Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilbane playing for Huddersfield in League One

• 03-01-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Will Trap STILL play him?! :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

At least he be getting his game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

move john o shea to the left & play coleman on the right is what i would do, steven ward or steven kelly are better players than kilbane as well imo,
    but we know trap will still pick kilbane, to be honest i have had enough of trapattoni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Its an interesting question. On one hand Trapp should play what he percieves to be his best 11. But on the other hand, he refuses to play LoI players he accepts are good enough because the standard around them is too low, yet here is Kilbane in a lower standard league again.

He has painted himself into a corner with his pronouncement that you had to be playing for your club only to ignore it for Keane and Given, I can see the same happening here.

As he should if he feels he is good enough, but it looks bad when he changes the rules to suit the favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

He has to play Steven Ward now, the level that Kilbane is now playing is not good enough to be playing international football. If Kilbane is even picked in the next squad then i give up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Given that he selected Liam Miller when he didn't have a club I suspect you're all expecting too much

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

with O'Shea able to play LB or RB ,trap should pick 1 from Kelly,foley or ward.I dont think Coleman is the answer at RB yet .Cunningham's injury is a bad blow he could have came in and made the position his own.Kilbane will most likely get called up to the next squad:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Its an interesting question. On one hand Trapp should play what he percieves to be his best 11. But on the other hand, he refuses to play LoI players he accepts are good enough because the standard around them is too low, yet here is Kilbane in a lower standard league again.

He has painted himself into a corner with his pronouncement that you had to be playing for your club only to ignore it for Keane and Given, I can see the same happening here.

As he should if he feels he is good enough, but it looks bad when he changes the rules to suit the favourites.

NPower League 1 a higher standard than the LOI. Wake up buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Excellent how quickly this goes into a Trap bashing thread. Ah well we'll all know how badly Trap did once he's gone.

As for myself I think Trap is doing quite well with regards to bringing talent into the squad but who am I to say such a thing.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The old third division? It is in its hole.

But thats a subjective debate. The point stands. Trapp made a statement that players would have to play a: regularly and b: at a high standard. He has broken a for two favourites and I expect him to do the same with b: for Kilbane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You're absolutely spot on. Some Irish football fans just can't accept it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I don't think Trap will do Kilbane any favours it he continuously selects him to play at left back. He has been a wonderful ambassador for Irish football but his legs are gone for international football. I think he should be brought onboard the management team. Its time to play Kelly, Ward, Clark or switch John O'Shea to the left full position.

The old third division? It is in its hole.

But thats a subjective debate. The point stands. Trapp made a statement that players would have to play a: regularly and b: at a high standard. He has broken a for two favourites and I expect him to do the same with b: for Kilbane.

It really isn't. Again, you need to ****ing wake up if you believe otherwise.

I don't think Trap will do Kilbane any favours it he continuously selects him to play at left back. He has been a wonderful ambassador for Irish football but his legs are gone for international football. I think he should be brought onboard the management team. Its time to play Kelly, Ward, Clark or switch John O'Shea to the left full position.

+1.kilbane has been a good servant over the years but he is finished now.not up to standard anymore and there are plenty of other options.With Warnock burning his bridges at Villa ,clark mite get a decent run of games at LB if Villa dont buy in Janurary.he mite be the one who gets his place now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

As far as I know he is playing centre midfield for them. So if he gets picked for Ireland at left back he will be playing in a position he has not played regularly in for months.

As far as I know he is playing centre midfield for them. So if he gets picked for Ireland at left back he will be playing in a position he has not played regularly in for months.

Clark has played a few different positions for Villa this season,centre back ,centre mid and full back.He might get regular games at LB because warnock has probably played his last game for Villa .just saying Clark is another option.Cunninghams injury really is a big disappointment ,I think he would have been the one who would take over from Kilbane but thats on the back burner now for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Get to many league one matches do you?

On the basis I have been to see games in both leagues in 2010, I am qualified to have an opinion.

You are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

LOI isn't near the standard of the NPower League One. Ridiculous to even suggest, irregardless of how many games from both you have seen 'live'. Just my opinion of course.

LOI isn't near the standard of the NPower League One. Ridiculous to even suggest, irregardless of how many games from both you have seen 'live'. Just my opinion of course.
    League of Ireland clubs have eliminated top division Russian, Swedish, Belurussian, Scottish, Danish, Croatian, Finnish, Dutch and Cypriot clubs from European competition in the last ten years, as well as running Ukrainian, French, Spanish and German teams extremely close. Any of these teams would have been quite competitive in the English third tier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

CiaranC wrote: »
    League of Ireland clubs have eliminated top division Russian, Swedish, Belurussian, Scottish, Danish, Croatian, Finnish, Dutch and Cypriot clubs from European competition in the last ten years, as well as running Ukrainian, French, Spanish and German teams extremely close. Any of these teams would have been quite competitive in the English third tier.

Yeah, but teams from League 1 and below often beat Premiership opponents in FA and League Cup football.

Brighton, So'ton, Wednesday, Charlton, Hartlepool, MK Dons and a few others would likely win the LoI consistently.

I'd put the Irish PD at about the same standard as Blue Square Premier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Football Manager 2011 agrees with you.

****ing very hard to get a L1 player to sign for my LOI team. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

markesmith wrote: »
    Yeah, but teams from League 1 and below often beat Premiership opponents in FA and League Cup football.

Brighton, So'ton, Wednesday, Charlton, Hartlepool, MK Dons and a few others would likely win the LoI consistently.

Not a clue seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Oh ffs, this year Galway United beat Liverpool, Bohs beat Aston Villa and I think Sligo beat everton , so by your logic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Paully D wrote: »
    You're absolutely spot on. Some Irish football fans just can't accept it though.
    let me guess your a big man u or liverpool fan.decked out in official club merchandise probably have a love united hate glazer scarf.who watches every game on sky..your local team could be outside playing decent football but you'd still chose to watch your beloved British team.if you went to see a loi game you would know the standard is allot higher than you think... a typical west brit answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Who cares? Irish football is a sh*te standard, and won't be improving anytime soon.

The LOI 'real football' fans will try and say its a higher standard, the 'barstoolers' that enjoy watching proper football will say the LOI is comparable to pub football. As always neither side will back down. Either way it has nothing to do with this thread.

Personally I'd like to see players like Kilbane being phased out, as good as he has been for us over the years. Really looking forward to Trap giving players like Coleman and Clark a chance.

:rolleyes:

What qualifies you to judge this? Do you watch League of Ireland or Blue Square Premier matches on a regular basis? Wait, I just remembered what forum Im on, forget I asked.

The fact that you put teams who won or drew against Deportivo La Coruna, Aberdeen, Krylov Sovetov, Lille, Hadjuk Split, IFK Gotenborg, Hertha Berlin, Steaua Bucharest, Red Bull Salzburg, FC Bate, Elfsborg, Helsingborgs, Paris Saint Germain or Dynamo Kiev two divisions below the likes of Dagenham and Redbridge is ****ing laughable and is a perfect indication of the level of football knowledge outside the EPL on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

what kind of coin will 'killer' be picking up at Huddersfield anyone reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭sonic85

BERBA wrote: »
    what kind of coin will 'killer' be picking up at Huddersfield anyone reckon?

10 packets of rancheros and a chomp per week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Kilbane should be nowhere near the national side anymore.

Also, if you believe League One is of a higher standard than LOI then I'm afraid to say, there's no hope left for you.

This is the same kilbane who used charge stephen hunt petrol money when he used pick him up for training at Hull :eek:, chri$t how mean is that?

What qualifies you to judge this?
    Corholio wrote: »
    Not a clue seriously.

Do I need to be David Lynch to judge whether a movie is good? This is a discussion forum, and people are entitled to their opinion.

That's my opinion. As a season ticket holder of Salthill Devon, who often watches Barnet (League 2 I know) when I'm over in London (and can't get Spurs tickets), then I'm entitled to it.

I swear, I've had it with the LOI keyboard warriors on this forum. You're way to prolier-than-thou :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This is the same kilbane who used charge stephen hunt petrol money when he used pick him up for training at Hull :eek:, chri$t how mean is that?

Where you hear that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

How do you compare leagues though?? It's stupid. There are LOI teams who'd be competitive in it. There are teams like Drogheda who'd probably get relegated.

There are LOI players at the moment who could well play at a higher standard than League 1.

As for Kilbane, it's time he was phased out alright. In saying that, his best form for Ireland was when he played centre midfield for us. I'd rather him back there than Paul bloody Green

Where you hear that one?

was on ian dempsey show on today fm one morning during 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

monkey9 wrote: »
    How do you compare leagues though?? It's stupid. There are LOI teams who'd be competitive in it. There are teams like Drogheda who'd probably get relegated.

There are LOI players at the moment who could well play at a higher standard than League 1.

As for Kilbane, it's time he was phased out alright. In saying that, his best form for Ireland was when he played centre midfield for us. I'd rather him back there than Paul bloody Green

If Paul Green plays for Ireland again we deserve everything we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

was on ian dempsey show on today fm one morning during 2010

Even if it's true, he probably did it for a joke. Or just because it's Stephen Hunt!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Even if it's true, he probably did it for a joke. Or just because it's Stephen Hunt!!

they were all commenting on how mean he was , supposedly on 30-40k a week and taking petrol money on top.....:rolleyes:

people are entitled to their opinion
    Oh come on, you said that Irelands best clubs are on the level of English non-league football, and you expect people to say nothing? You are either a troll or completely clueless about football.

How many rounds of European competition would you expect Eastbourne Borough to pass then?

Oh come on, you said that Irelands best clubs are on the level of English non-league football, and you expect people to say nothing? You are either a troll or completely clueless about football.

How many rounds of European competition would you expect Eastbourne Borough to pass then?

Ah stop, will you? Alright, I'll split the difference: League 2 standard.

Southampton, Charlton or Wednesday all have a much higher standard of squad, academy, facilities and support base than any team in the LoI. I thought I was stating the obvious. So we'll drop one division, and scratch what I said about the BSP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Trap wont even know hes gone to Huddersfield:rolleyes:....He doesnt know who he played for before before them anyway!:rolleyes:

I guess we're pretty lucky that well avoid such giants as Stevenage and Chelteham in Europe this year really

I guess we're pretty lucky that well avoid such giants as Stevenage and Chelteham in Europe this year really

Would probably be tougher opponents than the Welsh Champions though right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ok ok, enough mickey waving.

this is not a thread for the much, ahem, loved, LoI v EPL díck measuring contest.

this is a thread about how shít Kevin Kilbane now is, how he should maybe be fazed of the international set-up. we should all be united if anything :D

but seriously, no more baiting from anyone.

The landscape of eligible Irish footballers has changed substantially since last summer in four broad ways:

- a couple of the players people were screaming and shouting about during the last campaign have fallen off either due to poor form or injury: Reid hasn't managed a league appearance this year and McCarthy hasn't played since October - while Ireland's move to Aston Villa has been a disaster for both parties;
    - some of Trapp's favourites have experienced similar fates: Whelan, Andrews, Kilbane - and Lawrence has dropped a division;
    - we have some Irish players who have taken leaps forward and are now seeing regular game time at Premier League level: Ward, Foley, Walters, Clarke and Delap;
    - worryingly, some of the Irish squad's key personalities are in a lot of trouble for various reasons: Given, Dunne, Duff and Keane;

What needs to happen now is that Trappatoni should fundamentally reassess the situation before he goes to pick his next squad. Delap should be reintegrated to the set up as a matter of priority tbh, and there should be a complete re imagination of our depth chart at central midfield, both fullback slots, and behind Keane / Doyle.

I have defended most of what Trapp has done up to now, but failure to react to the significant shift in form across the Irish squad at this point would be a disaster. Though people should realise that too much change at this point could also hurt us as much as doing nothing because of the effects it could have on experience, morale and general squad synergy.

Finally, there will be some on this forum who will want to claim little "I told you so victories" over Kilbane. Those same people should remember how wrong they were over Reid - things have progressed at a rapid pace for a number of players over the past 18 months.

yes rarnes1:

- attendances are much higher;
    - salaries are much higher;
    - club structures (i.e. coaching staffs / youth programs / facilities) are much larger in scope;
    - the experience level of players in the league is much broader;

The best of the LOI would be lower end League One / Higher end League Two. And that's four / five clubs - the rest would be hanging on in the English League pyramid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SlickRic wrote: »
    this is a thread about how shít Kevin Kilbane now is, how he should maybe be fazed of the international set-up. we should all be united if anything :D

It's about the standard acceptable to be called up for an international...

dfx- wrote: »
    It's about the standard acceptable to be called up for an international...

Exactly. I brought it up. One of Trapps mantras was that LoI players who were good enough would have to move to a 'higher standard' to get in the Irish team, and fair enough, Fahey, Coleman, Murphy, Delaney, Ward and a few others have done and are in the mix.

So if he were to pick Kilbane at a level that most people would accept is similar to the LoI he would be breaking the rule (like he did with the regular football for Keane, Duff and Given) and thats a legitimate discussion point.

yes rarnes1:

- attendances are much higher;
    - salaries are much higher;
    - club structures (i.e. coaching staffs / youth programs / facilities) are much larger in scope;- the experience level of players in the league is much broader;

The best of the LOI would be lower end League One / Higher end League Two. And that's four / five clubs - the rest would be hanging on in the English League pyramid.

Are they?

When was the last time any English third division club produced an international player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Southampton...Bale and Walcott off the top of my head....

• Advertisement
Advertisement