Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Well done to the posters above.

It will be a year for me in 2 days time. I deliberately didnt worry about weight gain, figured it was a big enough deal to stop smoking. I havent put on much, a few lb, but could do with a general diet clean up etc... so thats the plan for 2013.

Got running in 2012 so going to keep that up. Delighted to be almost a year off them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I gave up today in 2007 with support on this forum, I conservatively estimate at 20 a day (I smoked like a chimney on nights out) at an average price of €8 a pack over the 5 years that I have saved €14600 and more importantly not smoked 36500 cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 locater7

one year off them 8th january
    10,710 cigs not swmoked

4899.98 euro saved
    and ive saved the money

smoked for almost 30 years--never thought i was going to quit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

1 year down tonight. Many more to go fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

1 year down tonight. Many more to go fingers crossed.

Congrats im 1 year and 1 month down myself :), have never looked back since still get weak momments but wont ever go back on them.

• Advertisement

Congrats im 1 year and 1 month down myself :), have never looked back since still get weak momments but wont ever go back on them.

Thank you and congrats to you too. Have to say I'm very proud of myself and here's to many more years smoke free :D

Now for a year of losing the weight I put on lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Thank you and congrats to you too. Have to say I'm very proud of myself and here's to many more years smoke free :D

Now for a year of losing the weight I put on lol

:pac: yeh Ive recently taken up jogging to counteract the keg that was starting to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭allgirlz

I am a social smoker but I am sick to death of them, standing out in the cold shivering when I should be sitting with my mates! So as of today I am no longer a smoker, have been meaning to stop for quite some time so new years is the perfect excuse. I hope I can stick with it, feel v determined at the moment though. Any tips for success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Good on you.
    First tip is to take each day as it comes.The cravings will be intense but only last a minute or so and they get fewer and less intense as time goes on.
    If you are now "nicotine free" then the next few days will probably be tough but this time next week you will be over the worst and hopefully well on the road to being a non smoker.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

18 hours in and gumming for one. I've got an incredible amount of energy and I've done my best to use it. This won't be easy but I'll come through it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Well done to the posters above.

It will be a year for me in 2 days time. I deliberately didnt worry about weight gain, figured it was a big enough deal to stop smoking. I havent put on much, a few lb, but could do with a general diet clean up etc... so thats the plan for 2013.

Got running in 2012 so going to keep that up. Delighted to be almost a year off them!

Me too!! Two years on 7th January and depended so much on these boards....they are such a great help.....use them as much as you need and they will get you through. I still check in every now and then, and its nice to know the support is still there (if I ever need it). Good luck everyone!!!! It is the BEST THING YOU WILL EVER DO! I didnt think i could give them up after 32 years of smoking 20-25 a day, but I did. Remember that when you feel weak!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

im off them 1 year 1 week and 2 days, and have gone back to sport that i love horse riding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Off since May, Keep it going folks. The thought of a smoke makes me wanna puke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

almost a day off them now, im dying for one but im determined to beat them this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

almost a day off them now, im dying for one but im determined to beat them this time

Me off them since midnight wouldn't be worth doing if it was too easy lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Off them 6 weeks (as you can see by my Quit Counter). Christmas was the test for me. Feel like I've kicked it this time round, won't be going back on them.

I haven't put any money away, but I recently acquired a horse and I pay for her keep, whereas before I stopped smoking (and got the horse) I was broke 3rd week of the month, I think that speaks for itself :D

3 days now, doing very well and feel great. ive started walking in the evening again and im amazed at my energy levels already

Am off them 3 days, finding it hard as we are still off and having a glass of wine at night! Am absolutley dying for one, plus have injured my back so am in agony but am sticking to my resolution! Amazingly I had a few glasses of wine last night and no fags, today I had no ill effects at all, often after a few drinks (and fags) I would feel like crap the next day so am wondering if half my hangovers are fag related? Anyway it is tough but I am determined!! How is everyone else doing?

allgirlz wrote: »
    Am off them 3 days, finding it hard as we are still off and having a glass of wine at night! Am absolutley dying for one, plus have injured my back so am in agony but am sticking to my resolution! Amazingly I had a few glasses of wine last night and no fags, today I had no ill effects at all, often after a few drinks (and fags) I would feel like crap the next day so am wondering if half my hangovers are fag related? Anyway it is tough but I am determined!! How is everyone else doing?

Off 3 days now and been ok so far. Am walking as well which I started before Christmas so am feeling benefits of both. Keep at it.

Well done everyone, if youve made 3 days you are over the worst part, it gets easier from now!!

I also noticed when I quit that hangovers were not so bad, your body doesnt have as many toxins to clear I guess.

Stay strong, it gets easier, and its wonderful to be free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If you're having the glass of wine at home, instead of a pub, you'll lack the desire induced by seeing/hearing others going for a smoke in herd-like manner.

aloyisious wrote: »

If you're having the glass of wine at home, instead of a pub, you'll lack the desire induced by seeing/hearing others going for a smoke in herd-like manner.
    My husband smokes so had to resist going out the back with him, but I did it! Feeling better now already, no going back!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

My husband smokes so had to resist going out the back with him, but I did it! Feeling better now already, no going back!

I will be two years off the evils tomorrow, and my husband is still puffing away (in the house as well!). It made giving up more challenging, but it is definitely do-able.

I make no apologies for spending cig money entirely on myself! The tenner I was spending every day quickly adds up. I just booked a trip to Venice on the Orient express that was obscenely expensive but something I always wanted to do. Can do it now thanks to not smoking!!:D

On day 5 now. Yesterday was tough but got through it. Wife smokes outside so U have to ignore the temptation. Getting there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Went cold turkey about twenty years ago, but be warned I still go looking for them and I believe I could be back on the cursed things in no time flat if I don't keep my guard up.

Don't forget, once hooked, you are hooked for life ~ I don't keep a record of my abstinence because I soon start craving again ~ good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Almost a year off them - best thing you'll ever do :):):)

Get straight into walking / running to tackle the spread and also to have something else to concentrate on

Keep Busy - I spent the first couple of weeks on this forum & knitting!

Don't convince yourself that its just one cigarette..... I think even now if I had one - I would be back on 20 a day by tomorrow

Keep telling yourself all the reason why you're quitting, money, health, family ect

Get yourself something with your savings - I saved over 150 euro in two weeks so I went out an bought myself a new GHD just to treat myself and I didn't feel so sorry for myself anymore :D

Love2love wrote: »
    Get yourself something with your savings - I saved over 150 euro in two weeks so I went out an bought myself a new GHD just to treat myself and I didn't feel so sorry for myself anymore :D

This for anyone who is quitting is a good incentive. I bought an iPod,T.V,Bike a Laptop and got my teeth sorted. I would use the money I saved at the end of each month to buy myself something nice or when I was feeling the urge for a smoke instead of buying a pack I would buy myself that gift and go home and play with it. The craving soon went away.

I also have used lollipops when I get a craving as it has the same hand to mouth movements.

I am one year and fives days free of them now. I personally like to keep track of every day minute and second I have been free and feel the pride in myself for staying off them.

Best of luck to you all giving up.

Well I went out last night with a gang of smokers and did not have one! Am delighted with myself, drank far less too I must have been drinking quicker when I was smoking. That is def it now, was nervous about last night but if I got through that then I have no excuse for the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I quit on the 1st of November. I'm ashamed to admit I smoked all through my pregnancy and only quit because I ended up with pneumonia on a nebuliser the day my baby was born. The doctor told me my lungs are ruined ( I'm only 23 ).

Bit of a wake up call alright! I'm using the gum and so far so good.

• Advertisement

Kaylami wrote: »
    I quit on the 1st of November. I'm ashamed to admit I smoked all through my pregnancy and only quit because I ended up with pneumonia on a nebuliser the day my baby was born. The doctor told me my lungs are ruined ( I'm only 23 ).

Bit of a wake up call alright! I'm using the gum and so far so good.

Wow, thats awful. Awful that the power of the horrible drug could have you that hooked!! At least youre off them now, well done, Im sure given your age that your lungs will make a good recovery, they do self heal to a degree. And at least your child wont grow up seeing you smoke so may be less likely to take it up themselves.

Well done to you and keep it up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Well done to all for quitting. I find that the longer I'm off them is a further incentive to not go back on them, I'm so stubborn that I wouldn't give nicotine the satisfaction of having that hold over me ever again.

Eating rings around myself, but hopefully with how active I am I won't notice it too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

Hi All, This is my 8th day off the smokes and at the moment I think things are going really well for me this time around. I've tried to quit smoking about 6 times over the years since I started smoking, I'm 35 and started smoking when I was 17. This is the first time Iv used NRT and it is helping me a lot, I am using the 2mg Lozenges. Already I am feeling the benefits from not smoking, I feel full of energy and my chest feels so clear, normally I always feel a bit flemy and every morning I would cough my guts out, haven't had that in 5 days. Hope I can do it this time but feel a lot more positive about quitting now than any other time. If anyone else is having a hard time getting off the sigs try and stay positive, the cravings will pass with time, belive me you will be glad you did. Stay Strong;)

8 days off as well not missing them as much as I thought. Good luck to everyone.

8 days myself and finding it easy, wont be too cocky though. walking in the evenings is great

i havent slept properly since last year though, is anyone else finding their sleep pattern messed up?

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

I'm off them since Sarurday at 5pm. Went to Allen Carrs Easy Way. Have to say I highly recommend it. It is the most confident I have ever been giving them up. They set you up with a total different mondset and (so far) it's been quite easy(don't want to jinx it). It's €250 which is expensive but I was spending €300ish on the fags a month, so small price to pay.

Here's to a new non-smoking life!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

8 days myself and finding it easy, wont be too cocky though. walking in the evenings is great

i havent slept properly since last year though, is anyone else finding their sleep pattern messed up?
    Well done.

I also found my sleep extremely messed up. I was waking up an hour or two before my alarm was due every morning. I'm off them 7 weeks now and sleep has returned to normal over the last week or two.

Don't be tempted to smoke if you are finding it 'easy'. It's a trick your brain plays on you. I can assure you you won't find it as easy to quit the next time. I've fallen into that trap before.

Day 9, Have to agree my sleep is all over the place at the moment, but I wont let it bother me enough to go back on the smokes. Im finding my brain is playing tricks on me all the time as well, trying to fool myself into having a smoke or just a drag. Nicotine is the Devil !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Day 9, Have to agree my sleep is all over the place at the moment, but I wont let it bother me enough to go back on the smokes. Im finding my brain is playing tricks on me all the time as well, trying to fool myself into having a smoke or just a drag. Nicotine is the Devil !

You need to drive a stake right through the heart of the Devil.

And the good news is,now you can afford to buy it:D

Well done and keep strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLbQfMmrISE

This is a very motivating video about quitting smoking timeline!

Day 11, Still going strong. Had some cravings last night but managed to get through them, have a chesty cough since yesterday, spitting up all sorts of crap. Sense of smell and taste have improved dramatically in the last few days, going for a jog later on so I think I'll reward myself afterward with an Indian. Happy Days :):);):)

• Advertisement

13 days off and feeling ok despite a chest cough. Odd craving but it goes. Hope everyone going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭south

16 days today :) All going well so far. i spend most of my day in a truck where 50% of the time the person next to me is going to be smoking so i was expecting it to be tough but 16 days in and all is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Many years ago as a truck driver I used to give this woman a lift.The minute she was in she'd light up a cigerette I responded by letting down the window and therefore letting the breeze over to her.She would look over to me as if I had two heads on me and I hadn't the guts to tell her not to to smoke. I think she never discovered why I put down the window when she smoked

Two weeks in and still off them! Am delighted and my husband has been great, was really craving one at the weekend but he would not let me have one (he smokes). Am exercising every day and feel great, glad to see so many people staying off them too. Am a non smoking convert, there is none so pure as they say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

2 Years off them last week. Never ever looked back. Ran my first Dublin marathon in 2012 in 3hrs58mins and am still running at least 3 days a week with a bunch of like minded people of all sorts. My wife will be of them 2 years this week and she started running as well and she is now also doing circuits.

The running really helped me to focus on something else but the cigarettes, and as you get healthier because of it, the last thing you want to do is smoke, the brain just no longer sees the point in smoking I think and the little green guy up there will move out...

To all new ex-smokers, whether you are off them 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week or 1 month, stick with it, it will be the best decision you have ever made! It completely changed our lives :D

3 weeks today, yay!! Am delighted, it is a bit difficult when having a glass of wine but am doing it and feel so much better. Honestly have no idea now why I stayed smoking so long, the fact that it is cold outside is making it easier as who wants to go out for a fag in this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

5 years on January 1st.

Barely give it any thought anymore. And I was a "confirmed" smoker.

It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Will be a year off them on Sunday:D;):p:):rolleyes::o:mad::(:eek::cool::P:confused: (Have had all these emotions!!!)
    On January 27th last year I bought my last 20 pack. I put it them in the cupboard and kept them there - just in case!!!
    On this Sunday, January 27th, I am going to finally take them out and dump them - it will be my final step and a big event for me!!!

To those of you who are just starting out - please keep going. It honestly is worth it. I never thought I'd succeed - maybe that's why I did.

22 days still going strong Congrats to all still going, hope it is getting easier for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sarahinnavan

I've just completed my first 7 days as a non smoker. I had been been smoking for 19 years. I'm feeling grand so far. Last night I had my first glass of wine since I quit. I thought that it would be harder, but it wasn't too bad. When I did get the cravings, I took out the knitting needles! I've also found playing a game on the phone works as a good distraction when the cravings hit. Best of luck everyone. Keep it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement