Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please PS3 on firmware 3.15

• 03-01-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I have just got a PS3 on firmware 3.15 , do i have to upgrade to a later firmware to jailbreak ?
    the blueray drive is not working but i dont think that will be a problem.
    Where is the best place to ge a dev board or usb dongle is there anywhere local ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

BrendanD wrote: »
    I have just got a PS3 on firmware 3.15 , do i have to upgrade to a later firmware to jailbreak ?
    the blueray drive is not working but i dont think that will be a problem.
    Where is the best place to ge a dev board or usb dongle is there anywhere local ?

Thanks

Save your money, very soon you won't need any dongles. Upgrade to 3.41 if you must, but I don't see firmware revision being an issue for very long. It's not as if anything functional has been added that games require to actually run (well 3D games came with 3.30, but thats about it).

You will have custom firmware very soon, which will install from any storage medium ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Thanks for the reply , ill wait a bit longer so ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

actually you might get problems when updating with broken Br drive. stay on 3.15 as EN has suggested, you will be fine with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

You can update no problem aswell as downgrade once your logic board is attached, doesn't matter what state the rest of the drive's in or if it's even attached, once the logic / controller board is in good condition.. Lasers etc make no difference, just you can't mount a disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wez wrote: »
    You can update no problem aswell as downgrade once your logic board is attached, doesn't matter what state the rest of the drive's in or if it's even attached, once the logic / controller board is in good condition.. Lasers etc make no difference, just you can't mount a disk.

I think what Docentore means is that if there's a problem with the drive thats not related to the laser/diode/aperature, then in that case there can be problems flashing firmware. If there's ever a problem in the logic board, then the write process will fail, & the firmware update will also fail.

But in >90% of cases, it's the diode so the OP should be fine. My point was that it won't really matter what firmware your on soon, so writing to the nand can - and should be avoided when not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Thanks guys
    I did try and update with a USB key to 3.41 twice and both time got red screen serious problem etc. I cured this by formatting the hd drive on a windows pc, Ill leave it alone for the time being , i seem to be stuck in service mode as well, have to do a bit more research on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

my appologies, I should word myself more clearly. Some ps3's on the market with br-drive problems have problems with logic boards. I had good few of them, bought as "problem with laser etc" but it was connection or other problems.

Best thing would be to open it up and see if the everything is ok with the drive.

Advertisement