Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

I know. But that situation is rare. The formula industry want you to think it is common (which is obviously nonsense unless human evolution took a very odd turn somewhere along the line).

Breastfeeding rates in Norway are well north of 90%, and I don't believe there's anything biologically different about Norwegians?

Its just not convenient to breast feed all the time and also its hard work for women and they simply don't want to do every time the child is hungry or after the first couple of weeks/months.

I find it far stranger with women who are breastfeeding a child that's a year old and because of it have to build their whole life around feeding the child.

Its just not convenient to breast feed all the time and also its hard work for women and they simply don't want to do every time the child is hungry or after the first couple of weeks/months.

I find it far stranger with women who are breastfeeding a child that's a year old and because of it have to build their whole life around feeding the child.

You find a woman feeding a baby natural human milk as 'strange'?

Anyway, we're miles off topic, the point was that minimum pricing of formula milk is designed to stop the standard dirty tricks that producers engage in.

For the record, I am firmly opposed to a minimum price for booze!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I know. But that situation is rare. The formula industry want you to think it is common (which is obviously nonsense unless human evolution took a very odd turn somewhere along the line).

Breastfeeding rates in Norway are well north of 90%, and I don't believe there's anything biologically different about Norwegians?

Well, they tend to be rather tall. So they've got that going for'em.

We spent a couple of weeks trying to do it with our kid. She went to support groups as well and there were a number of women having difficulty with it, along with their babies not taking to it.

I think the pro-breast feeding movement is making too big a deal of it being "natural." We all know it's natural, but that doesn't mean it has to be the right way, as it's so often presented. Its very stressfull when it doesn't work as I'm sure you're aware for both the mother and the baby. Then having to deal with baby formula being over priced for the sake of it. It's downright insulting.

Just like this proposed legislation on minimum cost alcohol.

You find a woman feeding a baby natural human milk as 'strange'?

!

Not at all but I've seen a few scenarios lately with friends of friends where one of the group is breastfeeding and all events have to be done to suit the mother who is breastfeeding even though it inconveniences the others because the mother in question refuses to give a bottle to a child which is around a year old.

Contrast that with an other mother I know who have no problem alternating between breastfeeding and formula with the baby is a month old.

Breast milk is best (especially in the first few weeks) but formula is prefectly safe and healthy despite some of the breastfeeding movement making out like its liquid uranium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

irish people continue getting absolutely RIPPED at every opportunity.

i go to the pub all the time - but not in this country.

by not going to the pub about 3 weekends in a row, i have enough saved by for a HOLIDAY.

you get to go on holidays when you dont go out. there's nothing out there anyway!!! stay in, get a bottle of tipple of choice (or beers or whatever) and enjoy it at home.

that way, while all the idiots who go out spending hundreds are nursing their hangovers, and getting the weekly shopping on their overdrawn credit cards, you're swanning off to your holidays abroad (with money in your pocket), where you can actually ENJOY going out because you dont get RIPPED.

and, you feel extra smug by not giving enda and the gang your hard earned cash!
    i'd rather it go to other, more tanned, corrupt polititians who you dont have to see rub it in your face on a daily basis!

IRELAND - a kip in every way.

• Advertisement

irish people continue getting absolutely RIPPED at every opportunity.

i go to the pub all the time - but not in this country.

by not going to the pub about 3 weekends in a row, i have enough saved by for a HOLIDAY.

you get to go on holidays when you dont go out. there's nothing out there anyway!!! stay in, get a bottle of tipple of choice (or beers or whatever) and enjoy it at home.

that way, while all the idiots who go out spending hundreds are nursing their hangovers, and getting the weekly shopping on their overdrawn credit cards, you're swanning off to your holidays abroad (with money in your pocket), where you can actually ENJOY going out because you dont get RIPPED.

and, you feel extra smug by not giving enda and the gang your hard earned cash!
    i'd rather it go to other, more tanned, corrupt polititians who you dont have to see rub it in your face on a daily basis!

IRELAND - a kip in every way.

To be honest I'd rather go out every weekend and enjoy myself after a weeks work than sit in and have a week somewhere every few months. That said its not a trade off I have to make as I can afford to go out regularly and get a holiday or two a year also.

To be honest I'd rather go out every weekend and enjoy myself after a weeks work than sit in and have a week somewhere every few months. That said its not a trade off I have to make as I can afford to go out regularly and get a holiday or two a year also.

oh, a holiday or two... lovely.

i go on about 6 or 7 a year...

the best part being - you dont have to put up with all the g!mps that frequent the pubs in this country either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What would you know about it? Opinions on breastfeeding is very much like a penis. You don't ram it down other people's throats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What would you know about it? Opinions on breastfeeding is very much like a penis. You don't ram it down other people's throats.

I thought he had mentioned before he was a nurse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I thought he had mentioned before he was a nurse?

Don't really care what he is. A woman does not have to explain why she doesn't breastfeed her child.

• Advertisement

Don't really care what he is. A woman does not have to explain why she doesn't breastfeed her child.

Was I asking anyone to?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe it's interfering with her boozing,the government need to look after the likes of her better.Minimum pricing for alcohol will help breastfeeding countrywide.

the best part being - you dont have to put up with all the g!mps that frequent the pubs in this country either...

I'd have no interest in going on 6 or 7 holidays a year to be honest especially at the expense of drinking in pubs at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

What happened this thread? Its all tits and wierdos

I'd have no interest in going on 6 or 7 holidays a year to be honest especially at the expense of drinking in pubs at the weekend.

I would imagine that for the average working stiff (like me) it's time off rather than money that limits how many holidays they take a year anyway.

Everyone to their own I suppose!

I personally, prefer getting out of this kip country at any given opportunity.

can i ask though - genuine question - WHAT exactly is it that draws you to the pub every weekend? are you single and on the pull or do you use it as a way to meet friends (cos it's the only way in this country in fairness)...

i just dont see the appeal of going to some gammy pub filled with twats to queue up to get watered down whiskey, when i could enjoy a bottle fill at home and go to way more glamorous and exciting locations to spend my money on going "out" out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

drumswan wrote: »
    What happened this thread? Its all tits and wierdos

This thread is now trivially annoying me. Give me real stuff folks.

Practicing what i preach.....Mine is my nail biting habit, driving me mental!

can i ask though - genuine question - WHAT exactly is it that draws you to the pub every weekend? are you single and on the pull or do you use it as a way to meet friends (cos it's the only way in this country in fairness)...

i just dont see the appeal of going to some gammy pub filled with twats to queue up to get watered down whiskey, when i could enjoy a bottle fill at home and go to way more glamorous and exciting locations to spend my money on going "out" out...

What are you banging on about? Are you some from country hovel or what? Plenty of affluent and upscale spots in our fine capital for you to enjoy lad.

What are you banging on about? Are you some from country hovel or what? Plenty of affluent and upscale spots in our fine capital for you to enjoy lad.

nah, im a dub to the core... born and raised. i live in the city centre - maybe i'm just bored of the places in town. they're all crap, and most of them are full of kids.

well, kids being 20-25 year olds. the noise of them.

gimme vegas any day. twice a year now since i avoid spending ridiculous money here...

only irish pub i'd be happy drinking in, is the one in departures in the airport...

I have a very different opinion of Ireland also it would appear as I love Ireland and very much enjoy living here.

I enjoy drinking in pubs, getting proper draught Guinness, the atmosphere, meeting friends, the craic, unwinding, tunes playing good and loud and to be honest I don't think places are full of twats at all. I also go like going drinking with my gf as well as with the lads and wouldn't be unusual to go for pints during the week also at times as I really like the pub atmosphere (and the drink :pac:).

I'm not massively drawn to travelling personally, a week away somewhere is plenty, in fact last year was the first year in many years where I went abroad at all. I prefer using my holidays for things like race week in Galway, spending time at home, extra time off at Christmas to spend at home etc.

• Advertisement

nah, im a dub to the core... born and raised. i live in the city centre - maybe i'm just bored of the places in town. they're all crap, and most of them are full of kids.

well, kids being 20-25 year olds. the noise of them.

gimme vegas any day. twice a year now since i avoid spending ridiculous money here...

only irish pub i'd be happy drinking in, is the one in departures in the airport...
    LOL. Vegas is a vacuous, boorish, tacky obnoxious dump full of meth addicts, ten dollar whores and and fat people on fat scooters. Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

LOL. Vegas is a vacuous, boorish, tacky obnoxious dump full of meth addicts, ten dollar whores and and fat people on fat scooters. Good luck to you.

Sounds like you never been or you're only exposure if the main strip. You wasted a good holiday.

Caliden wrote: »
    Sounds like you never been or you're only exposure if the main strip. You wasted a good holiday.

I've been to Vegas. Fun for about two days. Please enlighten me as to the cultural delights I missed.

I do think it's a bit rich to be calling Ireland a kip and complaining about the pubs here and holding up Vegas as somewhere to aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Caliden wrote: »

I've been. I cannot stress how shiit it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's quite simple really.
    So long as we keep buying it, they will keep milking it.

The only thing that can reverse this is a plummet in sales.

Sure look at the roaring success that was the wine tax.

I thought 'dont bother' was going to regale us with his storied trips to the beer halls of Munich, the Real Ale spots of London, San Franciso's craft beer meccas or Belgiums wonderful beer cafes. Pub destinations of choice to be sure. instead he goes to Las Vegas to drink garish oversweetened cocktails served by slack jawed fake titted waitreseses. Ew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I thought 'dont bother' was going to regale us with his storied trips to the beer halls of Munich, the Real Ale spots of London, San Franciso's craft beer meccas or Belgiums wonderful beer cafes. Pub destinations of choice to be sure. instead he goes to Las Vegas to drink garish oversweetened cocktails served by slack jawed fake titted waitreseses. Ew.

What is more abundant in tits and weirdos than Vegas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Jaysus, gotta book a holiday there :D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I used to do that all the time when I lived in Ireland, especially since it's so cheap to travel around Europe in particular. Long weekends were always weekends away for me, especially Easter which was a nice 4 day weekend and no dry day on Good Friday to spoil the enjoyment of a few drinks :D

• Advertisement

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I used to that all the time when I was in Ireland, especially since it's so cheap to travel around Europe in particular. Long weekends were always weekends away for me, especially Easter which was a nice 4 day weekend and no dry day on Good Friday to spoil the enjoyment :D

exactly!!

you end up sometimes spending less (with a cheap flight) to go to some cool city in Europe than you would spend on some rubbish night in Dublin (or anywhere in Ireland) between taxi fares, drink prices, pre-drinking, food, etc etc...

abroad, it just doesnt seem to add up to anything close to 100 euro, whereas here, you'd spend that nearly before you enter a bar/club/pub...

only way you would make a saving on that, is if you could walk to your local, (which lets face it, you'd be bored with after a while) and sure if you're only going around the corner, why wouldnt you just stay in!?

it frustrates me also to NO end, that people in this country still defend this lunacy of spending hundreds in the pub and when asked what they like about it... they simply say ah sure i go "for the craic"!!!

wtf are you on about "the craic"... this doesnt actually exist. you have to create it yourself, and i find that when you are in a different country, with cheaper prices, better weather, better looking people, nicer more relaxed vibe, and legal weed.... that this "craic" can be given to you, rather than "created" by necessity to make up for the huge money you're spending on p!sswater and lining the pockets of legalised drug dealers.

PS: for anyone slagging off Vegas - you either haven't been, or are SO bog that you couldnt fit in with the scene there...

Advertisement