Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

Congratulations susan on your deciding to cut free from the evil fags, and sticking with it. It was great to hear you'd been helped by reading the thread. I have a little girl too, and she is one of the reasons I'm determined to not go back this time.

Thanks Shinshin for the clear thinking as ever.

I seem to have turned into an advert for another site - here's a link for some reading that's helped lift me over the weekend's challenges... http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/24855/First-and-Last-Quit?page=1

Keep it goin' y'all...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi Shinshin and thanks Dalan.

Glad the Champix is working for you too Shinshin. Well done on a huge achievement!

Dalan, that Freedom site is brilliant. I can really identify with what those quitters are going through. I have had at least 3 dreams where I smoked a cigarette and was disgusted with myself. What a relief to wake up and discover I hadn't!

Big test tonight. Going for a drink and then dinner with my husband for the first time since I quit. We will be in the smokers' section for the drink, as usual, as I can't deprive him of his ciggies. Gotta stay strong!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hey Stella. I'm off just over two months now. No patches or anything.

The key is to identify what makes you smoke and at what specific time of the day.

By identifying your "triggers" you can change your routine. For me, in the morning, I used to always just get up and smoke with a cup of coffee.

After dinner I'd usually have tea/coffee and a smoke but I changed that around and usually just have a herbal tea or something like that to try something different and get out of my usual habit.

Think of it as one day at a time. Stay strong. Seriously, it can be done.

I did/am doing it cold turkey.

G'luck.

:D - I love this post - change routine, triggers etc - so full of common sense (like the ideal weight loss book - eat healthy and exercise more - you will lose weight)

- I'm 3 days off the smokes now and I've realised I'm not gagging for a fag - I'm gagging for the coffee - but if I have the coffee I'm going to have a fag - so I'm taking the advice here and having a herbal tea

Talk soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

Hey guys,

How we all doing this week? Molly....you've gone quiet?

Well, today is 4 weeks 2 days or 30 days smoke free :)
    1 month mark tomorrow and I cant believe how quickly it's gone. Have a bad head cold at the moment and can't figure out how I used to smoke my way through them!!! The things we do for cigarettes eh?

Well, hope we all doing well
    S x

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Three weeks today! Had a bit of a rough week withdrawals wise but think i'm over the hump now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Congrats everyone. I feel like I am over the hump, but it is still a very
    Dangerous time. I can go hours without thinking about a fag.
    And than bang the mental addiction is back.

Have to keep them gloves up, being mindful of the highs as well
    As the lows.

Suck that oxygen in to your lungs and know its good to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Well done Susan ur going great. We all know how hard it is, hopefully it gets better for us all soon, best of luck and keep posting. love de way u rewarded urself

Shinshin14 wrote: »
    Hi Gang

Twenty nine day off the fags with the help of Champix and your postings plus my own determination to quit for good this time. I am going to do the three months on Champex as I feel I need this time to make changes to my lifesytle and change my attitude to smoking. For thirty five years I have programmed my subconscious mind take time for me to change this thought process.

When I am thinking rationally I can see through the brainwashing but all too many times in the past when the power of association is very strong or I am under stress rational thinking has gone out the window and I allowed the old brainwashing to lead me back to the trap again.
    So now I imagine a past trigger or triggers that led me to take a cigarette after quitting and plan how to deal with it without falling into the nicotine trap again. I then compare the results of my decision Whether I smoke or overcome the situation without smoking. This re-enforces in my mind that dealing with the event / problem or situation is the only option for me - the alternative is detremental to me and to all apsects of my life.

The past 29 days have been the happiest for me. I have a new zest for life, taking more care of my appearance, eating healthier and running and walking. My confidence in myself and my ability to succeed has increased. I am not getting too cocky and know that I am still an addict psycholgiocally if not physically and will take it one day at a time. Every day we stay smokefree is another step in quitting for good.

Went to Dublin for a bit of retail therapy today. Didn't go overboard and have not put up any extra weight YET so felt pleased with my purchases.

Well done to everyone. I envy ye and your willpower to be able to do it cold turkey but it doesn't matter how we achieve our goal -its getting there that counts!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and will be in touch during the week. ;)
    Hi Shinshin ur doing brilliant well done, love to have ur determination ur so focus. keep it up

SnoozyS wrote: »
    Hey guys,

How we all doing this week? Molly....you've gone quiet?

Well, today is 4 weeks 2 days or 30 days smoke free :)
    1 month mark tomorrow and I cant believe how quickly it's gone. Have a bad head cold at the moment and can't figure out how I used to smoke my way through them!!! The things we do for cigarettes eh?

Well, hope we all doing well
    S x
    O i am still here Snoozy. well done 1 month being a non smoker.:)

Hi all
    Being busy past few days. doing a bit of reserch for my holiday to Kenya:).

Still smoke free soooooooooo hard but feck it not giving in to de evil ones again. I am geting mean now that de money is adding up haha :D not wasting me money on fags.
    have to keep up my determination

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Hi Molly, was wondering how you are doing! Great to hear your Kenya plans are coming along.

I survived the outside smoking area on sat night with my DH long enough to down one drink and for him to smoke 2 fags. He offered not to smoke, but I wanted to see how it felt to be there and not smoke. My head was bursting with the craving. Wanted to scream.:eek: But I DIDN'T give in to it! On day 25 now, nearing the one month mark. Trying to think of what way to spend the money on next week's treat!

Well done everyone for staying smoke-free. It's such a vicious addiction. Keep strong!

Fair Play to everybody - I love reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Anyone mind if I join in?

Day 2 today, I have been thinking of quitting for ages, but with the year I've had (my husband died in February '10) I just never seemed able. I decided to take the pressure off myself by just seeing how I got on without them for a few hours. I finished a pack on Monday night, and deliberately didn't buy any more yesterday, and hopefully won't today. I've to drive later - driving will be the crunch, the first thing I do when I get into the car is spark up.
    Anyway, I've a tough few weeks ahead of me (1st anniversary etc) so I'm not going to be tough on myself if I relapse. The thought of saving €2K -€3K a year is spurring me on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

My sincere sympathy to you on the death of your husband.
    Well done on taking the big step towards quitting - I'm still hovering on the edge. I know I have to but I just cant seem to take that final step. I read this thread every day and I find it nudging me in the right direction. They're a fabulous group of people on here.
    Don't put youself under too much pressure and I'm sure the people on here will be a huge support to you.
    Best of luck:)

Anyone mind if I join in?

Day 2 today, I have been thinking of quitting for ages, but with the year I've had (my husband died in February '10) I just never seemed able. I decided to take the pressure off myself by just seeing how I got on without them for a few hours. I finished a pack on Monday night, and deliberately didn't buy any more yesterday, and hopefully won't today. I've to drive later - driving will be the crunch, the first thing I do when I get into the car is spark up.
    Anyway, I've a tough few weeks ahead of me (1st anniversary etc) so I'm not going to be tough on myself if I relapse. The thought of saving €2K -€3K a year is spurring me on!
    Wellcome Doogieboogie
    So sorry to hear about your loss. I hope your doing ok.

One day at a time, and if u happen to relapse dont worry you can start again. keep posting,

Day three, and I've managed a cinema trip without the traditional spark up afterwards. I am seriously gagging for a smoke, but I'll keep going. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

I might as well get in on the fun, off them since Monday evening after reading Allen Carr. Not doing too badly so far.

I'd recommend reading his book because he makes you see quitting as a positive thing, any other time I tried to quit I saw it as a huge sacrifice and therefore didn't last very long.

I better not speak too soon, it hasn't been three days yet!

christy c wrote: »
    I better not speak too soon, it hasn't been three days yet!

Three days off the fags fair play to you - as far as I'm concerned I haven't given up the smokes - I've just chosen not to smoke (since Saturday). I have one of those personalities the minute I hear the words "you can't have" - I have to have.

I've recognized my "trigger points" - morning time when kids gone to school, in car (stuck in traffic or waiting for a train to pass by). I still haven't had a cup of coffee and am going down the herbal tea route as suggested by another poster here.

Well done to you and everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sahs1

One month on Sunday and I really can not believe it! I never thought of myself without a ciggy within a foot of me every waking moment....I love that the panic of running out is gone.......I love waking up in the morning and realising again that I quit!!! And don't need nor want them.....body is still having the odd flap but it passes so fast and the mental monkey on my back is very much dying.......:) I love that my birthday is coming up and the biggest present I ever wanted for the past 5 years or more was to quit......!

Keep it up everyone and be very proud! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'm kinda cheating. My initial plan was to give up completely but after 5days off them and a night out on the cards, I changed my mind and said I'd be a social smoker. So one night a week I smoke like a trooper when I'm downing pints. It's been over a month and no mid-week cravings but when Fri/Saturday comes...it's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

sahs1 wrote: »
    One month on Sunday and I really can not believe it! I never thought of myself without a ciggy within a foot of me every waking moment....I love that the panic of running out is gone.......I love waking up in the morning and realising again that I quit!!! And don't need nor want them.....body is still having the odd flap but it passes so fast and the mental monkey on my back is very much dying.......:) I love that my birthday is coming up and the biggest present I ever wanted for the past 5 years or more was to quit......!

Well done - I felt exactly like you and I had my 40th birthday without them!
    They no longer CONTROL me I DO!
    Keep up the great work everyone you will get there

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

sahs1 wrote: »

It's great to hear how your mental monkey's giving up the ghost. Well done on your first month - hope it's the first of many, for you and the rest of us kicking the habit here in .IE

Thanks navan for keeping a kindly eye on us here - appreciated!

(Quit: 26/12/10)

Snap sahs1,!
    One month on Sat for me. Agree with everything you said. Cant believe I got this far. The panic of going somewhere that you cant smoke is gone too.

Welcome Doogieboogie,
    you can be sure that everyone here is rooting for you. Well done on getting over the first three days. That is really hard!

Pappyodaniel, fair play to you if you can do that. If that was me, Id be out every night so I could smoke!

Welcome to the 'fun' christy c! ;)

Were waiting for you to join us too Shazanne!

Molly, dalan, deelite, and everyone else, keep it up! :D

Went for my consultation for a gastric band yesterday, they say they won't operate unless I'm 4 weeks smoke-free, so I have a very definite incentive not to smoke. This weekend will be a challenge, I've a night away, big group of people in a hotel, and I'm going out with my (chain-smoking) sister tonight!

I still have a scratchy cough and I'm still whistling/wheezing a little, but definitely not as much. I reaaally miss one after breakfast and while I'm in the car (same as deelite, as soon as the traffic stops, I normally light up!) but it's getting easier. I soon have to embark on a crazy pre-op liver-shrinking restrictive diet (don't ask!!) so that'll be a challenge - no food, no coffee, no smokes!

Keep it up folks x

(BTW - Am I the only masochist who reads the smoking forum?? Yes?!)

Wow Doogieboogie,

Sounds like you are taking on the world! Best of luck with everything.

And as for the smoking forum, ahem, another masochist here! :D Found it by accident, and I had a read of some of the posts. It was strange though thinking "I don't belong here!".

Good luck everyone for the weekend.

I don't know about taking on the world, but I've gotta take on my lardy ass :D

:D:D:D:D:D

Hi guys hows everyone getting on.

Went to pub sat nite and had a few:mad: well feck it.But back on track again not giving up I will keep trying, Its sooo hard. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

molly77 wrote: »

Went to pub sat nite and had a few:mad: well feck it.But back on track again not giving up I will keep trying, Its sooo hard. :mad:

Hi Molly. For what it's worth I think you are brilliant - and I genuinely mean that with all my heart. You are trying so hard to beat this and you are winning - even if at times you dont feel that you are.
    I am weak - I cant even get started! I keep putting it off until "the time is right". But I just keep finding excuses all the time. But I know I have to do it and I hope that, when I do, I will do half as well as you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

molly77 wrote: »

Hey Molly,

Here's your sister! I just logged in to post the exact same thing :( Was out on sat night and gave into temptation after a few too many beers. Woke up yesterday morning feeling pretty crappy about myself but just decided to start sunday as a new day and work even harder in the future. Not gonna throw the last month down the drain.

Keep the chin up, and remember....we're all here behind you.

SnoozyS

Advertisement