Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Im coming to the end of day 8, kind of over the initial high of quitting but still finding it bearable.

I have a couple of worries though, firstly, that i start to convince myself that i can have a smoke, because i know i can quit them. Secondly, i havent had a drink yet, but we're entertaining a freind from abroad this weekend, so booze will be unnavoidable.

I have one of those e-ciggarettes and some nicotine gum, to counter any particularly strong cravings (in tandem with my daily patch) so fingers crossed for the weekend really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Secondly, i havent had a drink yet, but we're entertaining a freind from abroad this weekend, so booze will be unnavoidable.

I avoided alcohol for ages when I quit. Cant remember how long exactly, I did have a few occasions when I had just 1 drink with a meal, but I think I waited over 3 months to have more than 1 or 2 drinks at a time - I really really wanted to quit and didnt want to scupper my chances early on.

As it happened, on the night that I had a good few drinks, I didnt feel like smoking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Im coming to the end of day 8, kind of over the initial high of quitting but still finding it bearable.

I have a couple of worries though, firstly, that i start to convince myself that i can have a smoke, because i know i can quit them. Secondly, i havent had a drink yet, but we're entertaining a freind from abroad this weekend, so booze will be unnavoidable.

I have one of those e-ciggarettes and some nicotine gum, to counter any particularly strong cravings (in tandem with my daily patch) so fingers crossed for the weekend really.
    Anyone can stop smoking. I have done it a hundred times before. And one of my downfalls was thinking this is easy, I will just have one.
    I just had to get it into my head, no excuses what so ever.
    No surrender to the nicoteen addiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Day 6 now. Haven't had any majorly strong cravings yet, have managed to just keep reminding myself why I want to quit and that keeps me off them. Tomorrow night will be a test as it's a night out with several smokers but I survived the last time so I know I can do it.

Also, got a laugh that there are two Halloween Jacks trying to quit and started roughly at the same time. There must be more in common. :D

Kudos mate;) just had my first night out since quitting, brought an e-ciggarette with me, seemed to do the job.

There must have been a rift in the space time continuum or something, once of us is from an alternate dimension;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I'm on day 12 now, was out last night and I must say I found it tough at times but I got through it and I don't have a hangover this morning, I put that down to not smoking :) Hope everyone is well and keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TonyHolland

Wow this is weird because my first serious attempt to quit cigarettes was exactly a year ago to the date!!

I succumbed after two months stupidly but i'm back again.

Reason being; was in South east Asia for two months recently, smoking and drinking every other day, when my girfriend decides that she wants to go scuba diving!!

I fill out a medical questionnaire say "If you've ever had this and that" Answered no-- You're supposed to see a Dr. If you answer yes.

Bravado got the better of me-- even though I should have been screened by a Dr. as my breathing has become fairly poor as of late-- no surprise really!!

Anyway on the day of the dive my girlfriend and I were practicing with another couple and had a French instructor.

The just of it was that my chest felt like exploding everytime I exhaled so I freaked out and decided I wasn't going ahead with the dive which went down to about 10m.

My girlfriend also backed out of the dive, but we had to endure an extra two hours sitting on a boat were there were 15-20 other French people who found myself and the GF the butt of their jokes as we had backed out of doing it.

The diving instructor even goaded to us that he smokes every day, so that wasn't a pleasant experience.

But one positive though, a silver lining if you will.

AUGUST 14th 11;20am Koh Tao, Thailand My last ever cigarette

I've managed to get a night sleeping ferry to Bangkok, bus journey to a sky train; two extremely long flights from Thailand to Dubai without smoking. Then from Dubai to Dublin straight onto a bus down South to Cork, without a fag.

Fair play to everyone else. I'm doing push up's and sit up's every-time I have a craving. I'm 27 and I want to be healthy so i'll keep an eye on this forum. This is incredibly important.

Sorry had to vent!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

24 days today

Stopped the gum after day 5 so I think I should be nicotine free by this stage.

I've had plenty of drinks in that time but havent gone on a full long night out yet - think that will be the real test.

Havent had any real cravings but sometimes I will get the odd pang for a smoke but havent given in yet (taking this one day at a time)

Two weeks today, feeling good....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 A Question of Class

3 weeks and 5 days. Had a really **** day on many levels but at least I havnt smoked. Hopefully tomorrow will be better

3 weeks and 5 days. Had a really **** day on many levels but at least I havnt smoked. Hopefully tomorrow will be better

Well done mate, just hit 3 weeks myself, hasn't always been easy, but glad I did it, hope you feel the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

kinda on my fourth day today. it seems to be getting worse everyday. almost gave up totally today.

had a few drags on a fag but dumped it quickly and back on the wagon.

bought some nicotine mints. not the best but i think i wanna break the habit mentally first before kicking the physical habit.

hopefully it works

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annadoll1985

stick in there tommyonbomb im on day 2 and am feeling so frustrated and bored without my cigarettes, but then i think its just i habit and if i can just get through the first few days the habit will be broken,so be strong we can do this,don't let cigarettes have the power over you.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Day 22 now. It's been going really well so far.

I was watching a film with a friend last night and, in it, there was a scene where one character was having a cigarette to settle his nerves. I was really tempted, the worst I've been since I quit, but, thankfully, it was around 11pm so no chance of getting any smokes. Got through it by clenching my fists (don't know why, just instinctively did it) and am feeling fine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Day 22 now. It's been going really well so far.

I was watching a film with a friend last night and, in it, there was a scene where one character was having a cigarette to settle his nerves. I was really tempted, the worst I've been since I quit, but, thankfully, it was around 11pm so no chance of getting any smokes. Got through it by clenching my fists (don't know why, just instinctively did it) and am feeling fine today.
    Thats great, your well on your way to being a non smoker. Another good thing about being off the cigs for a while is that my nervious system calmed down. I dont sweat things anymore, not in a physical sence. I am just a lot calmer these days.
    That feeling of nervousness around stressfull situations has gone. Of course I can feel stress but having nicoteen in my system used to make stressfull situations feel a lot worse than they were.
    It took a few months for it to calm.
    Its a good feeling, for a few years there I forgot what it felt like without having a stimulant in my system.
    And you can look forward to that. Cool calm and collected.:cool:

• Advertisement

Just thought Id drop in and say hi and encourage the newer quitters.

Im into my 9th month off the dirty smokes - yes, NINTH!!! Crazy, had never even attempted a quit in my previous 20+ years of smoking. I recently made it to the end of my couch to 5k program, me, who literally couldnt run for more than 10 or 20 seconds without my heart feeling like it was bursting in my chest and my head pounding so badly that I thought I was having a stroke!! I had myself well fooled, was doing plenty of exercise, but it was all anerobic exercise, never got that heart rate right up!

Anyway, I feel fitter than ever, and so happy Im not a slave to the cigarettes anymore. Ive been through pretty much every situation that I feared and its all been fine.

Its the best thing you can ever do for yourself, my only regret is how much money and time and health I wasted smoking for so many years!!! Why didnt I quit 10 years ago??? Who knows, at least Im off them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Well done username.

I knew that I was coming up to my 6 month anniversary and it is/was actually one hour ago.

For any new quitters,4 bits of advice;

1. Really want to give up before you start
    2. Excercise more than you did before quitting
    3. Don't worry about putting on weight/weird dreams/moodiness.
    These all pass and you will feel brilliant after a while
    4. The cravings stop !

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I was off them for nearly 10 years and for some bizarre reason I started up again in the last month.

Yep: it's like riding a bicycle, you never lose the 'skill'.

I am not going to buy another pack and get back on track. The price of the things now have me (and my wallet) in shock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

:( Back on the little deckers after a few too many drinks at the weekend. That was a waste of a month.

I'm booking the Allen Carr seminar this evening.

Anybody else gone to this? Effective?

:( Back on the little deckers after a few too many drinks at the weekend. That was a waste of a month.

It so was not a waste of a month!! Physical changes will have taken place in your brain with the receptors and if you are only just back on them you wont have had time to regrow those receptors so just stop again, right now!

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. I haven't had one today and don't intend to. Going through it all again just seems daunting.

I'm definitely trying the seminar. Hopefully this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Failed miserably last time...

5 days in now...

sick of smelling like crap... everytime I have one I realise how bad my fingers smell... disgusting!

Cheers for that. I haven't had one today and don't intend to. Going through it all again just seems daunting.

I'm definitely trying the seminar. Hopefully this weekend.

Have you tried the book? I read it when I was a day or two in, I did think it was good, although I had already made the decision to quit when I started it - so like your frame of mind, want to, ready to.

Dont be worrying about it being daunting, its a big thing, and what you are going through is a learning curve, you know now that a few too many drinks is a risk, so maybe avoid that for a while this time? I was afraid to drink, I didnt have more than one or two drinks until I was over 3 months in and the night I did was a hens party and I worried about it for weeks in advance - but it was fine!

Yeah I read the book about four years ago. It was amazing, it was like a switch flipped and I didn't need or want to smoke at all.

However it doesn't seem to hit home the same way the second time...it helps a little but it's not the same.

I am quitting this time despite this hiccup so I'd rather spend the €300 for the six hour course and be done with it.

That's good advice about simply avoiding alcohol, seems like the sensible thing to do.

That's good advice about simply avoiding alcohol, seems like the sensible thing to do.

I still had 2 or 3 drinks on occasion, I just didnt go past 3 drinks because I knew that that would be my possible area of failure and I really really wanted to be free of the bloody things!

Youre gonna do it. Your head is in the right place and thats half the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah I read the book about four years ago. It was amazing, it was like a switch flipped and I didn't need or want to smoke at all.

However it doesn't seem to hit home the same way the second time...it helps a little but it's not the same.

I am quitting this time despite this hiccup so I'd rather spend the €300 for the six hour course and be done with it.

I haven't done the course but from what I've read and also what a friend who has done it has said it is just the same concepts that are presented in the book. That "revelation" you talk about having the first time you read the book is what they want you to have when you are doing the course. Also they expect you to be still smoking during the course.

Sure if you really think it will help go for it but if it was me I would re-read the book and put that money towards a reward for myself if I'd stay off the smokes for the next say 3 months?

I suppose you're right, it is a lot of money. I'm going to try the book once more or maybe listen to it this time.

Will take username123's advice too and be very careful with alcohol for the next while.

I hate this shît, only back smoking a couple of days and could barely breath on the bike this morning.

Crazy. Has to stop.

Youre thinking 'I need something to get me off them' - but the truth is that your head is playing games with you, you dont need anything, you can do it yourself - youve already done it yourself!!

Think of the past few days as a slip, youre still off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

^ True. I gave up back in January of this year and have managed to stay off them. Glad to have that crap out of my system now:)

I'm attending the Allen Carr seminar at one o'clock. Really nervous but also very excited.

Fingers crossed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I'm off them 6 days now and was doing great!
    Woke up with mad cravings today and all i want to do is run to the shop and buy a pack of smokes :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im off them now 10 months. My trick was not to think about it as "quitting smoking" but just "stopping buying cigarettes".

I also got n aquarium. They are very time consuming.

I am on day three off the ciggs again: thank da Lord.

I like what was said above: if you have a slip, think of it as that--a slip, noting more! I was off smokes for 10 years and have been back smoking for only a couple of months but wow, do my lungs (and my wallet) feel the damage. I got myself one of those e-cigarette (vaping) packages and it has indeed helped a bit. Early days again, and I even though I admit I do feel the pull towards buying another pack of Malboros, lol, but I have resisted as I am not going back.
    I am a Non-smoker who had a brief detour, and now I am getting back on track.

The story we tell ourselves is very important I think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

sarahbro wrote: »
    I'm off them 6 days now and was doing great!
    Woke up with mad cravings today and all i want to do is run to the shop and buy a pack of smokes :-/
    I bought them :( so pissed off with myself and feeling like a guilty teenager smoking while himself is away :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

I quit 28 years ago, after a number of failures! I bought a cardboard calendar an every night crossed of the day. It was small enough to keep in my purse and during the day, when I'd get a longing, I'd count the days and tell myself that I'd suffered that long, that I wasn't going to fail now. That was in August. I kept that calendar and still have an odd peek! I also gave up drinking for the remainder of that year and took up knitting. It was one of the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and one of the most worthwhile.

I bought them so pissed off with myself and feeling like a guilty teenager smoking while himself is away

Hey don't be too hard on yourself. Tomorrow is another day to do things differently.

Ps: I hope you enjoy them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm attending the Allen Carr seminar at one o'clock. Really nervous but also very excited.

Fingers crossed :)

Let us know how you got on and what you think of the course?

2 months of them myself today, cold turkey!

Ok, so I went to the Allen Carr seminar yesterday.

I feel great today and even (under instruction) went out like it was a normal Saturday night. Had a few too many beers last night but didn't want a smoke. Delighted with that.

It lasted from one until half six and to be honest if you've read one of his books the first three hours may seem a little boring because you'll no doubt have his mantras already drilled into your head. (It's worth it)

We were sent out for a cigarette every hour and it was bizarre watching people gradually becoming more reluctant to go outside for one and openly not enjoying them towards the end. The "final cigarette" made me and from what I could tell, everybody else, feel ill.

It's only been a day so i'll reign in the praise a little bit but I've never gotten drunk and not wanted to smoke before, that was a big first for me so I'm naturally very excited by that. (I even laughed when my drunken girlfriend suggest we share one on the way home, crazy how other smokers will try to draw you back in if the sense you're free :) )

It may seem expensive but if it works for you as well as i think it has for me then it's cheap.

I will of course post here if I have a spectacular failure :) This time feels different though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

I even laughed when my drunken girlfriend suggest we share one on the way home, crazy how other smokers will try to draw you back in if the sense you're free :)

She doesn't sound like a very nice girlfriend :confused:

• Advertisement

pajodublin wrote:
    She doesn't sound like a very nice girlfriend :confused:

Ah she is usually. I went mad at her yesterday morning though.

She is trying to quit herself and we'd usually crack after a few beers. Not anymore though.

I've told her that i'll let it go once.

She is trying to quit herself and we'd usually crack after a few beers. Not anymore though.

Why dont ye knock off the few beers for a few weeks to get yourselves well bedded in as non smokers? Avoid the danger zone.

Why dont ye knock off the few beers for a few weeks to get yourselves well bedded in as non smokers? Avoid the danger zone.

I'll certainly be taking it easier but the lady who ran the seminar was adamant that you shouldn't change anything at all. If I find I'm thinking about smoking excessively I'll just go home earlier.

I'll certainly be taking it easier but the lady who ran the seminar was adamant that you shouldn't change anything at all. If I find I'm thinking about smoking excessively I'll just go home earlier.

Whatever works for you. I wouldnt have been able to trust myself in the early days, I knew that Id weaken with alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭HigsBoson

Trying for the third time this year, was off them for 10 and then 12 weeks since New Years. Both times it was having a few drinks that eventually lead me back onto them. This time I'm giving the drink a wide berth too. 6 days and counting, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

8 months today :D

• Advertisement

Love2love wrote: »
    8 months today :D

Aw, well done!!! I was 9 months yesterday. Feeling good? I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

And I was 8 months last Thursday, 27th Sept! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

7 months on Friday (5th Oct):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

647 days for me now. That's 1 year, 9 months and seven days since my last smoke (December 24 (Christmas Eve) 2010) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

DenMan wrote: »
    647 days for me now. That's 1 year, 9 months and seven days since my last smoke (December 24 (Christmas Eve) 2010) :D

Christmas Eve:eek::eek: What a day to pick!! I think of all the days in the years Christmas Eve or Christmas Day would be my last choice - fair play to you on such a brave move!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement