Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

:rolleyes:

Sorry, forgot about all those world famous trance clubs around Fleet Street/D'Olier Street

Compare Dublin's nightlife to Berlin or pretty much any UK city and we're put to shame.
    Most of our nightclubs are basically big pubs with a dancefloor

lol. yeah, Dublin isn't Berlin. Where the hell is?!?

On the other hand there's plenty of places to have a decent night out that aren't the glorified country discos on harcourt street / camden street, as you must know.

Or maybe you actually don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

yeah nobody cares about your barn dance weekends either.
    exactly pal, spot on - i dont have to like the sh!t you're into - messy fat country barn dance dishco's.

good riddance.

when i do go out here - i quite enjoy myself actually - laughing at the sh!t shoes and shirts with big sweat patches and sh!te haircuts on the lads, and big fat women trying to emulate miley cyrus and pulling all these moves.

it's amazing actually watching it all from a distance - you're all fvckin mad.

Good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

lol. yeah, Dublin isn't Berlin. Where the hell is?!?

On the other hand there's plenty of places to have a decent night out that aren't the glorified country discos on harcourt street / camden street, as you must know.

Or maybe you actually don't?

go on so, orinoco - name where is "cool"...

and dont gimme a list of bodytonic kips like twisted pepper or bernard shaw or wherever... they're worse again. €15 euro to enter the place, 16.20 for a double Jack and coke... full of hipsters that look like colourful clowns with goth heads... music is RUBBISH, and i shouldnt say that as i DJ'd there when i was younger.

there is nowhere.

everyone to their own and all of that - but really, you'd be surprised if you just broadened your own horizons from Ireland a bit.

there's a whole world out there, that doesnt begin and end in this country.

this country (for the sake of this thread - it's pubs), is a overpriced, run-down, corrupt little forgotten about slimy rock in the north atlantic.

it's literally like "the joke of the world"

and dont gimme a list of bodytonic kips like twisted pepper or bernard shaw or wherever... they're worse again. €15 euro to enter the place, 16.20 for a double Jack and coke... full of hipsters that look like colourful clowns with goth heads... music is RUBBISH, and i shouldnt say that as i DJ'd there when i was younger.

there is nowhere.

everyone to their own and all of that - but really, you'd be surprised if you just broadened your own horizons from Ireland a bit.

this country (for the sake of this thread - it's pubs), is a overpriced, run-down, corrupt little forgotten about slimy rock in the north atlantic.

You know you really don't sound like one of these "genuinely attractive sound and calm people" you are so enamoured with (although I like those people too. you just don't sound like one).

For the record I don't go out in Dublin much anymore but yeah, I've had good nights in the Twisted Pepper and Bernard Shaw. Others I wouldn't object to are workmans club, grand social if there's something good on, button factory often have some decent stuff. Sweeneys isn't the worst place for a late drink. There's more I am sure if I could be bothered thinking about it.

Plus all the characterful and traditional pubs all over the city, personally I like them but each to his own. I find they are often a way to meet genuinely attractive sound and calm people.

there is nowhere.

Why do you bother coming back from your weekends away if you think the place is so bad. Why not leave Ireland to the people who want to live in it and who appreciate what a great little country we have.

• Advertisement

Why do you bother coming back from your weekends away if you think the place is so bad. Why not leave Ireland to the people who want to live in it and who appreciate what a great little country we have.

yeah, I would if i could, but i'm stuck here for a number of reasons for the foreseeable.

it aint great, and it's all yours. i'll just laugh at it all from the skies, and dump me sh!te down on yiz from the plane when i get the chance. hahahaha

btw, there's no need for this kind of ****e

I have travelled all over the world, I've had great nights out in amazing cities, I've lived outside Ireland for long periods. I know what the rest of the world is like, or at least I know what it is like as a tourist.

I'm also old enough to know that if you think the path to enlightenment and happiness is a better club or pub then you've got a lot to learn.

btw and fwiw, I think people in Ireland are pretty friendly. in fact contrary to popular prejudice in my experience people are more open and engaging in the north of europe and get more aloof as you go south.

yeah, I would if i could, but i'm stuck here for a number of reasons for the foreseeable.

it aint great, and it's all yours. i'll just laugh at it all from the skies, and dump me sh!te down on yiz from the plane when i get the chance. hahahaha

"genuinely attractive sound and calm people."

You know you really don't sound like one of these "genuinely attractive sound and calm people" you are so enamoured with (although I like those people too. you just don't sound like one).

For the record I don't go out in Dublin much anymore but yeah, I've had good nights in the Twisted Pepper and Bernard Shaw. Others I wouldn't object to are workmans club, grand social if there's something good on, button factory often have some decent stuff. Sweeneys isn't the worst place for a late drink. There's more I am sure if I could be bothered thinking about it.

Plus all the characterful and traditional pubs all over the city, personally I like them but each to his own. I find they are often a way to meet genuinely attractive sound and calm people.

that's literally the exact list of my WORST places. they're hovels. crap decor, crap music, extortionate prices... have you ever left Ireland, out of interest?

if you ever have, you would know for a solid fact that the pubs bars and clubs elsewhere are actually what i call "real". they are real in the sense that you know you are actually enjoying yourself and they're, for want of a better word "proper"... bars in this kip are just overprices sh!t holes for idiot gangs of feral culchies and rough dubs who like to go out and pretend they're celebs for the night, when in fact, you could go abroad, and mingle with actual celebs, in any given city...

and for the record, i never said, implied or stated i wanted to come across as calm, sound or whatever... i dont have to justify myself to a stranger on the internet - especially one who is so adamantly against my views.

you have your (lame overpriced) "fun" and i'll have mine! BYE

when in fact, you could go abroad, and mingle with actual celebs, in any given city...

oooo! "actual celebs"

you are SOOOO cool!

• Advertisement

oooo! "actual celebs"

you are SOOOO cool!

Thanks! :)

i wont be returning the "compliment"... cos clearly, you're not!

anyway, you havent answered - have you ever left the bog rock and seen the real world???

that's literally the exact list of my WORST places. they're hovels. crap decor, crap music, extortionate prices... have you ever left Ireland, out of interest?

if you ever have, you would know for a solid fact that the pubs bars and clubs elsewhere are actually what i call "real". they are real in the sense that you know you are actually enjoying yourself and they're, for want of a better word "proper"... bars in this kip are just overprices sh!t holes for idiot gangs of feral culchies and rough dubs who like to go out and pretend they're celebs for the night, when in fact, you could go abroad, and mingle with actual celebs, in any given city...

and for the record, i never said, implied or stated i wanted to come across as calm, sound or whatever... i dont have to justify myself to a stranger on the internet - especially one who is so adamantly against my views.

I've never found pubs abroad as good as pubs in Ireland (particularly in Galway and Cork which are fantastic places to go out), the Irish pub isn't famous all round the world for nothing.

I've never found pubs abroad as good as pubs in Ireland (particularly in Galway and Cork which are fantastic places to go out), the Irish pub isn't famous all round the world for nothing.

yeah they're famous because people around the world consider it a NOVELTY to go in and laugh at all the irish "drunks" that frequent them.

It says a LOT about what type of traveller you'd be by that alone - you go abroad and arent impressed by IRISH PUBS in other countries? of course, you wouldnt dare tread into a local bar or somewhere a bit different from the YEEOW GAA mass-produced leprechaun kips you're used to from home...

just - HAHAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Jesus, you get snotty with me and then it turns out the places you think are great are just Eamonn Dorans knock offs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

What type of music would you like in a club? How is having some z list celeb posing in a club "real" compared to your normal friendly joe soap. I have no interest in celebs, nor would I find it fun to look at what people are wearing from the corner of a bar. The Button Factory (last time I was there it was The Temple Bar Music Centre) always played some good music, saw Altern-8 there.

No you don't have to justify anything but you are here "giving" your opinion, so people are responding.

One of my mates is like yer man going on about Irish nightlife being ****. He's very ugly and quite reserved, has low confidence and insecure so uses the whole 'Ireland nightlife is ****' excuse instead of trying to solve his problems. I'd say this guy is fairly similar. I don't always enjoy clubs because I'm not much of a dancer. But that's my issue not the clubs fault for providing a place for people like dancing to dance. I also think despite bowing out of this thread he'll have to try unbelievably hard to not give in to his desire to post a response.

Thanks! :)

i wont be returning the "compliment"... cos clearly, you're not!

anyway, you havent answered - have you ever left the bog rock and seen the real world???

read the thread genius

yeah they're famous because people around the world consider it a NOVELTY to go in and laugh at all the irish "drunks" that frequent them.

It says a LOT about what type of traveller you'd be by that alone - you go abroad and arent impressed by IRISH PUBS in other countries? of course, you wouldnt dare tread into a local bar or somewhere a bit different from the YEEOW GAA mass-produced leprechaun kips you're used to from home...

just - HAHAHAHAHA

I rarely go into Irish bars abroad unless its to watch a GAA or soccer match. I was talking about the craic in bars in general, the atmosphere nicer in a good bar in Ireland than probably any pub I've been in abroad and would always be of the opinion that a good night out here is as good as or better than anywhere.

Jesus, you get snotty with me and then it turns out the places you think are great are just Eamonn Dorans knock offs

Yeah we get it, you're in Berghain every weekend I'm sure.

All hail the Captain

I rarely go into Irish bars abroad unless its to watch a GAA or soccer match. I was talking about the craic in bars in general, the atmosphere nicer in a good bar in Ireland than probably any pub I've been in abroad and would always be of the opinion that a good night out here is as good as or better than anywhere.

still, i will re-iterate there is NO SUCH THING AS "CRAIC"

• Advertisement

One of my mates is like yer man going on about Irish nightlife being ****. He's very ugly and quite reserved, has low confidence and insecure so uses the whole 'Ireland nightlife is ****' excuse instead of trying to solve his problems. I'd say this guy is fairly similar. I don't always enjoy clubs because I'm not much of a dancer. But that's my issue not the clubs fault for providing a place for people like dancing to dance. I also think despite bowing out of this thread he'll have to try unbelievably hard to not give in to his desire to post a response.

hahahaha

we all know when people say "one of my mates" - it means yourself.

you poor thing. i'd hate to be ugly.
    i'm certainly not reserved, if anything i've too much confidence and i know from working in the nightlife industry for a decade that it IS in fact, SH!T.

your post somehow reminded me of that story about the deformed pig in yesterdays paper... the one born in china with a d!ck on its head.

Yeah we get it, you're in Berghain every weekend I'm sure.

All hail the Captain

you still never admitted you're full of sh!t and have no argument cos you've never left this bog hole of a country..... :confused::confused:

just - HAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, you do realise that isn't what he said?

I guess we have to add 'inability to read' to 'fixation with actual celebs' in your debit column.

you still never admitted you're full of sh!t and have no argument cos you've never left this bog hole of a country..... :confused::confused:

post 1959

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

your post somehow reminded me of that story about the deformed pig in yesterdays paper... the one born in china with a d!ck on its head.

A wall street journal reader I see..............

still, i will re-iterate there is NO SUCH THING AS "CRAIC"

There is as I experience it regularly.

hahahaha

we all know when people say "one of my mates" - it means yourself.

you poor thing. i'd hate to be ugly.
    i'm certainly not reserved, if anything i've too much confidence and i know from working in the nightlife industry for a decade that it IS in fact, SH!T.

That literally makes no sense. How could it be me when I say I like Irish nightlife? Even for a boards troll that's shocking comprehension. Are you also making 10k a week and bang 10/10s every weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Anita Blow wrote: »
    You sound like great craic.

Actually, Craic is his middle name.

Unfortunately, his first name is Anti

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There is as I experience it regularly.

There isn't though, there's fun, there's conversation, there's laughing and joking, but their is NO magic craic cloud that only exists in Ireland. Craic is just a buzzword that people use, it's not a real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

syklops wrote: »
    So?

Think he means it's grand if you're a tourist from a country with a higher standard of living but it's not a cheap night for most people that live there

Advertisement