Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is possible to go to the pub and go to Las Vegas. I manage it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

you end up sometimes spending less (with a cheap flight) to go to some cool city in Europe than you would spend on some rubbish night in Dublin (or anywhere in Ireland) between taxi fares, drink prices, pre-drinking, food, etc etc...

No you wouldn't. Even with cheap flights, a weekend away, or even one day away abroad, would end up costing way more. Worth it, of course, to see something new, but no, it would never work out cheaper than a night out in Dublin, even with going out for dinner in Dublin first. You need to factor in the cost of everything for the foreign weekend, not just the night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

you end up sometimes spending less (with a cheap flight) to go to some cool city in Europe than you would spend on some rubbish night in Dublin (or anywhere in Ireland) between taxi fares, drink prices, pre-drinking, food, etc etc...
    What is this bolloxology? You can do the taster menu in Chapter One and a couple of glasses of craft beer for about 70 quid in Dublin, that wouldnt even cover your accommodation in a European city

exactly!!

abroad, it just doesnt seem to add up to anything close to 100 euro, whereas here, you'd spend that nearly before you enter a bar/club/pub...

Name these cities.

Unless you are being really careful (and where is the fun in that?) drink is no cheaper in London, Paris (4 euro for 25mls of beer last time I checked), Barcelona, Madrid, Berlin, Hamburg, Nice, Copenhagen (hollow laughter), Oslo (increase volume of laughter), Stockholm, Amsterdam, Brussels, Vienna, Munich etc etc.

If you're heading into old Eastern Europe it can start to get cheaper but the flights are getting more expensive and flight time longer.

Of course it's great to go to these places and experience new things, and in some cases food is a decent bit cheaper, but no-one in their right mind would claim that was the reason to go.

There is a reason that people come to Dublin from all over Europe for a weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Name these cities.

Unless you are being really careful (and where is the fun in that?) drink is no cheaper in London, Paris (4 euro for 25mls of beer last time I checked), Barcelona, Madrid, Berlin, Hamburg, Nice, Copenhagen (hollow laughter), Oslo (increase volume of laughter), Stockholm, Amsterdam, Brussels, Vienna, Munich etc etc.

If you're heading into old Eastern Europe it can start to get cheaper but the flights are getting more expensive and flight time longer.

Of course it's great to go to these places and experience new things, and in some cases food is a decent bit cheaper, but no-one in their right mind would claim that was the reason to go.

There is a reason that people come to Dublin from all over Europe for a weekend away.

Yeah, they've been tricked by Failte Ireland into thinking Dublin is a good place for nightlife

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

drumswan wrote: »
    What is this bolloxology? You can do the taster menu in Chapter One and a couple of glasses of craft beer for about 70 quid in Dublin, that wouldnt even cover your accommodation in a European city

When I lived in the Czech Republic, I'd have change from 40 euro for a big night out. 10 pints, dinner, few games of pool, seeing a stripper and a taxi home. Sometimes kebab also.

Go off the beaten track a bit and incredible value can be found.

I think his point was, instead of going out every friday, abstaining for 3 fridays, will fund a weekend away, which it easily would.

syklops wrote: »
    When I lived in the Czech Republic, I'd have change from 40 euro for a big night out. 10 pints, dinner, few games of pool, seeing a stripper and a taxi home. Sometimes kebab also.

Go off the beaten track a bit and incredible value can be found.

I think his point was, instead of going out every friday, abstaining for 3 fridays, will fund a weekend away, which it easily would.

10 pints a stripper and a kebab.

Living the dream!

Yeah, they've been tricked by Failte Ireland into thinking Dublin is a good place for nightlife

Um, it is a good place for nightlife...

syklops wrote: »
    Maybe thats because the average wage is 750 quid a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's a complete rip-off with restricted hours but nobody can say it's not a good location for a trip if you like pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Name these cities.

I go to London a fair bit and it has got crazy expensive to drink over there. Unless you're in a Wetherspoons I'd say Dublin is cheaper than London now (definitely wasn't that way when I moved here in 2009).

Not sure I'd agree with either Hamburg or Munich though. I was in Hamburg on a stag five weeks ago and other than one place in the middle of the Reeperbahn we didn't pay above €3 a drink and usually less than €2. I've been to Munich loads and usually spend in two nights what I'd spend in one night in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

There was 30c Ryanair flights this morning to Copenhagen ;)

Hotels can cheap if you look hard enough, there's groupons, grabones, couch surfing, free meetups, hostels and generally cheap booze in Europe! Plenty of choice really from the usual jazz here

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I go to London a fair bit and it has got crazy expensive to drink over there. Unless you're in a Wetherspoons I'd say Dublin is cheaper than London now (definitely wasn't that way when I moved here in 2009).

Not sure I'd agree with either Hamburg or Munich though. I was in Hamburg on a stag five weeks ago and other than one place in the middle of the Reeperbahn we didn't pay above €3 a drink and usually less than €2. I've been to Munich loads and usually spend in two nights what I'd spend in one night in Dublin.

Yeah Germany is cheaper but it's not WAY cheaper.

-=al=- wrote: »
    There was 30c Ryanair flights this morning to Copenhagen ;)

Hotels can cheap if you look hard enough, there's groupons, grabones, couch surfing, free meetups, hostels and generally cheap booze in Europe! Plenty of choice really from the usual jazz here

sorry - we're complaining about the price of going out in Dublin and you are recommending Copenhagen as an alternative?

have you been to copenhagen? Beautiful city but you don't visit for cheap nights out. and the nightlife isn't that great either imho, certainly no better than Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Jesus Orinoco, what's your problem. you need to calm down a bit, it's only going to the pub we're discussing, not abortion or some serious issue.

Ireland is an expensive kip, which i got sick of spending my money in - ages ago.
    That is why, i would happily SKIP going to the sh!t irish pub and spend my money abroad.

Fair enough i mentioned the 100euro wont get you far etc etc...

but, in a nutshell, what i meant is - this country is a sh!thole full of people who are just like you, and that for me means i aint going nowhere near an irish pub. sounds like torture to be honest.

I thoroughly enjoy my nights out when i'm abroad, and my main points were:
    a) it's better in EVERY way when you are in another country (not just drinking)
    b) by NOT going to the pub in ireland like a brainwashed loser, i instead SAVE the (literally) HUNDREDS of euro and spend it on trips instead.

You'll enjoy the pub though now - most people do, until they've done the leaving cert, and the novelty has worn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Jesus Orinoco, what's your problem. you need to calm down a bit, it's only going to the pub we're discussing, not abortion or some serious issue.

Ireland is an expensive kip, which i got sick of spending my money in - ages ago.
    That is why, i would happily SKIP going to the sh!t irish pub and spend my money abroad.

but, in a nutshell, what i meant is - this country is a sh!thole full of people who are just like you, and that for me means i aint going nowhere near an irish pub. sounds like torture to be honest.

b) by NOT going to the pub in ireland like a brainwashed loser, i instead SAVE the (literally) HUNDREDS of euro and spend it on trips instead.

You'll enjoy the pub though now - most people do, until they've done the leaving cert, and the novelty has worn off.

Any city is what you make it. If you're having a **** time it's because you're having a **** time. It has very little to do with your surroundings.

have you considered moving to another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sorry - we're complaining about the price of going out in Dublin and you are recommending Copenhagen as an alternative?

have you been to copenhagen? Beautiful city but you don't visit for cheap nights out. and the nightlife isn't that great either imho, certainly no better than Dublin

If you get return flights for less half the cost of bus fair into town then yeah, I am!

I had a lot of fun times in Copenhagen without spending much money at all... It's a Lovely place

b) by NOT going to the pub in ireland like a brainwashed loser

That's a nonsensical comment, people enjoying going to the pub every weekend does not mean they are brainwashed or a loser. You need to understand that people enjoy it very much. Going away regularly is not something that many people are overly bothered about too, most are happy to get away once a year some aren't bothered at all about going anywhere. For me Id much rather have the pub to look forward to after work on a Friday than sitting in 5 or 6 weekends in order to go away for one.

To be honest I'm glad you don't go to pubs as you sound like you would ruin the craic if you were out moaning and complaining about the place, the people etc.

-=al=- wrote: »
    If you get return flights for less half the cost of bus fair into town then yeah, I am!

I had a lot of fun times in Copenhagen without spending much money at all... It's a Lovely place

Well it definitely is a lovely place. 100% agree.

But I dread to think what 10 pints a stripper and a kebab would set you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Name these cities.

Unless you are being really careful (and where is the fun in that?) drink is no cheaper in Berlin

Wrong, Berlin is cheaper right across the board. Like, very noticably cheaper. As are other cities in the east of Germany. Poland is cheaper again, Czech Republic is ridiculous.

It is way more expensive in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Maybe thats because the average wage is 750 quid a month?

So?

Um, it is a good place for nightlife...

Great if you want to go to homogenous nightclubs playing nothing but the latest pop hits, drink overpriced mainstream drinks, have a dresscode that consists solely of jeans and a shirt, and go home before 3am.
    (or you can always hang around outside a shut nightclub or fast food place if you're not ready to go home)

Great if you want to go to homogenous nightclubs playing nothing but the latest pop hits, drink overpriced mainstream drinks, have a dresscode that consists solely of jeans and a shirt, and go home before 3am.
    (or you can always hang around outside a shut nightclub or fast food place if you're not ready to go home)

You are aware Dublin doesn't begin and end at Harcourt Street / Camden Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

You sound like great craic.

That's a nonsensical comment, people enjoying going to the pub every weekend does not mean they are brainwashed or a loser. You need to understand that people enjoy it very much. Going away regularly is not something that many people are overly bothered about too, most are happy to get away once a year some aren't bothered at all about going anywhere. For me Id much rather have the pub to look forward to after work on a Friday than sitting in 5 or 6 weekends in order to go away for one.

To be honest I'm glad you don't go to pubs as you sound like you would ruin the craic if you were out moaning and complaining about the place, the people etc.

I'm glad i dont feel like i'm missing anything.

and again - what is this very irish stupidity of saying "the craic"?!?!?!?!

it doesnt mean anything. it's not this mystical thing that happens just in Ireland. you have to pay through the nose for any type of "fun" in this country, and if "craic" is fun, then you are only forcing yourself into believing you are enjoying yourself because you've spent, or are spending so much of your hard earned cash on NOTHING.

Fat country women who think they're rihanna/beyonce or whatever pop muck they play in these kips, dancing away with these big horrible attitudes like they're in some glamorous VIP booth in Studio 54 - eh.... sorry to break it to you - you're in Club M or some sh!t equivalent!

what really annoys me about irish bars and pubs/clubs is this uniquely irish attitude that people have about going out here. Idiotic self obsessions making people think (with drink on them too) that they are fvckin celebrities or this "better than thou" attitude...

women are the worst to be fair - but seem to forget to drop the attitude by the end of the night (laughably at 3am at the latest) with their fake eyelashes slipping off and their make up running down their faces like 2-bit hookers... they STILL have airs and graces about them in these pigsties.

not for me. give me genuinely attractive sound and calm people over your lot any day of the week thanks.

You are aware Dublin doesn't begin and end at Harcourt Street / Camden Street?

:rolleyes:

Sorry, forgot about all those world famous trance clubs around Fleet Street/D'Olier Street

Compare Dublin's nightlife to Berlin or pretty much any UK city and we're put to shame.
    Most of our nightclubs are basically big pubs with a dancefloor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

not for me. give me genuinely attractive sound and calm people over your lot any day of the week thanks.

Good for you. Nobody cares though, hate to break it to you. Great thing about living in a democracy is that people are allowed like things you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

:rolleyes:

Sorry, forgot about all those world famous trance clubs around Fleet Street/D'Olier Street

Compare Dublin's nightlife to Berlin or pretty much any UK city and we're put to shame.
    Most of our nightclubs are basically big pubs with a dancefloor

Big difference between Berlin and Sheffield mate. Stupid statement.

• Advertisement

Good for you. Nobody cares though, hate to break it to you. Great thing about living in a democracy is that people are allowed like things you don't.

yeah nobody cares about your barn dance weekends either.
    exactly pal, spot on - i dont have to like the sh!t you're into - messy fat country barn dance dishco's.

good riddance.

when i do go out here - i quite enjoy myself actually - laughing at the sh!t shoes and shirts with big sweat patches and sh!te haircuts on the lads, and big fat women trying to emulate miley cyrus and pulling all these moves.

it's amazing actually watching it all from a distance - you're all fvckin mad.

Advertisement