Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eco-bulb cost to treble: Makers cash in as the ban on old-style bulbs kicks in

Options
  • 03-01-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I recall the greens talking about phasing out the old stlye bulbs. Where does that leave people who love nothing more then dimming some 40 watt bulbs down to minimum on their chandeliers etc for a cosy night in?
    The Eco Bulbs are not dimmable and quite frankly look ridiculous on a decent light fitting and most importantly not dimmable. Should us light dimming enthusiasts start stocking up now before its too late?
    I have eco bulbs in EVERY room of the house apart from 2 light fittings:confused:
    Mods if this belongs in an "ECO forum" please move :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343554/Eco-bulb-cost-treble-Makers-cash-ban-old-style-bulbs-kicks-in.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

I recall the greens talking about phasing out the old stlye bulbs. Where does that leave people who love nothing more then dimming some 40 watt bulbs down to minimum on their chandeliers etc for a cosy night in?
    The Eco Bulbs are not dimmable and quite frankly look ridiculous on a decent light fitting and most importantly not dimmable. Should us light dimming enthusiasts start stocking up now before its too late?
    I have eco bulbs in EVERY room of the house apart from 2 light fittings:confused:
    Mods if this belongs in an "ECO forum" please move :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343554/Eco-bulb-cost-treble-Makers-cash-ban-old-style-bulbs-kicks-in.html

You can get dimmable cfl bulbs alright. Heres an example :
    http://www.dimmablecfls.com/
    I'd say any electrical wholesalers could get them for you also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

sparcocars wrote: »
    You can get dimmable cfl bulbs alright. Heres an example :
    http://www.dimmablecfls.com/
    I'd say any electrical wholesalers could get them for you also.

Ikea in Ballymun sell E27/screw cap dimmable energy saving CFL bulbs by the bucket load.

And YES,they are fully dimmable too.Very good light quality from them too.

You can also buy normal looking E27 fitment LED light bulbs from Philips that are dimmable too.

They are about that same light as a normal 40-60W bulb,but the are very expensive to buy.

Pic attached is of Ikea/Sparsam dimmable CFL bulb in an upstand light fixture with dimmer control

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Sorry to hijack, but we seem to be getting somewhere.

Has anyone seen a dimmable BC for a reasonable price anywhere?

What about a LED for low voltage downlighters (not GU10)?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ikea in Ballymun sell E27/screw cap dimmable energy saving CFL bulbs by the bucket load.

And YES,they are fully dimmable too.Very good light quality from them too.

You can also buy normal looking E27 fitment LED light bulbs from Philips that are dimmable too.

They are about that same light as a normal 40-60W bulb,but the are very expensive to buy.

Pic attached is of Ikea/Sparsam dimmable CFL bulb in an upstand light fixture with dimmer control

You have me baffled now, every SPARSAM on the IKEA website I've looked at says "Not Dimmable".

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    You have me baffled now, every SPARSAM on the IKEA website I've looked at says "Not Dimmable".

These dimmable cfl bulbs are up in Ikea in ballymun,in the lighting department.

And Yes,they are dimmable too,as it quite clearly says it "dimmable" on the packaging.

I bought 4 of them last time I was in Ikea.And they work too.:)

• Advertisement

Pics of Ikea/Sparsam 15W E27 dimmable CFL bulb.

They have tons of these in stock in Ikea in Balymun.

Pic shows the description on the packaging,and the other pic shows the bulb at full brightness and then dimmed down half way.:)

Advertisement