Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed where you shoot??

Options
  • 03-01-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

A family friend has said to me that he does often feed some areas of land to keep stocks up.as far as i know he feeds a couple of ponds for duck.a few handfulls of feed in every field for pheasant and chiken carcases for mr fox.im not entirely sure whether id be up for this practice tho.opinions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

The only problem id see with what you said there is the chicken, if it was cooked it will attract rats. I usually leave shot rabbits in spots of the fields i shoot to keep charlie in the area comin for a free meal. i see no harm. as for feedin the birds if its an area your gonna shoot during the season why not look after your interests and keep the birds healthy and well fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

The only problem id see with what you said there is the chicken, if it was cooked it will attract rats. I usually leave shot rabbits in spots of the fields i shoot to keep charlie in the area comin for a free meal. i see no harm. as for feedin the birds if its an area your gonna shoot during the season why not look after your interests and keep the birds healthy and well fed?

Anything dead cooked or not will attract rats :rolleyes:

Its a good idea to feed pheasants particularly after releasing adult birds. It will ensure the birds will stay in the one area and will also ensure that the hens are in good condition come laying time. Generally ponds are fed to attract wild duck to shoot them.

Advertisement