Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick yeast v. fast action yeast

• 03-01-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    does anyone know what the difference is between quick and fast action yeast? The comparisons between fast action and fresh yeast are easily available but I can't find comparisons between fresh and quick or quick and fast action.
    I've trawled but the only reference to quick yeast refers to Doves. They can't be the only people to make it, can they?
    I'd like to try Doves because it costs less than the McDougals instant, but I don't want to waste time and dough if it works differently to the instant and the loaf is only fit for the bin.
    They do recommend a tsp to 500gr of flour but that's not much information to go on. What if I don't want to make a loaf ready to bake in an hour?
    Any information would be great. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

When you say quick yeast, I assume you mean dried active yeast.
    The only brand of this that I have found in Ireland is Allinsons.

You add it to a small amount of tepid water and sugar, whisk it up and leave it for 15 minutes until it begins to froth and smell of fresh yeast and then you use it as you would use fresh yeast.

I find it much better than instant yeast. The dough is lovely and lively and springy and kneading it is easier. It is very good for long provings.

If you are used to making bread with instant yeast, I would recommend giving it a go, the bread is lovely and it obviously easier than fresh yeast, as you can keep it for months.

BTW, It does not work in bread machines.

I have just googles dried active yeast and there are loads of web sites explaining what it is and how to use it. You might find more useful information
    Here are a few of the links

allinsonflour.co.uk/products/dried-active-yeast.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker's_yeast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

You've, cleared it up nicely for me.
    It would have been thoughtful of Doves to say on their packet that it was simply Dried Active Yeast.
    I've never used DAY before, it sounds like it handles like fresh yeast. I have used fresh yeast, and the texture of the raw dough is so smooth, you can feel when you've kneaded enough.
    I turned to the fast action yeast because it stores better and is always available.
    Next time I'm baking I'll try the Dried Active yeast.
    Thank you for your help.

I had a look at the Doves website and they sell Dried Yeast and Quick Yeast.

The dried yeast has to be reactivated, but the quick yeast is mixed into the flour while dry and is suitable for bread machines, so I am assuming that it is the same as fast action yeast.

I still think DAY is better,

Advertisement