Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SF Chicken

Options
  • 03-01-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey will be in Cork for a few days working during the week and was wondering if anyone would recommend somewhere for fried chicken or a good takeaway in the city.

Thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

Sounds good! Is there a website or online menu, I can salivate over until I'm in Cork ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No good Fried Chicken IMO in the city. Quality varies from time of day and current trade.

Chippers: Lennox's Barrack Street probably have the highest consistency. [But barrack Street is not City Centre].

Grace's Southern Fried [Cook Street] usually have good value but quality is like a yo-yo.

Lennox, Angelsea Street: OK.

KC's in Douglas [out of town] can come highly recommended.

Patrick Street has McDonalds, Burger King and Abracadabra

No website, anyone correct me if I'm wrong here, but the closest I could get to an online menu was on bebo - http://www.bebo.com/c/photos/view?MemberId=8025659921&PhotoNbr=1&PhotoAlbumId=9237529275

Googled it so might be far off!

To be fair it's your typical, greasy, salty (oh boy oh boy I have to go to town and get some now!) sfc take away but I (and many other Corkonians) love it!

KFC is around too but Hillbillies is just nicer imo. :)

Enjoy your stay in Cork by the way. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭antlyn

gbee wrote: »
    No good Fried Chicken IMO in the city. Quality varies from time of day and current trade.

Chippers: Lennox's Barrack Street probably have the highest consistency. [But barrack Street is not City Centre].

Grace's Southern Fried [Cook Street] usually have good value but quality is like a yo-yo.

Thanks for your reply Where would you recommend for sf chicken. I will have my car so can travel! That kcs place is nice was there before.

• Advertisement

gbee wrote: »

Yum to all of those but come on, Hillbillies is pretty darn perfect! It's meant to be greasy and salty and fattening! Mmmm the gravy made with mashed potatoes... Or the chilli deluxe breast in a bun with hash browns!! ..........Or is it really just me?? :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Its hard to beat a hillbillys breast in a bun with a small milk!! Kfc is dirt in comparison.

NoDice wrote: »
    Yum to all of those but come on, Hillbillies .Or is it really just me?? :o:o:o

I've not gone there in a while ~ but the queues would suggest it is not just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

Went to the Little Island branch soon after it opened a few years ago: Fantastic: Went back recently and I'd not bother to go back again TBH.

Consistency is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

If your after some chicken wings go to East Village in Douglas, you'l be drooling in no time!
    Personally I gag a little when I think of Hill Billies :pac:

Ok ok I hold my hands up and say Hillbillies is a cheap, salty, typical sfc takeaway. If that's what you're after Hillbillies is the way to go!

However I am also a big fan of MacDonalds & the steak and cheese in Subway! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

OP if going to hillbillies you may need about 8 pints in ya to be able to digest the stuff :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

mmmm Hillbillies :pac:

I met a girl in America who'd studied at UCC for a couple of months and the thing she missed most was the deliciousness of a Hillbillies after a skinful. I'd say the staff could tell some stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Sinn Féin do chicken?

I reckon their breast in a bun is nice, the actual snack boxes etc are fairly not nice me thinks. Too greasy and not crispy enough. John Graces is nicer for a snack box / dinner box but the late night clientelle on a Friday and Saturday can actually put you off your grub :eek:

I usually get a snack box with two drum sticks, a chilli deluxe breast in a bun and a portion of onion rings. Nom nom nom. I've had it both sloshed and stone cold sober. I find the chicken portions are nicer during the day. Maybe it's down to a change in the oil?

BTW, you don't understand how happy I am about an entire thread about SFC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Hillbillies after large amounts of alcohol: savage
    Hillbillies when sober: greasy and kind of sickening but I'd still go there the odd time :D

TBH I'd prefer KFC to Hillbillies when I'm sober, never had a KFC drunk, none in town!

You can't go wrong with Lennox's bandon road or KC's Douglas, but I can't really comment on the chicken side of things. Get a sf hot chicken roll in the shop on corner of college road, better than any hillbillies :D

Just realised you also requested take away suggestions; I got far too excited about being able to talk too much about Hillbillies.

My favourite take-away/delivery is Lal Quila in Douglas - http://www.whoseview.ie/business/Lal-Quila-Douglas-Cork-167600.html

The perfect Indian food. *stomach rumbles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I do a wicked fried chicken!

But I bring my own chicken fry mix from the UK and do it myself. Beats the processed ****e from KFC/Hillbillies/Donatello's hands down.

At least that's what my husband tells me...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Thanks everyone for making me hungry! Wont be heading to the gym tonight, hillbillies instead!

ShamFeen wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for making me hungry! Wont be heading to the gym tonight, hillbillies instead!

Ha ha ha I'm so embarrassed that I've posted so many times in what I'm now calling "THE AWESOME HILLBILLIES THREAD" but I wish I could thank your post more than once!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ha ha ha I'm so embarrassed that I've posted so many times in what I'm now calling "THE AWESOME HILLBILLIES THREAD" but I wish I could thank your post more than once!!! :D

Well you are so right so post away - Hillbillies is just perfection! The chicken is just to DIE for and i usually eat it sober so it AIN'T greasy whoever said it was!! The hillbillies on Bakers Road do fish too which according to my dad is "the nicest battered fish he's ever tasted" - SO THERE! :D

In short GO TO HILLBILLIES:D

leahyl wrote: »
    The chicken is just to DIE for and i usually eat it sober so it AIN'T greasy whoever said it was!!

That was me for one :pac:
    Being a non drinker I only have only ever eaten it sober and two years ago I was 17 stone so I know a thing or two about grub :D

Popped into John Graces last night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

RoverJames wrote: »
    That was me for one :pac:
    Being a non drinker I only have only ever eaten it sober and two years ago I was 17 stone so I know a thing or two about grub :D

Popped into John Graces last night :o

Ok well maybe i just choose to ignore the greasyness.....:o but i honestly don't find it that greasy - now if you ever taste Looneys chips in Mayfield - now THEY are what i call greasy - i get a pain in my stomach after them!

leahyl wrote: »
    Well you are so right so post away - Hillbillies is just perfection! The chicken is just to DIE for and i usually eat it sober so it AIN'T greasy whoever said it was!! The hillbillies on Bakers Road do fish too which according to my dad is "the nicest battered fish he's ever tasted" - SO THERE! :D

In short GO TO HILLBILLIES:D

*dances with drumsticks*

:D

I also said it was greasy but I like it greasy! Well tbf it's not so much greasy really! It's just so juicy and succulent and has the nicest crispiest breadcrumb ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

*dances with drumsticks*

:D

I also said it was greasy but I like it greasy! Well tbf it's not so much greasy really! It's just so juicy and succulent and has the nicest crispiest breadcrumb ever!!!

Hillbillies should be paying you for all this advertising, and perhaps they are!!? If not, why not?

ShamFeen wrote: »
    Hillbillies should be paying you for all this advertising, and perhaps they are!!? If not, why not?

I think you're onto something there Shamfeen..........

/leaves Boards.

*runs to Hillbillies*

*runs to Hillbillies*

Stalker mode on

which Hillbillies ? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I love breasts

Advertisement