Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hi everyone (and in particular Molly and SnoozyS)

You are being very hard on yourselves. You should read Hotspur's post on the 'smoking relapse' thread in this forum. It makes a lot of sense to me.

Looking forward to the time, myself, when every day is not like an endurance test.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Have a sister and her husband off the fag's now for three weeks, there doing well, sister suffering badly with her breading. She just has to stay off them..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hey, don't be too rough on yourself. it's easy to slip, especially after one too many. It's a tough addiction to beat whilst sober, so don't go beating yerselves up for slipping up with alcohol on bord.

I made it to a month a few hours ago. Almost forgot to post! The cravings are lessening and am down to 2-3 2mg nicorrettes a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Trying to pack them in off them since saturday (3 days) Cold turkey feel like crap(quitters flu) and very very irretable, but I'm positive and really look forward to being a non smoker(hopefully):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Think there must've been something in the water this weekend - I also gave in after a few drinks! However, over the course of an afternoon & night's drinking (!! 4pm - 3am!) I had seven. I developed a tummy bug yesterday, so was no more inclined to smoke. Think I'm definitely back on the straight & narrow now.
    Here's to keeping it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi Molly. For what it's worth I think you are brilliant - and I genuinely mean that with all my heart. You are trying so hard to beat this and you are winning - even if at times you dont feel that you are.
    I am weak - I cant even get started! I keep putting it off until "the time is right". But I just keep finding excuses all the time. But I know I have to do it and I hope that, when I do, I will do half as well as you.

Aw thanks Shazanne thats gud of u to say. When ye ready to give up u will. Ur not weak its just that ue not ready to give up yet, Your day will come, :)

SnoozyS wrote: »
    Hey Molly,

Here's your sister! I just logged in to post the exact same thing :( Was out on sat night and gave into temptation after a few too many beers. Woke up yesterday morning feeling pretty crappy about myself but just decided to start sunday as a new day and work even harder in the future. Not gonna throw the last month down the drain.

Keep the chin up, and remember....we're all here behind you.

SnoozyS
    Hi ya Snoozy two of a kind:). Ya i felt de same as u. like crap. So hard though :mad: We will keep going :) Best of luck

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Hey, don't be too rough on yourself. it's easy to slip, especially after one too many. It's a tough addiction to beat whilst sober, so don't go beating yerselves up for slipping up with alcohol on bord.

I made it to a month a few hours ago. Almost forgot to post! The cravings are lessening and am down to 2-3 2mg nicorrettes a day.

Ok Sardonicat we wont. Well done one month fair play to ya :)

cravings mine never go away:( de little b,s

Think there must've been something in the water this weekend - I also gave in after a few drinks! However, over the course of an afternoon & night's drinking (!! 4pm - 3am!) I had seven. I developed a tummy bug yesterday, so was no more inclined to smoke. Think I'm definitely back on the straight & narrow now.
    Here's to keeping it up!

Hi ya D. I d say so. A we are all only human, keep trying best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Well, have had no more since Saturday night. I was really ill on Monday, and the thought of putting a cig in my mouth made me gag! The rest of Saturday night's pack got 'donated' to my brother in law, out of temptation's way. I'm hoping it'll be plain sailing from here on in; no guarantees, but I'll do my best.

Keep it up, everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

Grrrr.............am having a sh*tty day :(

My mind seems to be finding numerous crappy reasons for trying to make me smoke! This is not funny and has probably been my hardest day in weeks. Not giving in as I know tomorrow is another day but by god is it head wrecking.

Hope the rest of you kids are doing well.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

After 28 years, I have stopped smoking. I hadn't planned to, after all it is such a cliché to stop on New Years Day. Anyway, here I am 41 days later and feeling very pleased with myself.

I tried hard will power for the first three weeks, then read Allen Carr Easy way book to un-brainwash myself from believing that cigs were a treat and that I was deprived by not having them.

There have been good days and bad. (I'm sure that my best friend would say that I have been snappy and horrid to be around at times) but I have come through the other side and can even drink copious amounts of wine without suffering the illusion of 'needing' a cigarette.

I would love to hear from other's going through the same...

You have about three weeks, then it's all psychological...

Hi everyone, (and welcome annascott),

Will be 5 weeks off the evils this evening. Stopped taking Champix 2 days ago as I couldn't tolerate what I presume were its side effects (e.g., REAL inability to concentrate at work). Okay so far, but waiting for tsunami-type craving. Or not, maybe? Don't really know what to expect after stopping Champix after 6 weeks.:confused: I know all the nicotine is gone from my system at this stage. Will keep you posted.

Well done to all fighting the good fight! Probably better to put it more positively - congratulations to everyone on their new freedom!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 taldar

Hi All

Well its been a hard slog but hopefully have come out the other side, 40 days off them cold turkey. i used the website quitnet.com if i was under pressuse and read ALOT on there. Do not really have any cravings now and do not think about them in the normal day to day stuff. I am the type where if I have one, thats it, I will be back on 20 a day. Just kept thinking its an addiction and you gotta break it. An addicted mind is a strange thing! Anyway, hope you all keep up the good work

Time Smoke-Free: 40 days, 18 hours, 49 minutes and 16 seconds trans.gifCigarettes NOT smoked: 796 trans.gifLifetime Saved: 6 days, 1 hour trans.gifMoney Saved: €342.00

Hi Susan

Congratulations. I don't know what Champix is but I am sure you will be much better without it. Keep going. It gets better, honest! Occasional pangs now are very few and far between and only last about 5 seconds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

hi all,
    this is my 3rd time quitting the smokes using champix, its a miracle drug! a week off them now and not finding it too bad! my only problem was the last time was when i was off them every time i drank i would end up smoking! best of luck to everyone giving them up! terrible habit to break!

Hi everyone,

Horrible weekend so far. It feels like one long craving (although I know it can't be). Quit Champix 4(?) days ago, and still have the side effects from it. And the cravings are back with a vengeance. I know I'm only one puff away from disaster, but am staying strong cos I never want to go through this again. Went out for dinner last night and then to the pub for one drink. Thought I would never get home to get to bed to escape the cravings! 5 weeks and 1 day smoke free.

Would love to hear from everyone else. Molly, Doogie, Snoozy etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

Welcome annascott - great to hear about you being quit and sticking to it... Welcome back Taldar, 40 days in & it sounds like you're still in charge... Hey there susan, hang on in there, that was a lot of strength last night not to give in to the temptation...
    Sunday is my weekly anniversary day, and this sunday is my seventh week. It's a bit like a baby - to begin with the new arrival gets counted as how many days old, then at some point it makes more sense to start thinking of weeks; sometime in the future it'll be months not weeks, 18+ months will be a year and a half...
    Reading the posts here you realise that quitting is far from easy, and for just about everyone who tries, it takes more than once to succeed (this is my seventh attempt in the last twenty years - but now feels like the one that's going to last for good.)
    Alcohol stands out in the thread as a real threat to people's resolve, in the early days at least. Build up the strength of the new habit first...? Here's some advice on the subject http://ffn.yuku.com/topic/11776
    Good luck to everyone wherever you are on the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mitsybaby

Hi all,

I just copied this over from the Champix Forum to share with everyone...

yeah I'm 10 months free in a couple of days all thanks to Champix! they made it really easy for me! i read Allen Carr's book aswell just to reinforce it. I was sick on day 9 and 10 but after that i was fine again.. (i picked day 14 to stop!) i was still reading the book so decided to finish smoking with the book on day 20! i carried on taking Champix for 5 and a half months, again, really wanted to make sure!!! I didn't want to start again but I haven't looked back! and I didn't put on much weight! i went from an 8 to a 10 which is grand.. my house and car and me! smells a lot better, my smokers cough is gone but i notice a tightness in my chest when i'm around other people smoking... (which worries me when i still see people smoking around children!)

all in all i love the fact that it's been made so easy for me because I hate when things take too much effort!! lol... It doesn't bother me at all not having smokes anymore, and even seeing people smoking doesn't affect me! i will say one thing tho... I don't drink anymore either so i can't say 100% how drinkers find it although i don't see any reson why it can't be done!!! just don't pick up the first one!! that's what i tell myself!

Best of Luck to everyone!!! rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

First post here and I thought this might be the best place to put it as I have been following the adventures of all you guys since the start of the year.

I am using the Mini lozenges, like little tic-tacs. I take about 6 a day and have had little or no desire to smoke since I stopped smoking. I get the odd craving that are easily overcome with a few deep breaths and I feel that this is definitely my final quit. I had tried unsuccessfully before but each time I was 'off' them a little longer than the time before.

I have distanced myself from what used to get me back on them again, so this ones for real.

Anyway, Day 50 - yayyy for me....

Best of luck to all who read here. There are more views than posters buts thats always the way. For the poster I say thanks, every little you give of yoursleves can be an inpiration for those who read.

Cheers

Hi noworries - you dark horse!

Wow 50 days, well done. Some day we will all stop counting the days/months etc. I suppose it's only then we will be really, truly, quit (when it stops taking up so much head space!)

Not too bad a day today. No really bad cravings - I just feel I have gone a bit mad;), and cant wait for Champix to exit my system, even though I attribute my quitting to taking it!

Keep going, keep strong. Everyone says it gets easier.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

I quit smoking 20 mths ago using Champix. Can't believe I would ever quit cigs. Without them life is just so easy, and it feels so good to take a deep breathe in. I was talking with a friend of mine who also quit after many years as smoker, we discussed why in earth did we wreck our health with cigs. We both came to the same conclusion that a cigarette does nothing for you, there is no high, there is no a little merry, Nada the only reason we smoked is that we got addicted to nicotine at a young age and we smoked , and without realising it, with each cig we kept the addiction going. Champix helped me get off this merry go round of addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

a

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Hi all

Will catch up with all the postings the weekend
    Have been busy for the past two weeks and have not been posting.

48 days off the fags today mainly ease free thanks to Champex , your postings and a little willpower on my part.

Have been reading some of the comments re side effects from Champex.
    All I can say is that fortunately I was one of the lucky ones and suffered no
    side effects at all . However, if I had endured the side effects of what some of you went through I would have stopped immediately.
    I have found them a great help in that I have been able to become smoke free relativly easy and now and only think of cigarettes now and again. However I am always on my guard as I know how easy it is to go back on them.

Will power is not my strongest point . but I really am determined to stay off them.. I know the pitfalls from previous efforts - 15 months in 2009 , I have identified the triggers , stress, Excitement , Sadness Association and I am trying to develop coping strategies for these situations / emotions .

I keep saying to myself that as long as I don't light or take a puff of another cigarette I will be a non smoker. If I do give in I will be a smoker but will still have to deal with the situation or emotions that occur in life and will be back to square one again.

I haven't drank since I gave up on Jan 1st but drink is not my problem its my nicotine addiction . I have always had a strong associaton between drinking and the fag and this has resulted in my going back on them in previous efforts . Will stay clear of that environment until I get stronger and more confident . Have been out with smokers and it doesn't bother me at all in fact I feel relieved not to be smoking.

I am able to run 10 km now and go walking daily , take more care of my appearance and my skin is radiant since I quit . Not over eating as in past efforts but eating healthy and drinking loads of water at least 2 pints per day.

Have €410.40 in my kitty for my trip to Canada in July for my efforts

Hello to all who quit me and glad to know you are all doing so well .

Welcome to all the newcomers and well done in making the decision to quit Believe me when I say if I can quit anyone can . I have been smoking 35 years approx 20 per day mostly at night - thanks to( Micheal Martin )and chain smoked all my life.- often 40 a day Would sell my soul for them at one stage and drive miles to the next town if the shops in my hometown were closed . Have missed trains and buses due to stopping on route to buy my fix even though I knew I would be late. Even walked back into town in the snow before Christmas to buy more whenI I realised that I had dropped the supply I had bought earlier on. Left a roaring fire to venture out on roads where a cat wouldn't walk to buy my fix. Sheer and utter madness and evidence of how an intelligent human being can let cigarettes contol their life.

So stick with it and don't wait 35 years to quit- so many years wasted on a filthy dangerous addiction tha has left me soul destroyed , unhealthy and totally demoralised because my addiction to nictotine was greater than my desire to quit . Until last Dec I decided I had enough of this dreary existance and started the new year as a non smoker and it feels so good. One day at a time every smoke free day is a good day for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

Thanks for coming back with another really inspiring post & it was great to know you're doing so well. It really sounds like you've tamed the beast for good this time - your will power is actually really strong! And you've got a lot of understanding about what you personally need to do and why. I plan to stick in there with you for the full duration - 54 days quit tomorrow, why go back now? :)

Hi Dalan

If all has gone to plan, this will be your 12 week (3 month!) anniversary. Congratulations! Hope all is going to plan...

I am right behind you. 7 weeks now and feeling stronger each day.

AS

Hi everyone,

Well done Anna (and Dalan, we assume).

Am a bit behind you at 6 weeks and 2 days, but hanging in. Bad cravings today again. Had them last weekend too. Nothing to do with alcohol, just wanting a cig all day long today. I won't give in! This has got to get easier!:(

And ShinShin, what an inspiration you are! Thanks for the really thoughtful, reflective post. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Hey guys, I'm on day 2, yesterday wasn't too bad, but today I'm just craving a lot. I'm determined though, I really want to quit for myself rather than other people telling me I should, and I think that's a small bit of the battle won in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

coming up on 10 or 11 months now without them.
    I have to check when I bought my first electric cigarette.

feel much better,
    and really glad I gave them up.

Advertisement