Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rowing Clubs in Galway

Options
  • 03-01-2011 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey,

I have never been a member of a Rowing Club before but it is something i've always thought i'd like to get into. I don't know too much about the Rowing world so can anyone tell me what is actually involved? Like i know running is a big aspect. I'm a good runner so i don't seen this being too much of an obstacle for me.
    I'm based in Galway so abviously i'd like to join one in here. Does anyone have any info on Rowing Clubs around the city as i can't seem to find any proper info from Google?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Besides the most obvious - Galway Rowing club on Woodquay - there is the Tribesmen Rowing Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Prepare yourself for 6am meeting times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Prepare yourself for hell-on-earth you mean :) 6am starts (and earlier) are just one of the difficult aspects. Prepare yourself for twice a day training sessions in the race season, serious ergometer work (there is no God when it comes to that alone), freezing your nuts off on the lake in shi**y weather, capsizing (does happen), screaming coaches etc. Great sport though in that you will be as fit as a fiddle and really strong. GRC is fairly good but there's a lot of in-house politics involved there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

.......................... GRC is fairly good but there's a lot of in-house politics involved there.

Oh do spill. I'll tell no one, promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

as with any sport, there are two streams-one for the seriously competitive and one for the fun rowers. Galway is a good place for rowing.
    if you are working or studying in the college that would be another option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Get yourself a girlfriend that's a b1tch, instant "rowing" club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Fuinseog wrote: »
    as with any sport, there are two streams-one for the seriously competitive and one for the fun rowers.

That's what I thought before I joined GRC :) I only wanted to do it for exercise/fun but because I joined a novice eight crew, there was at least 10 other guys to take into consideration, in that many of them did want to be competitive. So unless the OP wants to scull (not beer :rolleyes:) there is a good chance that he or she may end up racing as part of a team. That was my experience at least. I really liked it overall but serious sacrifices in your personal life often result because of the time commitment involved. If you have a girlfriend/boyfriend now...you probably won't have in 12 months time. Again, just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

My Dad is really involved in rowing. Do you want to be seriously competitive or just do it for fun? There are lots of clubs, GRC, Tribesmen, NUIG, Commercial, Gráinne Mhaol...then the school clubs of The Bish and The Jes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement