Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Grassroots_FF

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats a fair enough opinion but pub fixed prices also shouldn't be shoved down our throats either!
    Thats anti-competitive, possible illegal under European regulation rules - and frankly its bullying so that one line of businesses can be more oppressive over others!

I think it's a sad state of affairs that people are buying cheap lager in supermarkets and getting pissed in front of the tv rather then going to the local pub and interacting with the local community

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Usually publicans are fine upstanding members of the community.
    Seriously?
    You can sneer all you like but pubs play a vital role in communities. I'm friendly with my local publican and he sponsors the local hurling team and allows us to have our cumann meetings in the spare room upstairs. He always hosts alot of fundraising events for local causes.
    When hosting these events, for free, does he allow people to bring their own drink in with them, or do they have to pay for his drink?

I can sneer a lot f**king more.
    zagmund wrote: »
    It's not like a particular skill is going away. Pull lever, wait, pull lever, hand to punter, extract cash, done.
    The only "skill" that they should have is the ability to change kegs, and to be able to do some basic troubleshooting on why the pint isn't coming out well. Simple enough, but a lot of barstaff can't seem to do this. And even more publicans don't seem to care if the Budweiser tastes like Carlsberg, or if the Henio gives too much head.
    So if my local goes under who will sponsor the local hurling team and where will our cumann meetings be held?
    My local Spar sponsors one of the GAA teams.
    Small businesses can't compete with the economies of scale offered by big supermarket chains like Tesco. You should be supporting your local business and not British corporations.
    BY SUPPORTING TESCO'S I AM SUPPORTING MY COMMUNITY. I AM SUPPORTING THE EMPLOYMENT OF LOTS OF PEOPLE. WHAT THE HOLY F**K DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO?

DO YOU THINK I SHOULD SPEND TWICE THE AMOUNT I SPEND IN AN OFF LICENSE, FOR THE "PLEASURE" OF HAVING TO QUEUE 15 MINUTES TO GET IT?

AND WHEN IT IS F**KING NOT EVEN POURED RIGHT? WHEN IT'S TOO GASSY?

DO YOU?

=-=

Why should the government offer you any protection? Name one thing that a non-alcoholic club could not give, aside from alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think it's a sad state of affairs that people are buying cheap lager in supermarkets and getting pissed in front of the tv rather then going to the local pub and interacting with the local community

People have house-parties, can invite anyone they choose.

Or if you want to be fancy, you can invite people around for dinner parties and a few bottles of wine.

Or, drink with your gang at home and then head out late in the night

Maybe you have it in your head people just get drunk on their own and cry themselves to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pub: 3 choices of beer, and one choice of cider.

Off-license, supermarket, etc: at least 8 choices of beer, at least 3 choices of cider.

=-=

What do I do? I buy cider, go to a friends house, and have a laugh over there.

As opposed to going to a pub, getting pissed, and having some drunken scumbag start a fight with me?

the_syco wrote: »
    BY SUPPORTING TESCO'S I AM SUPPORTING MY COMMUNITY. I AM SUPPORTING THE EMPLOYMENT OF LOTS OF PEOPLE. WHAT THE HOLY F**K DO YOU THINK I SHOULD DO?

DO YOU THINK I SHOULD SPEND TWICE THE AMOUNT I SPEND IN AN OFF LICENSE, FOR THE "PLEASURE" OF HAVING TO QUEUE 15 MINUTES TO GET IT?

AND WHEN IT IS F**KING NOT EVEN POURED RIGHT? WHEN IT'S TOO GASSY?

DO YOU?

=-=

Why should the government offer you any protection? Name one thing that a non-alcoholic club could not give, aside from alcohol?

There is absolutely no need for that sort of abuse. All I'm saying is tesco repatriate their profits to Britain while if you spend money in the local pub then it probably keeps the money in the community.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes, let go out and spend two/three times as much for the same pleasure of getting pissed!
    ..And while we are at it, as we are in a public place, lets make a nuisance of ourselves and maybe even get the Gardi called up!

But hey, all is good... the bar owner made more of a profit that night so alls well!

(God forbid we might be able to interact with communities beyond a bar - should that happen, what will the world ever come to!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

It's not your job to tell people how to live or give publicans a leg up by enforcing yet another Fianna Fáil sponsored cartel.

Kindly fuck off, Fianna Fáil. Your days of greed are over. Nobody wants to hear you evacuate the contents of your bowel through your mouth anymore.

(Not directed at the poster, but rather the party implied)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

There is absolutely no need for that sort of abuse. All I'm saying is tesco repatriate their profits to Britain while if you spend money in the local pub then it probably keeps the money in the community.

Unless the owner(s) of the local pub are buying only locally produced produce from only local small businesses (not bloody likely) this is simply not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

If they bring a min price on alcohol it will just drive people back up the north for it.
    I for one did not go up north to shop this Xmas because I could get good deals on food and drink by shopping around down here...

If that changed however i wouldnt hesitate to start taking more day trips to Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

skelliser wrote: »
    no greens are publicans
    no one on the labour front bench is a publican

http://www.greenparty.ie/people/mark_dearey Didn't get elected to the Dail, handed a seat in the seanad.

• Advertisement

strobe wrote: »
    Unless the owner(s) of the local pub are buying only locally produced produce from only local small businesses (not bloody likely) this is simply not the case.

Tesco buy hardly any local produce and import most foods from Britain. At least Dunnes isn't too bad. Ben Dunne has always been a good patriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Couldn't agree more, I think it's disgusting and offensive that any industry these days would dare ask the government to step in and artifically interfere with the market, for the purposes of keeping the price of anything high.

Another insulting notion circulated by these gimps in the drinks industry representative groups very recently is that people are being unresponsible drinking at home where they are drinking "unsupervised".

How dare any person tell me as an adult that I need to be supervised in a pub if I drink as opposed to deciding to drink at home. Meanwhile if I have 100 Euro in my arse pocket I can go down to the pub and there isn't a barman I know who wouldn't continue to serve me once I had money for drink.

There is a greater risk to my health drinking in a pub with disgusting toliets with floors full of p*ss where I could slip, or getting knocked on the way home by some drunken driver that they have served, than me having a few cans at home or a glass or two of wine.

Some of the rubbish that these folks are coming out with, you'd have to ask how seriously deluded they are, telling grown adults that they need to be supervised when drinking, when we all know that publicans will keep serving you as long as you have money and in any event, the vast vast majority of people are well able to supervise themselves and their alcohol consumption regardless of where they are enjoying a drink.

Then to suggest that the government set in and artifically adjust the market, seriously are these people on Class A drugs or something???

Again agree 100%.

Pubs have been getting away with murder for years.

Id happily see most of them fail until they bring down prices by 50% to encourage people to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tesco buy hardly any local produce and import most foods from Britain. At least Dunnes isn't too bad. Ben Dunne has always been a good patriot.

The profits for Dunnes Stores are divided up among a few owners. Fair enough.

Anyone can invest in Tesco and the shares have done well, not a bad investment.
    If you have a pension fund, there is a good chance it has shares in Tesco.

I don't buy "the difference is we're Irish" line from Dunnes

This is the same patriotic Ben Dunne who was found by the McCracken Tribunal of knowingly assisting Fine Gaels Michael Lowry to evade tax? The same Ben Dunne who has given large amounts of money (out of the goodness of his heart I am sure) to multiple politicians over the years including former Prime Swindler of Ireland Charlie Haughey? Or is it a different patriotic founder of Dunnes Stores you are referring to?

I have no particular interest in defending Tesco's but the "hardly any local produce" they buy include E2,000,000,000 worth of Irish food and drink annually, sold in their stores here, in Britain and in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Name an Irish owned beer that is served in most pubs. Hint: it ain't Guinness.

and while your at it getting us to the pub to 'interact with the local community', give me the free money to go back to the pub as I cannot afford the high drink prices and I have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

I think it's a sad state of affairs that people are buying cheap lager in supermarkets and getting pissed in front of their kids. For that reason alone, I think something needs to be done about about cheap alcohol available in supermarkets.

gurramok wrote: »
    Name an Irish owned beer that is served in most pubs.

Is there an answer to this?

Beamish?

strobe wrote: »
    This is the same patriotic Ben Dunne who was found by the McCracken Tribunal of knowingly assisting Fine Gaels Michael Lowry to evade tax? The same Ben Dunne who has given large amounts of money (out of the goodness of his heart I am sure) to multiple politicians over the years including former Prime Swindler of Ireland Charlie Haughey? Or is it a different patriotic founder of Dunnes Stores you are referring to?

Allegedly. At the end of the day the Dunnes are Irish and have done very well for themselves. We should be supporting our own business people and not the tescos of the world.

Allegedly. At the end of the day the Dunnes are Irish and have done very well for themselves. We should be supporting our own business people and not the tescos of the world.
    Yes, lets fix prices and put other Irish shops and Irish based supermarkets under pressure so a local pub owner can try and get more profit! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Is there an answer to this?

Beamish?

No Beamish is now part of the Heineken stable :(
    There are many, but not that are available in most pubs yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

You should be supporting your local business and not British corporations.

I'll support my family, fcuk the rip off merchant publicans

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

I think the pubs only have themselves to blame for their downturn. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have 4 pubs on one street?
    there is about 14 or more on my small town main street

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Splendour wrote: »
    I think it's a sad state of affairs that people are buying cheap lager in supermarkets and getting pissed in front of their kids. For that reason alone, I think something needs to be done about about cheap alcohol available in supermarkets.
    Although you could also lower the drinking age and have fun for all the family :pac:

Splendour wrote: »

Cause when they get pissed in the pubs they are given cloaks of invisibility so that their kids don't see them when they come home steaming drunk?

Why should I, or the many other responsible parents in the country be penalised for the actions of idiots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Small businesses can't compete with the economies of scale offered by big supermarket chains like Tesco. You should be supporting your local business and not British corporations.

Its the British corporations that allow us to buy luxury items that won't have us re-mortgage the house. Buy local? Come off it! The reason the majority of the country goes shopping in Tesco is because they're cheaper! Simple as that...lower your prices if you want to see people in your establishments - its not rocket science.

Or **** off altogether, either way...it's all the same to us. Long live British corporation....the Irish are so far removed from reality with their prices, its laughable at this stage lads. Most publicans would rather shut up shop than drop their tags...you deserve it...the Tiger is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Business is all about supply and demand. The demand is gone, get over it and move on.

I would be interested to know the duty on wine. I'm not asking, I'll check it myself. I'm just wondering out loud here.

Having been to France, wine is still crazy expensive in Ireland.
    Yes I know you cannot directly compare countries.

For sure there is a lot of cost price selling in supermarkets. Wines have continued to be expensive though. Or just seem expensive to me

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Yes you can compare them, and you can also compare their overheads and see very clearly that the bigger organisation has higher overheads, but has more customers that those overheads get spread across. The business financial models are completely different, but they are comparable.

There are only two facts relevant here:

(1) No other industry in Ireland is as ruthless when marking up their products as the publicans in this country.

(2) No other industry does as much moaning about lack of custom and trade, despite the fact that they are behind the highest gross profit margins being applied to retail consumer products in this country. Show me any other business that is currently moaning about having no customers but is yet still marking up their products 4-5 times what those products cost them?!?!?

There is clearly a relationship between (1) and (2) above and the sooner these goons start waking up to it and stop p*ssing everyone off with their whinging, the sooner they might have viable businesses to run.

Again BANG on the money!

Could it be explained any easier.

Pubs need to chose..... get with the times or get left behind and face closer.

• Advertisement

Came across this last year:
    A programme on television the other night said that something like 40% of backbenchers are publicans.

That programme was RTE's Rip-Off Republic which successfully set out to debunk the theory that densely pub-populated areas, like Athy, Co Kildare, produce more alcoholics. On the contrary, Dublin - with 35% of the national population but only nine per cent of its licences - has major drink problems. The programme also reported that a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc starting out life at a cost of €2.05, costs €24 in Irish restaurants.
    http://www.soldiersofdestiny.org/tddrinklobbyscandal.htm

Advertisement