Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Fox caught in Kent

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

everypenny wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to bother you when you miss quote others though...

There a world of difference in interpreting what someone says & putting their words into quotation marks & then changing the wording to suit your purpose.

Your full quote was there for all to see & interpret how they saw fit.

The youtube video has been removed however a video & interview with the Vet is here:

http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/index.php/corporate-site-home/53-britains-biggest-foxes

In the press interviews it specifically says that he trapped the fox before killing it. This video suggests that he shot it. Has it been edited to suggest that the fox was shot "in the wild" rather than being trapped first ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Shanao wrote: »
    Scottish wildcats

Scottich Wildcats are under serious threat from interbreeding with domestic cats, be they feral or otherwise. They are also under threat from disease such as fiv and feline leukemia. There are only 400 wildcats left in Scotland.

http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/

There is no such thing as wild cats in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Shanao wrote: »
    I have, several times in fact. It isn't impossible to tame them you know. It just takes time and patience.

Kittens I'm assuming, if it was an adult you tamed than it wasn't a true feral.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

Discodog wrote: »
    There a world of difference in interpreting what someone says & putting their words into quotation marks & then changing the wording to suit your purpose.

Your full quote was there for all to see & interpret how they saw fit.

Fair enough. So i interpret from this comment of yours that you have no problem what so ever with the vet shooting the fox??? Is that ok to say? I doubt it!

You see, interpretation is ok, but if a false statement is made along the lines of making it sound like i was telling people that if they get shot in a woods its their own fault then i have a greivance there. There is a fine line between paraphrazing and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭everypenny

Re feral cats: some of the posters on these forums will know I work in cat rescue. In Australia, the country that truly hates the cat. And I own five of my own cats, so I truly love cats.

And I say this to you lot:

Make sure nobody owns it, and make sure you have a clean shot.

A collar is meaningless - all it means is someone owned the cat for the 90 seconds it takes to put a collar on. A cat with a collar can still be feral. A cat without can still be a pet. Check with your neighbours about who owns what cat. Even put posters up before you shoot them.

People need to keep their cats inside.

Feral cats breed like rabbits. They decimate wildlife and spread disease through the domestic cat population. They lead miserable lives that end in violence - either one of you lot shoot them, or someone runs them over (ford focus comment poster, welcome to my radar, you're now on it), or they're caught by dog fighters and used as bait to agitate dogs before a fight - or a coursing hunt - or they're attacked by other animals or people, or they're poisoned...

The list is endless. And I've seen some of the results. And I'd rather one of you bunch shot the ones in your vicinity, quickly and cleanly, than any number of the other ways they die. Yes, the ideal situation is for you to lay out traps and take the animal to the vet who'll euthanise them, but to be honest for a feral cat the stress of being trapped and transported to a vetinary surgeon's offices is hell on earth.

Yes there's a chance you'll miss.

Don't miss, okay?

Just to show that even people who are committed to animals can understand the benefits of shooting feral or wild species.

An interesting, unbiased, objective post. My congratulations to the original poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

homerhop wrote: »
    I find that interesting Whispered,
    How would it leave you permanantly damaged? and for the sake of being pc can we use the term person as there are females who like to hunt also.
    PC? Pffft, nah I prefer to be daring and politically incorrect :p. It would leave me scared to walk in the forests again. I would already be nervous when walking in the middle of nowhere, about coming across someone up to no good, (I also have a bizzare fear of coming across a body :o) . If I bumped into a man with a gun it'd scare me senseless. We were walking in the glen of imal (sp?) recently and even with clearly marked signs of where we can and can not walk, I was very very nervous with gun shots near us. (even though they may not have been very near but close enough to hear loudly).

I've often seen men in camo type clothes with either a balaclava or scarf or something around their faces while driving through the mountains. Would thy usually be hunters or army people?
    Kittens I'm assuming, if it was an adult you tamed than it wasn't a true feral.
    What counts as a true feral? I've seen a couple of adult cats turn into not quite loving pets, but pets who tolerate your presence :rolleyes: (roll eyes for cats not you). But I don't know what you mean by a true feral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

PC? Pffft, nah I prefer to be daring and politically incorrect . It would leave me scared to walk in the forests again. I would already be nervous when walking in the middle of nowhere, about coming across someone up to no good, (I also have a bizzare fear of coming across a body ) . If I bumped into a man with a gun it'd scare me senseless. We were walking in the glen of imal (sp?) recently and even with clearly marked signs of where we can and can not walk, I was very very nervous with gun shots near us. (even though they may not have been very near but close enough to hear loudly).

I've often seen men in camo type clothes with either a balaclava or scarf or something around their faces while driving through the mountains. Would thy usually be hunters or army people?

If it is in the Glen they are army.

So then you are just a nervous person regardless of the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

So then you are just a nervous person regardless of the situation?
    At the thought of bumping into someone in the middle of nowhere with no way of protecting myself should I need to, yes I would be nervous in general. So I'm sure you can imagine bumping into someone carrying a weapon :eek:

Also, I know that most hunters are responsible with their guns, but I personally know of 2 people who should never be allowed near a gun.

Even taking that out of the picture, even the best of gunmen have bad shots occasionally surely. I just don't fancy the idea of being in the same area of shots being fired, unless standing beside the gunman.

I do think this is beside the point though, I didn't realise that shooting was allowed in coillte forests, so I asked for clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Please raed Seamus`warning before posting crap like that in this thread.

Whispered wrote: »
    At the thought of bumping into someone in the middle of nowhere with no way of protecting myself should I need to, yes I would be nervous in general. So I'm sure you can imagine bumping into someone carrying a weapon :eek:

Also, I know that most hunters are responsible with their guns, but I personally know of 2 people who should never be allowed near a gun.

Even taking that out of the picture, even the best of gunmen have bad shots occasionally surely. I just don't fancy the idea of being in the same area of shots being fired, unless standing beside the gunman.

I do think this is beside the point though, I didn't realise that shooting was allowed in coillte forests, so I asked for clarification.

That is understandable, no worries.
    Yes shooting is allowed on certain Coillte lands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That is understandable, no worries.
    Yes shooting is allowed on certain Coillte lands

Bear in mind that many of the posters here will be walking dogs in Forests and/or have children with them. It is extremely scary to have a dog off lead & then hear a bang. No matter how well trained a dog may be they can wander.

Not all hunters take the same level of care & gun dogs do get shot by mistake. I know someone, who lives nearby, who shot his own terrier by mistake.

Just recently a hunter in the USA shot a dog & another hunter by mistake.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-01-09/story/law-disorder-man-hurt-dog-killed-while-hunting-guana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Discodog wrote: »
    Bear in mind that many of the posters here will be walking dogs in Forests and/or have children with them. It is extremely scary to have a dog off lead & then hear a bang. No matter how well trained a dog may be they can wander.

Not all hunters take the same level of care & gun dogs do get shot by mistake. I know someone, who lives nearby, who shot his own terrier by mistake.

Just recently a hunter in the USA shot a dog & another hunter by mistake.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-01-09/story/law-disorder-man-hurt-dog-killed-while-hunting-guana

But most, if not all Coillte properties say that dogs have to be on a lead at all times, so if dog owners are responsible, and act within the laws of that property, then they wouldn't have that particular worry.

Of course that would also apply to the hunters if they have dogs with them, so I wonder how that works?

ISDW wrote: »
    Of course that would also apply to the hunters if they have dogs with them, so I wonder how that works?

Because those hunting in coillte lands have been given permission to hunt by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Because those hunting in coillte lands have been given permission to hunt by them.

But we have permission to use certain Coillte lands for mushing, it doesn't mean that we don't still have to abide by their by laws.

ISDW wrote: »
    But we have permission to use certain Coillte lands for mushing, it doesn't mean that we don't still have to abide by their by laws.

Hunters are abiding by their law, we have been given permission to hunt certain woods which allows us to use our dogs off their leash.

Advertisement