Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,939 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hahahaha wooo EUCJ rules minimum pricing is illegal and a tax should be imposed instead in Scotland!!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/alcohol-minimum-pricing-european-court-2517139-Dec2015/

Take that Leo and VFI!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

VinLieger wrote: »
    Hahahaha wooo EUCJ rules minimum pricing is illegal and a tax should be imposed instead in Scotland!!!

http://www.thejournal.ie/alcohol-minimum-pricing-european-court-2517139-Dec2015/

Take that Leo and VFI!!!

*cracks open can of Karpackie*

(What else to wash down a tumbler of buckfast at 10am?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This is the best Christmas present I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This is the best Christmas present I've ever had.

Higher taxes on alcohol?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shove that up your trumpet you vintner bastards!

• Advertisement

Higher taxes on alcohol?

Lost revenue as people stock up cross border.

Higher taxes on alcohol?

I look forward to the vintners lobbying against this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Higher taxes on alcohol?
    That's not necessarily the outcome - just the alternative the court has given if they want to hit the price of alcohol.

Delighted anyway - minimum pricing was always an elitist proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Christmas always was the time of miracles. Sometimes the EU ain't all that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Christmas always was the time of miracles. Sometimes the EU ain't all that bad.

....as long as you don't work for a tobacco company

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/european-court-of-justice-rules-in-favour-of-plain-packaging-directive-for-cigarettes-1.2475981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Up yours Leo :)

you might have to hand back that brown envelope to the Vintners and Diageo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Weh hey! Good sensible news that.

I think I'll celebrate by having one responsible drink later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

So if I understand correctly the only way that the government can increase the price of alcohol is to increase tax on it, but this would have to apply to both off & on licence sales, meaning the vintners would be less enthusiastic about such a measure. Have I got that right?

I'd laugh if the west Dublin electorate punished Leo for this gerrymandering to the VFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Custardpi wrote: »
    So if I understand correctly the only way that the government can increase the price of alcohol is to increase tax on it, but this would have to apply to both off & on licence sales, meaning the vintners would be less enthusiastic about such a measure. Have I got that right?

In theory, however they could draw a distinction between off licence sales and pub sales etc and increase the tax that way, but it would be even more transparent that it is puerly favour of VFI and unlikely (hopefully) to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Do not celebrate just yet, they will find another way. Probably put a tax on aluminium cans over a certain size containing liquid.

M

Do not celebrate just yet, they will find another way. Probably put a tax on aluminium cans over a certain size containing liquid.

That they will but the alcohol manufacturers are well financed and will get the best legal teams available to fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tfmf

Minimum price will affect the pubs, most sell bottled beer from the supermarket anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In theory, however they could draw a distinction between off licence sales and pub sales etc and increase the tax that way, but it would be even more transparent that it is puerly favour of VFI and unlikely (hopefully) to happen.

Would this not be even more likely to be ruled as anti-competitive by the ECJ?

My understanding of Europe's competition laws is that the EU is not a fan of promoting one sector over another in similar circumstances, in other words that the EU's competition laws are likely to prohibit the deliberate hammering of one market sector over another selling the same product.

In that context, I really can't imagine that a tax on a certain product which differentiates between the venues where that product is sold would be found to be legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Would this not be even more likely to be ruled as anti-competitive by the ECJ?

My understanding of Europe's competition laws is that the EU is not a fan of promoting one sector over another in similar circumstances, in other words that the EU's competition laws are likely to prohibit the deliberate hammering of one market sector over another selling the same product.

In that context, I really can't imagine that a tax on a certain product which differentiates between the venues where that product is sold would be found to be legal.

I think from reading the BBC article here that the ruling was indeed like you say a compettion one, but also a free trade one from Europe on a whole, that is obviouly my own interpertation however, the article just says;
    BBC wrote:
    The Court of Justice considers that the effect of the Scottish legislation is significantly to restrict the market

This could be a competition ruling within Europe just as much as it could be off license vs pub.
    You would have to imagine however that they looked at it objectively from a European wide standpoint that if this was to pass in Scotland with Ireland so quick on its heels it would only be a matter of time before it rippled across Europe.
    Meaning that there would be a massive loss of revenue and jobs across Europe, yes there might be health benefits if the consumption was reduced.
    The lower priced budget brand alcohol manufacturers might aswell close their doors if it passed and made a can of dutch gold or bottle of beer dór the same price as a can of Grolsch.

On the larger scale while in Tenerife during the summer months I was able to purchase a bottle of Rioja for less than €2 and it was very tasty, if this law did pass and it rippled across Europe where it could be said the attitude to alcohol is a healthier one, it could have massive economic impacts.

Granted its an infographic but worldmapper.org has a poster that illistrates the point
    "Alcohol and cigarettes account for 0.9% of money spent on international trade. Western European territories alone profit from two thirds of the worldwide net exports. Regional exports from Western Europe are 72% of all regional exports. France and the Netherlands have the highest value of
    exports, and both these territories are in the top ten list of net exporters by population."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Custardpi wrote: »

Pretty much correct. Currently off sales can be as low as 20% of pub prices. Leos new laws would have meant they rose up to 40% of the price of pubs, it was a law deliberately targeted at off licences whilst avoiding any negative impact for publicans. In fact publicans thought they stood to gain as less people might drink at home as a result. Now thats not going to happen so anyone who likes to have a drink at home can celebrate.

haha I like your thinking. But if they did that the aluminium industry in the EU would be taking cases too. Plus I doubt it would be within EU trade laws to tax aluminium used for beer cans higher than aluminium used for other products. Sometimes the EU has way more common sense than our own politicians.

So to Leo we say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

So I just heard on the radio someone saying that because Ireland has such high tax on drink that it's proof taxes don't work to discourage drinking.

So we need to increase the prices more apparently.

Which makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,943 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We can't mention Slabs anymore. There is a sentence pending somewhere. LOL.

In other news.... The VFI are calling for MUP to be brought in anyway. Read it here, and don't be put off by them welcoming it broadly either, read to the end!!

http://www.vfi.ie/News/vfi-broadly-welcomes-ecj-judgement-on-mup-166

We can't mention Slabs anymore. There is a sentence pending somewhere. LOL.

In other news.... The VFI are calling for MUP to be brought in anyway. Read it here, and don't be put off by them welcoming it broadly either, read to the end!!

http://www.vfi.ie/News/vfi-broadly-welcomes-ecj-judgement-on-mup-166
    L O L

Absolute joke of an organisation. Complete hypocrites. Scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Basil3 wrote: »
    Maybe Irish people think tourists come here to drink pints in pubs?

If you do the Guinness brewery tour, you get a free pint. I've done it a few times with visiting relatives, and you'd be amazed how many tourists sip a bit of their free pint, then walk away.

Haha this is so true, I've been on it about 6 times in the past few years with people visiting from overseas. I've observed people the Gravity Bar taking a sip and then starting to gag, and saying things like "what the fcuk is this sh1t?" "Oh man, not good."

Poor lil yankee babies can't handle the stuff, they'd rather drink a half pint of some mule piss lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Up yours VFI :D

Up yours Fine Gael :D

No doubt the SNEAKY Government will be stubborn and will plead the we are stone broke excuse like they did with the VRT.

M

If the same thing was done in the motor trade where no car could be sold for less than €50k, every single manufacturer who sold a car previously below this price would find their business destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Advertisement