like I am still smoking and finding it hard to cough up/clear out. Hope this doesn't last much longer!

So that was me a while ago :(. I lasted 2 weeks but then broke, for whatever reason I cant remember now.
    Stopped again (cold turkey) last week as I woke up with a hangover and a bit of a flu/cold so just didnt want one. My cold got worse in work and buy day 3 I had to finish work early and head home, ugh, on the way home I bought a pack!

So today is day 1, again, for me. I had 3 smokes left this morning, decided to smoke them and have niquitin in my pocket. last smoke was at 12.30 but that doesnt matter what time it was. I am a none smoker now!

Problem is I have way too much time on my hands in the evenings, I play some consoles and watch tv, but bordom creeps in every-so-often, need to battle that head on!
    spider77 wrote: »
    Day 6 down for me almost. The weekend was tough but I managed to go to the pub with another smoker who was also quitting and didn't have one even though they kept talking about 'them'. I am doing the couch to 5 K now just to take my mind off it in the evening. I find driving in the car difficult especially on the longer journey. A big pack of mints seems to do for now and ringing people on handsfree biggrin.gif. I am sleeping fine and have no cough. Great to see the back of the morning choking/coughing and my car smells so much better!! Hope everyone else has a good week ahead.

Can you tell me where I can find out more about this? Whats it all about? Is it easy to start off with? Have seen a few people on here saying its great and gets them out etc...

No it was more of a a joke i have noticed since i quit i am eating breakfast now though. Breakfast before was a cup of tea and 2 fags i usually would not of eaten till 2 or 3 hours after getting up

I am the same. Never have breakfast! Just a pint of cold water before leaving for work, the a smoke on way to work with coffee then a smoke outside work.
    Must change my routine and get back into eating a breakfast.

Thinking I must do a complete overhall of my life bit by bit. Have stopped buying take out coffees last week, stopped smokeing today. Whats next?

Best of luck to everyone!!!

*sorry for the long post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Can I ask, what did you do to fight the cravings on day 2 + 3?

I treated myself like I was sick and had a lemsip on Day 2 (I was actually at the end of a nasty dose so maybe I needed the lemsip :)).
    On Day 3 I went for a swim in the morning, a walk/jog in the afternoon and I did core work in the evening - each bit of exercise helped burn off a bit of the nervousness of the brain.

I drank pints of water like I was a parched person, and I went through nearly a pack of fishersmans friends.

I also ate everything in front of me all day both days. I was a bit concerned about that actually, but by Day 5 I was back to normal eating and not consuming every random item I looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Ugh i want to cry!!
    Im in work with an hour left.
    Im trying to rationslise it. like i could go get a smoke off one of the lads. i could go buy some - i work in a fecking supermarket! But i don't WANT to!!
    My body on the other hand is dying for one :(
    On my 3rd pack of mints so far tonight :(

sarahbro wrote: »
    Ugh i want to cry!!
    Im in work with an hour left.
    Im trying to rationslise it. like i could go get a smoke off one of the lads. i could go buy some - i work in a fecking supermarket! But i don't WANT to!!
    My body on the other hand is dying for one :(
    On my 3rd pack of mints so far tonight :(

Hold it together Sarahbro - youre nearly past Day 1!!!

Dont cry, have a big glass of water and a piece of fruit/gum/mint. Deep breaths and get past this hard bit.

You'll be SOOOO happy if you go home tonight and go to bed without having smoked. Good woman - you can do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Will be seven days off them at 10.37 tonight.But hey I'm not counting. Still getting the odd craving but generally not too bad. Only thing I'm worried about is whether I'll ever consider myself a non-smoker and not think about them as much. I suppose thats down the road.

Seriously Sarahbro take one hour at a time. Honestly it does get easier. Believe me if I can do it anyone can. Its all about breaking the habit. You CAN give them up.

Well done to everyone else. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

I'm in bed.
    I haven't smoked for a whole day!! :)
    Please tell me it gets easier??
    The cravings are so intense!
    I don't want to smoke.
    It's purely physical withdrawl

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Can you tell me where I can find out more about this? Whats it all about? Is it easy to start off with? Have seen a few people on here saying its great and gets them out etc...

Basically its an application you can get on most smartphones now which outlines a program over 10 weeks to get you off the couch to running 5 Km without walking. I am pushing myself to try and do a 10K run this year so at least I have something to aim for and more of a reason to stay off the smokes.

sarahbro wrote: »
    I'm in bed.
    I haven't smoked for a whole day!! :)
    Please tell me it gets easier??
    The cravings are so intense!
    I don't want to smoke.
    It's purely physical withdrawl

Course it gets easier!!

Also, you set up a positive feedback loop where your brain is thinking 'well I managed to stay off them for a whole day yesterday, so no reason I cant do the same today - I KNOW I can do it, I did it yesterday!'.

For me, Days 1-3 were the worst, after that it was grand. So hold strong for battle, youre already 1/3 of the way there and by the time you go to bed tonight you will be more than halfway there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Haven't smoked in a few days so decided to make another go at quitting. This time im giving up smoking Ganj for a couple of months aswell, to give myself a proper chance at giving up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭friso59

Gave up cold turkey just over 3 months now.

Used to smoke around 7-8 a day and near 20 on a night out.

The first 2-3 weeks were the worst for cravings.
    After that they became less frequent and the will power got better.
    I really didn't want to let all that hard work go to waste.

I found that once I got a craving I had to distract myself for a few minutes until I forgot about it.

Do anything, wash some dishes, re-arrange clothes in the wardrobe, go online to read quit smoking tips.....

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I'm 35 now and have been smoking since I'm 16. Used to smoke 10 a day until our clever government banned the 10 box so within a short time thereafter, I was on 20 a day. Gave up yesterday by using the Nicorette inhalator and to be honest I'm shocked at how well I'm doing. I've tried giving them up before but generally didn't make it through the first day.

I think I have a different attitude to it this time around. Before when I would attempt to give up, I would be dreading the thought of not smoking when driving or after a meal and all the usual times. This time around, I started thinking how great it would be that my hair, clothes and car would not smell and how I would not be spending 9.10 per day which if I'm completely honest I can no longer afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I've read this whole thread with interest - and it gave me the push I needed to quit, so thanks to all on the thread!
    I had a light rollie habit generally, turning thunderously heavy when boozing.

In the last while, I'd started to feel sorry for smokers, and embarrassed when I realized people probably felt sorry for me too!
    My partner smoked 30 (straights) a day, and gave up almost 2 years ago, so I thought if he can do it, anyone can. He never nagged me or got on my ass about giving up - he's of the belief that you need to really want to give up before you can successfully do it, a realization you must come to by yourself.

So I stopped 1 week ago, and it's going OK. I've even been to the pub once and had a couple of cans in the gaff and not smoked. I haven't used any nicotine replacement - I don't personally believe it in - just been sipping water when I want a fag in work, and playing guitar or tidying, chatting, whatever I can to take my mind off it when I want one at home. The wanting of one passes very quickly - it's just a flash, really. I had a bag of tobacco with me for the first 6 days (but no lighter or skins!), as comfort, but chucked it yesterday.

I did give up tea for the first few days - I read that it can make it easier if one gives up caffeine at the same time as caffeine can be a trigger. Big mistake! I was very emotional, even weeping in the jacks in work a few times! I blamed it on no fags, but decided to go back to tea 2 days ago and felt normal again. So for me, I guess my tea habit is worse than my fag habit! But that's a problem for another day!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience - I hope someone finds it helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Hi everyone. I am delighted to say that I have just passed the 1 year mark and feel thoroughly proud of myself.
    I had smoked for 28 years and found it really difficult to break the habbit. For the fist few months, I marked each day off my calendar.

Do whatever helps you to get through. This forum really helped me. I found it comforting and encouraging to be part of a group all trying to stop smoking together while maintaining anonymity. I also kept reading pages on the health benefits of giving up etc as motivation.

Take a day at a time. There will always be temptation and triggers ( I still face them regularly) but knowing that you can get past them feels empowering.

Good luck. You are doing the right thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Haven't posted in a few days but things are still going well. Cravings are minimal and withdrawal symptoms are non existent now. I've not told many people I'm off them because I want to see how I get on for a few weeks before I go telling them in case I fail in my attempts. I haven't even told my wife although I'd say she knows at this stage. I don't know - its just something I'd rather do myself without broadcasting it.Well done to all those who've jacked them in. And to those in their first few days I'd say keep it going because it gets much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

No nicotine, no tar, no tabaco smoke now this 2 weeks on saturday,
    its great, i can smell and taste better!
    I thought id fail after the first day, but to be honest its been quite easy for some reason? I have the odd "mmh id like a smoke thought" and the its gone a few minutes later. Iam glad i quit and plan to never smoke again!

Agree with largepants and skipz above, my current experience totally matches theirs.

I havent actually come across a smoker yet, no friends smoking in my company, I havent been to a bar or restaurant, I havent passed anyone on the street or outside a shop smoking, so Im interested to know how I will feel when I smell someone smoking. I dont think it will bother me.

I dont feel like my taste or smell has improved tbh, but I just feel like a 'cleaner' person for not smoking.

Ive got my eye on a pair of leather boots on ebay that are worth 3 weeks smoking money, so end of January I plan on treating myself :)

Day 5 and I feel great!
    Have a cough and sore throat but i'm told that will pass.
    Even able to go out with the lads in work when they go out for a smoke and even hang out with my mam.
    I'm amazed at how good I feel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Agree with largepants and skipz above, my current experience totally matches theirs.

I havent actually come across a smoker yet, no friends smoking in my company, I havent been to a bar or restaurant, I havent passed anyone on the street or outside a shop smoking, so Im interested to know how I will feel when I smell someone smoking. I dont think it will bother me.

:)

I only stopped a few days ago but on day 2, I called to my friend's house after work. The old routine consisted of me drinking two cups of tea and smoking about five cigarettes. I was there about 15 minutes and my friend went to go outside to smoke. I insisted that she smoke in front of me because I had to get used to it sooner or later and I can say 100% it did not bother me when she did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Well done everyone who is quitting this year!!!!! We can do it!!!

On day 5 here, i think, maybe its day 4, gave up at 12.30pm on monday so not too sure. But anyway, I started the C25k on wednesday night, was hard but not at the same time. Felt good to run! Will do my second run in two hours after work, my legs hurt a little but hope this gets better.

Had a drink with a smoker last night, few hours, I did fine, didnt miss them at all, although friend was being very considerate and not smoking much, but still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

This is fantastic. Im on day 5 myself now. I am going completely mad, but I am really enjoying being off them. I can now even find myself in the company of firends who smoke and not be tempted.

Although I do have tendancies to do stupid things while off them. For example, I signed up to a 1600mile rickshaw race across India in Spetember the other day. But hey, better that than smoking!

Keep up the good work folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Off the smoke ten weeks today well pleased with lasting this long, I can be around people no problem at this stage smoking but I do still get the craving after a few beers, its ok if iim sat inside away from it but at the end of the night when people are smoking around me I do still get the urge to smoke, also still have the weasy chest was hoping the be clearing by now.

egan2020 wrote: »
    I only stopped a few days ago but on day 2, I called to my friend's house after work. The old routine consisted of me drinking two cups of tea and smoking about five cigarettes. I was there about 15 minutes and my friend went to go outside to smoke. I insisted that she smoke in front of me because I had to get used to it sooner or later and I can say 100% it did not bother me when she did.

Thanks for posting about that, makes me less fearful of being in the company of smoking friends (mind you Ive hardly any of them left!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Off them 1 Year and 1 month now. Best thing I ever done in my life. I feel so much better in so many ways. I have been told I look like I have gotten younger.

Would never touch off them again, I can be around people smoking and it dose not bother me one bit.

Everyone starting out or at the early stages, keep in there, trust me it is well worth it. Also tell everyone your quitting and when you go to smoke one, tell yourself your letting everyone down by smoking.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Day 5 here for me, great to see people still plugging away!

Maybe this is because it's a Friday but have found the cravings pretty bad today - also has a bit of smokers flu for the past couple of days and I suppose its going to be more difficult the more it clears up

Also have this weird tension in my jaw, the kind I used to get when i hadn't had a smoke for hours! Finding it hard to differentiate between the physical and the psychological addiction

Either way I'm not smoking no matter what the temptation. Have to keep going through this and hope that it gets easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Must also say for those trying to give up you should try reading Allen Carrs Easy Way to Stop Smoking, I was sceptical myself vefore reading it it was given to me by a friend and I must sayit really helped from day one I didn t have the normal cravings when I gave up. Now the book is repetitive and is kind of brainwashing but it works, this is the longest ive ever lasted and I cant see myselfgetting back on them anytime soon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Congrats to everyone so far.

I'm on day 13 or 14 now cold turkey, cravings are non-existent. Only had them for the first 2 or 3 days and were mild for me.

It looks like I've broken the routine as well. I dont think about lighting up when I sit in the car, or at the usual intervals in work when I normally would smoke. Havent been tempted to 'bum' a smoke or buy a pack.

I have noticed that I notice people smoking alot more, but not tempted by it, just more intruiged than anything. So if there are any smokers around Dublin who have seen someone stop and stare at them, that's just me :)

I havent yet been in a situation were there are people smoking all around me yet. Luckily most of my friends dont smoke and I dont really go to pubs/clubs anymore. In fact, talking to some friends who do smoke today and yesterday, they are eager to quit now as well.

So all is going well for me, I've also tried to do alot more exercise which has helped alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

quaalude wrote: »

I did give up tea for the first few days - I read that it can make it easier if one gives up caffeine at the same time as caffeine can be a trigger. Big mistake! I was very emotional, even weeping in the jacks in work a few times! I blamed it on no fags, but decided to go back to tea 2 days ago and felt normal again. So for me, I guess my tea habit is worse than my fag habit! But that's a problem for another day!

lol! I did the opposite,always drank a lot of tea but for the first couple of wks drank absolute gallons of it !. It gave me something to do and with two mugs at a time I found feeling full helped me get past the moment.
    Now we are on tea and cake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Day 11 down for me and all going well. I feel good about quitting this time unlike previous attempts. I have noticed I smell smoke inside buildings now from smoke blowing in from outside- would not have smelt or noticed that before. People at work know I am off them so getting asked daily about it - wish they dropped it as just reminds me of smoking. Most ppl mean well though.

I can jog 5k now no bother and not have chest pain like I used to have. I am confident I can stay off them in car, work, house. Just worried still about the pub being a big trigger.

Only thing I miss sofar is the craic n gossip in the smoking area at work. I don't see some of them from one end of wk to next now and would have seen them a good few times throughout day before!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

I gave up the evil smokes on tuesday at 2pm to be precise!!! this is my 2nd serious time to do it and this time im doing it "cold turkey", though i hear the statistics doing it this way arent the best but who knows!!

bought "stressless" today in the health shop but not sure how good they are or if its all in the head taking them? was going to buy herbal smokes but a certain amount of tar in them also so left them..

no withdrawal symptons yet, only the obvious ones. last time i got really bad pains in my chest and had to go and have an x-ray done so im not sure if thats going to happen again either... really want to stay off them so i bought a money box yesterday and im going to save the money i would be spending on smokes.

Should i be coughing bad by now etc or is this all to come?

any tips on how to stop eating more though as i dont want to put on lots of weight as i've lost weight recently. im in the gym, eating lots of fruit/mints/chewing gum etc but still hungry even though im not..

great site by the way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

150 days down!! whoop whoop - I'm free of them .. free I tells ya!

Advertisement