Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pub trade is dying - Minimum price for Alcohol?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

drumswan wrote: »
    Um, it is a good place for nightlife...

Eh, One of the arguments is that were so pissed were fighting in the streets how would that be a good night out if true.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    There isn't though, there's fun, there's conversation, there's laughing and joking, but their is NO magic craic cloud that only exists in Ireland. Craic is just a buzzword that people use, it's not a real thing.

Its a word used to describe the general fun, enjoyment and atmosphere in a pub though and particularly in an Irish pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I rarely go into Irish bars abroad unless its to watch a GAA or soccer match. I was talking about the craic in bars in general, the atmosphere nicer in a good bar in Ireland than probably any pub I've been in abroad and would always be of the opinion that a good night out here is as good as or better than anywhere.

I don't think it has to be in an Irish pub though, a good night out is what you make of it and the company you keep IMO.
    For instance the best "craic" I ever had was in Uni in Scotland, the best years of my life.
    I also found the best place to be for Paddy's Day was outside Ireland as the Irish abroad always make a better effort to make the best of the day and celebrate being Irish.
    I don't think every pub in Ireland has guaranteed "craic", but overall a lot of them have it so I partly agree there.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I don't think it has to be in an Irish pub though, a good night out is what you make of it and the company you keep IMO.
    For instance the best "craic" I ever had was in Uni in Scotland, the best years of my life.
    I also found the best place to be for Paddy's Day was outside Ireland as the Irish abroad always make a better effort to make the best of the day and celebrate being Irish.
    I don't think every pub in Ireland has guaranteed "craic", but overall a lot of them have it so I partly agree there.

Well I agree that not all pubs are good and there are good pubs abroad. Particularly in places like Edinburgh in fact a place I love going. In general though I would have to say Ireland is very hard to beat for nights out.

Well I agree that not all pubs are good and there are good pubs abroad. Particularly in places like Edinburgh in fact a place I love going. In general though I would have to say Ireland is very hard to beat for nights out.

Rose tinted glasses, Ireland is no better for a night out than anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Different people like different things shocker!

There is no magic button that people flip to "Have The Craic™" in Ireland, you can have the same "Craic™" anywhere.

I've had some great nights out in Ireland, I've also had **** ones. Same in Scotland, Manchester, on 1 of the Greek Islands, Berlin (actually, I've only had good times in Berlin.)

I was out last night, spent €70, including €30 on taxis, had a few pints, a few vodkas, had a laugh. But I'm under no illusions that if I was anywhere in the world, with the same bunch of people, I'd have had a laugh anyway.

And to yer man asking about the places in Dublin, The Pepper, The Grand Social, The Pint, The Hangar, District 8, are all quality, and have had some respectable acts, both in the past and in the future, and I'd rather have them than some cheesy "Dishco" like Coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

anncoates wrote: »
    Think he means it's grand if you're a tourist from a country with a higher standard of living but it's not a cheap night for most people that live there

Well as a former resident of the country I can say that spending 1000czk/40 euro on a night out is probably equivalent to spending 100 on a night out here, but he was asking about cheap places to go in Europe, and was arguing you couldnt go some where else and spend less than just drinking in Dublin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

still, i will re-iterate there is NO SUCH THING AS "CRAIC"

Not with you anyway.

I've lived in many of the places mentioned in this thread as far better than Dublin and guess what? They are full of eejits complaining, wishing they were somewhere else too. Sad really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Its all the excuse they need to sow up and further restrict something but where the real benefit of those it affects most cant be actually be measured or will obviously not make a damn bit of difference or even may make things worse in the case of people who are addicted to alcohol, fcuk it sure they will drink whatever they can get their hands on at any cost financial or otherwise.
    So that its a safety concern and for our health, and what about those that already drink responsibly, yet another example of the FG/FF pontificating moral values to us, in a virtual two party dictatorship. Blasphemy, criminalising sexual consenting adults, smoking and now drink, I swear next they will want to tax us to have cars but pontificate to us to leave then at home and pay higher rates for a non functional, ineffective, unsafe public transport, oh that's already happening too.cnuts. should a moved before I tied my flag to the mast.if anyone ever mentions unification regarding the north I hope the nationalists up there realise how lucky there are not to have our parochial lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Heard from somebody last night that it was the Vintners holding them over a barrel, that's what sealed it not the nanny state libtard bullsh1t from the likes of Shorthall.

I appreciate the fact that these fcukers have had a drop off in trade but they've no right to start mobilising and threatening to get all their members to vote against the government in the the next General Election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

they've no right to start mobilising and threatening to get all their members to vote against the government in the the next General Election.
    Err, yes they do, they have exactly that right..

Some ideas to revive the dying pub trade:

-Allow only pubs to sell imported cigarettes at discount rates. And impose a ban on cigarette companies from cutting off or reducing their supply to pubs, but allow them to reduce their cost only in pubs.

-Lower the cut-off time for buying alcohol in places other than pubs from 10pm to 6pm. Would catch a lot of the young worker pre-drinkers and students who leave it too late to buy in and are always going to hit the town rather than stay at home in their grotty flats and student accommodation.

-Legalise cannabis and allow it to be sold only in licensed pubs (it's a biggie I know!) A similar idea to the cannabis coffee shops in Amsterdam except without the simultaneous ban on selling alcohol. Tobacco/Cannabis/Alcohol all legally sold in the one establishment, choose your fancy, be responsible for your own decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

K4t wrote: »

-Lower the cut-off time for buying alcohol in places other than pubs from 10pm to 6pm. Would catch a lot of the young worker pre-drinkers and students who leave it too late to buy in and are always going to hit the town rather than stay at home in their grotty flats and student accommodation.

You've just caught out every worker in the country who finishes 5pm or 5:30pm and has a commute.

Every worker has some sort of a commute and they can't buy a bottle of wine for the evening so as to help the pub trade.

Well they can buy what they like but first say no way boss, won't do overtime and then they run to Supervalu and try to get served before 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

:rolleyes:

Sorry, forgot about all those world famous trance clubs around Fleet Street/D'Olier Street

Compare Dublin's nightlife to Berlin or pretty much any UK city and we're put to shame.
    Most of our nightclubs are basically big pubs with a dancefloor
    Nightlife doesn't just mean nightclubs. Personally I'd prefer Dublin's nightlife of pubs to berlins one of nightclubs

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

-Legalise cannabis and allow it to be sold only in licensed pubs (it's a biggie I know!) A similar idea to the cannabis coffee shops in Amsterdam except without the simultaneous ban on selling alcohol. Tobacco/Cannabis/Alcohol all legally sold in the one establishment, choose your fancy, be responsible for your own decisions.
    There's a reason cannabis and alcohol are forbidden to be sold in the same place in Amsterdam, because it's a combination that very rarely works out if you take them in even moderate amounts, it usually leaves people too messed up to take care of themselves, or even worse, clinging to the toilet, if they can make it that far. I understand, small amounts of both, can be a very nice experience, but it's a very easy combination to overdo. People can't even drink alcohol responsibly, adding cannabis to the mix is just a whole different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

There's a reason cannabis and alcohol are forbidden to be sold in the same place in Amsterdam, because it's a combination that very rarely works out if you take them in even moderate amounts, it usually leaves people too messed up to take care of themselves, or even worse, clinging to the toilet, if they can make it that far. I understand, small amounts of both, can be a very nice experience, but it's a very easy combination to overdo. People can't even drink alcohol responsibly, adding cannabis to the mix is just a whole different ball game.

I agree. In Colorado, Washington state and now Oregon and DC, you can buy marijuana in licensed shops but not where alcohol is sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kind of a moot point becaues in some places they just put up a dividing wall and treat the establishment as two sperate entities.

I don't think trying to monoplise the cigarette industry would work anyway: the smoking industry would never stand for it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Err, yes they do, they have exactly that right..

Some ideas to revive the dying pub trade:

-Allow only pubs to sell imported cigarettes at discount rates. And impose a ban on cigarette companies from cutting off or reducing their supply to pubs, but allow them to reduce their cost only in pubs.

Why is the Pub trade here some kind of sacred cow, They are private business Can't run your business ? then go out of business. But but what about them people in the country, They only have contact with people when going to the pub.... I have an idea try meeting people outside a pub Cafe, park anywhere.

Why is the Pub trade here some kind of sacred cow, They are private business Can't run your business ? then go out of business. But but what about them people in the country, They only have contact with people when going to the pub.... I have an idea try meeting people outside a pub Cafe, park anywhere.
    I've never posted in this thread before nor do I drink anymore; I was merely brainstorming some ideas. I always thought the pub trade was synonymous with Irish society and entrepreneurship in many ways; though maybe that's not a good thing, and perhaps we should we let it die like any private enterprise which cannot remain profitable. Or maybe we should rethink our attitudes towards drinking but attempt to help revive the pub trade which has been a place of comfort and a place of community to millions of Irish people over the years, and could symbolise a new Ireland. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

I don't think trying to monoplise the cigarette industry would work anyway: the smoking industry would never stand for it.
    It wouldn't have to stand for it; It would be on its knees where it belongs. :pac:

What I'm suggesting is an enforced price discrimination initiative, reducing the price of cigarettes in pubs as opposed to other places to attract people to pubs. Of course keeping them there for more than the minute it takes to buy the fags is the problem; perhaps a condition that they buy at least one beverage or item or spend a certain amount before they can buy the fags and must show their receipt on attempting a purchase (the other items cost + the fags would still be less than the selling price of fags elsewhere?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Its funny, fine gael are on one hand saying we have a problem with alcohol and we need to change our attitude towards drink. On the other they're saying pubs need to be protected and they want us to go and spend money there. Just introduce a €100 a year pub tax on us and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I always thought the pub trade was synonymous with Irish society and entrepreneurship in many ways;
    Look at the number of TD's who've been publicans.

Also it's not a business like others as pubs can veto new pubs starting nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Local pubs are dying means less money being spent locally

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Apart from minimum pricing on alcohol the department of the environment is also planning to introduce legislation that will require householders to pay a minimum price per kilo for domestic waste and the price per kilo will be determined by the department and apply nationwide. From July 2016 you will no longer be able to empty your wheelie bin or dump a bag of rubbish for a fixed price, it will be weighed and you will pay based on the weight. The legislastion they plan to introduce will not exclude a company from charging an annual service fee on top of your price per kilo.

You can be Goddamned sure that the price per kilo will only ever go up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Palz

Get ready for an exodus to Newry (and booze cruises).

The irony is that this party (Fine Gael) badgered FF into lowering the duty on wine. Which they di. because there were too many people shopping up North.

Now as Government, they plan to up the duty.

Politics. Don't understand the hypocrisy myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Palz

Get ready for an exodus to Newry (and booze cruises).

The irony is that this party (Fine Gael) badgered FF into lowering the duty on wine. Which they did. because there were too many people shopping up North.

Now as Government, they plan to up the duty.

Politics. Don't understand the hypocrisy myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 PoxyBollock

The Th!ng wrote: »
    Apart from minimum pricing on alcohol the department of the environment is also planning to introduce legislation that will require householders to pay a minimum price per kilo for domestic waste and the price per kilo will be determined by the department and apply nationwide. From July 2016 you will no longer be able to empty your wheelie bin or dump a bag of rubbish for a fixed price, it will be weighed and you will pay based on the weight. The legislastion they plan to introduce will not exclude a company from charging an annual service fee on top of your price per kilo.

You can be Goddamned sure that the price per kilo will only ever go up.

Illegal dumping would skyrocket.

Where did you see this information btw?

Do a Google for "pay by weight legislation".

Wow, Government really are idiot's We Ireland already have a massive tipping problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

?

It already has, as more and more people have been taken out of the free bin scheme.
    Something similar happened in the UK and it forced them to rethink the policy.

• Advertisement

This taken from the following Link.
    Among the practices the minister wants to stamp out is below-cost selling. He described it as a “race to the bottom” that had a destabilising effect on the market and hindered badly needed investment in waste treatment.

Advertisement