Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RichieC wrote: »
    The good pubs should survive... a bit of innovation, landlords, that's what it takes.
    actually less innovation

most pubs are the same in that they spend huge amounts of money on a makeover every few years, when what punters want is a pub with a bit of real character (which is in danger of being lost during a makeover) and a cheapish pint

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    In a normal market prices are controlled by the customer. The pub trade is far from a normal market as it has to pander to the VFI as well as deal with regulation.
    not to mention they can veto any new premesis within 100+ meters of their location

also you need to buy an existing pub license and what evidence is there that pub license prices have dropped ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

not to mention they can veto any new premesis within 100+ meters of their location

?? How?
    also you need to buy an existing pub license and what evidence is there that pub license prices have dropped ??

Pub licences are worth far less than what they were, you can buy a pub with a licence for less than €300k, substantially reducing the licence value. you could arguably get a licence now for €80k where as 10 years ago it would have been €180k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Asked OH what a pint of Guinness is locally: 3.60. Don't know if that is a lot or not as I don't drink that sh*te :D.

EGAR wrote: »
    Asked OH what a pint of Guinness is locally: 3.60. Don't know if that is a lot or not as I don't drink that sh*te :D.

Its very good imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I had to laugh. There was a publican on the Frontline last week who wanted the government to give her a hackney licence, so she could drive her regular customers home from the pub, and charge them for doing so ! No wonder the pub trade is in such a state. What customer is going to agree to that ?
    If you take money from someone for providing them transport, you can get in trouble for it legally. Also, if she crashed whilst driving them home (or some drunk crashed into her), having a passenger would probably void her insurance. I think this is why she wanted the hackney license.

Think of it this way: after spending the day drinking, you can get a lift home to your house for a fiver a head. And if you think that is dear, consider that in most rural settings, the local pub may be a twenty minutes to an hours drive "down the road".
    mikemac wrote: »
    It doesn't take much of a downturn or our greedy council to jack up rates to put many of these in trouble
    Once none of the council members are not publicans or EA's that rent out the pubs as well...
    EGAR wrote: »
    Is that in or near Tuam, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

the_syco wrote: »
    Is that in or near Tuam, by any chance?

Nowhere near Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Perhaps the smaller, weaker pubs should band together and operate a co-op or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

But most people I know wouldn't drink if you paid them!! under the requisite fee ...

So what'yr offering, publicans.. with all your, shïtty decor and crap distractions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd admit I am p**sed but seriously the pub is not dying by all means just that the cost of drink has gone up a bit and that people tend to drink a home sometimes like myself, more cost effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Perhaps the smaller, weaker pubs should band together and operate a co-op or something.
    It's not called a co-op in Ireland, it's called a cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

There is no cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I think the government should put a strict maximum on the number per day a photocopier is allowed to print. Otherwise it's not fair on the girls in the typing room OR to typewriter manufacturers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

kissthesky wrote: »
    There is no cartel.

You sir are an idiot. Way to make your first post count.

I will take my ban with gusto. Im sure that the mod giving it secretly agrees anyway.

Mod Note: user banned for this post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

kissthesky wrote: »
    There is no cartel.

Please explain the VFI so..

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

The only reason the pub trade is dying is because a lot of people have wised up and realise 4.50 is too much to pay for a pint when you can buy 20 bottles for 20 euro in any supermarket.

I was abroad last week and the beer was 1.50 a pint yet the pub seemed to be doing quite well. The only way customers will come back to pubs in great numbers is to lower the price. Its simple economics, or you could take the really irish view and raise the price because you are not selling enough.

Either way i dont care, but if i feel like i am being ripped off then i wont drink in the same place again.

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    The only reason the pub trade is dying is because a lot of people have wised up and realise 4.50 is too much to pay for a pint when you can buy 20 bottles for 20 euro in any supermarket.

I wouldn't say people are wising up at all, they just can't afford to pay the pubs prices so they get it in the supermarket instead.

Now the publicans want to fix the prices....if that comes about, then people will just stop buying it. I don't know why they think it will stop people looking for a good deal and go back to their pubs.

bryaner wrote: »
    Please explain the VFI so..

Its an organization like any union. Working on behalf of its members!!

Is this really the opinion of people?? Thats its a cartel?

The VFI is there to represent it's members. Its an organization like any union.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ardinn wrote: »

Yep.

You actually seem surprised. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

ardinn wrote: »
    Its an organization like any union. Working on behalf of its members!!

The VFI is there to represent it's members. Its an organization like any union.

It influences government to pass laws which don't suit the majority. Like closing the off licences at 10pm for some pathetic reason.

But hey - that's how democracy doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pint of London Pride please !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

die thread

*stabs repeatedly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

F*ck the pubs!
    And no, I aint no hungry / tight / begruder / moany person.
    People open pubs to make money. Earn a living. If I had the money & desire I would do the same. Its business. You cant fault them on that. However, thats one side of the coin.

The other side of the proverbial coin is I cant accept paying 6+ euro for a pint of beer. Thers a point between acceptable (or fair) and just getting into you.

I remember buying my ex-gf a 'fat frog" in Qbar and it came to €19.20. The same drink I could of bought and mixed from an off license for 5 euro. How is that added 14.20 justified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

CoolHat wrote: »
    F*ck the pubs!
    And no, I aint no hungry / tight / begruder / moany person.
    People open pubs to make money. Earn a living. If I had the money & desire I would do the same. Its business. You cant fault them on that. However, thats one side of the coin.

The other side of the proverbial coin is I cant accept paying 6+ euro for a pint of beer. Thers a point between acceptable (or fair) and just getting into you.

I remember buying my ex-gf a 'fat frog" in Qbar and it came to €19.20. The same drink I could of bought and mixed from an off license for 5 euro. How is that added 14.20 justified?

Anyone who buys fat frogs deserves to get ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The 3 ills of irish society

the Priests
    the Politicians
    the Publicans

which "union" immediately killed off the idea of cafe bars?
    which "union" forced offies to close at 10pm?

skelliser wrote: »
    The 3 ills of irish society

the Priests
    the Politicians
    the Publicans

which "union" immediately killed off the idea of cafe bars?
    which "union" forced offies to close at 10pm?

In his defence, he said they are a union looking after it's members interests.
    I think the points you made definitely amount to looking after their members interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

what next, retailers looking for extra tax on internet sales, restaurants seeking minimun prices on food, also makes me laugh that the main vocalists against cigarette smuggling are newsagents, alcohol being sold in supermarkets and the pub trade are 2 different markets, if pubs can attract customers then whose problem is, do we distort the entire market to keep these legalised drug dealers in the manner they're used to .
    If you cant bring in customers something is wrong in your pricing or your product

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The VFI is nothing more than a greedy lobby group lobbying on behalf of greedy members. If there is any need for price control it is at the max price end of the spectrum and not minimum prices.

People aren't as stupid as publicans and that's why the pub trade is dying.

I just don't get this country sometimes, fishermen, taxi drivers and publicans...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Most towns in Ireland have too many pubs.. they don't have a "right" to stay in business... I'd say that half the pubs in any town could close and there would still be enough places to go out....
    There are so many that are just there to money grab rather than provide a decent experience for the punter...

Advertisement