Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Dionysus wrote: »
    I agree entirely about the obnoxiously invasive noise level in the average Irish pub. But I'd add my own bête noire: soccer on the tv. Nothing has turned me off pubs as much as the fact that it's near impossible to find a pub on an evening for a quiet chat whenever there's some British soccer match on. For refusing to facilitate the vast majority of this country which has no interest in soccer, the publicans concerned deserve to be out of business. No sympathy, none whatever.

* Pubs without tv, like Grogan's and The Gravediggers, are excepted from above rant.

Best post on the thread. Another thing I have noticed is the Irish "Barstooler" who gets all emotional for British soccer in pubs is a peculiar sort of simpleton. As if the combination of booze and digital TV has fried their brains. I used to wonder why so many League of Ireland supporters hate the typical Irish, sorry "Oirish" soccer support who follows a British club on the the telly. Go to any pub in Ireland, especially on a Sunday and you can understand why. Yet these embarrassments are now the core business of the VFI these days. Then they wonder why no one else will go to their overpriced pubs.

These mad publicans have murdered their own business with British soccer. I know a tiny pub in a small Sligo town with two large TVs on either end of the bar which is only about 30 feet long. They are always on two seperate British soccer matches with the volume up full and in the middle a radio blasting 2FM.

The place it dying. Good riddence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I agree wholeheartedly. The sooner the better too.

But one small problem I have with these type of pubs is that they won't die until they have destroyed all of our alternative options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Dionysus wrote: »
    I agree entirely about the obnoxiously invasive noise level in the average Irish pub. But I'd add my own bête noire: soccer on the tv. Nothing has turned me off pubs as much as the fact that it's near impossible to find a pub on an evening for a quiet chat whenever there's some British soccer match on. For refusing to facilitate the vast majority of this country which has no interest in soccer, the publicans concerned deserve to be out of business. No sympathy, none whatever.

* Pubs without tv, like Grogan's and The Gravediggers, are excepted from above rant.

Best post on the thread. Another thing I have noticed is the Irish "Barstooler" who gets all emotional for British soccer in pubs is a peculiar sort of simpleton. As if the combination of booze and digital TV has fried their brains. I used to wonder why so many League of Ireland supporters hate the typical Irish, sorry "Oirish" soccer support who follows a British club on the the telly. Go to any pub in Ireland, especially on a Sunday and you can understand why. Yet these embarrassments are now the core business of the VFI these days. Then they wonder why no one else will go to their overpriced pubs.

These mad publicans have murdered their own business with British soccer. I know a tiny pub in a small Sligo town with two large TVs on either end of the bar which is only about 30 feet long. They are always on two seperate British soccer matches with the volume up full and in the middle a radio blasting 2FM.

No wonder it's dying. 2FM on a Saturday afternoon. What are they thinking?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

How come bar tenders are reluctant to serve women? I was in many pubs when I was younger and I was waiting and waiting but they serve everyone before me. The same things happen to my female friends. If your women your likely to get ignored if your asking for a drink. Why is this? I didn't experience this anywhere else except here but I have been abroad many times. That is why I don't like going to pubs here. So it doesn't surprise me that pubs here are dying out, there are good few ignorant bar tenders aswell as door staff so what goes around comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

How come bar tenders are reluctant to serve women? I was in many pubs when I was younger and I was waiting and waiting but they serve everyone before me. The same things happen to my female friends. If your women your likely to get ignored if your asking for a drink. Why is this? I didn't experience this anywhere else except here but I have been abroad many times. That is why I don't like going to pubs here. So it doesn't surprise me that pubs here are dying out, there are good few ignorant bar tenders aswell as door staff so what goes around comes around.

you really believe barmen, in general, serve women LESS than men first?? lol...

• Advertisement

i always think that girls tend to get served first! i worked in a pub for 4 years in college and know 2 ex-colleagues that consciously did this! they were both sad creeps though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

You deserve a pint after that fabulous synopsis of barstoolers. One minor point. They had no brains to fry in the first place.

Also as mentioned the best places tend to be without plasmas e.g. Grogans, Peter's Pub etc.

A few years back spent a very pleasant afternoon listening to nothing in Fallons in the Coombe. Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Not everyone can afford sports packages at home, so the pub is the only place they can watch soccer matches, plus you might be meeting friends to watch together, so again, the pub is the natural alternative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

tigger123 wrote: »
    so the pub is the only place they can watch soccer matches, plus you might be meeting friends to watch together, so again, the pub is the natural alternative.

Dalymount, Tallaght Stadium, Turners Cross, Oriel Park, Tolka Park... etc.

That's where the real Irish soccer fans are. They are not driving the rest of us mad while we are trying to have a beer with some notion of civilisation and even evolution connected to it.

The VFI turned Irish pubs into zoos and they filled up with monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't mind TVs showing football in bars but in places that have the room, it's nice to have an area with none so those who who want their peace and quiet aren't put out. But it has to be for 'big' sports events only. There's no need to be showing Reading vs Millwall. And don't leave it on Sky News when there's no game on. Leave it off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

In my experience it's the total opposite. Women seem to get preferential treatment from bar staff in pubs and I've regularly seen women walk up to the bar in clubs and get served ahead of men that having been waiting their turn for several minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think we should leave the price of alcohol, and instead raise the drinking age. And put any young ones caught drinking underage into penal camps. Then the rest of us can finally enjoy a night out in peace :D

We still have too many pubs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Leave the prices the way they are so a "theory of natural selection" can take place and only the most competitive pubs in both price and service will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Good the sooner we stop looking to spend 50 euro to sit in a noisey little room all night with gobsheenes for entertainment the better.

Don't get me wrong but there are not many alternatives to the pub and frankly with small towns that have 5-18(I counted :P) pubs of course they are going to die out now that spending is slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

@ VFI - it's called competition, tough sh1t. Like it or leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am strongly tempted to give the dying pub trade a much needed injection of cash tonight.

But I should say no.

neil_hosey wrote: »
    you really believe barmen, in general, serve women LESS than men first?? lol...

No but they usually ignored me on many occasions in many different bars, at this stage if I was in a pub I would not be surprised if I was ignored. This happens to my friends and to my mother many many times. Maybe they are intimidated by intelligent women who have a bit of respect for themselves because I really don't know.

i always think that girls tend to get served first! i worked in a pub for 4 years in college and know 2 ex-colleagues that consciously did this! they were both sad creeps though

I don't know I hate going to pubs, this even happen to me in pubs in Dublin! I remember myself and my friend were out with our class and both of us went to get a drink but the bar tender ignored us so we asked one of our male friends to get us a drink. The only pubs I would go to now if I was given a choice is the touristy pubs, there are about the only place I know for sure they will serve me. This happen to me in some nigh clubs aswell usually the only ones who serves me is the foreign bar tenders. It happens to my friends aswell I remember a few christmas parties down the years I was at and I remember a few of the girls got ignored and some of them had to wait for 15mins before he acknowedge them.

I have come to the conclusion if your a women who is feminine and lady like and intelligent, men are intimidated by this so they don't serve you.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

The trick is not to stand there like a lemon waiting until a batman spots you.

Sounds a bit harsh put like that
    But I've been there. The trick is to catch a bar mams eye. Wave or signal. If they're free they come over. If not they get to you next / or in whatever order people have caught their attention in.

I don't think it (service) has anything to do with how I look. Over the years I've been at the bar in a small dress, maxi dresses or trousers etc.

If you don't make your presence known and be more forward about the fact you're there waiting for service (particularly in a bar that isn't dead) how are they to know you want service and aren't waiting on someone or are currently being served or whatever? Then you get the wagons of both sex that do make their wishes for service known -and get served first. Because the single file queue doesn't exist.

Anyway it's just another one for the irishmans rule book of pubs!

I think the reason they're dying is the price. People know they can get a lot for the same price at the offie and don't have the disposable cash for pubs.
    The smoking ban didn't help the pub trade but the pub trade didn't suffer much in the early days of the ban. No, it's simple issue of knowledge of the rip off

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    The trick is not to stand there like a lemon waiting until a batman spots you.

Sounds a bit harsh put like that
    But I've been there. The trick is to catch a bar mams eye. Wave or signal. If they're free they come over. If not they get to you next / or in whatever order people have caught their attention in.

I don't think it (service) has anything to do with how I look. Over the years I've been at the bar in a small dress, maxi dresses or trousers etc.

If you don't make your presence known and be more forward about the fact you're there waiting for service (particularly in a bar that isn't dead) how are they to know you want service and aren't waiting on someone or are currently being served or whatever? Then you get the wagons of both sex that do make their wishes for service known -and get served first. Because the single file queue doesn't exist.

Anyway it's just another one for the irishmans rule book of pubs!

I think the reason they're dying is the price. People know they can get a lot for the same price at the offie and don't have the disposable cash for pubs.
    The smoking ban didn't help the pub trade but the pub trade didn't suffer much in the early days of the ban. No, it's simple issue of knowledge of the rip off

Well It only ever happens here like in Ireland nowhere else. Well I don't stand there like a statue. What I usually do, is what you said I try catching the eye of the bar tender and say 'hello' to get their attention so If or when they look in the direction where I am, I might get their attention. In alot of pubs here there isn't all that much of a friendily atmostphere, if you go into pub outside the city centre, the locals usually look at you and you feel like your not welcome or your doing something wrong by just being there. They are complaining about their trade dying, well what goes around comes around; why would people pay extra for a drink in a place that is unwelcoming and unfriendily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

No but they usually ignored me on many occasions in many different bars, at this stage if I was in a pub I would not be surprised if I was ignored. This happens to my friends and to my mother many many times. Maybe they are intimidated by intelligent women who have a bit of respect for themselves because I really don't know.
    I think it's very obvious what is going on......

You are just insanely ugly.

I joke, i really do joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Rather than the having a minimum price for alcohol in supermarkets,
    I'd prefer to see bars being allowed do specials on certain nights,
    i.e. 2 euro pints on a Thursday or something.
    The media would prob have a field day saying it promots binge drinking etc..

Degag wrote: »
    I think it's very obvious what is going on......

You are just insanely ugly.

I joke, i really do joke!

Well if i was 'insanely ugly' or didn't look 'normal' like If a person had a facial disfigurement, not serving someone because of these things is insanely discriminating but nothing surprises me about pubs here anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think tall people get served first (regardless of their gender).

I would say that, because I'm short, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

I have no sympathy for the publicans and hope a lot of them go out of business. Most of them are nothing but ignorant, greedy b*stards to be honest.

I also agree with some of the posts about the locals in some of the smaller pubs not welcoming the outsiders-I experienced this myself when I went into one or two pubs in the local village and they looked at me like I had 3 heads! Talk about backwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

VFI is the reason the pub trade is dying... not supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

Simple answer for the pubs to win back the public who have turned their backs on their establishment. LOWER YOUR PRICES AND STOP CHARGING RIDICULOUS PRICES FOR SOFT DRINKS!!! It's really that simple!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

TONY DAY wrote: »
    Simple answer for the pubs to win back the public who have turned their backs on their establishment. LOWER YOUR PRICES AND STOP CHARGING RIDICULOUS PRICES FOR SOFT DRINKS!!! It's really that simple!!

oh and thwow him to the Floow sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

You've lost me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

TONY DAY wrote: »
    You've lost me!!!
    Im with you on soft drinks! A mixer is WAY too expensive and what about families that used to have a pub lunch. But soft drinks for the kids are too dear. And people who don't drink/designated drivers

Advertisement