Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilbane playing for Huddersfield in League One

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Qwerty27 wrote: »
    Southampton...Bale and Walcott off the top of my head....

Fair enough, but they weren't in the third tier when that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Don't think either Bale or Walcott played in 3rd division with S'oton???

As an aside to the OP, I see Liam Lawrence has signed permanently with Portsmouth in Division 2/Championship. What dies it say for a player whose strongest points are deviveries from crosses and set-pieces that there is no place for him at a team who rely on set-pieces like Stoke?? Surely his inernational place must be questioned(btw i thought he did OK for ROI when he played over last few years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

^ Ye Lawrence played well, but I might pick Fahey ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

BERBA wrote: »
    they were all commenting on how mean he was , supposedly on 30-40k a week and taking petrol money on top.....:rolleyes:
    Surely Hunt was on similar money and could easily afford his own car? Now whos the tight fucker?
    You can abuse Kilbane's footballing ability all you like but theres nothing worse than a cnut thinking he can scab lifts :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Who cares whether Kilbane plays for Ireland or not. I don't support Ireland because they play crap football and play at a lower level than Spain, so that's why I support Spain. Why would anybody want to support a crap team like Ireland when you can just support Spain instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've watched hundreds of league one matches, in my time as a season ticket holder of an English League One/Two Club. Since moving to Ireland I've made regular trips to Tallaght to watch Shamrock Rovers. There's a lot to be said for the atmosphere at LOI matches and the passion from the fans, but in terms of quality of football (and style of play) you just can't compare the two. League One is several rungs higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've watched hundreds of league one matches, in my time as a season ticket holder of an English League One/Two Club. Since moving to Ireland I've made regular trips to Tallaght to watch Shamrock Rovers. There's a lot to be said for the atmosphere at LOI matches and the passion from the fans, but in terms of quality of football (and style of play) you just can't compare the two. League One is several rungs higher.

Thats just Shamrock Rovers at the moment tbh. (and Pats too), but go watch Sligo or Fingal if you wanna compare the football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Who cares whether Kilbane plays for Ireland or not. I don't support Ireland because they play crap football and play at a lower level than Spain, so that's why I support Spain. Why would anybody want to support a crap team like Ireland when you can just support Spain instead?

You're messing, aren't ya? Sarcasm?
    Or at least tell me you're Spanish!

J. Marston wrote: »
    You're messing, aren't ya? Sarcasm?
    Or at least tell me you're Spanish!

I don't understand you. You mean Irish people support Ireland even though they've never won anything or qualify for the big competitions? That doesn't make sense. Why not just pick a better team from another country?!?

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for the atmosphere at LOI matches and the passion from the fans, but in terms of quality of football (and style of play) you just can't compare the two. League One is several rungs higher.

Yeah, like there's no hoofball merchants in league 1 :rolleyes: All leagues have some teams that like to play football and others that play more direct (hoofball). I too have been to many games from premier league to blue square. Quality of football (and style of play) is not on the agenda of some teams including some in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

League One is a division which seems to reward passing football like few others. The teams at the top of that league are invariably the best footballing sides. We won that league in 05/06 playing beautiful, one-touch passing football and were relegated in 09/10 playing hoofball.

The only side I can remember in recent times who have thrived playing long ball in League One were Leeds in 09/10 when they went up, and 07/08 when they should have done. But Leeds had players who were just too good for that level.

The Championship is a far more physical division, and League Two tends to have more long ball sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I don't understand you. You mean Irish people support Ireland even though they've never won anything or qualify for the big competitions? That doesn't make sense. Why not just pick a better team from another country?!?

Support Man United by any chance? Chelsea (since 03)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

tolosenc wrote: »

WHOOOOSHHHHH

Thats the sound of it going miles over your head by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

tolosenc wrote: »

Are you being serious?

Kevin Kilbane shouldn't be playing for Ireland when he's making his living in League 1, it's much too big of a quality difference beteen L1 and international football. And I've often defended Kilbane in the past when others were slating him, but it's time for Trap to stop being so stubborn or Kilbance to realise that he's past his best and do the honourable thing and retire to allow Coleman, Kelly et al to have their chance.

Advertisement