Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Mink wrote: »
    So I've run out of filter/cartomisers for my e cig and waiting on a delivery that may still not have arrived to the house today. Can't get out to the places that sell them.

It's times like this I wish I had just given up cold turkey rather than thinking about the alternatives to the e cig!

You could go to a garage and buy a disposable if you are really stuck. What type of e-cig do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 copea2

Ok so I have made it to day 5. That was my first big goal so very happy. Still finding the evenings very hard though. Its tough just watching TV and trying to not think about smoking - so much so that I find im just going to bed early to avoid sitting there. Hopefully that will go next week. I have gone walking in the evenings as well and thats helped.

Going to a show and dinner/drinks tonight so thats the first test - although its all non-smokers this evening so that might make it a bit easier.

Im sad to say that im kind of dreading the long weekend ( never said that before!) In work its been fine but 3 days at home?? Think Ill just try and get out walking etc as much as can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's been six months since I stopped smoking a pack every day.

I must admit that I have had a few cigarettes on nights out but never more than one and when this happens, I just don't get the buzz I used to off them. That said, that has only happened about four times.

Most of the time, smoking doesn't cross my mind. Only when I see people smoking or when I'm in a situation where I would have had a smoke, does the craving start. However, it usually passes and apart from the few incidents above, I've got through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

You could go to a garage and buy a disposable if you are really stuck. What type of e-cig do you use?

I use those VIP ones that you have to order or get at a stand. Didn't know you could get disposable types at garage, will keep that in mind if I'm stuck.

20 days off the fags now! Feels like months!

Mink wrote: »
    I use those VIP ones that you have to order or get at a stand. Didn't know you could get disposable types at garage, will keep that in mind if I'm stuck.

20 days off the fags now! Feels like months!

Nice one, you're over the first hump! The time will drag less over time.
    Have you tried a vaporizer? You can refill them and it works out really cheap. about €3 a week. Theres a boards forum here dedicated to them.

I'm 3 Months in now myself. The best I have ever done. Im getting to the stage where I dont think about smoking very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 EamonnHolt

Smoked for 9 years and went cold turkey about 5 years ago. It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever done.

The one thing you need is to be as stubborn as hell. 1 sneaky smoke will turn into 2 which will put you back on them.

Fair play to everyone on here that has given up!

It does feel good up in the 'quitters ivory tower' looking down on the rest doesn't it? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

9 weeks and im struggling badly this week.

ive gone from not thinking about them at all and feeling good in myself- to feeling narky and thinking about buying them..the e-cig doesnt do what it was doing for me for a few weeks..the feeling is horrible now,i feel like a walking timebomb waiting to explode:o..had a feeling it was all going a bit to easy for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

ive gone from not thinking about them at all and feeling good in myself- to feeling narky and thinking about buying them..the e-cig doesnt do what it was doing for me for a few weeks..the feeling is horrible now,i feel like a walking timebomb waiting to explode:o..had a feeling it was all going a bit to easy for a few weeks.

Dude 9 weeks...... 9 weeks! 9 weeks is fantastic, why not look at it as the massive milestone it is you've done fantastic. Maybe start getting into your head to kick the e cigs to the kerb. Do you really want to go back to those filthy things?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Dude 9 weeks...... 9 weeks! 9 weeks is fantastic, why not look at it as the massive milestone it is you've done fantastic. Maybe start getting into your head to kick the e cigs to the kerb. Do you really want to go back to those filthy things?

no..id be disgusted with myself if i want back on them after getting to this stage..no chance i can kick the e-cig yet..i tried cutting the nicotine level this week hence the change in me i think..

im going out to pound the road shortly and have a chat with myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sonoftom

I am off them just over 4 years now and from 60 a day went cold turkey. I remember reading at the time that for the first 6 weeks the reserves of nicotine stored in the system are being gradually used up. After the initial withdrawal this is the next big and FINAL hurdle and lasts usually for 4 weeks and you are 75% through it already. One more week to go and you are facing into the first day of your new life. cigarette and nicotine free. Hang on in there; believe me it will be well worth it. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

According to my App I am now

36 days smoke free
    I have avoided 541 fags....
    Saved myself 259.68 ( its less though as I spend 10e a week on ecigs )
    Time Saved 2 days..

Still can't go a day without my nicotine hit from a ecig though and feel I have not really kicked the habit because of this

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Approx 6 months off.

Have tried champix, alan carr and e fags over the past few years and this is the longest I've ever gone. Don't know what was different this time but it feels permanent. Think having read Alan Carr and understanding smoking psychology has really been the key to it all. Also champix got me through the initial week, stopped due to side effects.

I don't avoid cigarettes, nights out I hang out with the smokers if my mates are going to the smoking area. Feel this is important, would feel like I was missing out if I didnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

no..id be disgusted with myself if i want back on them after getting to this stage..no chance i can kick the e-cig yet..i tried cutting the nicotine level this week hence the change in me i think..

im going out to pound the road shortly and have a chat with myself:D
    so how did it go for you? I dropped my nic levels too soon too and had a bit of a rough time of it for a week or so, back on 24 mg and no problem at all, switching to 12mg at times instead of straight down to it.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    so how did it go for you? I dropped my nic levels too soon too and had a bit of a rough time of it for a week or so, back on 24 mg and no problem at all, switching to 12mg at times instead of straight down to it.

still going good..didnt cave and done what you done and went back to the 24mg.

have started to leave the e cig in my car when i go to work..have a puff before work at 8 and dont touch it again until my one oclock break and puff away all evening at home

instead of being happy with myself that im off the fags im beating myself up because of the e cig..in a way it feels like im not off them.yet i feel far more healthier and the chronic smokers cough i had is gone.

still going good..didnt cave and done what you done and went back to the 24mg.

have started to leave the e cig in my car when i go to work..have a puff before work at 8 and dont touch it again until my one oclock break and puff away all evening at home

instead of being happy with myself that im off the fags im beating myself up because of the e cig..in a way it feels like im not off them.yet i feel far more healthier and the chronic smokers cough i had is gone.
    Good for you :) I think you are being hard on yourself tbh 9 weeks is not a long time....I'm about nine weeks myself and have only just discovered that I can go for hours without having a vape and I'm absolutely delighted as I had pretty much resolved myself to being an e-smoker for the rest of my life.....

I think give it a year on e-cigs and congratulate yourself on quitting, it is not the e-cig alone that gets us off the cigarettes, it takes willpower too.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Good for you :) I think you are being hard on yourself tbh 9 weeks is not a long time....I'm about nine weeks myself and have only just discovered that I can go for hours without having a vape and I'm absolutely delighted as I had pretty much resolved myself to being an e-smoker for the rest of my life.....

I think give it a year on e-cigs and congratulate yourself on quitting, it is not the e-cig alone that gets us off the cigarettes, it takes willpower too.

yeah i know bud.

we shall keep up the good fight:D

The wine will wash the nicotine out of your system so have the e-cigs at the ready, make sure you have spares of everything, batteries, liquid, whatever you are using. I quit too because of the effect it was having on my lungs.....feel great now 9ish weeks on e-cigs....sense of smell, taste returned and smokers cough completely gone.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Heading into my 11th week today. Dreamt I smoked a fag last night, woke up feeling a bit bad about it :rolleyes:

Heading into my 11th week today. Dreamt I smoked a fag last night, woke up feeling a bit bad about it :rolleyes:

Thant happened to me too! :D

Im 14 or 15 weeks in now. Ive lost track! Ill have to check my app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm coming up to two years off them and last week I had the most vivid dream so much so when I got up I searched the house to make sure I didn't smoke.

That is the first time in about a year that I had dreamt about them.

• Advertisement

I'm coming up to two years off them and last week I had the most vivid dream so much so when I got up I searched the house to make sure I didn't smoke.

That is the first time in about a year that I had dreamt about them.
    Did same last night, still not sure if I sleep walked and had one of OH's cigs......:D

Smoked my last one on 25 th august just past, 80 days according to my app, thereabouts.

No withdrawals at all, none. No coughing, no sickness, nothing. Was expecting some, don't understand it really.
    I'm 38, smoked since I was 12, apart from 2 years off them few years ago.
    Thus time is completely different, last time was hard. This time I just stopped, just like that, don't want one, don't miss them, delighted I don't smoke.
    If I can, anyone can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Hi everyone. I had smoked from the time I was 14 and am 45 now. Have given up numerous times over the years, but three years ago gave them up after getting pneumonia and a lung infection. I will never forget how sick I was at the time. Lately tho, I have started have a fag when I am drinking.I know the answer is to not drink, but easier said than done!
    Feeling really ****ty at the moment!

biddy21 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I had smoked from the time I was 14 and am 45 now. Have given up numerous times over the years, but three years ago gave them up after getting pneumonia and a lung infection. I will never forget how sick I was at the time. Lately tho, I have started have a fag when I am drinking.I know the answer is to not drink, but easier said than done!
    Feeling really ****ty at the moment!

Have you tried using a Vapourizer or ecig when you are smoking? It might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

No I havent, because I will say I am not going to smoke, and then after a few drinks the will power waines and I give in:(

No harm in trying. It feels the same as smoking! I used them for the first night out since I gave up. Worked a charm.

Well worth a try, I always gave in to the cigarettes when I had a few drinks on board......."just the one" always ended up the same :(

The e-cig does the trick now regardless of how long the night is though I am making sure to have spare one with me in case of accidents and spare liquid too.

Whatever works is worth a try :)

Edit: For the first time really feel that I can give up the ecig too if I want to, which is not something I had reckoned when I went onto it.......but baby steps....another while on the ecig and see how we go then.....forever optimistic.....but without a smokers cough and that damm smell of stale smoke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Really disappointed in myself as I didn't stick to my quit date. Feel like everytime I get myself head strong for it something ALWAYS comes up! I know I shouldn't be using this as an excuse but it's just so easy to light up.

My chest is really bad atm and this is just irritating me knowing that I am doing it to myself, and I'm breathing like a 70 year old and I'm only 23.

Going to re try the Allen Carr book again and try again.

Sorry for the bit of a rant, just had to get it out of me

Don't worry about it. You only fail if you stop trying. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

33 days off them now with two slip ups when i was hammered :(. but doing well, considering im going through alot of personal stress at the moment. but nothing will get me back smoking .

Congrats to all who have took the step to quit :D

Advertisement