Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Just thought Id pop in, 2 years and just over 2 months off them now.

Ever since I quit I never felt I missed anything, i was always just delighted I was free of being a smoker.

Still feel that way. I can sit with a smoker and it doesnt bother me in the slightest except to be glad I dont need to to it anymore.

It often surprises me to hear people say that they still have cravings or still miss them - I never felt that way, literally from day 1 I was just glad to be free.

Best of luck and continuing good luck to everyone else, it really is the best thing you can do for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭digit1

22 months off here and still going strong. Helped a work mate also get off them and he is 12 months off next week. I don't miss them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

6 months down! Absolutely delighted. This is my 3rd attempt and I really feel like I will never smoke again. To anybody struggling through the first months like I have been and still do occasionally, hang in there. It is definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I'm now off cigarettes 34 days and 17 hours (Info thanks for MyLastCigarette App!), have apparently saved $416 (I live in Oz) and I have added just over 2.5 days to my life expectancy.

I gave up twice in the last 2 years, once for 6 months, then for 4 months but this is the first time I am really intend on staying off them this time and I have coincided it with the start of my football pre-season.

So far have only been out boozing once and I got through it fine. My fitness has improved no end and I am starting overtake people in running drills that I have no busines to overtake and to top it all off we done a CrossFit session last night where I finished 1st out of 18 of us on the team. This is what will keep me motivated and I need to remember this if someone offers me a cigarette around that illusive 7 month mark onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Vizzy

For all you guys and gals that have decided to quit today, I am proud to announce that I am 2 years off the weed as of 6.00pm today.
    It wasn't Ash Wednesday when I decided to quit but it is kind of apt that today is "National No Smoking Day".

Quit recap on my story;
    I had been smoking 20+ a day for 30 years.
    Had been wanting to give them up for years.
    Was going on a holiday to Australia and had decided I would give them up when I got back.
    Had my holiday, had a ball.
    Brought back 600 cigs and smoked them in about a fortnight(Don't ask)
    So at 6.00pm,two years ago I smoked my last cig.I had armed myself with Nicorette tabs to act as a crutch but I tried one of them and I thought I was after injecting nicotine straight to the vein.
    So I went cold turkey, no patches, no Alan Carr, no E-cig.
    (I'm saying this as a boast, just I'm just pointing out what suited me)

Then the fun began;
    Irregular sleep, bleeding gums, bad humour etc, but after the first week I knew I was on a winner.
    Craving subsided, sleep returned to normal and I started to smell and taste thing again for the first time in 30 years. I went back to taking proper exercise again and the results have been astounding for me since.
    Never dreamt of giving up drink or staying away from pubs - reason ? - because I had enough to be torturing myself by giving up smoking besides worrying about anything else.
    This won't suit a lot of people(maybe most people) but it suited me so that's what I did.
    I loved the smell of a freshly lit cig and I still do,2 years on.

If I was to give one piece of advice(and only one) it would be to be honest with yourself and decide if you want to give up cigarettes and I mean really want to give them up. If you can do this and answer "Yes" ,you are a long way down the road to quitting.
    If you don't really want to give them up, they will play every trick on your body and your mind and you will probably fail and I firmly believe that it will do you more harm when you next decide to quit.

This is very doable guys,it's not easy,but very doable just the same.

I can only wish ye luck and encouragement-the rest is up to you.

Best of luck and hang tough,you can do it:)

Viz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

1 year ago today I smoked my last cigarette.

I was 28 but had smoked my first fag at 11 and been a 15-a-day smoker for 10 years so I wasnt the heaviest smoker, but I was certainly addicted.

I went cold turkey myself. It was the only way it'd work for me. I had tried before with the e-cigarette and trying to wean myself off but it was too hard. But after a hard weekend on the sauce in Liverpool my body finally told me to stop. I had smoked around 80 fags over the couple of days and my lungs were actually sore and almost stinging, and I got a bit of a fright if I'm honest.

After that I must say it wasn't too bad - the fact that I got a fright helped my determination. The cravings would (and still do) kick in after a big meal or a few pints, but they pass quicker with each week that goes by. I found initially that it actually helped to join the lads in the smoking area when out rather than sit inside minding the jackets, it was a mental thing that reassured me that I wasn't missing anything. Now it doesn't really occur to me to go out, the odd time, maybe.

I'm not saying its easy. Initially you're cranky, your skin goes to **** from the toxins exiting your body, you develop a horrible cough, you gain weight, coffee and tea lose their appeal somewhat and you miss the social side of it. But the benefits so outweigh these downsides. Straight away you have more money in your pocket. After a couple of weeks you start to notice climbing the stairs doesn't affect you like it used to. Your sense of taste and smell will improve too. The cough goes, the skin clears up. People don't gag at the smell of stale smoke off of you when you're just in from a fag. Your clothes don't smell like stale smoke either. Your car will thank you too. And if you want, you'll lose the weight through the exercise it was so much harder to do when you were smoking.

As Vizzy says above, you have to want to give up. If you just feel like you should, you will probably fail.

I have to say I feel so much healthier and better about myself 1 year on. I still miss them from time to time, but its the best thing I ever did. I too still enjoy the smell of a freshly lit cigarette I must say, but I'm happy to say thats as far as it goes. And I will never be one of those holier-than-thou ex-smokers. Each to their own. But if you want to try it, it can be done :)

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Off them 2 months today, actually off cigarettes over 3 years but I began smoking tip cigars.
    Used to buy a pack of 5 Adigo Tip cigars daily, I'd smoke half at a time, get my hit then top it.
    2 Months ago I was on my last one & i got that awful taste in my mouth like smoking when you have the flu.
    If I feel the urge coming back I just remind myself of that taste & the longing disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 loubella

Allen Car smoking clinic is the only way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

loubella wrote: »
    Allen Car smoking clinic is the only way

It's great that it worked for you, but you can't really say it's the only way when plenty.of people give up.every day using different methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

232 days accoring to my stop smoking app. I find the app a nice way to remind me how far I've come in those moments of doubt.

I have this 'cool' line for my own stop smoking campaign....'you only have to give up one cigarette to stop smoking, your next one'....I'm just to lazy to pad out a book around that the line. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

I am nearly 5 months of the evil ciggies.

Went to a concert at the O2 late last year and after a few pints, went outside the hotel and had 2 ciggies left. Smoked one and threw the other away and decided to give it a go from then. After a session I usually wouldn't smoke for a day so it was a start.

I've tried before and gotten to a few weeks and then cracked, but something felt slightly different this time. I would wake up and just say to myself 'today I'm not going to smoke'. I told myself that these things were not going to rule me, I was in control. That feeling has remained thank god. I can be around smokers and not feel the urge. I'm not claiming a big fix, but it has worked so far for me.

I would also say, I've never been a power of the mind type but on this occasion it would appear that it has helped me.

Whatever works for you, try it, take it, grasp it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Only 3 weeks off them :o It's been an on and off struggle the past year but this is the longest I've gone without one! I've also managed to go drinking (heavily) twice and NOT smoke, which, as drinkers will know, is a great achievement :D Let's hope I can keep this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Only 3 weeks off them :o It's been an on and off struggle the past year but this is the longest I've gone without one! I've also managed to go drinking (heavily) twice and NOT smoke, which, as drinkers will know, is a great achievement :D Let's hope I can keep this up!

Keep up the good work, keep setting milestones a month, two months and so on. I'm 15 months off them now and so over the moon, bought a 131 car last week and paying it off with the money i'm not smoking, i never had money to spare before and always drove something fit for the scrapheap so rewards really help as an incentive too. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Off them 100% for 23 days and 12 hrs (according to an app on on my phone :P)

Just kinda happened for me. No books or psyching myself up, no acupuncture or hypnotherapy mumbo jumbo. Just a wonderful vaping tank.

I had an ecig for the last year, just for when in bed really and not arsed getting up for a puff. But I didnt feel it was powerful enough for completely substituting the tobacco.

So when I got my tank, boom. No cigs at all for over 3 weeks, and doing well.

Have been tipsy a few times, and not given in.

The smell of smoke off of people now makes me gag a bit!

---

Well done everybody, keep it up. If you feel like you could slip, just look at all the shriveled up slaves out there, sucking on their fags and coughing their guts up while hoping it's not the first signs of emphysema....Puts me right off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 copea2

So happy to say I'm 6 months off them today! I gave up cold turkey and just used a cheap cig for the first couple of days.

I took up running and am now nearly up to 5k, and I'm doing the women's mini marathon and hoping to jog some of it, which probably would have been impossible 6 months ago.

The sense of freedom now to be able to do and go wherever you want without having to think 'when can I have a smoke' is amazing.

At the start I used to check this board every day and found all the posts a great help, though I just look at it now the odd time :)

Well done to everyone giving up and to those just thinking off it, definitely try it. If it doesn't work the first time just keep trying .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Off them 2 years this Weekend thanks to Champix

That's:

14,710 cigarettes not smoked.
    4 months added to my life expectancy.
    Risk of stroke cut in half.

And drum roll....€7,000 not spent on Cigarettes.

Can't say I've been an angel and never tried a cigarette again after giving up as there was 3 different nights I can recall that I inhaled(alcohol involved every time), I felt disgusted with myself and it tasted so horrible the last time I know now ill never be a nicotine addict again.

A few of my friends were so amazed I managed to give up they went on the champix nearly straight after me.
    Not only will I hopefully live a little longer but so will 4 of my friends who are all still off them.

Thanks to the people here on boards for their inspiration and Pfizer for the helping hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Rabid50

Over 90 days smoke free using Nicabate minis, then the shops ran out, or nearly and now I am on another brand of lozenge only 2m now. Still going. I think I have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Is anyone quitting with an ecig? I'm using one for a week now and so far it's working great. This is the longest I've ever gone without a normal smoke. I'm not even craving one! I don't know how good they are for you but they can't be any worse than cigarettes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

6 years this summer, time flew and I have some money in my pocket!

Keep going everyone who's trying to kick the habit, every minute, hour, day without the cigs is a victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭greasepalm

no idea how long but when they reached 50p finished/stopped buying them so could not smoke them =cold turkey ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,321 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is anyone quitting with an ecig? I'm using one for a week now and so far it's working great. This is the longest I've ever gone without a normal smoke. I'm not even craving one! I don't know how good they are for you but they can't be any worse than cigarettes!

I have yet to see someone beat a nicotine addiction with nicotine. It's like trying to cure alcoholism with vodka.
    Cigs/eCigs there all nicotine delivery devices, your not or never were addicted to smoking tobacco your addicted to nicotine, if you can accept that you'll see how pointless eCigs are.

I wish you the best in giving up but you'll still more than likely be using them in 12mts time like a lot of the people in the vaping forum.
    There's other methods out there that will give you a final cure that are well worth trying, eCigs if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Off then nearly 2 years now. Was on and off them for 7 and 9 months in the 2 years running up to that. Used the quitline and 2 sessions of acupuncture.

The biggest difference for me is time. I have way more time in my day. I also have more energy and I am fitter and thinner than when I stopped.

Best if luck to everyone. It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Everyone I know who has used e-cigs has ultimately ended up smoking normal cigarettes again. You are still taking in nicotine, despite the fact that it's nicotine addiction you're trying to beat. It doesn't make sense to me. Also just because they're not worse than cigarettes doesn't mean they're good for you! There has been no proof that they're bad for you, similarily there's no proof that they're NOT bad for you. IMO they're a quitters way of still smoking without "officially" smoking. I would stay away from them but that's just me!

Been cold turkey for 6 weeks now bar 1 cigarette on a mad night out about 2 weeks ago, it is tough but definitely doable! Just never give up giving up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

I gave up using an ecig as a stepping stone to wean myself off the tailor mades.

I started by replacing some of the tailor mades I smoked throughout the day with the ecig.
    After about 10 days of this I went home with only two cigs left. I decided that night to finish them off and to solely use the the ecig from then on. Which I did for about another 12 days.

Towards the end of the 12 days I just found myself using the ecig less and less - infact I never finished the ecig and it lay around for about 3 months.

I have had the odd craving now and then, but absolutely no desire to go and buy a packet.

I will argue with people until I am blue in the face - the ecig can be used as an aid to quit cigarettes - IF THE PERSON WANTS TO QUIT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!

It does take willpower to not give in and the desire to give up in the first place.

I think the problem is that e-cigs are often marketed as an ALTERNATIVE to cigarettes - not as a tool to aid you in stopping smoking. Get that mindset out of your head in the first place and using e-cigs and quitting smoking may be easier to do.

Good luck and well done to all those who have quit / planned to quit - I have been off them since 30 Jan 2013 - hurrah! I am not going to get that monkey back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CDCTips

Hello all:

Just wanted to post on here in case there's any of you who would like to submit to be considered.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) Tips from Former Smokers Ad Campaign is looking for candidates who are ex-smokers and suffer smoking-related illnesses. This is a paid position. The campaign pays $2,500 + Travel for those who are selected.

If you Google "CDC TIPS CAMPAIGN" you will find our our links and webpages with our past years ads and the results that our campaigns have had.

We're looking for ex-smokers of all ethnicities who suffer from illnesses as a result of their smoking.

These are the illnesses we're looking for this year. Ex-Smoker candidates with:

* COLORECTAL CANCER due to smoking?
    * MACULAR DEGENERATION due to smoking?

We are also looking for ex-smokers who:

* Used CIGARS WITH CIGARETTES or used CIGARILLOS OR LITTLE CIGARS alone or with CIGARETTES because you thought cigars, cigarillos and little cigars were healthier, and were diagnosed with a SERIOUS HEALTH CONDITION while smoking.
    * For at least a year, used E-CIGARETTES or SMOKELESS TOBACCO while continuing to smoke some cigarettes; and
    * Thought using E-CIGARETTES or SMOKELESS TOBACCO to cut back on some cigarettes would be good for your health; and
    * Despite cutting back, you were later diagnosed with a serious health condition.

We appreciate any help you can provide in spreading the word. Maybe you or someone you know qualifies and would like to submit for consideration.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks so much!

Mimi Webb Miller Casting
    CDC Tips from Former Smokers Casting
    Email us: CDCTips[at]gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bobbyboy72

I recently gave up the dreaded fags and am trying to get the wife to quit now.
    any ideas on how to make her want to quit?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭driftkingire

bobbyboy72 wrote: »
    I recently gave up the dreaded fags and am trying to get the wife to quit now.
    any ideas on how to make her want to quit?
    ive been off the fags for 2 years now thanks in no small part to electronic cigarettes. i think there definitley worth a try! worked for me anyway. there's loads of different strengths and flavors of liguid so keep trying untill she finds one she likes!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

I've been smoking since I was 16, I'm now coming up on 46. I gave them up for 8 months once and in a moment of madness was hooked again. I need to do it again, just can't get myself in the right space to be positive that I need to or must do it. I just can't set the date. I'll always say nxt Monday etc. Can't get past that but need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭driftkingire

maude there will never be a right time to do it. you just have to get up one morning and say im going to do it and thats it.
    there will always be an excuse to put it on the long finger but the longer you leave it the harder it is to do it. dont think about it, just do it!. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Day 5.
    I smoked the last fag late on Friday evening - no probs on Sat/Sun/Mon.
    Tuesday - in work - now that did test me.
    Had dreams last night about smoking, and today was equally as difficult.
    Very nearly went to the shops to buy a pack.

Advertisement