Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I went back on them after 12 years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

rebeve wrote: »
    I went back on them after 12 years .

How did you manage that!?
    Maybe you start to take for granted all the benefits of not smoking, that's the only thing I can think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭MeIsGod

Im off them 4 weeks today doing ok considering i supervised 15 8 year old boys at a birthday party today - a real test! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭cloud_dancer

I'll certainly be taking it easier but the lady who ran the seminar was adamant that you shouldn't change anything at all. If I find I'm thinking about smoking excessively I'll just go home earlier.

Firstly a big hello, I'm new to boards!

I'm off the ciggies about 8 months and for the first month while I didn't stay off the drink completely I kept it to a couple in the house or max two drinks out in the company of non-smokers. To do otherwise would be putting myself right into temptation. Any attempt I'd made before was ended on a night out after a few drinks. On previous attempts I tried Allan Carr, hypnotherapy, inhalers, patches you name it. This last time it was cold turkey and lessons from how I'd failed in the past.

Even though the lady said not to change anything at all you still need to apply some common sense and give yourself the best chance possible. There's no point in making it more difficult for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am just the 24 hours on the e-cig now, going ok, steady as she goes, hope not to fall

goat2 wrote: »
    i am just the 24 hours on the e-cig now, going ok, steady as she goes, hope not to fall

Best of luck with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

goat2 wrote: »

Hi. I am over 8 months off them now with the help of the e-cig! And am in the process of weaning off that now too. Believe me, if I can acheive that then anyone can. I loved smoking - really enjoyed it:o:o But I knew the time had come to stop. I found the e-cig the perfect "crutch" to get me there - nothing had worked before.
    Take it all one day at a time and roll with the cravings until they pass. Little by little you get there. Don't put huge pressure on yourself - I think that's the reason why people sometimes break.
    Good luck and if I can help with any e-cig tips etc just ask.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

Shazanne wrote: »
    Christmas Eve:eek::eek: What a day to pick!! I think of all the days in the years Christmas Eve or Christmas Day would be my last choice - fair play to you on such a brave move!!

Ha yeah I had two that night and haven't gone back on them since. Best time to give them up as it's the ultimate test. I got through the Christmas/New Years period and by the time January rolled in I was well on my way. Thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 orlamcnevin

Hi All,

On day three today. Have to say it's tough but do-able so far!
    When I think of certain events or situations where I won't be able to smoke I get really daunted so I just keep sticking to the mantra of 'I won't smoke today'.

Seems to have worked so far. Using Champix to help me quit and I would highly recommend them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Off them 9 days today, tough going but taking one day at a time, have an e-cig for when it gets really unbareable but im trying to limit myself from that aswell.

Ive been drinking twice and to be honest it was torture but i managed to avoid them. I think the trick is to stay away from the smoking area...a pitfall which has succomoned me before. I also had a long drive 3 hours + and on these drives the e-cig came in useful as I would smoke like a trooper before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

You know, I must be really weird :eek::eek::eek: as I found that staying away from the smoking area or not going out side when out for a meal etc was only making me more aware that I didn't smoke! (Yep, she's weird I hear you say!!)
    I stopped by using the e-cig, so I continued my usual routine of going outside with friends (in the cold and rain), heading to the smoking area etc and that, in my mind, meant that little had changed except the fact that I was not smoking a cigarette. Changing everything would have been too much for me to handle in one go:(:o
    It just goes to prove that everyone is different and that what works for one may not necessarily work for another. So don't get despondent if your friends etc are all sailing along happily in their efforts to give up the weed - do it your way and in a way that you can handle and that doesn't stress you out. You will get there in your own time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

When I think of certain events or situations where I won't be able to smoke I get really daunted so I just keep sticking to the mantra of 'I won't smoke today'.

That totally passes. You get to a point where you dont even think about them one way or the other in relation to events.

I think the mindset is the most important thing. A friend of mine gave up a couple of weeks after me (I quit Jan 1), and from the start we had different attitudes. I wanted to be free of the horrible smelly feckers. She knew that she shouldnt be smoking because its not good for you and its expensive. But she didnt truly hate being a slave the way I did.

She was supposed to quit Jan 1, but there was some excuse at the time. I just heard she is back smoking since July, after a stressful event. She used nrt to quit and took a long time to stop with the nicorette inhaler. On numerous occasions during the year she had expressed to me that she missed them, she had been so close to buying some etc.. I never felt any of that.

She doesnt seem to mind that she is back on them whereas Id be totally gutted!!!

So yeah, the mindset - thats the most important thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Shazanne wrote: »
    You know, I must be really weird :eek::eek::eek: as I found that staying away from the smoking area or not going out side when out for a meal etc was only making me more aware that I didn't smoke! (Yep, she's weird I hear you say!!)
    I stopped by using the e-cig, so I continued my usual routine of going outside with friends (in the cold and rain), heading to the smoking area etc and that, in my mind, meant that little had changed except the fact that I was not smoking a cigarette. Changing everything would have been too much for me to handle in one go:(:o
    It just goes to prove that everyone is different and that what works for one may not necessarily work for another. So don't get despondent if your friends etc are all sailing along happily in their efforts to give up the weed - do it your way and in a way that you can handle and that doesn't stress you out. You will get there in your own time!!

You think you are weird ?

I went cold turkey in March this year and I loved the smell of the cigs( still do) so I used to go out in the cold and the rain with no cigarettes.:confused:

I agree with you 100% about not changing too many things at the same time.I went to the pub after a few days and didn't have the slightest worry about anything else(mood swings,putting on weight etc) as I had enough on my plate trying to "beat the weed".

To anyone else out there currently in the throes of giving up,do whatever you feel comfortable with(e.g. go/don't go to the pub if that is what you are comfortable with) and as Shazanne says above ,what works for others may not work for you so "small steps" is the key to it and most importantly really wanting to give up( if you don't really want to,you will probably fail and I firmly believe that a half hearted attempt will probably do you more harn than good-harsh I know, but true)

That totally passes. You get to a point where you dont even think about them one way or the other in relation to events.

I think the mindset is the most important thing. A friend of mine gave up a couple of weeks after me (I quit Jan 1), and from the start we had different attitudes. I wanted to be free of the horrible smelly feckers. She knew that she shouldnt be smoking because its not good for you and its expensive. But she didnt truly hate being a slave the way I did.

She was supposed to quit Jan 1, but there was some excuse at the time. I just heard she is back smoking since July, after a stressful event. She used nrt to quit and took a long time to stop with the nicorette inhaler. On numerous occasions during the year she had expressed to me that she missed them, she had been so close to buying some etc.. I never felt any of that.

She doesnt seem to mind that she is back on them whereas Id be totally gutted!!!

So yeah, the mindset - thats the most important thing!

I had a very similar mindset to you. From the start I wanted rid of the ciggies from my life, I didn't want to be tied to them and believe me I loved smoking! I just had this turn around in my mind and was so determined to quit. Cold turkey was the best method for me. It's about 7 - 8 months now and I never think of them anymore. Don't miss them in any situation.

Don't miss them in any situation.

I feel exactly the same - just past the 9 month mark, roll on the rest of our lives free of the horrible yokes!

I feel exactly the same - just past the 9 month mark, roll on the rest of our lives free of the horrible yokes!

The way I feel now it's hard to believe I ever smoked. I actually feel sorry for people who have to go outside and smoke.

Ah isn't it great to be free! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 orlamcnevin

Day 4 and still going stong.

I have to say this site was a blessing yesterday.
    Literally a day of pure misery!

I feel now if I got through that, I can get through anything!

Thanks to everyone for posting on here, all you non-smokers are an inspiration.
    For everyone on the road to being a non-smoker...good luck to you.

'Just don't smoke today'

Yippee - Day 3 is the worst!!

Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Day 3 was hell for me. Hang in there and remember take 1 day at a time.

• Advertisement

Day 4 and still going stong.

I have to say this site was a blessing yesterday.
    Literally a day of pure misery!

Thanks to everyone for posting on here, all you non-smokers are an inspiration.
    For everyone on the road to being a non-smoker...good luck to you.

'Just don't smoke today'

Keep going. It will get easier each day. Just remember a craving only lasts 3 - 5 mins and each day you'll get less and less cravings. You'll do great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

hello fellow non smokers,
    day 3 for me, for some reason i woke up on saturday morn and thought what will i do today?...oh yes thats it ill give up smoking..have tried several times before but never really put my back into it, champix were like penny sweets for me. ONly difference they made was drive me bonkers.
    So first day back at work and im flying , am on stage one of the patches and feel strangly good already. Had cut down alot over the last few weeks with the patches (from 20/day down to 5) so cutting them out altogether was actually easier than i thought. Main side effect has been my sleep is all over the place. before i could sleep through a war and now i wake 5 times a night. but maybe only 4 times last night so a little better.
    Quitting is actually fun when you take it as a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Day 4, yesterday was Hell. But very proud of getting this far cold turkey. I found this website helpful, theres also an app too.

http://www.exsmokers.eu/

one feature i found helpful was the panic button, when you get that craving, just click the panic button for numberous reasons why you shouldnt smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

50+ days, 25+ sticks, 20+ years, cold turkey.

120 in a drawer...

tbc

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Day 4, yesterday was Hell. But very proud of getting this far cold turkey. I found this website helpful, theres also an app too.

http://www.exsmokers.eu/

one feature i found helpful was the panic button, when you get that craving, just click the panic button for numberous reasons why you shouldnt smoke.

www.whyquit.com is a great one too. There's so much in it. I think I discovered it day 2 or 3 and it really helped keep me on the right track. Cold turkey is best. After day 3 all the nasty nicotine leaves your body and you only have to deal with your bodys own chemical reactions to the withdrawal after that. Whyquit.com really explains everything that is happening in your body from the sugar cravings to the depression. That's what helped me stay on track. Knowing what was happening to me and why helped me to understand that is was all temporary and that I would feel normal again. Knowledge is power! :D

You are doing great by the way. On the home run now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

www.whyquit.com is a great one too. There's so much in it. I think I discovered it day 2 or 3 and it really helped keep me on the right track. Cold turkey is best. After day 3 all the nasty nicotine leaves your body and you only have to deal with your bodys own chemical reactions to the withdrawal after that. Whyquit.com really explains everything that is happening in your body from the sugar cravings to the depression. That's what helped me stay on track. Knowing what was happening to me and why helped me to understand that is was all temporary and that I would feel normal again. Knowledge is power! :D

im free of the yoke of cigarettes now for ohh..nearly three years...i afraid i dont agree with the cold turkey approach..personally i think if overnight you deprive your body of a chemical its used to getting for decades in some cases..its gonna re-act in all sorts of strange ways..i used patches for about three months..and a combination of will power and self hypnosis...my mantra was ..i dont smoke ..i dont want a cigarette..over and over again ....each time i had a craving id start up my mantra..i likened the craving to a little voice pleading for a cig..eventually the voice got quieter and quieter...what i mean is its very do-able..keep at it..even if you slip up and go back on them so what..be positive an see it as a pratice run..and dont forget your mantra.

• Advertisement

Maudi wrote: »
    im free of the yoke of cigarettes now for ohh..nearly three years...i afraid i dont agree with the cold turkey approach..personally i think if overnight you deprive your body of a chemical its used to getting for decades in some cases..its gonna re-act in all sorts of strange ways..i used patches for about three months..and a combination of will power and self hypnosis...my mantra was ..i dont smoke ..i dont want a cigarette..over and over again ....each time i had a craving id start up my mantra..i likened the craving to a little voice pleading for a cig..eventually the voice got quieter and quieter...what i mean is its very do-able..keep at it..even if you slip up and go back on them so what..be positive an see it as a pratice run..and dont forget your mantra.

Mantra's are great. I did something similar, kept telling myself I don't smoke anymore and I really don't want a cigarette. It really works! :D Over the course of about 10 years I had tried to quit by using patches, gum, inhalers, Allan Carr book, hypnotherapy (cost a fortune), cold turkey and failed. My success this time was down to looking at where I went wrong each time and avoiding it. I put together a plan of when I would do it, took a couple of days off work and sucked it up. The main thing was that I really wanted to quit this time and I felt getting the nicotine out of my body as fast as possible was the best thing for me.

You are right though, my body did react in all sorts of strange ways – I got acne, felt weak, shaky, headaches, mood swings, sugar cravings, depression. Thankfully within a few weeks I was fully back to normal! I couldn't have been too much of a basket case either since I inspired four people in work to quit themselves :D

Maudi wrote: »

I did cold turkey, I wanted to be free both of the drug of nicotine and the habit of smoking. I only had to listen to that voice clamouring loudly for 3 days, then it shut up over the few weeks. I couldnt have listened to it quietly for months, it would have killed me!!

Given there was a huge study released around the time I quit showing that NRT versus cold turkey gave the same relapse rate I couldnt really see the point in spending more money lol!!!

I think each individual needs to do their own way that suits them.

Thanks for that Site will deffo check it out :) I agree cold turkey is the only way. on day five im still moody, a few dizzy spells but i can find myself not even getting too many cravings because i chose to ignore them :) No booze for a few weekends and ill be on the road to success! Failure is not an Option :cool:

Thanks for that Site will deffo check it out :) I agree cold turkey is the only way. on day five im still moody, a few dizzy spells but i can find myself not even getting too many cravings because i chose to ignore them :) No booze for a few weekends and ill be on the road to success! Failure is not an Option :cool:

Ah the dizzy's - its all that extra oxygen to the brain :D

It passes. And youre already on the road to success the moment you quit.

Yeah it'll all pass soon enough. I wasn't magically back to normal after two weeks, I did have some mood swings but it's so well worth it. Staying off the booze is a good idea. I was a month quit before having a big night out. You sound like you've got it all under control :cool:

• Advertisement

Yeah it'll all pass soon enough. I wasn't magically back to normal after two weeks, I did have some mood swings but it's so well worth it. Staying off the booze is a good idea. I was a month quit before having a big night out. You sound like you've got it all under control :cool:

Thanks Cloud_Dancer, yeah i feel like im in control, i stayed in last night and have plenty of things to keep me occupied for the rest of the weekend so think at least a month off the boose is a great idea:).

I was in control last year and i remember how easy it was to throw all the hard work away with one horrible disgusting evil cig, not this time I WILL not go through this process again.:) I actually just realised yesterday that I have been smoking 17 years , i honestly didnt think it was that long. Suppose no point in dwelling on the past, Time for an Lovely autumn walk me thinks and breath in some fresh air :cool:

Best of luck to everyone else too:)

Thanks Cloud_Dancer, yeah i feel like im in control, i stayed in last night and have plenty of things to keep me occupied for the rest of the weekend so think at least a month off the boose is a great idea:).

I was in control last year and i remember how easy it was to throw all the hard work away with one horrible disgusting evil cig, not this time I WILL not go through this process again.:) I actually just realised yesterday that I have been smoking 17 years , i honestly didnt think it was that long. Suppose no point in dwelling on the past, Time for an Lovely autumn walk me thinks and breath in some fresh air :cool:

Best of luck to everyone else too:)

It's so easy to be back to square one. The difference between this time and any other time for me is that I realised I'm an addict and can never have even one cig. Any other time I thought I could turn into a smoker when I'm drinking type smoker. I was smoking 16 years and I'm still hanging into my 20's. It's shocking! :eek:

Enjoy being smoke free :)

It's so easy to be back to square one. The difference between this time and any other time for me is that I realised I'm an addict and can never have even one cig. Any other time I thought I could turn into a smoker when I'm drinking type smoker. I was smoking 16 years and I'm still hanging into my 20's. It's shocking! :eek:

Enjoy being smoke free :)

Well Done to you :) yeah I have that embedded in my head that im an addict and I can never ever have another drag (which is fine with me ;) ) Well Im not much better Im only 30 and been smoking 17 years :(

Well Done to you :) yeah I have that embedded in my head that im an addict and I can never ever have another drag (which is fine with me ;) ) Well Im not much better Im only 30 and been smoking 17 years :(

This time in four weeks you will hardly think about them. No time really in the grand scheme of things :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Yo, im over 3 months off them now, feels so much better and have so much more spare cash, ive taken up running and am running 10k 4 times a week now.

For anybody struggling, hang in there, it gets easier, and its worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭biomech

one month tomorrow. has been ok, off all patchs and inhaler since end of week 2. Sleep was very disturbed and by getting off NRT seemed to cure. another reason for getting off NRT was the mouth ulcers. ouch.... have my second one now in as many weeks... not cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

had made several failed attempts to quit in the past 7 or 8 years but finally thought i had the battle won this time. I hadn't smoked since January 20th until a couple of weeks ago. I smoked a few on a night out and have been having very bad cravings since. I was out again last Friday night and smoked 2. I'm terrified I'm going to end up buying a packet some night. If I do that I'm back to square one again

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Henlars67 wrote: »
    had made several failed attempts to quit in the past 7 or 8 years but finally thought i had the battle won this time. I hadn't smoked since January 20th until a couple of weeks ago. I smoked a few on a night out and have been having very bad cravings since. I was out again last Friday night and smoked 2. I'm terrified I'm going to end up buying a packet some night. If I do that I'm back to square one again

I was in the same boat few mths bck said id quit after my holiday but who was i fooling NOBODY but myself, im off them since oct 22nd and my god it was harder this time round:mad: im not going thru it again

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TwoBirds

Decided to quit this evening, I'm not a hardcore smoker IMO (usually 5 or 6 a day) but an addiction is an addiction and it's still €20 a week out of my threadbare, student pocket. Dreading the days/weeks ahead! The guy I'm dating at the minute is a smoker so I reckon that'll be a challenge - it's ok to avoid the smoking area on nights out with a mix of smoking and non-smoking friends, but when it's just the two of us and he's popping off for a smoke I'm going to be jealous... :( Aiming to be completely rid of them for Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Checking in, yet again...

I didn't want to post until I was sure it was safe. This was, and is, my fourth, and I reckon final attempt.

Yep, I broke out again.

I/we had a relapse for a couple of months-then I developed (or at least endured) a bout of sleep apneoa. It's harmless enough in itself, in most cases, but when you wake up around twice a week, bolt upright in the bed roaring for breath, in your mid-thirties, it can be a bit disconcerting. Especially on the wife, when she has to dislodge her nose from the ceiling after an event you barely remember noticing.

Anyway, I think it's safe now. Fourth attempt from me, third from her. And we're on the third month. Cold turkey in my case, a failed run at e-cigs in hers (they gave her wind!).

In terms of the cravings, they don't go away. Actually I got one writing this, but it was very mild. Like I say, they don't just vanish, at least not for quite a while, but every day makes things easier. Really it does. After a week or two you'll probably spend most of your days wondering what the fuss was about-until you get one of the ever decreasing cravings, that is. Emphasis on the ever decreasing! The best part is though, not only do they get less frequent-they also get shorter. I look forward to the annual one second long nicotine urge, I'm pretty close to it already :)

'Cos, like I say, I got a craving while writing this post. I only thought it worthy of note, because it's the first I've had in about four days.

And I'm three months clean. It gets easier, but you need to forget about á la carte smoking, a fag here and there, can't be done.

Live with the itch. That will eventually fade away too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

For the first time in ages I got an awful craving for a cigarette this morning, there was no reason behind it. I just would have loved one. I resisted. Have been off them since last January. Sometimes I can't believe I am not s smoker anymore. I also wonder how I could have afforded them. I was half regretting buying four brand new books for college at a cost of 90 euro today but that would have bought me less than ten days worth of fags which I wouldn't have regretted at all! Mad.

Just thought Id check in.

Nearly a year off them now. Cant quite believe it! Delighted.

Still have a healthy fear of them!

Was out on Saturday night, got very drunk (probably the drunkest I have been this year - bearing in mind Ive only drank more than a drink or two about 6 times) and didnt even think of cigarettes. Never even crossed my mind. Much nicer not having to smoke with the hangover!

I hope this forum gets revved up again around xmas/new years and Ill have plenty of encouragement for those who quit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm nearly a year not smoking too - I remember username123 stopped smoking a week or two before me.

Like all smokers, I had the excuses down pat - "I don't really smoke too much", "I only really smoke when I'm in work, or out with friends", "it's really fun", "quite cool", "how could I celebrate without a fag", "how could I get through a difficult time without a fag" etc. etc. - but I thought I'd give stopping a bash after stumbling on this forum.

I wouldn't dream of smoking now - I find it so repellent, I can't believe I ever smoked. Once I hadn't smoked for about a month it was like the scales fell from my eyes, and I saw for real how revolting and pointless smoking is, in a way I couldn't see when I smoked.

Oh, and I had a couple of rules that helped me:

1. For me, it wasn't "quitting", or "giving up". That makes it sound like a sacrifice, when it isn't. It's a filthy habit that I once had, but had ceased. You wouldn't "give up", say, biting your nails. So I always say "stopping smoking", or "no longer smoking".
    -
    2. Smoking is binary - it's 0 or 1. The only thing that makes someone a smoker is the cigarette in their hand. So no cheeky ones, no pull off of someone's, no having one when drunk - nothing like that is acceptable. If I had one, then I was a smoker, and that's not possible, because I no longer smoke.

I recommend anyone who is thinking of stopping to just go for it - if you're like me, it will become repellent, and turn from something very hard into something very easy.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really passionate about this now!

Great post Quaalude, delighted that you are on target for the years anniversary!!

I totally agree with what you said, it is exactly like the scales falling from the eyes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 VapeTime

Not completely off them yet, but hoping haha

Congrats to those who have and good luck to those trying :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

10 months free today!

Ive been dreaming alot about smoking lately, waking up elated that I didnt smoke for real - they can be so vivid!

I find it easier not to be a smoker in the winter because I hated having to go outside in the freezing cold / rain / snow for a cigarette. So now is actually a perfect time to quit for anyone thinking about it :D:D:D

I cannot wait for Christmas morning this year because every other year I use to make my children stay in bed while I would sneek outside to smoke (checking to see if Santa has come!) before allowing them open their presents. I feel so guilty about that now :( but thankfully that won't happen again :D

I still havent let my guard down - I had endure a 10 minute conversation the other day by one of the other mothers at football practice on the joys of smoking! And how much she loves take a long deep drag first thing in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭blackiebest1

Off them since the 9th of July, over 25 years smoking and a pack of ML's a day on average!

It feels great! I had a couple of hits off a dube at a party a month back (when drunk) but frankly was disgusted with myself. Wife still smokes which is a bit of a problem but also it is a compelling test!

I agree with an earlier post about 'giving up' as opposed to stopping! It is indeed like stopping a horrible habit so I just say I have stopped smoking. I know I will never again be a smoker! This just can not happen!

Best of luck to all who must still make the leap but DO IT. All the 'aids' are fine and use what works for you but at the end you must just see that you are an ex-smoker, one who does NOT smoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Stumbled in here by accident/fortune and saw all the banners in peoples sigs saying how long they are off cigs and how much they saved. I'm using it now and I think it will be a help everyday looking at how much I've saved and how many smokes I've avoided.

Will be saving even more after today's budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Since I was on here. I will be of them 2 years this January. I ran the Dublin marathon recently in 3hrs58mins...

Haven't felt this good in 20 years. Initially put on 1 stone which took my total to 18...lost 4 stone since by getting active, mostly running.

Give'm up, best thing you'll ever do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Not sure of the exact date but December 2 years ago I quit! Can't believe it's been two years ago.

I'm so proud :)

Advertisement